PDA

View Full Version : Sean Kugler leaving for head coach job..(college)

LordVile
12-08-2012, 02:04 AM
http://steelblitz.com/steelers-offensive-line-coach-sean-kugler-will-be-the-next-head-coach-at-utep/2328/2012/12/07

The Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler has taken the head coaching job at UTEP, his alma-mater. This means Kugler will be leaving the Steelers at some point either this season or after the season to take over.
Kugler went to UTEP and this is a big opportunity for him to return as head coach. Kugler attended the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) from 1984 to 1988, earning letterman honors in football for all four years. The 1988 team played in the Independence Bowl. His positional coach at UTEP was, now Eagles head coach, Andy Reid.
Kugler was signed by the Steelers in 1989, but was released after suffering a concussion during training camp. He began coaching in 1990 and this will be his first head coaching job.
The Steelers signed Kugler away from the Buffalo Bills in 2010. They knew that Kugler would be able to help improve their offensive line play and it has been much improved during his time with the Steelers.
Pittsburgh will have a hard time replacing Kugler, but you have to feel happy for him.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-08-2012, 02:17 AM
That will be a tough loss. He has done a great job for us. Good luck coach Kugler.

pittpete
12-08-2012, 02:20 AM
Whats Dermontti doing these days?

steelfin
12-08-2012, 03:37 AM
That will be a tough loss. He has done a great job for us. Good luck coach Kugler.

Not so sure about that....We will be getting rid of the Kuglar curse.... Have we ever experienced so many OL injuries with any other coach?

Sure the OL got better with Kuglar... But could it really have gotten any worse???

Good for him....hopefully he has a successful career in the college ranks....

But this is no different than losing players, the Steeler FO will take care of business.

SF

flippy
12-08-2012, 06:46 AM
Am I the only one who didn't realize Kugler signed with us as a player at one time?

I don't think he'll be the biggest loss. Good luck to him. Hopefully he doesn't leave mid season.

D Rock
12-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Good coach yes, but I fully believe in the Kugler curse as well. He made a name for himself by being able to successfully juggle the Bills OLine after injuries, and that came with him to Pittsburgh.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Looked like the Gilbert curse this year. Is there a Butler curse since 56, 92 play half seasons, Spence and Carter out for year, etc?

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2012, 12:27 PM
What about Juan Castillo? He is currently available. He was an excellent and well respected OL coach in Philly for more than a decade (before Andy Reid decided that making your o-line coach into a defensive coordinator was a good idea). The Iggles have always had solid OL play, but it has taken a precipitous fall in recent years (which happened to coincide with Castillo no longer being their OL coach).

Mister Pittsburgh
12-08-2012, 12:51 PM
What about Juan Castillo? He is currently available. He was an excellent and well respected OL coach in Philly for more than a decade (before Andy Reid decided that making your o-line coach into a defensive coordinator was a good idea). The Iggles have always had solid OL play, but it has taken a precipitous fall in recent years (which happened to coincide with Castillo no longer being their OL coach).

Would be a good call if he was still into coaching.

hawaiiansteel
12-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Steelers likely to look internally for offensive line coach Sean Kugler's replacement, Shaun Sarrett a good candidate

By SteelCityRoller on Dec 8

As word broke of Sean Kugler's signing with his former alma mater to be their new head coach, the Steelers began their search for a new offensive line coach.

With the unfortunate scheduling differences between life in the NFL and the NCAA, the Steelers have found a new hoop to jump through as they continue to fight their way through the 2012 season.

Sean Kugler, the Steelers offensive line coach for the past 2.75 seasons, is moving on to become the new head coach of the University of Texas, El Paso. As the offensive line attempts to start another different line combination in week 14, the news of Kugler's imminent departure will not do much to encourage the continuity the unit so desperately needs.

Immediate questions abounded about who Kugler's replacement would be, especially should he leave before the end of the Steelers 2012 season. In an effort to restore some of that lost continuity, the Steelers will most likely look inward when selecting a new, and possibly immediate, replacement. The process of hiring outside of the organization is a time-consuming process best dealt with during the off-season.

Back in February of 2012, the Steelers hired Shaun Sarrett as their new offensive assistant/quality control coach. He had served in the same role for the Duke University Blue Devils since 2008. Prior to Duke, he also spent time at Marshall University; and also as a high school offensive line coach, in Streetsboro, Ohio. Sarrett played guard for Kent State, lettering 3 seasons. He could be an emergency interim decision based on his experience both as a coach and positionally, should Kugler leave sooner rather than later.

If the Steelers go outside the organization, they still have another "inside" choice. Former Steelers center Jeff Hartings is currently coaching offensive line for Avonworth High School, coincidentally with former Steelers defensive tackle Chris Hoke. While Hartings speaks fondly of his experience coaching younger players, and being involved in the school community, which his children are a part of; he does leave the door open on returning to the NFL to coach.

