PDA

View Full Version : The Next Great Steeler OLB....

Dee Dub
12-06-2012, 05:02 PM
...Anthony Barr UCLA? Now granted he is in the first year of playing division 1 football. Actually his first year of ever playing defense,(let alone OLB). But if he decides to be one and done and enter the NFL draft, this freak is going to be a hot commodity. A RB turned OLB in UCLA's hybrid 3-4 who has turned into one of the countries best pass rushers.

Freakish athletic ability. 6 ft 4 235 and has shown the ability to cover. He has a great wing span, ala J.J. Watt and has the knack for knocking down passes at the LOS.

70 tackles, 13.5 sacks, 20.5 tackles for loss, 5 PD's, and 4 FF.

lloydroid
12-06-2012, 05:05 PM
I thought you were going to say it was Worilds. Leads the team in sack in just a few starts. And he is laying the lumber out there; took on that huge FB in Balt. last week and didn't end up worse for wear. He is starting to be effective out there.

Dee Dub
12-06-2012, 05:29 PM
I thought you were going to say it was Worilds. Leads the team in sack in just a few starts. And he is laying the lumber out there; took on that huge FB in Balt. last week and didn't end up worse for wear. He is starting to be effective out there.

No, I agree Worilds has flashed some "good" but I am thinking "great". That is what we need for the ROLB. James Harrison may not be back next year. I don't think either Worilds or Woodley are the answer for what the Steelers need going up against the leagues premier LT's. They are fine on the other side but not at the elite ROLB spot.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-06-2012, 05:32 PM
No, I agree Worilds has flashed some "good" but I am thinking "great". That is what we need for the ROLB. James Harrison may not be back next year. I don't think either Worilds or Woodley are the answer for what the Steelers need going up against the leagues premier LT's. They are fine on the other side but not at the elite ROLB spot.
Agreed. Barr might look pretty good in Black and Gold. But if he's all that, chances are good that about 31 other teams will be paying attention...

Dee Dub
12-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Agreed. Barr might look pretty good in Black and Gold. But if he's all that, chances are good that about 31 other teams will be paying attention...

Yep...but this year the cool thing is there may be about 10 Anthony Barr types available in round one.

Jarvis Jones
Bjoern Werner
DaMontra Moore
Sam Montgomery
Barkevious Mingo
Anthony Barr
Alex Okafor
Dion Jordan
Corey Lemonier
Esekiel Ansah ( more of a 4-3 DE put a plus pass rusher)

..and two other blue chippers who have gotten hurt, Jackson Jeffcoat and Tank Carradine that could still be very much in the mix.

Dee Dub
12-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Oh and dont sleep on USC's Morgan Breslin.

RuthlessBurgher
12-06-2012, 08:14 PM
I still can't shake the stink of UCLA OLB past...give me another decade or two before we go back to that well...

http://beatsc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/bvrfb-395nch-600x566.jpg

lloydroid
12-06-2012, 08:25 PM
I still can't shake the stink of UCLA OLB past...give me another decade or two before we go back to that well...

http://beatsc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/bvrfb-395nch-600x566.jpg

Without knowing, that's got to be Bruce Davis. That was one horrible draft pick, especially considering we had much greater needs on the OL at the time.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Yeah, but he looked cool in shades. Is Brucie still playing anywhere?

Slapstick
12-06-2012, 09:49 PM
...Anthony Barr UCLA? Now granted he is in the first year of playing division 1 football. Actually his first year of ever playing defense,(let alone OLB). But if he decides to be one and done and enter the NFL draft, this freak is going to be a hot commodity. A RB turned OLB in UCLA's hybrid 3-4 who has turned into one of the countries best pass rushers.

And who is the coordinator of UCLA's hybrid 3-4 defense?

Why, none other than Lou Spanos...Spanos was a Steeler assistant coach (defensive quality control) for more than a decade...along with John Mitchell and Dick LeBeau, he is one of three Steeler coaches to be on staff for SB XXX, XL and XLIII...

Given Spanos' background, how could anyone doubt that Barr would be a good fit?

hawaiiansteel
12-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Without knowing, that's got to be Bruce Davis. That was one horrible draft pick

right after we picked Bruce Davis in the 3rd round of the 2008 Draft the following players were selected by other teams: :HeadBanger

Jermichael Finley TE
Cliff Avril OLB
Philip Wheeler OLB
Mario Manningham WR

phillyesq
12-07-2012, 02:15 PM

It might be completely unfair to Barr, but as soon as I saw UCLA, all I could think of was Bruce Davis.

papillon
12-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Maybe, the next great Steeler OLB is already on the team, just sayin...

Pappy

Dee Dub
12-07-2012, 02:30 PM
It might be completely unfair to Barr, but as soon as I saw UCLA, all I could think of was Bruce Davis.

Is that how you pick out books to read....by their cover? :p

Personally I think Barr should return to UCLA for his senior year. But he is a totally different type of athlete than Bruce Davis. Davis was limited. Barr has a much higher ceiling. If you look at guys like Aldon Smith I believe Barr's ceiling is somewhere near that. Same type of build and very similar athletically.