PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace blames lack of production on concentration lapses

hawaiiansteel
12-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Steelers’ Wallace blames lack of production on concentration lapses

By Ralph N. Paulk
Published: Thursday, December 6, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=qNlUN mPRaVdTrR7mtinKg8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvm$nK$CCr6W8U Ygsowd47PWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers receiver Mike Wallace drops a pass against the Giants last month at MetLife Stadium

How Steelers receiver Mike Wallace has fared the past four weeks:

• vs. Kansas City: 3 catches, 14 yards

• vs. Baltimore: 4 catches, 26 yards

• at Cleveland: 1 catch, 9 yards

• at Baltimore: 5 catches, 44 yards

At times, Mike Wallace appears the perfect fit for the Steelers’ passing game. Then there are moments when the fleet-footed receiver seems adrift mentally, resulting in uncharacteristic drops and lapses in concentration.

“I’ve never been a guy who dropped balls or just lose focus,” Wallace said somewhat apologetically. “The first three years I was always involved, so you just warmed up in games, and you were just into it.

“But when you don’t get the ball for two-and-half quarters, you lose focus. But that’s the type of offense this is. We’re spreading it around, so you’re not going to get as many targets. When you get them, you have to make the best of them.”

Wallace, one of the NFL’s preeminent deep threats, arrived at training camp last season boasting he could eclipse 2,000 receiving yards. But he struggled in Todd Haley’s offense. Over the past four games, he hasn’t totaled a football-field worth of yards: 13 catches for 93 yards.

“When I don’t get the ball for a certain amount of time, I lose focus sometimes,” he said. “It hurts me when it’s time for me to make a play.”

Wallace has endured some difficult stretches. His speed has been negated by double teams and Haley’s willingness to spread the wealth.

“The toughest thing is staying positive through three quarters because you’re not going to get the ball every time,” Wallace said as the team prepares to face San Diego on Sunday at Heinz Field. “You have to be ready to deliver when it comes your way. That’s been the biggest thing I’ve had to learn this year.”

On a team with a trio of standout receivers — Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders — tight end Heath Miller leads the way in receptions (56) and touchdowns (7).

Wallace’s team-high 616 receiving yards are only three more than Miller’s. The numbers are reflective of Wallace’s frustration and far short of his production the previous two seasons, when he had about 1,200 yards receiving.

“We spread the ball around more than we did in the past,” said Wallace, who missed all of training camp because of a contract dispute. “So it’s not one or two people with yards. Nobody’s numbers just jump out.

“If there’s been a play that I haven’t made this year, it’s been in the second or third quarter when I haven’t been getting too many passes ... and I’m losing focus. I get a little frustrated, and that’s the main thing.”

The Steelers will need a focused Wallace as they pursue an AFC playoff berth. It’s a four-game stretch run in which Wallace insists he’s ready to deliver.

“It’ll make me forget about all the stuff that happened in the first (11) games,” Wallace said. “There have been a lot of plays made this year, but a lot of plays have been missed at the same time. I’m used to making big plays, but I’m not getting as many opportunities to make those plays.

“Sometimes I have to remind them not to forget about me.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3090560-85/wallace-yards-ball#ixzz2EKpwpIwA

D Rock
12-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Of everything I've read, heard, or seen from Wallace...that is the most damning.

There is no way he is with the team again next, either by their choice or his. Not with comments and an attitude like that.

Poor me...they forget about me, and then I forget I'm supposed to pay attention! That's pathetic. I would have much rather he said he had concentration lapses due to future contract uncertainty instead of that he feels left out of the offense and we should feel sorry for him about his mistakes.

SidSmythe
12-07-2012, 09:05 AM
How do you lack concentration in your contract year???

Oviedo
12-07-2012, 09:20 AM
"lack of concentration"? Yeah, he's elite alright:rolleyes:

I said in the off season that Brown and Wallace wpuld be playing for their contracts this season. Fortunately for the Steelers Wallace was stupid and rejected their offer and Brown got the money. I think we are seeing the real Mike Wallace and what he will be once he gets his big payday.
I still think he has value, but not at anywhere near the money he hopes for. He is proving he is a $6-8M receiver and nothing more who is really good at just one thing.

Not much to defend about Wallace now is there!

Jooser
12-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Given our luck, he'll be signed by the Pats and will eclipse 2,000 yards with Brady throwing to him.

Oviedo
12-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Given our luck, he'll be signed by the Pats and will eclipse 2,000 yards with Brady throwing to him.

Maybe if he doesn't lose concentration. I've said all along, Wallace doesn't want to stay in Pittsburgh. He doesn't like the internal competition and comparison with Antonio Brown. He got ticked off when Brown was the team MVP. There were many reports of him pouting towards the end of last year. He is looking to go where he is the man and the only man.

