PDA

View Full Version : 4 teams with a combined record of 17-35...

Dee Dub
12-09-2012, 10:13 PM
...have beaten the Steelers this year. Oakland, Tennessee, Cleveland, and San Diego. This is mostly on the head coach. He is responsible for this team not be ready and up for these type of teams. That is a flat out embarrassment. It is time for some changes on this team.

Steelhere10
12-09-2012, 10:39 PM
LATE to the party, The DJ is playing the last song already.... There is a whole Fire Tomlin thread already smh.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-09-2012, 11:11 PM
...have beaten the Steelers this year. Oakland, Tennessee, Cleveland, and San Diego. This is mostly on the head coach. He is responsible for this team not be ready and up for these type of teams. That is a flat out embarrassment. It is time for some changes on this team.
All too often, this team is unfocused...undisciplined...underprepared. But I don't think Tomlin is going anywhere, so what other changes would you suggest?

Oviedo
12-09-2012, 11:43 PM

I blame the coordinators. They do the game plan and they call the plays.

Dee Dub
12-10-2012, 12:36 AM
LATE to the party, The DJ is playing the last song already.... There is a whole Fire Tomlin thread already smh.

I am not suggesting or even calling for Tomlin to be fired. Steelers would never do that. But there needs to be some changes.

Here's a list in my opinion that needs major consideration...

Hampton
Keisel
Colon
Foote
Taylor
Leftwich

...and I would put Batch on here but word is he is going to retire after this year.

This teem needs some new life into it. Some hungry players who play all games with intensity. Not just the ones they deem as big games.

pittpete
12-10-2012, 01:51 AM
Dee, I hate to call ya out but Kiesel played his heart out today as well as Foote.
Hampton made a play or two also.
This team needs a leader right now,like a Joey Porter, a Jerome Bettis, a James Farrior or a Hines Ward

Dee Dub
12-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Dee, I hate to call ya out but Kiesel played his heart out today as well as Foote.
Hampton made a play or two also.
This team needs a leader right now,like a Joey Porter, a Jerome Bettis, a James Farrior or a Hines Ward

Yes I agree he did play his heart out but he (Kiesel), as well as Foote, Taylor, and Hampton at this stage in their careers are limited. I'm tired of it. I'd like to see some great players. Not sub-par players. And I can emotionally detach myself from these players. They were great and I appreciate what they all have done for the Steelers but it is time to move on.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Yes I agree he did play his heart out but he (Kiesel), as well as Foote, Taylor, and Hampton at this stage in their careers are limited. I'm tired of it. I'd like to see some great players. Not sub-par players. And I can emotionally detach myself from these players. They were great and I appreciate what they all have done for the Steelers but it is time to move on.

No disrespect Dub, but move on to what? Do you just want to see new players because you are tired of the ones listed or do you think we have a more capable player waiting in the wings?

Dee Dub
12-10-2012, 09:12 PM
No disrespect Dub, but move on to what? Do you just want to see new players because you are tired of the ones listed or do you think we have a more capable player waiting in the wings?

No disrespect taken. It's all just my opinion. Yes in some cases I think we have players who need to get a shot at playing full time. Like Cam Heyward. And in others cases the organization has neglected certain positions, like back up QB, secondary, inside LB, etc.

NorthCoast
12-10-2012, 11:07 PM

Glad your not the GM of the Steelers. You would have a team in constant flux chasing losses with personnel changes. Glad you're not my stockbroker either, classic buy high-sell low knee-jerk reactions.

NorthCoast
12-10-2012, 11:59 PM
And for as rough as the Steelers have played, they could be dead even with Baltimore if SD makes one easy stop and Dallas makes a late field goal and KC hangs onto the ball in the game.
On any given Sunday, there are at least a half dozen games that are one possession difference late in the game. It's that proverbial "fine line". The Steelers have relied on Ben to cross that fine line in the past, but they have not been lucky of late.

Dee Dub
12-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Glad your not the GM of the Steelers. You would have a team in constant flux chasing losses with personnel changes. Glad you're not my stockbroker either, classic buy high-sell low knee-jerk reactions.

Well I am glad I am not the GM either. I am not qualified for it. But think about this, in 8 out of 13 games this year the Steelers have played poorly. I don't see that as chasing just loses. In the majority of the games this team has played this year, they have played poorly. And you don't think there should be some changes?

