PDA

View Full Version : You guys a are soooo funny

Captain Lemming
12-09-2012, 11:39 PM
One week the team is useless, the next we are SB favorites, lose and its time to clean house, 1 win and "nobody wants the meet the Steelers in the playoffs".
Now we are back at having no chance after JUST LAST WEEK peoplen were convince we are "just hitting our stride" for a great playoff run.

If we win the next two ya'll will start crowing again. :)

Oviedo
12-09-2012, 11:41 PM
Such is the nature of being fans of a team as schizophrenic as ours.

lloydroid
12-09-2012, 11:48 PM

BINGO, on $

Captain Lemming
12-09-2012, 11:56 PM

Heck we are 7-6 and would make the playoffs today.....that says we aint the only schizophrenic team out there.

We Steeler fans are the only ones who see SB in every victory.

pittpete
12-10-2012, 01:39 AM
You watch any of the games?

Starlifter
12-10-2012, 01:42 AM
the problem with this year is the Steelers are engaging in the art of illusion. And like all good magic, no one can figure out what the truth is so we flip and flop and overreact to each game. Is this a BAD team that overachieved in some of it's wins (such as the giants and the rats) thus giving us the illusion of a SB run or is this a GOOD team that underachieved against pretty much the entire AFC west (with the titans thrown in for good measure) thus giving us the illusion of another short exit in january.

I seriously doubt anyone can tell any of us what the identity of the steelers is right now. and as a result, we're all losing our collective minds......

Captain Lemming
12-10-2012, 03:44 AM
You watch any of the games?

No, not since yesterday. :)

But my point Pete which you took issue with after we beat NYG and people were thinking it meant something is that people have these ridiculous swings based on single games. That is ridiculous.

Carolina just whooped the Falcons. What does that prove? Nothing.

Captain Lemming
12-10-2012, 04:08 AM
the problem with this year is the Steelers are engaging in the art of illusion. And like all good magic, no one can figure out what the truth is so we flip and flop and overreact to each game. Is this a BAD team that overachieved in some of it's wins (such as the giants and the rats) thus giving us the illusion of a SB run or is this a GOOD team that underachieved against pretty much the entire AFC west (with the titans thrown in for good measure) thus giving us the illusion of another short exit in january.

I seriously doubt anyone can tell any of us what the identity of the steelers is right now. and as a result, we're all losing our collective minds......

We are 7-6, neither horrible nor great. We could go on a hot streak like last years Giants or fall flat. But the inconsistency of this 7-6 team makes it impossible to have confidence either way. That is why these extreme swings in our expectation are silly.

fezziwig
12-10-2012, 07:45 AM
When you beat the good teams and lose to the bad teams, I put that 95% on coaching. Yep, we had injuries, players playing out of position, guys stepping up for injured players but, what team doesn't face their problems ?

14 regular season wins against the Chargers and a 4-8 team comes in and hands the Steelers a smack down. Under Tomlin we have had a lot of records crumble because he or his staff doesn't have it.

We used to never give up TD's in the first quarter.

We used to not allow back to back 100 yard rushers.

We used to win most of our openers.

Watch this season, we will lose the record of never losing to an afc north/division rival in the playoffs.

feltdizz
12-10-2012, 11:27 AM

But my point Pete which you took issue with after we beat NYG and people were thinking it meant something is that people have these ridiculous swings based on single games. That is ridiculous.

Actually it proves that Carolina has a pretty good formula for beating/competing with the Falcons ... (they were a Cam fumble on 3rd and 1 from winning the first game in ATL)

It also proves that ATL isn't who they thought they were... as the Panthers told Ryan to "get the f*#k off their field" lol...

pittpete
12-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Lemmo, that comparison is useless.
The Falcons are an 11-2 team.
They lost to a bad Carolina team.
Any given Sunday my man.
With this team its every other given Sunday.
If you watched that game and the Cleveland game before, and you dont have a rotten taste in your mouth I don't know what to tell ya.
When we lose, we lose bad.
It doesnt sit right with most diehards.
If we play a crap game and win by 1, Im happy but still have concerns.
Just the way it is,just the way it will always be with some.
This is a board and you are entitled to your opinions as I am mine.
One thing is we are all fans of the greatest team in NFL history no matter how we take it week by week....;)