Eich
12-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Sounds to me like he's setting the stage for a contract with another team. He explains his lack of effort as essentially boredom in Haley's system. When really, I think he's just protecting himself from any possible injury so he can get his big contract. He's not going to attempt to sacrifice his body in any way playing for a "measley" $2M.

He's telling his new team that if they make him the #1 guy and pay him through the nose, then his effort and 2,000 yards/year goal is back on track.

RKSteel
12-07-2012, 09:54 AM
He will be going to the Jets.

Iron Shiek
12-07-2012, 11:01 AM
“When I don’t get the ball for a certain amount of time, I lose focus sometimes,” he said. “It hurts me when it’s time for me to make a play.” --Mike Wallace

Uhh, what a dummy. How do you put something like this out there? There's always teams willing to pay people for their talent, but we all know the Steelers aren't one of those teams. If somebody said something like this in a normal business, they surely wouldn't be getting any kind of raise and would probably be let go.

Chadman
12-07-2012, 11:22 AM
You can forget every word he said in that interview.

What he really said was "When I didn't get the contract I wanted/earned (you decide based on your perspective) & the Steelers gave Antonio Brown the big money contract, my agent & decided to play out the last year of my contract without causing too much trouble, but certainly not looking to put myself on the line for a team that doesn't value me the way I value myself".

Wallace is probably not as good as he thinks he is, but is likely better than a lot of us say he is. He'll be hard to replace.

Slapstick
12-07-2012, 11:34 AM

What he really said was "When I didn't get the contract I wanted/earned (you decide based on your perspective) & the Steelers gave Antonio Brown the big money contract, my agent & decided to play out the last year of my contract without causing too much trouble, but certainly not looking to put myself on the line for a team that doesn't value me the way I value myself".

Wallace is probably not as good as he thinks he is, but is likely better than a lot of us say he is. He'll be hard to replace.

Overall, those 13 catches for 94 yards over the last four games are not going to be too difficult to replace, IMO...

Oviedo
12-07-2012, 12:18 PM

You may not get a player with the exact skillset (or more accurately one skill) he has but with the proliferation of spread offenses in college finding a quality WR is not hard especially if the team decides to use a high draft pick.

Notleadpoisoned
12-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Wallace is more a product of Ben's talent than he is of his own making.

pittpete
12-07-2012, 01:37 PM
memememememememememememememememememem

SteelCrazy
12-07-2012, 01:47 PM
As long as Haley runs this type of Offense then Wallace will be mediocre. He is telling it like it is. Maybe he shouldn't but he is right. Losing concentration is probably the reason for his performance. It makes sense and it sounds better then I didnt get the money I wanted. Haley doesnt go deep and that is Wallaces strong point. I think Haley needs to go deep at least once a game to keep D's honest, but Im not the OC and he is.

feltdizz
12-07-2012, 01:58 PM
As long as Haley runs this type of Offense then Wallace will be mediocre. He is telling it like it is. Maybe he shouldn't but he is right. Losing concentration is probably the reason for his performance. It makes sense and it sounds better then I didnt get the money I wanted. Haley doesnt go deep and that is Wallaces strong point. I think Haley needs to go deep at least once a game to keep D's honest, but Im not the OC and he is.

Did you watch the probowl last year? The SB 2 years ago? Teams have adjusted to Wallace and if going deep is Wallace's only trick than its a wrap. How many offers did Wallace get last year?

We go deep more than once a game but if the only time he is happy is when it's in his bread basket then bye bye Wallace. Can't expect top money if you are butt hurt when you don't get a ton of passes every game and drop em when called on.

Oviedo
12-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Did you watch the probowl last year? The SB 2 years ago? Teams have adjusted to Wallace and if going deep is Wallace's only trick than its a wrap. How many offers did Wallace get last year?

We go deep more than once a game but if the only time he is happy is when it's in his bread basket then bye bye Wallace. Can't expect top money if you are butt hurt when you don't get a ton of passes every game and drop em when called on.

I wouldn't say "going deep" is all Wallace does, but he has issues with other skills that allow him to excel as a complete receiver. That is why the entire NFL will see that he isn't elite. Not saying he won't get a ridiculous contract just that he won't perform up to it.

My bet on his next stop is: Tampa Bay. Lots of cap space and no state tax. They are few pieces short of being a very good team.

papillon
12-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Regardless of what happens with Mike Wallace, I can't believe that he actually said those things out loud where anyone other than himself could hear them. The Steelers and, in particular, Haley, can't be happy to have heard that. Other teams considering hiring him can't be happy to have heard them, it's going to be interesting. I still think the Steelers would like to have under contract, but I'm thinking their offering price just went down a little more.

This is a head scratcher.

