PDA

View Full Version : Eying the draft

lloydroid
12-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Yea, it's probably too early to think too much about the 2013 draft, but, I like doing it.

I am going to assume we won't be picking until 25 or later, just for the purposes of having some kind of starting point (I hope we won't be picking until 32;-)

My first rounder could be a long shot. But if Eric Reid, S, LSU is there, wow.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=204879620

They are saying he is every bit as good as Patrick Peterson. I find that hard to believe, but if he is even in the neighborhood, wow, would this guy give us our safety for the next decade. Both Clark and Troy are in their 30s - nearly MID 30s, so it's not too early to address the position. What I like about this guy is his size combined with leadership skills, and natural instincts. If there is one thing I hate is when Pgh over values physical skills on dudes who have no instincts. I don't care how big and fast you are; if you don't know when to be where, and the quickest way to get there (the right angles) then it's all worthless. (See Scott freakin Shields, remember him? He was as useless as tits on a bull.) Reid would be knockin the crap out of offenses and provide stellar leadership. But could easily not be there when we draft, so......

C.J. Mosely, OLB, AL - Could be our future bad @ss at OLB. But does he have injury issues? I know he was hurt in 2011 but I am not sure of that's a trend of just a one-time thing. I am thinking we most likely will go LB, CB or S with our first rounder. I really think our OL is finally going to be deep. We have used 2 first rounders at DE lately. With LB, we could use either OLB or ILB help, so go with best available. Or...

Xavier Rhodes, CB, FSU - Had a knee injury in the spring, but this kid can play. But he could be a bit of a reach in the first round. Some project him in the 2nd, however the combine will alter this one way or another.

BigRob
12-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Yea, it's probably too early to think too much about the 2013 draft, but, I like doing it.

I am going to assume we won't be picking until 25 or later, just for the purposes of having some kind of starting point (I hope we won't be picking until 32;-)

They are saying he is every bit as good as Patrick Peterson. I find that hard to believe, but if he is even in the neighborhood, wow, would this guy give us our safety for the next decade. Both Clark and Troy are in their 30s - nearly MID 30s, so it's not too early to address the position. What I like about this guy is his size combined with leadership skills, and natural instincts. If there is one thing I hate is when Pgh over values physical skills on dudes who have no instincts. I don't care how big and fast you are; if you don't know when to be where, and the quickest way to get there (the right angles) then it's all worthless. (See Scott freakin Shields, remember him? He was as useless as tits on a bull.) Reid would be knockin the crap out of offenses and provide stellar leadership. But could easily not be there when we draft, so......

C.J. Mosely, OLB, AL - Could be our future bad @ss at OLB. But does he have injury issues? I know he was hurt in 2011 but I am not sure of that's a trend of just a one-time thing. I am thinking we most likely will go LB, CB or S with our first rounder. I really think our OL is finally going to be deep. We have used 2 first rounders at DE lately. With LB, we could use either OLB or ILB help, so go with best available. Or...

Xavier Rhodes, CB, FSU - Had a knee injury in the spring, but this kid can play. But he could be a bit of a reach in the first round. Some project him in the 2nd, however the combine will alter this one way or another.

As far as safeties go, I like Phillip Thomas from Fresno State better than Eric Reid.

lloydroid
12-07-2012, 06:29 PM
As far as safeties go, I like Phillip Thomas from Fresno State better than Eric Reid.

Thomas is a SS, Reid is a FS; which do you think we need more than the other? Thomas is rated at about the 5th best SS on the board right now. If things still stand as they are, we could get him in the 3rd round.

steelz09
12-07-2012, 07:55 PM
I'll take Reid any day over Thomas.

Even if Thomas was "rated" as good as Reid, I'd still take Reid and it wouldn't be close. The big boy league (SEC) vs. a player at Fresno State. To me, it's not even close.

Dee Dub
12-07-2012, 08:03 PM

No way is Eric Reid is anywhere near Patrick Peterson. In fact Reid has struggled this year and especially in coverage. I see Reid having to eventually move to SS in the NFL at some point.

In my opinion there is not a better pure free safety in all of college football than Barcarri Rambo. He can do it all. Problem is, he got into some trouble (smoking weed), and was suspended at the beginning of this year. He will be available end of round two to mid round three as a result. But he is a flat out ball hawk (16 career picks). Great instincts and can hit like a truck. He is no slouch in coverage.

Who wouldn't want a Steeler jersey with the name Rambo on the back?

Dee Dub
12-07-2012, 08:09 PM

Why do you say this? Explain. I havent seen much of Thomas but I have seen every game of Reid's the past two seasons. If you are basing it on the fact that Thomas has 8 picks this year you have to understand that teams dont get to throw the ball down the field a lot versus LSU with the front 7 they have.