While Sarrett is the most likely choice, Hartings staying active in football and coaching make him a viable option to consider through the future.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/12/8/3743452/steelers-offensive-line-coach-search-replacement-candidates-options-sean-kugler

AkronSteel
12-08-2012, 10:03 PM
It would be like the Steelers to hire from with in. I'm sure they hired the guy for a reason and I don't think bringing in Hartings as an assistant OL coach would be a bad idea at all as well. It's the Steeler way and with the young talent they have it would probably be a good idea to not mix up the situation too much. Realistically our starting OL next year will probably be:

LT: Marcus Gilbert/Mike Adams
LG: Willie Colon
C: Maurkice Pouncey
RG: David DeCastro
RT: Mike Adams/Kelvin Beachum

That is a lot of young talent that needs to be developed the right way because as Ben gets older he is going to have to take less hits which surprising he has this year. I would expect this to be Max's last year in the Burgh. As much as he loves playing here he and Foster will probably be able to garner much bigger contracts on the FA market!

Oviedo
12-09-2012, 11:02 AM
It would be like the Steelers to hire from with in. I'm sure they hired the guy for a reason and I don't think bringing in Hartings as an assistant OL coach would be a bad idea at all as well. It's the Steeler way and with the young talent they have it would probably be a good idea to not mix up the situation too much. Realistically our starting OL next year will probably be:

LT: Marcus Gilbert/Mike Adams
LG: Willie Colon
C: Maurkice Pouncey
RG: David DeCastro
RT: Mike Adams/Kelvin Beachum

That is a lot of young talent that needs to be developed the right way because as Ben gets older he is going to have to take less hits which surprising he has this year. I would expect this to be Max's last year in the Burgh. As much as he loves playing here he and Foster will probably be able to garner much bigger contracts on the FA market!

I really hope they keep Starks another year or two. Guy is still doing the job and neither Adams or Gilbert are ready for LT.

Beachum is really nothing more than an emergency fill at RT. He is really best suited for Guard, but he does offer some position flexibility.

I agree that they let Foster go but it would be nice to keep him because of his potential as a back up with positional flexibility.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Starks should get a two year deal and start at LT.

spyboots
12-09-2012, 12:15 PM
I think they look outside. Sarrett doesn't have the needed experience IMO.

Slapstick
12-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Sarrett would probably take over if Kugler leaves before the Steelers are finished playing this season...but, I don't know that he would be a permanent replacement....

SteelerSince78
12-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Good riddance

squidkid
12-09-2012, 06:03 PM
what about coach Turnstile from HeadsupU? he would fit in nicely with our group.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Maybe Koogs should take the rest of our coaching staff with him...

Only partly kidding...

RuthlessBurgher
12-10-2012, 02:49 PM
After Whisenhunt and his staff get canned at the end of the season (9 straight losses following a 4-0 start to the season, with a 58-0 beatdown at the hands of division rival Seattle yesterday being the cherry atop that sundae), I wonder if Russ Grimm's grudge over the Rooneys selecting Tomlin over a certain hefty fellow who wore a flannel shirt to an interview for a multimillion job, would prevent him from ever wanting to come back to the team again as an OL coach. When he was here, he worked with the likes of Hartings, Faneca, and Marvel, then was given literally ZERO talent to work with in Arizona (the Cardinals' recent OL has made ours look like a brick wall by comparison)...might both sides be able to overlooked burnt bridges of the past to see if he could transform Pouncey, DeCastro, and Adams into this generation's version of Hartings, Faneca, and Marvel?

Slapstick
12-10-2012, 04:16 PM
After Whisenhunt and his staff get canned at the end of the season (9 straight losses following a 4-0 start to the season, with a 58-0 beatdown at the hands of division rival Seattle yesterday being the cherry atop that sundae), I wonder if Russ Grimm's grudge over the Rooneys selecting Tomlin over a certain hefty fellow who wore a flannel shirt to an interview for a multimillion job, would prevent him from ever wanting to come back to the team again as an OL coach. When he was here, he worked with the likes of Hartings, Faneca, and Marvel, then was given literally ZERO talent to work with in Arizona (the Cardinals' recent OL has made ours look like a brick wall by comparison)...might both sides be able to overlooked burnt bridges of the past to see if he could transform Pouncey, DeCastro, and Adams into this generation's version of Hartings, Faneca, and Marvel?

My guess? It would depend upon how well he got along with Haley in Arizona...

If he hated Haley? Chances are zero...

If he liked Haley? Chances are slim...

RuthlessBurgher
12-10-2012, 07:21 PM
My guess? It would depend upon how well he got along with Haley in Arizona...

If he hated Haley? Chances are zero...

If he liked Haley? Chances are slim...

