PDA

View Full Version : Plaxico vs Cotchery?

Mister Pittsburgh
12-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Would both be active & available if the young money crew is all able to go? Do we have 5 wide active on gameday? If not, which of those 2 is active? Will Ben push for Plax to play? Will Haley recognize the chemistry Ben & Plax have?

All interesting questions to me...

Thoughts.....

BradshawsHairdresser
12-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Any "chemistry" between Ben & Plax is pretty cold after this many years. Even with 5 active, don't forget about Rainey, too.

lloydroid
12-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Yea, I don't know how much "chemistry" remains with Ben and Plex over the years. It's not even the same offense. And Plex has looked like he doesn't have his football legs yet; he just looks like he's uncordinated or something. Itchy Crotchery seems more in the flow of the offense. I have a feeling he will be the more productive player as of right now. I would like to see a heirarchy of calling plays that go to:

- Brown
- Heath
- Sanders
- Cotchery
- Wallace
- Plex

Brown and Heath are our most reliable players in the passing game. I think that is obvious. Wallace has been ridiculously undependable and Sanders is not as trustworthy as Brown and Heath. They are our true $. I think they finally figured out how to tee this all up. Give Dwyer the majority of the carries, with Redman as the change of pace guy (That combo give defenses headaches), and target Brown and Heath the majority of the plays. If they roll with that, things will go well.

AkronSteel
12-05-2012, 09:54 PM
The Wide Receiving Corp mush look as such if healthy:

1) Antonio Brown
2) Mike Wallace / Emmanuel Sanders
3) Jerrico Cotchery
4) Plaxico Burress

Cotchery has made a lot of plays this year on third down and I would believe the Steelers will use Burress exclusively in the red zone where he can be most efffective.

Sugar
12-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Cotchery. Easy.

flippy
12-05-2012, 10:57 PM
I'd dress Plax. We're still not scoring enough. We need him in the RedZone.

If Tomlin really wants to send a message, don't dress Wally.

hawaiiansteel
12-06-2012, 12:35 AM
I'd dress Plax. We're still not scoring enough. We need him in the RedZone.

If Tomlin really wants to send a message, don't dress Wally.

I would dress Plax too for red zone purposes.

and I thought Wallace played hard against the Ravens, he should have caught that one long pass along the sidelines but he also should have had a TD if Batch hadn't overthrown him in the end zone.

steelfin
12-06-2012, 01:59 AM
Dont take this the wrong way...but Plax has done nothing up to this point....When all the recievers are healthy, it will be difficult to keep all of them on the roster...I believe Plax will be the odd man out.

I want him to be successful for the Steelers but I believe he was only here as a stop gap.

hawaiiansteel
12-06-2012, 02:15 AM
Dont take this the wrong way...but Plax has done nothing up to this point....When all the recievers are healthy, it will be difficult to keep all of them on the roster...I believe Plax will be the odd man out.

I want him to be successful for the Steelers but I believe he was only here as a stop gap.

I think Plaxico's spot as our #5 WR is safe for the rest of this season...

feltdizz
12-06-2012, 10:00 AM

Plax drew a pass interference that set up a TD vs the Browns which is something the rest of our WR refuse to or can't do for some odd reason.

feltdizz
12-06-2012, 10:02 AM
I would dress Plax too for red zone purposes.

and I thought Wallace played hard against the Ravens, he should have caught that one long pass along the sidelines but he also should have had a TD if Batch hadn't overthrown him in the end zone.

no guarantee he would've caught that wide open pass in the End Zone.

Not trying to knock Wallace but he hasn't been reliable at all this year.

steelfin
12-06-2012, 10:12 AM
I think Plaxico's spot as our #5 WR is safe for the rest of this season...

You are probably right...but I think it is only because of injury or the fact that our practice squad WRs have been poached...

Check out yesterdays practice notes with regard to WR injury....

Nine players missed practice on Wednesday, including tackles Mike Adams (ankle) and Willie Colon (knee), receiver s Antonio Brown (ankle), Emmanuel Sanders (shoulder) and Mike Wallace (knee), safeties Ryan Clark (hip) and Troy Polamalu (not injury related), cornerback Ike Taylor (ankle), and linebacker LaMarr Woodley (ankle).

I think that Cotchery gets the nod if he is healthy....

aggiebones
12-06-2012, 01:24 PM
plax is old, has clumsy hands and runs HORRIBLE routes. For his height, he refuses to jump and high point a ball. Typically the closer the ball get to him, the more his legs give out and he sags to the ground.
He has 'some' remaining speed for his age and size. And appears to be willing to do anything to keep a job, which is always good.
But Cotch is signed and a very positive player. He gets the job done routinely. Very good no.3/4 WR.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Wallace and Plax both had 8 TD's last year.

flippy
12-06-2012, 02:14 PM
the closer the ball get to him, the more his legs give out and he sags to the ground.

I've never seen Plax described so eloquently.

hawaiiansteel
12-06-2012, 05:29 PM
no guarantee he would've caught that wide open pass in the End Zone.

Not trying to knock Wallace but he hasn't been reliable at all this year.