Dee Dub
12-07-2012, 08:30 PM

By the way C.J. Mosely plays inside. Solid but not spectacular. He has a well rounded game. Does a lot of things well but nothing great. My guy outside of Manti T'eo for ILB is LSU's Kevin Minter. A 3 down backer who can fill a hole big time. He has been steadily climbing the boards ever since his 20 tackle game versus Florida. Before the season he wasn't even on anyone's board now he is early second to mid second round and still climbing.

Chadman
12-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Chadman will support his hometown boy- Alabama's Australian NT Jesse Williams, in round 1. Steelers need that big, imposing guy up front that can dominate at the LOS. Hampton is winding Dow, Ta'amu nearly played himself out of Pittsburgh with his stupidity, and McClendon looks like a message board hero more than the long term future at NT.

steelz09
12-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Outside of Te'o... I'll take the best available S (preferably FS) or ILB or OLB from the SEC or Florida State.

Given those 3 positions, that should provide us with a damn good player.

Dee Dub
12-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Chadman will support his hometown boy- Alabama's Australian NT Jesse Williams, in round 1. Steelers need that big, imposing guy up front that can dominate at the LOS. Hampton is winding Dow, Ta'amu nearly played himself out of Pittsburgh with his stupidity, and McClendon looks like a message board hero more than the long term future at NT.

That would be a solid pick as long as it is end of round one. He is a legit pure NT who already plays in a 3-4. Very strong dude. However, me personally, I want a play maker on defense this year. The Steelers are seriously lacking in that big time splash play maker right now. Williams would be solid but he isnt going to be making the splash plays this team needs.

Dee Dub
12-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Outside of Te'o... I'll take the best available S (preferably FS) or ILB or OLB from the SEC or Florida State.

Given those 3 positions, that should provide us with a damn good player.

Amen to that!

Oviedo
12-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Find me a playmaker. Someone who gets sacks or INTs. We are woefully lacking for both.

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2012, 01:08 AM

A little while back, I suggested that we continue our trend of addressing a specific need with 2 players in the same draft class (linebackers Timmons and Woodley, wideouts Sanders and Brown, corners Brown and Allen, o-linemen DeCastro and Adams), by using our first and second round picks on premium safeties as the heir apparent to the aging Polamalu and Clark. I mentioned LSU's Reid in the first, and Oklahoma's Jefferson in the second.

flippy
12-08-2012, 06:59 AM
When I look at this team, we still have the same 2 needs this year that we have had for the last several years.

1. Pressuring the QB
2. Scoring/RedZone Production

I want my first round pick to address one of those 2 needs or just be BPA when we pick. To pressure the QB, you either need better coverage or a better pass rush. I'd consider the best DB or NT.

To help scoring, we should be looking at another TE to compliment Heath. I've wanted us to think about this since we drafted Heath. Now that Haley's using Heath, maybe someone inside the organization will start to consider going this route.

SidSmythe
12-08-2012, 10:13 AM
I say we go backup QB :)

NJ-STEELER
12-08-2012, 01:12 PM

her.

im still amazed at the INT he had vs bama in the regualr season last year. took away a sure TD.

would love to see another DB who can play the ball like that in the secondary

NJ-STEELER
12-08-2012, 01:15 PM
When I look at this team, we still have the same 2 needs this year that we have had for the last several years.

1. Pressuring the QB

I want my first round pick to address one of those 2 needs or just be BPA when we pick. To pressure the QB, you either need better coverage or a better pass rush. I'd consider the best DB or NT.

To help scoring, we should be looking at another TE to compliment Heath. I've wanted us to think about this since we drafted Heath. Now that Haley's using Heath, maybe someone inside the organization will start to consider going this route.

yeah, with the D still ranked high, i'd look to a bigger receiver if one was there. especially with wally not coming back (most likely)

the kind that can catch the ball at the 20 in stride and take it in the endzone even with defenders coming at him

feltdizz
12-08-2012, 01:24 PM
I'll take Reid any day over Thomas.

Even if Thomas was "rated" as good as Reid, I'd still take Reid and it wouldn't be close. The big boy league (SEC) vs. a player at Fresno State. To me, it's not even close.

I disagree... the passing attacks in the SEC are horrible. if we are talking run support I agree... but coverage? NAH... I have to look and the individual over conference reputation.

Dee Dub
12-08-2012, 01:43 PM
yeah, with the D still ranked high, i'd look to a bigger receiver if one was there. especially with wally not coming back (most likely)

the kind that can catch the ball at the 20 in stride and take it in the endzone even with defenders coming at him

See my signature. Terrence Williams is projected to be at the back end of round 1. 6 ft 2 and he can go get it in a crowd. :D

Dee Dub
12-08-2012, 01:54 PM
I disagree... the passing attacks in the SEC are horrible. if we are talking run support I agree... but coverage? NAH... I have to look and the individual over conference reputation.

