PDA

View Full Version : I think RB will be high on the draft list this year...

Steelhere10
12-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Mendy is a goner, Dwyer, Redman or Batch are feature backs. I just can't see this team ignoring the position early it is hard to win with a feature back getting 50yds a game.

Oviedo
12-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Mendy is a goner, Dwyer, Redman or Batch are feature backs. I just can't see this team ignoring the position early it is hard to win with a feature back getting 50yds a game.

Adrian Peterson would have a tough time getting 50 yards behind the OL today. Just too many players out. IMO the OL needs a real look in the draft early...still. Colon may be a cap casualty. Foster will likely be gone. Gilbert and Adams still have learning to do and neither is ready to replace Starks.

If we get a RB it will be in the mid-rounds. A whole bunch hinges on Dwyer staying focused in the off season and coming back in the best shape of his life. He is the only RB other than Mendy who rates to be considered a real #1. However, him coming back in top shape is a whole lot of hope and prayer which is why I would not be surprised to see Mendenhall back at a discount.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Adrian Peterson would have a tough time getting 50 yards behind the OL today. Just too many players out. IMO the OL needs a real look in the draft early...still. Colon may be a cap casualty. Foster will likely be gone. Gilbert and Adams still have learning to do and neither is ready to replace Starks.

If we get a RB it will be in the mid-rounds. A whole bunch hinges on Dwyer staying focused in the off season and coming back in the best shape of his life. He is the only RB other than Mendy who rates to be considered a real #1. However, him coming back in top shape is a whole lot of hope and prayer which is why I would not be surprisedrt to see Mendenhall back at a discount.

Agreed Ovi. I think we have some parts of a really good offensive line, if they could stay healthy. At some point you have to quit saying the 'if they could stay healthy' part and move on to address it and go in a different direction. We need another OT in the mix. Right now I would say Pouncy and Starks are our best OL. Starks should be given at least a 2 year deal in my mind. DeCastro should emerge as a solid RG but can he play LG? Foster seems OK at RG but can he play LG? When all are healthy, who is our RT? Is Gilbert? Did Adams do enough to claim the job? Beachum had a rough game here against SD. If the number one C was there in the first do we take him knowing Pouncey could be a Pro Bowl LG?

We have some other needs as well, but I would still not hesitate to spend the top pick on a game changing player for the trenches.

RB should be a priority but no in the first. What sort of RB do we look for that would suit this offense? BTW, no way would I bring Mendenhall back. Time to move on.

Dee Dub
12-10-2012, 12:38 AM
No way!! RB should be way down on the priority list. And besides good backs can be found in mid to late rounds....not high on draft lists unless you are that one player/position away from winning it all.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-10-2012, 12:41 AM
So Ray Rice is sitting there in the 2nd round and you pass him up?

Dee Dub
12-10-2012, 12:52 AM
There is no guarantee there is a Ray Rice in round one let alone round two. This next years crop of RB's coming into the NFL are a far cry from a sure thing. Any of them. Do the names Giovani Bernard, Eddie Lacy, Andre Ellington, and Joseph Randle jump out at you and say hey draft me with a high draft pick? Not me. Not even a second round pick.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-10-2012, 12:57 AM
There is no guarantee there is a Ray Rice in round one let alone round two. This next years crop of RB's coming into the NFL are a far cry from a sure thing. Any of them. Do the names Giovani Bernard, Eddie Lacy, Andre Ellington, and Joseph Randle jump out at you and say hey draft me with a high draft pick? Not me. Not even a second round pick.

By Ray Rice I meant a borderline RND 1 sitting there at the 2nd round pick not implying you can foresee the future and know for sure the production you would get at this level. If we could do that, we wouldn't of drafted Mendenhall.