Mister Pittsburgh
12-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Any given Sunday my man.
If you watched that game and the Cleveland game before, and you dont have a rotten taste in your mouth I don't know what to tell ya.
One thing is we are all fans of the greatest team in NFL history no matter how we take it week by week....;)

The comparison is the same, we have just had to endure 50% of our roster injured and missing games at some point this season. Plus, some really young, or really old starters. That is why we are week to week up and down. We haven't had the same starting units on the field at the same time this entire season.

our playoff hopes lie with the possibility that we may have most our starters back by the wild card round if we can secure a playoff spot.

pittpete
12-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Excuses,excuses,excuses

Mister Pittsburgh
12-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Excuses,excuses,excuses

Or reality, reality, reality...depends how you want to view it.

pfelix73
12-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Yea, it is reality. Once they make the playoffs, everyone is 0-0 and anything can happen. They are a dangerous team because of what they are capable of. For example- Giants and Ravens game. I would imagine Ben will have a better game this week. He always suks in games right after he comes back from an injury.

Dee Dub
12-10-2012, 08:50 PM

As far as I am concerned, it isn't just one single game. It's the fact that this team didn't show up versus Oakland, Tennessee, Cleveland, and San Diego. Teams that are a combined 17-35. And then they struggled against Philadelphia and Kansas City who are a combined 6-20. Carolina just whooping the Falcons in my mind doesn't compare to that. There is a serious problem on this team.

But, I will be rooting for them again next weekend.

feltdizz
12-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Falcon example is horrible. Look at who they played this year...

Kansas City - Losing Record
Denver - Great team but lost their first few bc Peyton wasn't in football shape
San Diego - Losing Record
Carolina - Losing Record
Washington - Losing Record
Oakland - Losing Record
Philadelphia - Losing Record
Dallas - 6-6, could have a losing record after today
New Orleans - lost, Losing Record
Arizona - Losing Record
Tampa Bay - 6-6, could have a losing record after today
New Orleans - Losing Record
Carolina - Losing Record

I copied this from another site but you get the point. ATL isn't a good example because they haven't proven they are legit in the post season.

pittpete
12-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Reality is all NFL teams have injuries.
Injuries had nothing to do with yesterdays loss
Injuries didnt make the Steelers turn the ball over against Cleveland.
I could go on.
The fact is I'm too much of a realist and not so optimistic about this teams next 3 games.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Reality is all NFL teams have injuries.
Injuries had nothing to do with yesterdays loss
Injuries didnt make the Steelers turn the ball over against Cleveland.
I could go on.
The fact is I'm too much of a realist and not so optimistic about this teams next 3 games.

yeah, injuries happen in the NFL, but this is the worst I have seen the injury bug attack the Steelers. No other team in the NFL is 7-6 and has come close to enduring the injuries we have had.

Slapstick
12-11-2012, 06:50 AM
One week the team is useless, the next we are SB favorites, lose and its time to clean house, 1 win and "nobody wants the meet the Steelers in the playoffs".
Now we are back at having no chance after JUST LAST WEEK peoplen were convince we are "just hitting our stride" for a great playoff run.

Back to Lemming's original point...

It's funny because it's true...

SteelCrazy
12-11-2012, 07:13 AM
this is all coaching........believe it or not it comes down to the effort of the head coach. if wifey is complaining about time spent, then expect a lose. some teams this doesnt apply to, but teams with talent, like ours, comes down to research and game planning. i know, im a former nfl head coach. questions please.

Sword
12-11-2012, 09:15 AM
When you beat the good teams and lose to the bad teams, I put that 95% on coaching. Yep, we had injuries, players playing out of position, guys stepping up for injured players but, what team doesn't face their problems ?

14 regular season wins against the Chargers and a 4-8 team comes in and hands the Steelers a smack down. Under Tomlin we have had a lot of records crumble because he or his staff doesn't have it.