You spend way too much time listing to so-called experts. The two top passers in all of college football (rating wise), are from the SEC...A.J. McCarron and Aaron Murray. In fact look at their numbers and you see they actually throw the rock a lot more than most think. And do it well.

A.J McCarron 2666 Yards and 26 TD's, and Aaron Murray 3466 Yards and 31 TD's. And then Add Tyler Bray of Tennessee and his 3612 Yards and 34 TD's and Johnny Manziel's 3419 Yards and 24 TD's you should get the point. 3 of those 4 have thrown for over a 65% completion percentage as well.

Oviedo
12-08-2012, 02:08 PM

1. Pressuring the QB

NT in our system doesn't help with pressuring the QB. I would get an outside pass rusher and hope it doesn't take two years for him to get onto the field.

I would also consider the best TE if he is on the board; Ertz (sp?) from Stanford would be a great compliment to Heath.

Anyone else think we still may need another OT? How long can "The Savior" Starks go?

Extremely deep draft at the Saftey position. We could probably go Round 2 and 3 or 2 and 4 and get two very good players.

SteelCrazy
12-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Reid has struggled this year, but has shown a lot of skills. I wouldnt take him in the 1st at all with the talent coming out. In fact Texas' Vaccaro is the best S out there. He's good in run support and good in Pass coverage. I'd take him all day long over Reid, who needs top notch talent around him to play top notch.

lloydroid
12-08-2012, 05:29 PM

1. Pressuring the QB

They like that 7th round pick TE, Pauslon. I don't think our redzone scoring is weak from the players as much as the plays called. I really think it will eventually improve with Haley. Plus we have a real FB now.

lloydroid
12-08-2012, 05:33 PM

You are right, the SEC isn't really a strong passing league. Some, like FL, are downright pathetic at passing the ball. But if you want big, fast, terrors on D, they got that.

lloydroid
12-08-2012, 05:34 PM
I say we go backup QB :)

In the later rounds, for sure. I know you were kidding, but we desperately need a young back up QB. Should have kept one this year, although Charlie was awesome last week.

flippy
12-08-2012, 06:31 PM
NT in our system doesn't help with pressuring the QB.

I think it's the most important position for the pass rush. If you have a dominant NT that can drive the C/G deep in the pocket, there's no room for the QB to step up to avoid pressure. This helps the edge guys get to the QB deeper in the pocket and harder for the tackles to run them out of the play.

Plus the more dominant the NT, the more help the C needs which frees up the ends and OLBs.

It's not a coincidence the Steelers pressure decreased in line with Casey's play.

flippy
12-08-2012, 06:35 PM
They like that 7th round pick TE, Pauslon. I don't think our redzone scoring is weak from the players as much as the plays called. I really think it will eventually improve with Haley. Plus we have a real FB now.

I think they like him too, so I doubt we'd grab a TE. But Miller is getting older and NE has proven how difficult 2 great TEs can be when they're on the field together.

I'm still not sure why we can't score in the RedZone. I think it's a combination of things - players, play calling, and Ben. And the latter may be the hardest to overcome. As good as Ben is, his flaws are more evident in the RedZone. I think it's a combination of his decision making and risk taking and he doesn't have the room for error on the short field. I'd like to see Haley take more shots at the endzone once we reach the 40 or 35.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-08-2012, 06:36 PM
great points flip.

safety has to be one of the first two picks, IMO.

focosteeler
12-08-2012, 11:38 PM
I think it's the most important position for the pass rush. If you have a dominant NT that can drive the C/G deep in the pocket, there's no room for the QB to step up to avoid pressure. This helps the edge guys get to the QB deeper in the pocket and harder for the tackles to run them out of the play.

Plus the more dominant the NT, the more help the C needs which frees up the ends and OLBs.

It's not a coincidence the Steelers pressure decreased in line with Casey's play.

:Bow I was going to say the same thing. With the uncertainty of Ta'amu and Hamptons age, getting a guy who can step in day 1 is a necessity. Plus this is a great year to get a NT of the future

hawaiiansteel
12-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Reid has struggled this year

that worries me, when a college safety struggles against college QBs, TEs and WRs how can he be expected to play well versus NFL caliber players?

Chadman
12-09-2012, 06:25 AM

it feels good to have someone with the same opinion as Chadman. Individual stats will never support this theory, but NT is the fulcrum to the success of a 3-4 defence. As Flippy pointed out, the decline in pressure on the opposition QB has been almost hand-in-hand with Casey's decline. Getting a guy in there that can attract 2 blockers, or better, 3 like Casey in his heyday, opens the field for the other pass rushers. Just think, if the NT commands 2 blockers, and 1 of your DE's commands 2 blockers- how many blockers are left for the 2nd DE and the LB's? Can teams successfully single-block Woodley or Harrison? And if the counterbalance to a dominant NT/ DE combo is to add extra blockers- then there are less offensive weapons on the field for our DB's to defend against.

