PDA

View Full Version : I've said it since the beginning of November!

AkronSteel
12-06-2012, 01:09 AM
I really like where this team stands and where it is headed. Are there issues with this squad? Of course there is but there are issues with every team in the NFL. Ben's health is our first and foremost concern but from all signs leading from practice he will be on the field come Sunday, which is a Godsend. This team has a tendency to be inconsistent with their running game but over the next couple of weeks they can hopefully find their niche since they have opponents that will be easier to run on. The OL has been inconsistent because of injuries but I think we are starting to see a team that could find it's staring 5 come playoff time with Starks, Colon, Pouncey, DeCastro, and Foster. They have had trouble producing turnovers and sacks but the Chargers and Cowboys should help the team find this ability since they are turnover prone. I think this team could find it's stride come December and could be the team that no one wants to see in January, kind of like the Giants, Packers, and 05 Steelers. Their schedule sets up as such with three of the last four at home and the most important game (The Bengals) being at Heinz.

The Chargers - this team has fallen apart and will have a hard time getting up for an early start in the Burgh considering its 10 AM their time.

The Cowboys - The Cowboys are always terrible in December and if I recall correctly Romo either leads the league or is second in the league in interceptions. The Steelers should go down there and take care of business without much resistance.

The Bengals - This is the game that will make or break the Steelers hopes of advancing far into the playoffs. The Bengals are playing very well but at the same time Andy Dalton is pretty terrible every time he sees the Steelers. There is no way BJGE will run on the Steelers the way he has their last few opponents and yes their D is much improved but playing at Heinz will not be an easy task for this young group.

The Browns - Well we already know the bad taste that the Steelers will have in their mouth the next time they see the Brown and Orange. I have the feeling that the Steelers are going to put a real hurting on the Growns without the opponent putting up much of a fight. I could see a 40 Burger.

Overall I think this team finishes 11-5 and looking at the Ravens schedule we may actually have a shot in the division. The trip to Washington will be no redeo as Flacco is terrible on the road and the Ravens D will struggle mightily with RG3 and Alfred Morris. That game will come down to who makes the mistake in the 4th quarter. The Ravens also have home games against the Manning Boys and I woudl expect them to lose at least one of them. They them close the season in Cincy and the Bengals could be playing for a playoff spot and did I mention that Flacco is terrible on the Road. If the Ravens lose 3 out 4 games them all the sudden the records look like this.

Steelers 11-5
Ravens 10-6
Bengals 9-7
Browns 5-11

I don't know if this would score the Steelers a bye but it sure would be nice to see a playoff game in the Burgh with all the towels a waving.

Seeding would look like this:

1) Houston
2) New England
3) Denver
4) Pittsburgh
5) Baltimore
6) Cinncy

hawaiiansteel
12-06-2012, 01:21 AM
a very well-thought out and written post! :Clap

unfortunately, I just can't see us finishing ahead of the Ravens...

steelfin
12-06-2012, 02:00 AM
We can dream....I would love for it to play out that way, but time will tell.

I am just hoping we can get past San Diego this week.

Slapstick
12-06-2012, 07:08 AM
The Ravens play @ Washington, vs. Denver, vs. NY Giants and @ Cincinnati...

It is very possible that they could lose three or all four of those games...

Eich
12-06-2012, 09:28 AM
The Ravens play @ Washington, vs. Denver, vs. NY Giants and @ Cincinnati...

It is very possible that they could lose three or all four of those games...

Difficult to imagine a sweeter Christmas present ! The Rats are ripe for the takin'. Those 4 teams need to pounce early and keep their spirits crushed.

RKSteel
12-06-2012, 12:11 PM
1) Houston
2) New England
3) Denver
4) Pittsburgh
5) Baltimore
6) Cinncy
If this is how it ends, I believe Steelers would play Ratbirds at home, Cin @ Den. Pit, Den win: Pit @ Hou, Den @ NE. Pit, Cin win: Pit @ NE, Cin @ Hou.

flippy
12-06-2012, 12:24 PM
And here you are saying it again in the beginning of December. Hopefully you'll get to say it in the beginning of Jan and Feb. And we can celebrate it the whole offseason.