Pappy

feltdizz
12-07-2012, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't say "going deep" is all Wallace does, but he has issues with other skills that allow him to excel as a complete receiver. That is why the entire NFL will see that he isn't elite. Not saying he won't get a ridiculous contract just that he won't perform up to it.

My bet on his next stop is: Tampa Bay. Lots of cap space and no state tax. They are few pieces short of being a very good team.

Going deep is what he does best.... Not sure if Wallace is going to get that big contract... it will be a good contract but I would be surprised if another team offers him $8 mill a year. There are too many other WR's who do all the other things and have decent speed.

I think he lands in Indy... Arians would love to have him with Luck and his philosophy is more in tune with Wallaces skill set.

feltdizz
12-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Regardless of what happens with Mike Wallace, I can't believe that he actually said those things out loud where anyone other than himself could hear them. The Steelers and, in particular, Haley, can't be happy to have heard that. Other teams considering hiring him can't be happy to have heard them, it's going to be interesting. I still think the Steelers would like to have under contract, but I'm thinking their offering price just went down a little more.

This is a head scratcher.

Pappy

Not really.... he's verbalizing what his body language says on the field this year. It's a little refreshing to hear him give an honest answer IMO.

The only problem is this gives a few members on the board some weight when talking about how a guy is thinking based on his production or body language.

lloydroid
12-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Of everything I've read, heard, or seen from Wallace...that is the most damning.

There is no way he is with the team again next, either by their choice or his. Not with comments and an attitude like that.

Poor me...they forget about me, and then I forget I'm supposed to pay attention! That's pathetic. I would have much rather he said he had concentration lapses due to future contract uncertainty instead of that he feels left out of the offense and we should feel sorry for him about his mistakes.

This IS pathetic. This is TO-ish, except TO always produced. Go to Oakland. This guy is a POS. Close the chapter on him. I don't even want to see him on the field as a Steeler any longer.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Mike's lucky. Lots of ordinary folks would lose their job if they had the same problem. You know, like the guy who was working at the orange juice plant, and they fired him because he just couldn't concentrate...:lol:

BigRob
12-07-2012, 04:48 PM
He'll be hard to replace.

So was Burress, but we will carry on.

We won a Superbowl with A-Randle El, Cedrick Wilson, and Hines Ward.

I think we can with Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery.

lloydroid
12-07-2012, 05:09 PM
So was Burress, but we will carry on.

We won a Superbowl with A-Randle El, Cedrick Wilson, and Hines Ward.

I think we can with Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery.

I don't think he will be hard to replace. If this were the Arians offense with the 2010-2011 Wallace, he would be hard to replace in those conditions. But the 2012 version of Wallace with our 2012 offense? Hell, it will be easy to UPGRADE his position. There are plenty of WRs that we can get in the 3rd round with size and good speed. Or, considering our needs, probably draft one ever later than that. Surprisingly, we don't appear as thin at DB as we did just weeks ago.

BigRob
12-07-2012, 05:21 PM
There are plenty of WRs that we can get in the 3rd round with size and good speed. Or, considering our needs, probably draft one ever later than that. .

This is Homerism at its best. Finding another WR like Wallace is just not that easy. He's just not as important as some are making him out to be. There are more key positions to be good at than just one WR spot.

Brown is more valuable for what he is doing in any offense, Wallace needs to play in a different scheme.

That doesn't make him "easy to replace." There was a reason we took Santonio Holmes in the first round in 2006 after winning the Super Bowl.

lloydroid
12-07-2012, 05:34 PM
This is Homerism at its best. Finding another WR like Wallace is just not that easy. He's just not as important as some are making him out to be. There are more key positions to be good at than just one WR spot.

Brown is more valuable for what he is doing in any offense, Wallace needs to play in a different scheme.

That doesn't make him "easy to replace." There was a reason we took Santonio Holmes in the first round in 2006 after winning the Super Bowl.

You mean finding a one trick pony who can't catch the ball unless there is no defender around him, one who fumbles and drops the ball all the time and one who has a jerk attitude is hard to replace. Oh, OK. Yea, I don't know how we will ever live without that.

BigRob
12-07-2012, 05:49 PM
You mean finding a one trick pony who can't catch the ball unless there is no defender around him, one who fumbles and drops the ball all the time and one who has a jerk attitude is hard to replace. Oh, OK. Yea, I don't know how we will ever live without that.

Over simplifying your argument doesn't make it anymore correct. It just makes it sound more absurd.

It's hard enough to draft one wide receiver that has the skill set of Mike Wallace and do the things he can do. It was amazing the Steelers were able to draft 3 wide receivers that produce and two of them studs.