SS Laser
12-10-2012, 01:11 AM
I wonder if a full off season in Haleys Off. and healthy o-line/mendenhall could be back to 1000 or better RB? Mendenhall looked like he could do well catching the ball out of the back field also. I am not ready to give up on him if he would come back on the cheap to prove himself. What kind of money will he get on the open market anyway?

Oviedo
12-10-2012, 08:39 AM
I wonder if a full off season in Haleys Off. and healthy o-line/mendenhall could be back to 1000 or better RB? Mendenhall looked like he could do well catching the ball out of the back field also. I am not ready to give up on him if he would come back on the cheap to prove himself. What kind of money will he get on the open market anyway?

I agree. Mendenhall isn't going to command big money as a free agent and he may be the best option for the team versus taking the chance on a rookie. The reality is if he can keep his head in the game Dwyer looks like the RB of the present and the future, but there is a real big "if."

phillyesq
12-10-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm not sure how the college talent at RB looks yet, but my preference at this point is for the Steelers to add a #1 type WR (if Wallace leaves), a playmaker in the secondary, and depth at OLB and OT, in no particular order.

If there is a Doug Martin or David Wilson type at the end of round 1 - an explosive runner to mix with the plodders - then I think the Steelers have to consider it, but I'd prefer if they could address RB in the middle rounds.

Shawn
12-10-2012, 04:46 PM
I would prefer to sign Mendenhall to a reasonable contract.

feltdizz
12-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Adrian Peterson could get yards behind this OL... he is that good. However, I don't think there is an AP type RB in this draft but there should be a Doug Martin type RB in later rounds.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Adrian Peterson could get yards behind this OL... he is that good. However, I don't think there is an AP type RB in this draft but there should be a Doug Martin type RB in later rounds.

Martin, Robert Turbin, Alfred Morris.....

NorthCoast
12-10-2012, 11:41 PM

If we get a RB it will be in the mid-rounds. A whole bunch hinges on Dwyer staying focused in the off season and coming back in the best shape of his life. He is the only RB other than Mendy who rates to be considered a real #1. However, him coming back in top shape is a whole lot of hope and prayer which is why I would not be surprised to see Mendenhall back at a discount.

So what magic did SD use on their OL with only one starter playing?

Sword
12-11-2012, 09:11 AM
I agree! we need a big strong RB like Jerome was... Not small like they have been getting.
We also need a QB for the future now!!! Ben has 3-6 years left...

Shawn
12-11-2012, 09:50 AM
I would disagree Sword. We have two big strong backs. We need a running back who is nimble, sure handed, has some speed and quickness and is an overall type of back. Oh yeah we already have that guy on the roster...Mendenhall. Yes, the guy is in the dog house for dropping the ball...but he can play. Not sure why he has been loathed since arrival.

ikestops85
12-11-2012, 12:51 PM
I would disagree Sword. We have two big strong backs. We need a running back who is nimble, sure handed, has some speed and quickness and is an overall type of back. Oh yeah we already have that guy on the roster...Mendenhall. Yes, the guy is in the dog house for dropping the ball...but he can play. Not sure why he has been loathed since arrival.

I don't think Mendenhall was loathed when he arrived. FWP was loathed when Mendy arrived. Mendy was supposed to be the savior of the running game. It hasn't turned out that way so Mendy is now catching crap. He has been tentative since the fumble in the SB. It's really not hard to understand why he is being beat up on.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Maybe we should try running the ball off tackle a little more instead of always between the tackles into the box.

Shawn
12-11-2012, 05:50 PM
I don't think Mendenhall was loathed when he arrived. FWP was loathed when Mendy arrived. Mendy was supposed to be the savior of the running game. It hasn't turned out that way so Mendy is now catching crap. He has been tentative since the fumble in the SB. It's really not hard to understand why he is being beat up on.

It's hard for me to blame Mendenhall for OL woes. The guy has had a couple 1000 yard seasons behind very questionable lines. He is talented no doubt about it.

lloydroid
12-11-2012, 06:07 PM
I would prefer to sign Mendenhall to a reasonable contract.