Wallace was WIDE open in the end zone, there wasn't a defender anywhere near him. if Batch throws the ball accurately that is a TD catch 99 out of 100 times.

RuthlessBurgher
12-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Jerricho > Plaxico.

But since Brown, Wallace, and Sanders all missed practice on Wednesday, I think we dress 5 WR's this week. Normally it would be an issue that your #5 WR doesn't play on ST's, but your #1 WR does contribute on special teams, so I guess that balances itself out.

squidkid
12-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Wallace was WIDE open in the end zone, there wasn't a defender anywhere near him. if Batch throws the ball accurately that is a TD catch 99 out of 100 times.

sure, and the one time that wallace would drop that one is when the team needed it

hawaiiansteel
12-07-2012, 06:15 PM
sure, and the one time that wallace would drop that one is when the team needed it

oh, so you're one of those "the glass is 1% empty" kind of guys huh? :roll:

squidkid
12-07-2012, 06:22 PM
oh, so you're one of those "the glass is 1% empty" kind of guys huh? :roll:

nope, i'm one of those guys that was right about wallace during the off season. there was about 1% of us;)

hawaiiansteel
12-07-2012, 06:38 PM
nope, i'm one of those guys that was right about wallace during the off season. there was about 1% of us;)

try not to get hurt patting yourself on the back, there were a lot of posters right here on this board who did not advocate giving Wallace a big contract after he slumped badly in the second half of last season.

squidkid
12-07-2012, 06:40 PM
try not to get hurt patting yourself on the back, there were a lot of posters right here on this board who did not advocate giving Wallace a big contract after he slumped badly in the second half of last season.

let me guess, you werent one of them

hawaiiansteel
12-07-2012, 08:14 PM
let me guess, you werent one of them

as usual, you are wrong.

I'm all for keeping Wallace at a reasonable price, but not at the amount he was seeking.

hawaiiansteel
12-08-2012, 02:46 AM
Burress biding time, waiting for chances

By Mark Kaboly
Published: Friday, December 7, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=nz6dh fDJEzxNbQy2kuZRRc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvZf3sAx3x4Z6q mWe0Wp4erWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

It’s been eight years since Plaxico Burress stepped onto Heinz Field as a Steeler, and the veteran receiver couldn’t help thinking of the possibilities when the Steelers host San Diego on Sunday.

“Hopefully, I can go out there and make some plays and hopefully score a couple touchdowns. It is going to be emotional, it is going to be fun ...,” Burress said.

The problem is that Burress likely won’t get that opportunity.

With Jerricho Cotchery returning from a rib injury and banged-up receivers Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and Mike Wallace listed as probable, Burress probably will be the odd man out for the first time in his career.

The Steelers rarely use four wide receivers and never dress five. And if Burress is the odd man out, the man, perceived as a troublemaker by many around the league that kept him unsigned for nine months, won’t complain.

Why? Because of a promise he made Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert before signing.

“Like I told the guys upstairs, I am willing to go out and fulfill whatever role is presented to me, and I stand by that,” Burress said. “Whenever they put me in the game, I want to answer the call.”

Burress has been nothing more than an afterthought since signing with the Steelers two weeks ago.

He’s yet to make a catch, he’s been targeted only two times and has played only 12 of 132 snaps, including only one last week against Baltimore.

For a 35-year-old who has 8,400 career yards and 63 touchdowns, it can’t be easy taking an ancillary role on a team that drafted you in the first round a decade before.

“I would think (it’s tough), but you also have to consider he hadn’t been on a team for most of the year,” Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley said. “I think he has been around long enough to understand where he fits right now.”

Burress mostly was used in the red zone against Cleveland. He was targeted twice, one of which resulted in a pass-interference call in the end zone that set up Chris Rainey’s touchdown run.

With Brown back last week, Burress’ role diminished to a single snap, and that came only because Sanders hurt his shoulder.

“You kind of sense your day will come,” Burress said. “I have three great talents in front of me. I have never been around a group of guys with that much talent and speed. They all are very talented, and I just sit back and enjoy.”

Burress knows that limited opportunities now don’t necessarily mean things will stay that way. Injuries could vault him into a prominent role.

“He has been around long enough to understand how it goes,” Haley said. “He is mature enough to handle it. He is a grown man that understands what he is trying to work toward.”

Burress spent the early part of the week with the first team re-connecting with Ben Roethlisberger — his quarterback in his final season with the Steelers in 2004.

Burress said he’s digesting the playbook but still finds himself making the occasional mistake.

“I pride myself in knowing what to do,” Burress said. “I missed a couple calls at the line of scrimmage (Wednesday). I have to tighten those things up and put the trust in the coaches that I can go out and play whatever the call is.”

Burress signed a one-year deal with the Steelers for the veteran minimum with the intention of showing other teams around the league that he can still be a productive player while not being a distraction.

“Everything is not greener on the other side as you might imagine when you leave,” Burress said.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3097549-85/burress-steelers-role#ixzz2ER6UuaCy

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2012, 12:36 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BIwpwMMJCPM/T4tJyGCnW0I/AAAAAAAADyY/ze0uCQ0QqJ4/s1600/mr.+burns+1+percent.jpg