Oviedo
12-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Well I am glad I am not the GM either. I am not qualified for it. But think about this, in 8 out of 13 games this year the Steelers have played poorly. I don't see that as chasing just loses. In the majority of the games this team has played this year, they have played poorly. And you don't think there should be some changes?

You said it right. Forget what stats and rankings say. The reality is that we have lost many games to teams that on paper are not as good. Having the so called "#1 defense" didn't stop a four win team from putting up 30+ points on us or losing 6 games.

The reality is we are woefully missing game changing plays. In the Red Zone on offense and Sacks and INTs on defense. We are on track for the worst sack and INT numbers in over twenty years.

It doesn't mean you are less of a fan because you see and acknowledge problems versus being an "Ostrich" and burying your head in sand.

phillyesq
12-11-2012, 02:16 PM
The reality is we are woefully missing game changing plays. In the Red Zone on offense and Sacks and INTs on defense. We are on track for the worst sack and INT numbers in over twenty years.

On this, we agree. The proposed solution is where we differ...

feltdizz
12-11-2012, 03:01 PM

I don't think he means gutting the team... while it's great that we have veterans on our team it's time to let a few go. I think we hold onto players a little longer than necessary. I like Keisel and still think he something left but he should be coming off the bench to spell Heyward. Same with Casey Hampton and while I think Foote is adequate I would love to see his replacement on the field next year sharing time.

We are 7-6... Troy is limping again, Harrison may have a little left but who knows, Keisel is old, Hampton is old, Foote is adequate but not the future...

These stocks are old... gotta go out and get some new ones or move some money around because we aren't making anymore money off of these guys.

lloydroid
12-11-2012, 04:06 PM

It's so bad it makes me want to end my Steeler addiction. Just go cold turkey and replace my football viewing time with something more beneficial. It is a flat out embarrassment.

SidSmythe
12-11-2012, 04:34 PM
I'm not saying "clean house" but it's time to cut some high paid veterans loose.

If the coaching staff isn't getting some young guys ready then they will soon be replaced too.
I just don't see how Belichek can win with some real no names....they also recycle veterans and WIN.
They have a rookie 7th rounder covering Andre Johnson last night and doing a pretty darn good job at it. Why can't we get that production out of our young guys. Guys like McClendon, Allen and Heyward need to play!

lloydroid
12-11-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm not saying "clean house" but it's time to cut some high paid veterans loose.

If the coaching staff isn't getting some young guys ready then they will soon be replaced too.
I just don't see how Belichek can win with some real no names....they also recycle veterans and WIN.
They have a rookie 7th rounder covering Andre Johnson last night and doing a pretty darn good job at it. Why can't we get that production out of our young guys. Guys like McClendon, Allen and Heyward need to play!

So, they reason the young guys don't get to play is some kind of conspiracy theory?

Chadman
12-11-2012, 06:00 PM

Heyward could certainly see the field more at this point. Would be good to see a real DE rotation. Add in Al Woods to that- who has looked halfway decent as well.

McClendon still doesn't rattle Chadman's cage. Hampton is not the guy he was, but McClendon hasn't done anything to force a change at NT yet. So where does this put McClendon? Well below Hampton's best, it would seem. There needs to be an upgrade here, as Ta'amu is no certainty after his.....indescretions.

Allen though? Ok, Cortez has looked good at times- but who is he playing over? Lewis? Keenan Lewis has been the biggest improver on this team & has started to look like our guy going forward. And certainly not Allen over Taylor just yet... Allen's level of involvement looks about right at this point.

Chadman thinks a lot of the Steelers woes this season have been more to do with transitioning from the experienced guys that have either been replaced, or are about to be replaced, and other factors such as injury.

There are a bunch of playmakers on this team, but right now the mix is out just a touch- mostly through young guys either not being on the team yet, or not stepping up to replace veterans that need to be relied upon less as their skills diminish.

SS Laser
12-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Some of you guys will be jumping off a bridge at some point in the future. The Steelers will not always be a contender. I don't figure it will go smooth after Ben is done. Might look like the steelers of the 80's.

Dee Dub
12-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Some of you guys will be jumping off a bridge at some point in the future. The Steelers will not always be a contender. I don't figure it will go smooth after Ben is done. Might look like the steelers of the 80's.

We survived then why wouldn't we survive when the next lean time comes?

SS Laser
12-12-2012, 01:53 AM
We survived then why wouldn't we survive when the next lean time comes?

The Steelers are still a good team. Some here think they are terrible it seems to me. You Dub even want a purge of still good players. How will you guys be on here when it is lean times?