Watch this season, we will lose the record of never losing to an afc north/division rival in the playoffs.
I agree!!!!

BURGH86STEEL
12-11-2012, 09:47 AM

This pretty much sums up how many fans of this team feel. Either the team is SB favorites or they suck. There is no middle ground for some fans. This team is in the middle of a playoff race and they still have a shot to win the division. There is not one dominant team in the league. If the Steelers make the playoffs anything can happen.

BURGH86STEEL
12-11-2012, 09:50 AM

It's 80% on the players. They are the people that step onto the field and play the game. When are some of you guys going to realize that records don't mean anything when teams face of against one another? There are no easy wins in the NFL. Execution and mistakes by players generally determine the out come of games. Stop living in the past.

feltdizz
12-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Back to Lemming's original point...

It's funny because it's true...

but it's no fun... we aren't paid to be fans. It's boring being all mutual fundy with the Steelers...

Shawn
12-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Fans overreact...so I attempt not to overreact to their overreaction. :) The fact is this, the Steelers are stocked with talent on both sides of the ball. But, I have noticed that the Steelers seem to lack identity and passion. I think that comes with numerous injuries, and a new OC. Who are the Steelers? They are a team with one of the best WR core in the NFL with a franchise QB throwing to them. They have a very solid secondary, and a veteran front that knows success in crunch time. The Steelers can beat anyone, including the Patriots (who are looking really good). Will they? Depends on how much they want it.

flippy
12-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Fans overreact...so I attempt not to overreact to their overreaction.

Overreaction peaks in the moment and slowly dissipates. We all overreact in our own way. And we all get over it in our own way. If we lived isolated from one another, it would disappear almost immediately. Unfortunately overreaction amplifies overreaction. It's contagious.

Most of the overreaction happens immediately following any play, any series, any game. If we are at the game, we're impacted by the crowd around us. At home we're impacted by our friends. On this board, we're impacted by a bunch of fellow die hards in a forum where people compelled to respond to get something off their chest or complain.

Chat is the real insanity of this board. The posts that happen during the game set the tone for the following week. After a loss, we race to complain about something. Ideas that we've let go re-emerge when others mention them. And we get riled up into a frenzy.

It's physically impossible not to overreact to overreaction. Or at least I think it's so.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-11-2012, 11:57 AM
The funny thing is that it is not the same people every week just changing their mind.

Usually, after a win, the rose-colored glasses crowd comes out and talks. "See, this team is poised to make a run, just wait until we get healthy, nobody wants to see us in the playoffs, it is just like 2005".

Then, after a loss, those same people are too busy to post and the sky-is-falling crowd is suddenly revitalized after their week of silence. "This team can't beat the worst teams in the league, fire the coach, cut the offense, cut the defense, everyone sucks".

You just have to wait and see if we win or lose to know which posters will be posting for the next seven days.

feltdizz
12-11-2012, 12:06 PM
After watching the Texans last night and ATL this weekend...

I feel better about our 7-6 team then I do about those 11-2 and 10-3 teams. Ryan looks average and has a history of bad play in the playoffs. Schaub looked awful last night....and Schaub was in street clothes last year when they finally won a playoff game and gave the Ravens a run in Baltimore.

I think most fans would just like to see some momentum... instead of seeing another letdown. I still think something is wrong when you can look at a Steeler schedule and circle all the "bad teams" and call them toss ups because you know how this team plays vs bad teams.

Is it really asking too much for a Steeler team to dominate a few bad NFL teams? If so... then maybe we aren't overreacting.

Slapstick
12-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Every team has the talent to compete in the NFL...

ikestops85
12-11-2012, 01:27 PM
The funny thing is that it is not the same people every week just changing their mind.

Usually, after a win, the rose-colored glasses crowd comes out and talks. "See, this team is poised to make a run, just wait until we get healthy, nobody wants to see us in the playoffs, it is just like 2005".

Then, after a loss, those same people are too busy to post and the sky-is-falling crowd is suddenly revitalized after their week of silence. "This team can't beat the worst teams in the league, fire the coach, cut the offense, cut the defense, everyone sucks".