Jesse Williams sounding better?

flippy
12-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Jesse Williams sounding better?

I'd love to see us draft someone from Australia. But I'm not sure how well suited Williams is as a NT. I'd see him more as an end. I thought his teammate Chapman from last year was the perfect fit to replace Casey and can't believe we didn't take him over the menace to the South Side.

I'm not sure who I like yet as a NT in this year's draft. A lot of the guys that are being projected to NT look more like ends to me. Akeem Spence might be worth a looksee imho. Is he a 2nd or 3rd rounder? Plus he's an underclassmen which Tomlin seems to like.

Oviedo
12-09-2012, 10:44 AM
I'd love to see us draft someone from Australia. But I'm not sure how well suited Williams is as a NT. I'd see him more as an end. I thought his teammate Chapman from last year was the perfect fit to replace Casey and can't believe we didn't take him over the menace to the South Side.

I'm not sure who I like yet as a NT in this year's draft. A lot of the guys that are being projected to NT look more like ends to me. Akeem Spence might be worth a looksee imho. Is he a 2nd or 3rd rounder? Plus he's an underclassmen which Tomlin seems to like.

T-mu put himself in a very bad position, however this is one of those cases where the character of a person is tested and measured. If he gets the right support I still think he can be a valuable asset.

I hope so because being forced to take another NT in the upcoming draft will distract us from fixing some other serious issues at Safety, ILB, LT and OLB.

steelblood
12-09-2012, 12:30 PM
A little while back, I suggested that we continue our trend of addressing a specific need with 2 players in the same draft class (linebackers Timmons and Woodley, wideouts Sanders and Brown, corners Brown and Allen, o-linemen DeCastro and Adams), by using our first and second round picks on premium safeties as the heir apparent to the aging Polamalu and Clark. I mentioned LSU's Reid in the first, and Oklahoma's Jefferson in the second.

I don't mind this idea Ruthless, but Reid is not a gamebreaker/gamechanger. He is a talented DB, but he has struggled a bit this year without top talent around him.

If Matt Elam comes out, I'd love to get him on this team. He is a little short (5'10), but he has great quickness, striking ability and versatility. He covers the slot receiver in nickel situations, can cover the back half and can play in the box. I think he is a better athlete and has better instincts than Reid. He can play FS, SS, and nickel CB. What do you think of him?

I like Jefferson in the second very much. He could be a great pro.

NJ-STEELER
12-09-2012, 02:34 PM
See my signature. Terrence Williams is projected to be at the back end of round 1. 6 ft 2 and he can go get it in a crowd. :D

sounds good

NJ-STEELER
12-09-2012, 03:01 PM
i think i'll throw something at the TV if we draft another DL in the 1st round

Oviedo
12-09-2012, 03:28 PM
i think i'll throw something at the TV if we draft another DL in the 1st round

May be necessary going to the 4-3:stirpot

BradshawsHairdresser
12-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Yea, it's probably too early to think too much about the 2013 draft

Or maybe not.

NJ-STEELER
12-09-2012, 04:53 PM
May be necessary going to the 4-3:stirpot

we draft more DL in the 1st round then even 4-3 teams.

to hold off OL so the LBs vcan make plays
:HeadBanger:HeadBanger

Chadman
12-09-2012, 07:42 PM
we draft more DL in the 1st round then even 4-3 teams.

to hold off OL so the LBs vcan make plays
:HeadBanger:HeadBanger

Haha.... nice over reaction NJ. Outside of Hood/Heyward, the last 1st round DL the Steelers picked was Casey Hampton. That's a long time between drinks. And the state of the drafting-playbook has changed for the Steelers because there are far more teams playing 3-4 now, than back in the day when you could get an Aaron Smith in Round 4, or Keisel in Round 7. To get the top notch 3-4 DL guys, you have to pick them early, nowadays. And due to having a DL that was never given a 'succession line' until our guys got too old to keep going, we now find the Steelers scrambling to get young bodies at a position that became ancient.

You may not like it- but this team is still short a quality 3-4 NT. It's better to burn an early pick on one & getting it right, than 'making do' and watching the run defence suffer as a result.

lloydroid
12-09-2012, 10:38 PM
I am going to re-calibrate our draft position from 25-32 to more like 15-20 ;-(

pfelix73
12-09-2012, 11:26 PM
I'd wait if I were you....oh no! the sky is falling!

lloydroid
12-09-2012, 11:47 PM
I'd wait if I were you....oh no! the sky is falling!

This team couldn't beat CLE, Oak, SD and TN. They just barely beat NYJ, KC and Philly. What part of "this is obviously not a good team" that alludes you?