To find a replacement for Wallace is not going to be "easy". I did however say the Steelers can win without him.

squidkid
12-07-2012, 05:58 PM
i was going to do the leg work myself but i saw this topic posted on anothber site and someone did it for me.
apparently wallace continues to think we are stupid(some 'real' fans still are)and doesnt realize that we can look up his stats from year to year.
another poster compared his stats and realized that wallace is not being targeted less this year than previous years but actually more......hmmmmmmm

yup, lets give him 10-11 per....lol

lloydroid
12-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Over simplifying your argument doesn't make it anymore correct. It just makes it sound more absurd.

It's hard enough to draft one wide receiver that has the skill set of Mike Wallace and do the things he can do. It was amazing the Steelers were able to draft 3 wide receivers that produce and two of them studs.

To find a replacement for Wallace is not going to be "easy". I did however say the Steelers can win without him.

OH, Ok, let's take it beyond words and look at the actual #s for a guy who will be so "hard to replace."

And the FACTS (something you probably don't like too much) prove he is being targeted MORE OFTEN this season than his previous seasons. And, he is so hard to replace, that on the below have more production than Wall_ASS has. That is 45 rec. who have more yards than does MW. I mean, how on earth will we ever find a way to replace a guy that ranks as 46th in the NFL in yards? That is insane. No way can we ever replace that.

Calvin Johnson WR DET 12 86 1428 119.0 16.6 53 29 4 5
Demaryius Thomas WR DEN 13 74 1197 92.1 16.2 71 23 5 8
Brandon Marshall WR CHI 12 91 1182 98.5 13.0 56 14 2 8
Reggie Wayne WR IND 12 88 1156 96.3 13.1 30 20 0 3
Andre Johnson WR HOU 12 74 1114 92.8 15.1 60 17 4 3
A.J. Green WR CIN 12 76 1107 92.2 14.6 73 14 7 10
Wes Welker WR NE 12 92 1064 88.7 11.6 59 9 2 4
Roddy White WR ATL 12 68 1023 85.2 15.0 59 16 3 4
Vincent Jackson WR TB 12 50 1014 84.5 20.3 95 19 4 7
Dez Bryant WR DAL 12 71 978 81.5 13.8 85 12 3 8
Julio Jones WR ATL 12 58 931 77.6 16.1 80 14 4 6
Brian Hartline WR MIA 12 60 891 74.2 14.9 80 10 3 1
Steve Smith WR CAR 12 53 890 74.2 16.8 66 12 3 2
Victor Cruz WR NYG 12 68 883 73.6 13.0 80 9 3 8
Marques Colston WR NO 12 61 828 69.0 13.6 40 10 1 8
Cecil Shorts WR JAC 12 43 824 68.7 19.2 80 15 5 7
Lance Moore WR NO 11 52 822 74.7 15.8 43 11 1 4
Jason Witten TE DAL 12 88 818 68.2 9.3 36 6 0 1
Eric Decker WR DEN 13 64 790 60.8 12.3 55 10 1 8
Miles Austin WR DAL 12 51 773 64.4 15.2 49 13 1 5
Tony Gonzalez TE ATL 12 73 770 64.2 10.5 25 3 0 7
Malcom Floyd WR SD 12 51 765 63.8 15.0 39 14 0 4
Anquan Boldin WR BAL 12 55 750 62.5 13.6 43 14 1 2
Rob Gronkowski TE NE 10 53 748 74.8 14.1 41 12 1 10
Torrey Smith WR BAL 12 42 732 61.0 17.4 54 13 4 7
Dwayne Bowe WR KC 12 57 731 60.9 12.8 46 9 1 3
Brandon Myers TE OAK 13 70 728 56.0 10.4 29 8 0 4
Davone Bess
Mike Williams WR TB 12 43 718 59.8 16.7 65 12 5 6
Steve Johnson WR BUF 12 55 705 58.8 12.8 63 6 2 5
Jeremy Kerley WR NYJ 12 48 701 58.4 14.6 66 12 3 2
DeSean Jackson WR PHI 11 45 700 63.6 15.6 77 9 2 2
Denarius Moore WR OAK 12 42 678 56.5 16.1 58 12 2 6
Percy Harvin WR MIN 9 62 677 75.2 10.9 45 8 1 3
Donnie Avery WR IND 12 49 675 56.2 13.8 48 8 4 3
Randall Cobb WR GB 12 64 675 56.2 10.5 39 9 0 7
Michael Crabtree WR SF 12 57 668 55.7 11.7 36 8 0 5
Jordy Nelson WR GB 11 46 658 59.8 14.3 61 7 3 6
Jimmy Graham TE NO 11 59 654 59.5 11.1 46 8 1 8
Larry Fitzgerald WR ARI 12 56 650 54.2 11.6 37 8 0 4
Josh Gordon WR CLE 12 34 646 53.8 19.0 71 12 3 5
Andre Roberts WR ARI 11 50 639 58.1 12.8 46 9 2 5
Greg Olsen TE CAR 12 50 636 53.0 12.7 47 8 1 4
Nate Washington WR TEN 12 38 633 52.8 16.7 71 12 2 4
Sidney Rice WR SEA 12 43 623 51.9 14.5 46 10 1 7

squidkid
12-07-2012, 06:20 PM
OH, Ok, let's take it beyond words and look at the actual #s for a guy who will be so "hard to replace."

