PDA

View Full Version : Play Offs or the Draft Pick?

Oviedo
12-09-2012, 11:49 PM
What do you think: make the play offs or get a better draft pick? Hard to see this team as anything other than one and done. However, not making the play offs could mean we are drafting maybe 5 picks sooner...in all rounds.

Thoughts?

Eddie Spaghetti
12-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Thats easy.

Playoffs.

phillyesq
12-10-2012, 01:35 AM
Thats easy.

Playoffs.

Agree. It isn't even a question for me. We've seen how well this team can play. If they get hot and Ben is back in form, anything can happen in the postseason.

pittpete
12-10-2012, 01:46 AM
Playoffs, no doubt about it.

DBR96A
12-10-2012, 03:29 AM
Playoffs. I'm sick of this team not going more than two seasons in a row.

flippy
12-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Give me playoffs or give me death....ok, not really, but i choose playoffs.

papillon
12-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Playoffs and it isn't even close for me. I hate watching football games that don't involve the Steelers. Once the Steelers are done playing the football season is over for me.

Playoffs it is!

Pappy

Oviedo
12-10-2012, 08:33 AM
I agree with the concensus of play offs. Let's hope the boys on the field can make it happen.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-10-2012, 11:57 AM
I agree 100% with the answer playoffs. I also disagree with the thinking that this team is necessarily one and done. Unlike last year when I had no faith that this team could make any noise, I can see the entire AFC up for grabs. There is no team that is so good that I expect them to dominate us if we meet. I think that this team could be poised for a 2005 type run if we get in and healthy. I think that any team can be had if we get the likes of Ike, Wood, any RT, our receivers, Ben, Troy at 100%. The one game that would scare me the most is Denver without Clark, but that would likely be a second round game so we have a way to go before we get there.

feltdizz
12-10-2012, 12:09 PM
some fans think draft position on opening day kick off... that has to suck.

playoffs all day. The draft will be there regardless so lets see as much Steeler football as possible.

NW Steeler
12-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Playoffs for sure. But boy it is maddening how this team collectively craps its pants almost every week after a "big" win. Last week this team looked like it truly was going to be a contender. No idea what the hell that was we saw yesterday.

SidSmythe
12-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Draft Picks!! Don't talk about draft picks!! Are you Kidding Me?? Draft Picks???

Going back to last year...this same question was asked. I say whether we drafted #14 or #24, we would have picked the same guy.

Shawn
12-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Not to offend but this is a silly question.

Playoffs...don't have to think twice about it.

RuthlessBurgher
12-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Not to offend but this is a silly question.

Playoffs...don't have to think twice about it.

Yup...when I saw thread title, I was insulted that this was even a question in anyone's mind for even a microsecond.

BigRob
12-10-2012, 03:11 PM
What do you think: make the play offs or get a better draft pick? Hard to see this team as anything other than one and done. However, not making the play offs could mean we are drafting maybe 5 picks sooner...in all rounds.

Thoughts?

Playoffs, 5 picks earlier doesn't make that huge of a difference in Talent. It's not the same as picking in the top ten versus the 20's.

Oviedo
12-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Yup...when I saw thread title, I was insulted that this was even a question in anyone's mind for even a microsecond.

Why would you be insulted?

eniparadoxgma
12-10-2012, 05:52 PM

Agreed.

Who would throw away a chance at the Superbowl for a higher draft pick? The purpose of playing the game is to win the Superbowl and to get a shot at the Superbowl you must first get into the playoffs. It isn't to wind up with a higher draft pick and then hope you get into the playoffs and get a shot at the Superbowl another time.

That's a defeatist attitude that I believe more suitable for Browns or Bengals fans.

This thread is mind boggling.

Jigawatts
12-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Why would you be insulted?

Because this is something a cleveland browns fan would say.

flippy
12-10-2012, 06:14 PM
whether we drafted #14 or #24, we would have picked the same guy.

This is a good point. Who cares where you draft. It's a crap shoot. Great players come in all rounds and many go undrafted. Picking later also means players are more affordable.

I personally like picking 32. Someone will always drop. Lots of guys drop in every round. And lots of scouts get guys wrong.

I dont care about sexy picks. I'd just rather build a core that will help me compete for a SuperBowl every year. The only exception would be if I need a QB. Then a higher pick might be beneficial.

Oviedo
12-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Because this is something a cleveland browns fan would say.

So you think by discussing a possible outcome we somehow send out a cosmic vibration that will cause one or another event to actually occur? Really?

Nothing in this thread said anything about wanting to lose. The innocent question is will you be satisfied with a one and done like last year or is there a "silver lining" to not making the play offs. Of course we all want to make the play offs but we may not. Talking about it doen't mean there is a greater chance it happens.

flippy
12-10-2012, 06:29 PM
So you think by discussing a possible outcome we somehow send out a cosmic vibration that will cause one or another event to actually occur? Really?

Nothing in this thread said anything about wanting to lose. The innocent question is will you be satisfied with a one and done like last year or is there a "silver lining" to not making the play offs. Of course we all want to make the play offs but we may not. Talking about it doen't mean there is a greater chance it happens.

I'm sure everyone secretly thinks if we don't win the SuperBowl, it might have been nice to have lost every game and got the #1 pick in the draft. But that season would be nearly unbearable. 1 loss gets into our collective psyche in a bad way. We're always better off winning every game we can. It gets into the culture. And winning becomes the standard and the only thing that's acceptable.

There's more to it than 1 and done. No matter what the result of a playoff game, everyone goes in expecting to win. Even if you think it's a long shot, you have to secretly think about beating anyone on any day. It's like playing out the scenario, what would I do if I won the lottery. Everyone knows they'll never win, but that moment you let yourself think about winning is better than winning could ever be.

It's all about hope and anticipation. That's where the real excitement lies. And no one would ever give that up. I dont even think a Browns fan would either.

Jigawatts
12-10-2012, 06:35 PM
It's silly to suggest the Steelers are 1 and done. Maybe they sneak in and start clicking at the right time. Maybe they go to Denver and let Tebow beat them. You never know. I suppose they shouldn't have played the game yesterday because it was already a given the the Chargers wouldn't win.

Honestly, this is something I hear year after year from browns fans at this point in the season. They would much rather lose just to get a better draft pick.

feltdizz
12-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Carolina fans are doing the same thing. Even the radio station is asking if it would be better to lose out then win yesterday.