That is mental. Have you bothered to watch his crap play the last few years? Didn't notice that he sucks?

SS Laser
12-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Oh crap. Good buy Mendy. NFL network just said he is suspended for 1 game for conduct! No way the coaches will want him back I think.

SS Laser
12-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Wonder what he said on twitter now?

birtikidis
12-11-2012, 07:37 PM

No he wouldn't. AP runs with ferocity. Ours not so much. He hits a hole so hard and decisive. He's a rare player. One that can play on any team

lloydroid
12-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Here are some backs to consider, if we aren't going to sell the farm and use a first round on one.

Montee Bell, WI. 5-11, 215. He is a natural who could have a huge NFL career.

Lacy, AB. 5-10, 220. This guy is a beast. Maybe not quite as over all talented as Trent Richardson, but he is up there. He is just a truck. Plays in monster tough SEC. He could look super in the black and gold.

Le'Veon Bell, MSU, 6-2, 244. A BIG back. He could carry the rock and take defenders for a ride, plus will be there in later rounds. Leads the nation in carries so he won't pull a Dwyer and need to come off the field.

steelz09
12-11-2012, 10:51 PM
I hope not. I'm not a big believer selecting a RB very high in the draft. A good o-line can make an average RB look great.

I think our o-line has potential when healthy. Starks/Gilbert/Adams, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert/Adams.

I want to see OLB, ILB and Safety be top priorities of this draft.

Oviedo
12-12-2012, 09:04 AM
I hope not. I'm not a big believer selecting a RB very high in the draft. A good o-line can make an average RB look great.

I think our o-line has potential when healthy. Starks/Gilbert/Adams, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert/Adams.

I think you have the positions right. Safeties in this draft are deep so you won't need to use a #1. Unless it is Manti Te'o you won't use a #1 on an ILB. That leave OLB.

However, if a potential great OT is there I still think the jury is out on Gilbert and Adams and you ahve to consider that. I would also not hesitate to use a #1 on the TE Ertz from Stanford. Would add a whole new dimension to the offense and Heath isn't going to roll forever.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-12-2012, 11:08 AM
I would look for a RB in round 3 or 4

Keyplay1
12-12-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm not sure how the college talent at RB looks yet, but my preference at this point is for the Steelers to add a #1 type WR (if Wallace leaves), a playmaker in the secondary, and depth at OLB and OT, in no particular order.

If there is a Doug Martin or David Wilson type at the end of round 1 - an explosive runner to mix with the plodders - then I think the Steelers have to consider it, but I'd prefer if they could address RB in the middle rounds.

There were quite a few here that really liked Doug Martin a lot. I was trying to think of his name and your post reminded me of it. I thought he might have been a sleeper but I just saw that Tampa Bay drafted him in Rd 1 pick 31.

The reason I mention this is in recent weeks I have seen some highlight shows and Tampa Bay was in there quite often and their running back was often the reason. This caught my eye. But I really thought nothing of it.

Then also in recent weeks I was looking at some offensive stats to try and get some idea where the Steelers are ranked and was startled to see that Tampa Bay was in a much higher spot than I usually ever see them. Actually, what I am saying is I never ever usually see them. I go down the list and stop at the Steelers and no where in the past was TB ever catching my eye. They are probably there somewhere but I never ever notice their name.

Maybe having a truly productive RB has something to do with it. IDK. Anyway take a look at these overall Offensive rankings of them over the past years and draw your own conclusion.

-------TB---PIT

2011 21 12

2010 19 14

2009 28 07

2005 23 15

2001 26 03

2012 14 19

What caught my eye was usually they are down there in the bottom group with the likes of the Jacksonvilles, the Browns, the Chiefs, and well this year the Steelers. You know teams like that. But surprisingly this year they are pretty high for them overall and in a couple other categories much higher.

Not sure but maybe that RB has something to do with it.