And the FACTS (something you probably don't like too much) prove he is being targeted MORE OFTEN this season than his previous seasons. And, he is so hard to replace, that on the below have more production than Wall_ASS has. That is 45 rec. who have more yards than does MW. I mean, how on earth will we ever find a way to replace a guy that ranks as 46th in the NFL in yards? That is insane. No way can we ever replace that.

Calvin Johnson WR DET 12 86 1428 119.0 16.6 53 29 4 5
Demaryius Thomas WR DEN 13 74 1197 92.1 16.2 71 23 5 8
Brandon Marshall WR CHI 12 91 1182 98.5 13.0 56 14 2 8
Reggie Wayne WR IND 12 88 1156 96.3 13.1 30 20 0 3
Andre Johnson WR HOU 12 74 1114 92.8 15.1 60 17 4 3
A.J. Green WR CIN 12 76 1107 92.2 14.6 73 14 7 10
Wes Welker WR NE 12 92 1064 88.7 11.6 59 9 2 4
Roddy White WR ATL 12 68 1023 85.2 15.0 59 16 3 4
Vincent Jackson WR TB 12 50 1014 84.5 20.3 95 19 4 7
Dez Bryant WR DAL 12 71 978 81.5 13.8 85 12 3 8
Julio Jones WR ATL 12 58 931 77.6 16.1 80 14 4 6
Brian Hartline WR MIA 12 60 891 74.2 14.9 80 10 3 1
Steve Smith WR CAR 12 53 890 74.2 16.8 66 12 3 2
Victor Cruz WR NYG 12 68 883 73.6 13.0 80 9 3 8
Marques Colston WR NO 12 61 828 69.0 13.6 40 10 1 8
Cecil Shorts WR JAC 12 43 824 68.7 19.2 80 15 5 7
Lance Moore WR NO 11 52 822 74.7 15.8 43 11 1 4
Jason Witten TE DAL 12 88 818 68.2 9.3 36 6 0 1
Eric Decker WR DEN 13 64 790 60.8 12.3 55 10 1 8
Miles Austin WR DAL 12 51 773 64.4 15.2 49 13 1 5
Tony Gonzalez TE ATL 12 73 770 64.2 10.5 25 3 0 7
Malcom Floyd WR SD 12 51 765 63.8 15.0 39 14 0 4
Anquan Boldin WR BAL 12 55 750 62.5 13.6 43 14 1 2
Rob Gronkowski TE NE 10 53 748 74.8 14.1 41 12 1 10
Torrey Smith WR BAL 12 42 732 61.0 17.4 54 13 4 7
Dwayne Bowe WR KC 12 57 731 60.9 12.8 46 9 1 3
Brandon Myers TE OAK 13 70 728 56.0 10.4 29 8 0 4
Davone Bess
Mike Williams WR TB 12 43 718 59.8 16.7 65 12 5 6
Steve Johnson WR BUF 12 55 705 58.8 12.8 63 6 2 5
Jeremy Kerley WR NYJ 12 48 701 58.4 14.6 66 12 3 2
DeSean Jackson WR PHI 11 45 700 63.6 15.6 77 9 2 2
Denarius Moore WR OAK 12 42 678 56.5 16.1 58 12 2 6
Percy Harvin WR MIN 9 62 677 75.2 10.9 45 8 1 3
Donnie Avery WR IND 12 49 675 56.2 13.8 48 8 4 3
Randall Cobb WR GB 12 64 675 56.2 10.5 39 9 0 7
Michael Crabtree WR SF 12 57 668 55.7 11.7 36 8 0 5
Jordy Nelson WR GB 11 46 658 59.8 14.3 61 7 3 6
Jimmy Graham TE NO 11 59 654 59.5 11.1 46 8 1 8
Larry Fitzgerald WR ARI 12 56 650 54.2 11.6 37 8 0 4
Josh Gordon WR CLE 12 34 646 53.8 19.0 71 12 3 5
Andre Roberts WR ARI 11 50 639 58.1 12.8 46 9 2 5
Greg Olsen TE CAR 12 50 636 53.0 12.7 47 8 1 4
Nate Washington WR TEN 12 38 633 52.8 16.7 71 12 2 4
Sidney Rice WR SEA 12 43 623 51.9 14.5 46 10 1 7

however in the world are those teams going to be able to pay those wrs 12-20 million per year(you know, fair market value) when they become FAs?

eniparadoxgma
12-07-2012, 07:21 PM
This IS pathetic. This is TO-ish, except TO always produced. Go to Oakland. This guy is a POS. Close the chapter on him. I don't even want to see him on the field as a Steeler any longer.