You just have to wait and see if we win or lose to know which posters will be posting for the next seven days.

It IS just like 2005! ;)

Captain Lemming
12-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Any given Sunday my man.

You miss my point Pete. You guys go from "concerned" to this team is SB bound and back to being "done" again in the span of a month. Heck look at the Nati game.

In ONE GAME between half one to half 2 the opinion pedulum swug from "pathetic" to we are back as a top tier team.

We beat the NYG the next week and everyone thought it was a big deal. I warned that it was premature, beating the Giants who ALWAYS lose these kinds of games. YOU mocked my point and here we are today....concerned.

THIS TEAM HAS NEVER given reason for great confidence BECAUSE of the inconsistency you cite.

Still it is not inconceivable that we could go on a tear if the right players are healthy.

I have not seen reason this whole season for being overly confident nor despondent. Yet many here bounce between those extremes with every win or loss.

After the Giants game and the Baltimore game I was "hopeful". Nothing changes with this loss.

Captain Lemming
12-11-2012, 01:59 PM

Interesting point, there is SOME of that. But there are people on this thread who have in fact made the very pendulum swing I describe. I find it hilarious.

flippy
12-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Interesting point, there is SOME of that. But there are people on this thread who have in fact made the very pendulum swing I describe. I find it hilarious.

I'm not sure it's so black and white. Why can't both sides be right simultaneously? This team is a great big ball of greatness and turds rolled up into one. At any moment, anything is possible.

Maybe there is no filter that we see the team through. We just see it for what it is. Maybe it's a Monet effect where it looks beautiful from afar, but when you see it up close you see the mess.

As bad as our OLine plays, Ben's still a potential miracle worker. As weak as our D front 7 has played, our DBs have been playing great. And we're always just 1 play away from Troy, Timmons, Deebo making a game changing play.

We're a beautiful mess.

skyhawk
12-11-2012, 08:01 PM
It is a beautiful mess.

Blames

1) Coaching. Tomlin's the head coach. But Haley IMO get's a D- so far this year.
2) Ben being out adds to the issue of problems on the offense. Haley + Ben out = INCONSISTENCY
3) Defense cannot force turnovers like they used to - therefore the offense is CONSISTENTLY getting poor field position and can do nothing with it (more the offenses fault obviously).
4) All of our "talented" WRs just lack the ability to get open and win their matchups. No one is physical enough to be a top tier WR.
5) Lack of audibles at the LOS. SD has TEN people on the LOS (most of th game) and we call a WR screen while Paulsen is getting blown up?

I feel the D has it's issues too, mainly 12 yard cushsions on all 3rd and 1s and 15 yard cushions on the BEVVY of 3rd and 10+ yards all game. What is LeBeau doing? There were earlier games the DBs were manning up at the line and playing well and shutting people down. No longer.

lloydroid
12-11-2012, 09:02 PM
You miss my point Pete. You guys go from "concerned" to this team is SB bound and back to being "done" again in the span of a month. Heck look at the Nati game.

In ONE GAME between half one to half 2 the opinion pedulum swug from "pathetic" to we are back as a top tier team.

We beat the NYG the next week and everyone thought it was a big deal. I warned that it was premature, beating the Giants who ALWAYS lose these kinds of games. YOU mocked my point and here we are today....concerned.

THIS TEAM HAS NEVER given reason for great confidence BECAUSE of the inconsistency you cite.

Still it is not inconceivable that we could go on a tear if the right players are healthy.

I have not seen reason this whole season for being overly confident nor despondent. Yet many here bounce between those extremes with every win or loss.

After the Giants game and the Baltimore game I was "hopeful". Nothing changes with this loss.

Do you not grasp that EVERYONE exaggerates the good and bad from week to week in the NFL, including the media, and, for sure, the fans. How do you not see this as the norm?

lloydroid
12-11-2012, 09:03 PM
What is LeBeau doing? There were earlier games the DBs were manning up at the line and playing well and shutting people down. No longer.

I guess he hit the "reset" button and he went back into default mode.