Nothing about Russ Grimm is slim. :p

hawaiiansteel
12-11-2012, 01:58 AM
Steelers’ o-line loses Kugler, Colon

By F. Dale Lolley
dec 11, 2012

http://ORweb.SX2.atl.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=OR&Date=20121211&Category=SPORTS0403&ArtNo=121219921&Ref=AR&q=100&maxw=550&maxh=500

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey has been one of the few healthy linemen for the Steelers.

PITTSBURGH – Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler was officially hired as the new head football coach at the University of Texas-El Paso Monday, a day after his unit played perhaps its worst game of the season in a 34-24 loss to the San Diego Chargers at Heinz Field.

News of Kugler’s hiring broke over the weekend and might have been a distraction for a group that had been playing well this season – until Sunday.

Though none of the offensive linemen would use the eventual loss of Kugler – who will finish out the season with the Steelers - as an excuse, the results from Sunday’s defeat, which dropped Pittsburgh to 7-6, are hard to deny.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, making a return from a three-game absence because of shoulder and rib injuries, was pressured, hit or sacked on 19 of 48 passing plays. Taking out the five Roethlisberger scrambles for 31 yards, the running game produced 38 yards on 12 carries. The Steelers scored just three points in the first 40 minutes before producing three touchdowns after the game’s outcome had been decided.

“Hat’s off to (the Chargers),” said Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey. “They were bringing a lot of different looks at us, and we didn’t do a good job of blocking it.”

Things won’t get easier.

Already missing right tackles Marcus Gilbert, who was placed on injured reserve with an ankle injury; and Mike Adams, who sat out his second consecutive game with an ankle injury; the Steelers lost left guard Willie Colon to a major knee injury in the first half.

Colon, who will likely be placed on season-ending injured reserve, had missed the previous two games with a knee injury and was attempting to come back from that against the Chargers when he went down again.

It marks a continuing trend for Colon, who missed all but one game in the previous two seasons with an Achilles’ tendon injury and torn biceps.

“It’s terrible for him,” Pouncey said. “For him to be dealing with that for the last couple of years, and now we don’t know how this thing is going to turn out ... I feel terrible for him.”

With Colon out, the Steelers slid Pouncey to left guard and inserted Doug Legursky at center, just as they did two weeks ago in a 23-20 win at Baltimore.

Moving forward, however, the Steelers could try to insert first-round draft pick David DeCastro into the starting lineup.

DeCastro, who was activated from injured reserve Nov. 26 after suffering a preseason knee injury, did not play against the Ravens, but saw action on special teams against the Chargers as the Steelers ease him back into the lineup.

That plan could now be accelerated with Colon out, though DeCastro was used strictly at right guard in the preseason.

Ramon Foster was inserted into the starting lineup at right guard when DeCastro was injured in the third preseason game and has played well, but the Steelers could put Foster or DeCastro at left guard in an effort to put their best five linemen on the field.

Whatever alignment the Steelers decide upon, they know they must play better on the offensive front if they are going to make the playoffs.

The Steelers currently hold the sixth, and final, playoff spot in the AFC, but need two wins in their final three games – including one over Cincinnati in two weeks – to assure a spot in the postseason.

“We are in control, but we can’t go out there and play like we did (Sunday) in the last three games,” said Pouncey. “That can’t happen if we want to be where we want to be at the end of the season. I think we did a poor job, but we have to go back to work and turn this thing around.”

http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20121211/SPORTS0403/121219921/-1/sports#.UMa7cM2FEmw

pittpete
12-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Tomlin said he's not playing Decastro because he's not tipping his hand for the playoffs:rolleyes:

RuthlessBurgher
12-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Ramon Foster was inserted into the starting lineup at right guard when DeCastro was injured in the third preseason game and has played well, but the Steelers could put Foster or DeCastro at left guard in an effort to put their best five linemen on the field.

With Colon out, if we want to put our best five o-linemen on the field, I think that looks like this right now:

Starks-Pouncey-Legursky-DeCastro-Foster

with Beachum and Malecki as backups (until Adams is ready to play again).

hawaiiansteel
12-14-2012, 06:56 PM
• When Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler interviewed for the UTEP head coaching job with athletic director Bob Stull, one of his first comments was, “I‘m not leaving the team. If that keeps me from getting the job, it keeps me from getting the job,” Kugler said. It didn‘t, and now Kugler must do two jobs until the Steelers‘ season ends. “Right now the only thing I‘m thinking about is getting these guys ready to play in Dallas,” he said Wednesday.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3118297-85/wallace-roethlisberger-steelers#ixzz2F49OD3Vi

Mister Pittsburgh
12-14-2012, 08:33 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/when-kugler-says-jump-his-players-ask-how-high-665593/

doesn't sound like Kugler is some easily replaced shmoe that is easily replaced by the next guy.