RuthlessBurgher
12-06-2012, 02:13 PM
The Colts already have 8 wins. They still have 2 tough games left against the division leading Texans, and they host the Titans and travel to the Chiefs. I don't see Indy collapsing down the stretch and finishing behind the Bengals.

AkronSteel
12-06-2012, 02:22 PM
I just having a funny feeling about this team and they are going to get healthy right at the correct time and will be one of the if not the most dangerous team!! Haley's offense looks like it is starting to click and the defense is starting to make more splash plays!! Looking forward to this playoff run!

:tt2

Jooser
12-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Things could go either way at this points. The most important thing the Steelers should learn is to shore up the mistakes and quit handing games to lesser opponents. If they learn to stop pressing and just take care of business, then the outcome will be favorable.

lloydroid
12-06-2012, 04:33 PM
a very well-thought out and written post! :Clap

unfortunately, I just can't see us finishing ahead of the Ravens...

My thoughts exactly. And these are the Steelers. No way will all these games be such a breeze. I am leaning more towards NONE of them being easy wins.

RuthlessBurgher
12-06-2012, 07:59 PM
My thoughts exactly. And these are the Steelers. No way will all these games be such a breeze. I am leaning more towards NONE of them being easy wins.

As long as they are wins, it doesn't matter how easy or difficult they might be. :tt2

hawaiiansteel
12-07-2012, 01:35 AM
Steelers are looking to get hot in December

By Alan Robinson
Published: Thursday, December 6, 2012

Don’t dare to be average. Don’t dare to be good. Be great. Go 4-0. Remind the NFL that the Steelers are going to be the Steelers in January.

Obviously, quarterbacks Ben Roethlisberger’s impending return from his shoulder-related injuries is exciting his teammates — especially the wide receivers — and making them eager to build off the surprise win in Baltimore.

So enthused, in fact, that they’re thinking out loud about what this up-and-down team is capable of doing during a closing stretch that offers three home games, plus the opportunity for the Steelers to win their way into the playoffs for the ninth time since 2001.

“These next four weeks are going to write this story,” receiver Mike Wallace said Thursday as the Steelers looked ahead to their Sunday home game against the Chargers and beyond.

The Steelers (7-5) play at the Cowboys the following week before they finish at Heinz Field against the Bengals (7-5) — perhaps their biggest game of the season — and the Browns 4-8

Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are tied for the second AFC wild-card slot. Unless AFC north leader Baltimore (9-3) and wild-card leader Indianapolis (8-4) fall apart, that No. 6 seed might be the best the Steelers can achieve.

Not that finishing so low would doom their playoff chances; two No. 6 teams (the Packers and 2005 Steelers) and a No. 5 team (the Giants) won the Super Bowl in the past seven seasons.

“We’ve got four crucial games in which we’ve got to go out and make plays for us to go to the playoffs,” receiver Emmanuel Sanders said.

So, Wallace asked, why not win them all?

“You can’t go into playoffs lollygagging. You can’t go dragging into playoffs,” Wallace said. “You have to be on your game, and you have to pack that punch that you need in the playoffs. It’s not going to be an average team that wins in the playoffs. You have to be a great team in the playoffs. Even though we haven’t been great the whole year, if we get great now, that’s all that really matters.

“We need to make this run. You don’t want to lag into the playoffs, go 2-2 or 1-3 and hope to get in. We need to hit a streak now, get rolling and head into the playoffs with some momentum, where we have that power and feel good about ourselves.”

Having the offense intact — with Roethlisberger in charge — is providing hope that the offense might develop some of that late-season consistency in December, when the Steelers are 9-2 since 2010. The last two times the Steelers won the Super Bowl, they went 4-1 in December and January regular-season games in 2005 and 3-1 in 2008.

That offense, with Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch in charge, managed only four touchdowns in the three games Roethlisberger was out. It’s expecting more now.

“If we want to make a run and get into the playoffs, we want (Roethlisberger) with us, and we look forward to having him with us,” said receiver Antonio Brown, who returned against Baltimore after missing three games with a high ankle sprain. “Every week is going to be a key to the journey. Every game from here on out is going to be exciting and interesting and give us the opportunity to make the playoffs, and it’s great three of the four are at Heinz Field.

“We’ve got a quarter of the season left, and we need to finish strong because it will pay dividends to get us to where want to go.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3082111-85/playoffs-steelers-games#ixzz2EKzhAB9P