Keyplay1
12-12-2012, 11:44 AM
You may be wondering. Why is anyone comparing TS to TB, which is generally perceived as a nothing football team. I now remember.

When I was looking up some stats I found a site that broke down scoring by quarters. TB was ranked pretty high in the 1st Q. Then when I looked at the overall scoring this came up.

Tampa Bay ranked #5 in scoring. 27.2 ppg TS are ranked #21 scoring 21.4 ppg

Tampa Bay ranked #10 in rushing average per play at 4.4

Pittsburgh ranked #24 in rushing average per play at 3.8

What puzzles me is why is everyone so enamored with this Pit Offense?

Slapstick
12-12-2012, 12:42 PM
You may be wondering. Why is anyone comparing TS to TB, which is generally perceived as a nothing football team. I now remember.

When I was looking up some stats I found a site that broke down scoring by quarters. TB was ranked pretty high in the 1st Q. Then when I looked at the overall scoring this came up.

Tampa Bay ranked #5 in scoring. 27.2 ppg TS are ranked #21 scoring 21.4 ppg

Tampa Bay ranked #10 in rushing average per play at 4.4

Pittsburgh ranked #24 in rushing average per play at 3.8

What puzzles me is why is everyone so enamored with this Pit Offense?

Because the Steelers are in the playoff hunt with backup RBs carrying the load. The offense would be that much more effective with a stud RB.

Dee Dub
12-12-2012, 01:39 PM

I agree with you 100%!! No need for a RB in any of the top 4 picks. If the Steelers make a run (and draft at the back end of round 1), I want what is in my signature with maybe moving Baccarri Rambo up to the 3rd round. But if they continue to slide I want Dee Milliner CB, Kevin Minter ILB, and Bacarri Rambo FS.

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2012, 01:50 PM
No he wouldn't. AP runs with ferocity. Ours not so much. He hits a hole so hard and decisive. He's a rare player. One that can play on any team

Yup...as of a week ago, it was reported that 919 of Peterson's 1446 rushing yards came AFTER CONTACT. Only 9 running backs in the NFL had more total rushing yards than Peterson had after contact. I'm not sure how many of his 154 yards against the Bears this past week came after contact, but I would think that it is a reasonable bet to assume that he has either passed 1000 rushing yards after contact this season (or else is awfully close to it). That's the definition of a beast right there. One of the best rushing performances in NFL history just a few short months after blowing out his ACL. Simply mind boggling.

The Vikings are currently 7-6 and in the playoff race because of Peterson (their only other legit weapon Percy Harvin is out for the year, and Christian Ponder pretty much sucks as an NFL QB). Peterson is my MVP this year without question. Everyone wants to give it to Peyton, but his Broncos were a playoff team without him last year. Without Peterson, the Vikings would be in line for another top 5 pick, easily. Dude is CARRYING that team on his back. Absolutely awesome to watch.

Dee Dub
12-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Yup...as of a week ago, it was reported that 919 of Peterson's 1446 rushing yards came AFTER CONTACT. Only 9 running backs in the NFL had more total rushing yards than Peterson had after contact. I'm not sure how many of his 154 yards against the Bears this past week came after contact, but I would think that it is a reasonable bet to assume that he has either passed 1000 rushing yards after contact this season (or else is awfully close to it). That's the definition of a beast right there. One of the best rushing performances in NFL history just a few short months after blowing out his ACL. Simply mind boggling.

The Vikings are currently 7-6 and in the playoff race because of Peterson (their only other legit weapon Percy Harvin is out for the year, and Christian Ponder pretty much sucks as an NFL QB). Peterson is my MVP this year without question. Everyone wants to give it to Peyton, but his Broncos were a playoff team without him last year. Without Peterson, the Vikings would be in line for another top 5 pick, easily. Dude is CARRYING that team on his back. Absolutely awesome to watch.

That is amazing. Great post!