Completely agree. I say bench him for the rest of the year. If Sanders can quit dropping the ball I'd rather have him out there playing with heart than Wallace out there "losing focus" because he's not getting thrown the ball enough for his liking. Get him the hell out of Pittsburgh.

steelz09
12-07-2012, 08:24 PM
After reading this article, 3 thoughts immediately went through my mind.

1. That he's truly speaking his mind and not sugar-coating it. I may not agree with it but I respect his honesty.

2. He should have kept his thoughts about this in house.

3. He's a moron. He's a moron on multiple levels for several reasons and here's a few:

- Many of the "high powered" offenses spread the ball around especially those with elite QBs. Look at the weapons on New England, New Orleans, Atlanta, Green Bay, San Fran, etc. These teams have a lot of offensive weapons and their QBs spread the ball around. One week, a WR might have a huge game, the next week they may only have 2 catches (i.e. Roddy White last week.) Based on his comments, he wants to be "the guy" and not share success or have competition with his co-workers. He would not be happy on ANY of these teams because he wouldn't be "the guy". I could see the Browns or the Rams being a good fit for him. They need WRs in a bad way and he would be "the guy". I don't think Super Bowls are very important to Wallace. He wants to get paid and he wants to be "the guy" and I think he's willing to sacrifice being on a winning team in order to gain it.

- His situation is not so bad... If anyone has something to complain about it's Fitzgerald. The QB play has been so pathetic in Arizona it's hard to watch. You have an elite WR that is an INSANE talent and you have no one to even throw him the ball.

- Maybe he would see the ball more if he was more dependable. The secret is out on Wallace. His catches are seriously impacted by the fact that he's not a short/intermediate route guy. He's maybe not a "one trick poney" but he's darn close.

- He should have taken the Steelers offer. The first clue was the fact that the Steelers dangled him in front of 31 other teams and not one team wanted to give up their 1st rounder to get him. Do you think teams would give up a first rounder for Roddy White, Calvin Johnson, Fitzgerald, AJ Green, etc? You betcha!. Listen up Wallace...that should've been your first damn clue of where the rest of the league thinks you stand as an "elite" WR.

lloydroid
12-07-2012, 09:19 PM
After reading this article, 3 thoughts immediately went through my mind.

1. That he's truly speaking his mind and not sugar-coating it. I may not agree with it but I respect his honesty.

2. He should have kept his thoughts about this in house.

3. He's a moron. He's a moron on multiple levels for several reasons and here's a few:

- Many of the "high powered" offenses spread the ball around especially those with elite QBs. Look at the weapons on New England, New Orleans, Atlanta, Green Bay, San Fran, etc. These teams have a lot of offensive weapons and their QBs spread the ball around. One week, a WR might have a huge game, the next week they may only have 2 catches (i.e. Roddy White last week.) Based on his comments, he wants to be "the guy" and not share success or have competition with his co-workers. He would not be happy on ANY of these teams because he wouldn't be "the guy". I could see the Browns or the Rams being a good fit for him. They need WRs in a bad way and he would be "the guy". I don't think Super Bowls are very important to Wallace. He wants to get paid and he wants to be "the guy" and I think he's willing to sacrifice being on a winning team in order to gain it.

- His situation is not so bad... If anyone has something to complain about it's Fitzgerald. The QB play has been so pathetic in Arizona it's hard to watch. You have an elite WR that is an INSANE talent and you have no one to even throw him the ball.

- Maybe he would see the ball more if he was more dependable. The secret is out on Wallace. His catches are seriously impacted by the fact that he's not a short/intermediate route guy. He's maybe not a "one trick poney" but he's darn close.

- He should have taken the Steelers offer. The first clue was the fact that the Steelers dangled him in front of 31 other teams and not one team wanted to give up their 1st rounder to get him. Do you think teams would give up a first rounder for Roddy White, Calvin Johnson, Fitzgerald, AJ Green, etc? You betcha!. Listen up Wallace...that should've been your first damn clue of where the rest of the league thinks you stand as an "elite" WR.

I agree with all of this. I was kind of shocked to see how low he ranked on the WR production this season. In the mid-40s? And he wants $11 mill a year? Give me a f'n break. He F'd up by not taking the Steelers' offer. And now he is throwing a little hissy fit all season long. That is a distraction. For as many times as he drops the ball, we don't need his jack ass attitude poisoning this team chemistry. And we can live without a pure deep threat just fine. Brown and Sanders can make big plays out of medium routes with YACs. And Haley's offense is based on much more short and intermediate stuff. It can be successful without the pure deep threat. Hell, even Heath can make some pretty long plays as he did vs. Balt. He's just not too bright, or he wouldn't choose to A.) decide he is going to just not give full effort on a contract year, and B.) Not actually verbalize about his "lack of focus." Those are simply two things that you must be pretty stupid to choose to do at this point.