Be honest here. Were are these special players you want? What players in the last 5 years have you hit on that have been game changers? How many are just avg? I don't mean to pick on you Dub. You know I like your draft knowledge. You just happend to comment.

The young NFL players are such a crap shoot. I think even more then years past. The Steelers it seems are really being PC and trying to pick good eggs. But do the good eggs have enough talent? Look at our new NT. Seems to have a drinking problem. Look at Holmes. Very hard to hit on good draft picks. The health off all players seems to be a big problem now also. The mendy and sweed draft is hurting us. I am really interested in seeing what happens when the cap goes up and the Steelers are not up against it. Maybe they will get some better free agents at that point?

To end this I am not looking foward to lean times at all. Glad I was not on any forums during the Cowher bad years!

Dee Dub
12-12-2012, 02:24 PM
The Steelers are still a good team. Some here think they are terrible it seems to me. You Dub even want a purge of still good players. How will you guys be on here when it is lean times?

Be honest here. Were are these special players you want? What players in the last 5 years have you hit on that have been game changers? How many are just avg? I don't mean to pick on you Dub. You know I like your draft knowledge. You just happend to comment.

The young NFL players are such a crap shoot. I think even more then years past. The Steelers it seems are really being PC and trying to pick good eggs. But do the good eggs have enough talent? Look at our new NT. Seems to have a drinking problem. Look at Holmes. Very hard to hit on good draft picks. The health off all players seems to be a big problem now also. The mendy and sweed draft is hurting us. I am really interested in seeing what happens when the cap goes up and the Steelers are not up against it. Maybe they will get some better free agents at that point?

To end this I am not looking foward to lean times at all. Glad I was not on any forums during the Cowher bad years!

Wrong. I dont want to purge any good players. I personally dont think Hampton, Leftwich, Batch, Ike, Foote, and Keisel, are good players. Average to below average is not good in my opinion. All of these players are on the downside of their careers. I just want better for the Steelers.

What players have I hit on the past 5 years that have been game changers? How hard it is to hit on impact players? Usually those are the guys who are projected to go top 10 every year. There's many lists available through out the year for that. I am more proud of the not-so-obvious ones I have have hit on. Like when I was all over the drafting of LaMarr Woodley, or when I was the one who started threads about Jordy Nelson this forum, and how I saw that a guy like Jarius Byrd (18 picks in less than 4 seasons), would be a steal in the second round, and just as recently as last year, I was right about Donta Hightower (an immediate starter who is having a solid year for the Pats), and Cordy Glenn also a first year starter for Buffalo at LT (like I said he would be, not a guard like everyone insisted he had to be), and Kevin Zeitler as well. Another first year starter.

Oh and I to am not looking forward to lean times. My comment was directed to the one who said some Steelers fans would not survive if and when that happens again.

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2012, 02:43 PM
It's so bad it makes me want to end my Steeler addiction. Just go cold turkey and replace my football viewing time with something more beneficial. It is a flat out embarrassment.

The Steelers have been to the Super Bowl following the 2005, 2008, and 2010 seasons, winning the championship twice in that time period. We are coming off back-to-back 12-4 seasons and are currently 7-6 (which would qualify for the playoffs if they started today). And you want to jump ship because you consider this team to be a flat out embarrassment. Loyal fans of teams like the Browns, Chiefs, Lions, etc. are shaking their heads at how spoiled Steeler fans like you are right now.

squidkid
12-13-2012, 11:11 AM

i dont think anyone is disputing bad times coming once ben is gone. that's what makes pissing these years away even more frustrating.

Slapstick
12-13-2012, 11:30 AM
i dont think anyone is disputing bad times coming once ben is gone. that's what makes pissing these years away even more frustrating.

Since Ben's rookie year, the Steelers have been to three SBs, winning two of those...

Did they lament pissing away Peyton Manning's years in Indy?

Drew Brees' years in New Orleans?

Aaron Rodgers' years in Green Bay?

Ben has had a pretty damn good run here in Pittsburgh and it isn't over yet...nor is it being pissed away...

flippy
12-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Since Ben's rookie year, the Steelers have been to three SBs, winning two of those...

Did they lament pissing away Peyton Manning's years in Indy?

Drew Brees' years in New Orleans?

Aaron Rodgers' years in Green Bay?

Ben has had a pretty damn good run here in Pittsburgh and it isn't over yet...nor is it being pissed away...

With PEDs, maybe Ben can play til 50.