I saw "A Football Life" featuring Jimmy Johnson the other week. He was on his boat with Belichick and said, "Remember what I told you? If I ever draft a stupid player again, hit me in the head with a hammer. You can't fix stupid." I am not saying you need to have all road scholars on your team, especially on defense, but if you have really stupid players, it just makes things much more difficult.

LordVile
12-07-2012, 09:57 PM
wutta FOOLIO. ive heard enough at this point. at first we could only speculate his true feelings but now the cat is out of the bag.. he gots NO HEART.. trade him..

Adios!!

Oviedo
12-07-2012, 10:16 PM
After reading the last three to four pages its pretty funny to think we had posters just a short time ago arguing for Wallace and trying to convince the world how importnat he is.

chiken
12-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Cant imagine what a guy like Heath Miller thought when he heard that..

steelfin
12-08-2012, 04:28 AM
This article or his comments will have zero impact on his contract next year.

While I agree that it doesn't make sense to pay him crazy money....his absence will impact this team. We would have lost 2 maybe 3 games this year without him...

He leads the teams in receiving and TDs....what does that say about the rest of our WR corp?

He will get a big contract next year...maybe Indy?

flippy
12-08-2012, 06:13 AM
Tomlin needs to treat him like Mendy. No hat on Sunday for Wally.

feltdizz
12-08-2012, 01:35 PM
We won't miss him... sure we won't see blazing speed while going deep but you will see another WR step in and produce. Some of you act like we won't field 11 players without Wallace. We will be fine.

flippy
12-08-2012, 06:49 PM
We won't miss him... sure we won't see blazing speed while going deep but you will see another WR step in and produce. Some of you act like we won't field 11 players without Wallace. We will be fine.

When your #2 and #3 QB come in and stare down your #3 WR, you know there's a problem for the #1 WR. It tells me that Chuck and Byron know where Manny's gonna be, but have no clue Where's Waldo. Says 1 guy's a good route runner and the other isn't.

It would be the equivalent of backup QBs for the Cardinals looking/throwing to Early Doucet instead of Larry Fitzgerald. Or the backups in Detroit throwing to Ryan Broyles instead of Megatron.

squidkid
12-08-2012, 07:54 PM
This article or his comments will have zero impact on his contract next year.

While I agree that it doesn't make sense to pay him crazy money....his absence will impact this team. We would have lost 2 maybe 3 games this year without him...

He leads the teams in receiving and TDs....what does that say about the rest of our WR corp?

He will get a big contract next year...maybe Indy?

its a wash. he costs us a few game also

fordfixer
12-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Maybe Mike could try this place its not too far from Pittsburghhttp://us.mg5.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=2_0_0_1_117995_APvZimIAAXx0UMPWfwSoW2 LYvxU&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1

AkronSteel
12-08-2012, 10:24 PM
I've been a Mike Wallace supporter from the start. Stating that the team needed to give the man a fair contract resembling Vincent Jackson and Desean Jackson's but after watching this guy all season long and his lack of effort and focus has shown me that he is not Steeler material. He can go get another owner to pay him a ton of money and show lack of effort elsewhere. The Steelers would still have Antonio, Manny, Cotchery, and probably a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. I will take that over paying Mike Wallace and give his money to Keenan Lewis, who at this point has shown that he is a must sign. The Steelers could probably get Lewis for somewhere in the 6 years 40 million range which is less than what Wallace would have cost anyway. Which will also allow the Steelers to offer Heath Miller a fair deal.

pittpete
12-09-2012, 12:07 AM
I will take that over paying Mike Wallace and give his money to Keenan Lewis, who at this point has shown that he is a must sign.

Oviedo
12-09-2012, 10:56 AM
I've been a Mike Wallace supporter from the start. Stating that the team needed to give the man a fair contract resembling Vincent Jackson and Desean Jackson's but after watching this guy all season long and his lack of effort and focus has shown me that he is not Steeler material. He can go get another owner to pay him a ton of money and show lack of effort elsewhere. The Steelers would still have Antonio, Manny, Cotchery, and probably a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. I will take that over paying Mike Wallace and give his money to Keenan Lewis, who at this point has shown that he is a must sign. The Steelers could probably get Lewis for somewhere in the 6 years 40 million range which is less than what Wallace would have cost anyway. Which will also allow the Steelers to offer Heath Miller a fair deal.

AS--Respect that you come on the board and "fess up" that now we have seen the real Mike Wallace so many of his defenders were wrong. Wallace deserves a decent contract for a WR. He still has value, but that decent contract is realistically in the $6-8M range no where near what the Jackson's make. He has shown that this season.

Unfortunately, I think he may have burned his bridges with this organization with his attitude and performance because I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't even willing to give him what Antonio Brown got. Hopefully the light comes on for him and he plays lights out the rest of the season.

hawaiiansteel
12-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Steelers notebook: Receiver Wallace not discouraged by booing

By Alan Robinson
Updated: Thursday, December 13, 2012

Mike Wallace wasn‘t surprised at being booed after dropping a downfield pass Sunday, saying he knew he would be under scrutiny all season because of his training-camp holdout.

“Anything I do is going to be magnified, good, bad,” Wallace said. “It‘s doesn‘t really matter. I just got to do what I need to do and handle my business and not give anybody a reason to say anything.”

And a big play will elicit cheering?

“Some (fans) would,” Wallace said. “I think they‘re out to get me a little bit.”

• Are the Steelers in the right frame of mind to shake off a season filled with surprising losses and make the playoffs? Wallace believes they are. A potential unrestricted free agent, Wallace might be playing his last few regular-season games in Pittsburgh, and the receiver doesn‘t want to leave without playing more January games. “We have three games to go hard and a playoff race to make and just try to do what we can,” Wallace said. “If we handle all of our business, all of those things will go away. Winning is the only thing that matters, and it makes everything better. If we win games and make plays, everything else will go out the window.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3118297-85/wallace-roethlisberger-steelers#ixzz2F47x3I4J

hawaiiansteel
12-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Guess who leads the AFC North in drops?

December, 19, 2012
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

If you asked me who leads the AFC North in dropped passes, my three guesses would've been: Mike Wallace, Mike Wallace and Mike Wallace. Well, I was wrong.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green tops the division in that category. This shocked me because Green has such great hands. Everyone remembers Green's drop in the red zone against Dallas, but I can't recall many more than that one. Last season, Green had three drops on 112 targets. This year, he has seven drops on 138 targets.

Wallace is close behind Green with six dropped passes. That's tied for the second-most in the AFC North with Bengals tight end Jermaine Gresham and Browns wide receiver Greg Little. Saints tight end Jimmy Graham leads the NFL with 11 dropped passes.

In terms of teams, the Browns lead the division with 26 drops, which is tied for eighth-most in the league. The Steelers and Bengals have a total of 22 drops. The Ravens have the least amount of dropped passes with 19. Wide receiver Torrey Smith has the most drops for Baltimore with four.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/61622/guess-who-leads-the-afc-north-in-drops

Oviedo
12-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Guess who leads the AFC North in drops?

December, 19, 2012
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

If you asked me who leads the AFC North in dropped passes, my three guesses would've been: Mike Wallace, Mike Wallace and Mike Wallace. Well, I was wrong.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green tops the division in that category. This shocked me because Green has such great hands. Everyone remembers Green's drop in the red zone against Dallas, but I can't recall many more than that one. Last season, Green had three drops on 112 targets. This year, he has seven drops on 138 targets.

Wallace is close behind Green with six dropped passes. That's tied for the second-most in the AFC North with Bengals tight end Jermaine Gresham and Browns wide receiver Greg Little. Saints tight end Jimmy Graham leads the NFL with 11 dropped passes.

In terms of teams, the Browns lead the division with 26 drops, which is tied for eighth-most in the league. The Steelers and Bengals have a total of 22 drops. The Ravens have the least amount of dropped passes with 19. Wide receiver Torrey Smith has the most drops for Baltimore with four.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/61622/guess-who-leads-the-afc-north-in-drops

How many targets does Wallace have? Green's drop rate is 4.3% (6/138=.043)

I'm betting Wallace has far fewer taregts and therefore a much higher drop rate.

BTW--I'll take AJ Green over Wallace every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

hawaiiansteel
12-19-2012, 04:57 PM
How many targets does Wallace have? Green's drop rate is 4.3% (6/138=.043)

I'm betting Wallace has far fewer taregts and therefore a much higher drop rate.

BTW--I'll take AJ Green over Wallace every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Green has seven drops, one more than Wallace's six.

thus Green's drop % is 7/138 = 5.07%

Mike Wallace has been targeted 114 times and has dropped six so 6/114 = 5.26% which is indeed higher than Green's.

as for who is a better WR, Green is better and it's not even remotely close.

RuthlessBurgher
12-19-2012, 07:47 PM
According to ESPN Stats & Information, Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green tops the division in that category.

Since we have no one that should be able to cover him this weekend, we'll have to hope for some continuing effects of Sweeditis for Green at Heinz on Sunday.