PDA

View Full Version : Question: Who was playing on the OL?

NorthCoast
12-03-2012, 08:41 PM
and how did they do? (didn't see the game, just highlights).

thanks.

lloydroid
12-03-2012, 08:48 PM
They actually held their own, even with the 4th string at RT. Dwyer had some holes sometimes - he wasn't always getting buried behind the LOS. And Charlie definitely had some time back there (but often held on to the ball way too long, causing me to scream "Get rid of it, how long do you think you have back there?!?!?!")

I think the OL was: Starks, Pouncey at LG, Legs at C, Foster RG, Beachum at RT.

My question: Anyone notice how Beachum did? I didn't see any glaring mistakes. If this dude can play, holy cow we got depth at OL for the first time in forever. Starks, Colon, Pouncy, Foster, Gilbert, Adams, DeCastro and now Beachum. Oh, and throw in Legs for depth at C. How many of these dudes are getting healthy right now? I know DeCastro is close. Hot damn that can turn into great depth. I am so happy I could just smile.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-03-2012, 08:55 PM
everyone played well, IMO.

beachum surprised the hell out of me. I rewatched the game and his footwork looked very good to me, though I'm certainly no expert. They gave him some help sometimes, but won a lot of one one one battles.

I will be very sorry to see ramon foster leave the steelers if that happens in the offseason. The guy just plays nasty and loves to mix it up right to the whistle. His pass pro this season has been superb.

lloydroid
12-03-2012, 09:05 PM

beachum surprised the hell out of me. I rewatched the game and his footwork looked very good to me, though I'm certainly no expert. They gave him some help sometimes, but won a lot of one one one battles.

I will be very sorry to see ramon foster leave the steelers if that happens in the offseason. The guy just plays nasty and loves to mix it up right to the whistle. His pass pro this season has been superb.

I like how Pouncey adds speed and athleticism - not to mention leadership - to the OL mix, whether at OG or OC. Giant fat guys can do the job, but I like when there are at least a few guys who can move well on their feet, instead of the entire OL having "cement shoes" feet. Pouncey can move. It really helps with getting to the 2nd level and mashing up LBs once in a while. That gets the running game going, as opposed to dudes who are kind if "immovable" but also, can't really move themselves.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-03-2012, 09:13 PM
this is still the AFC North.

while quick and agile sounds really nice, you better have some face smashers in there too.

colon and foster fit that bill.

I'm excited about the future of the OL.

lloydroid
12-03-2012, 09:21 PM
this is still the AFC North.

while quick and agile sounds really nice, you better have some face smashers in there too.

colon and foster fit that bill.

I'm excited about the future of the OL.

There are more than 1 way to skin a cat; several plans work. I have seen some great rushing teams without the giant 370 pounders, such as SF and Denver in their Super Bowl years. I have no problem with some massive OL men, but still want to have athletic dudes who can move their feet in the mix. Pouncey is that. So is DeCastro, which is why so many are excited to get this guy on the field. They also both have great mentalities for playing OL in the NFL. I love that we have some nasties on the OL now.

hawaiiansteel
12-03-2012, 09:29 PM

Beachum's play surprised the hell out of me too.

as for Foster, this is most likely his last season as a Steeler. we didn't draft DeCastro for him to sit on the bench and Foster has played well enough this season to find another team that will offer him a good contract.

SidSmythe
12-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Beachum's play surprised the hell out of me too.

as for Foster, this is most likely his last season as a Steeler. we didn't draft DeCastro for him to sit on the bench and Foster has played well enough this season to find another team that will offer him a good contract.

I wouldn't mind giving COLON's money to FOSTER...he's certainly more durable

Eddie Spaghetti
12-03-2012, 09:40 PM
certainly less penalized as well.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Not to mention younger, and probably less expensive.

But we'd probably take a nasty cap hit if we cut Colon loose.

pittpete
12-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Guys, honestly maybe I watched a different game because Beachum got beat a few times.
He definitely gave up 1 sack that I can remember and the 2 hard hits Batch took were by Kruger who Beachum was going against.
One play that sticks out was when Issac gave him help to the outside,Kruger started outside and Beachum almost fell over and knocked into Redman.
Kruger then went right past the flopping Beachum on the inside.
Not trying to spin a negative but gushing over this guy after an average game doesnt sit well.

RuthlessBurgher
12-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Looks like Colon was given a $6 million signing bonus on a 5 year deal. He has 3 years left on that deal. The pro-rated portion of that signing bonus would be $1.2 million per year. If he was cut after this season, he would count for $3.6 million in dead money on the cap. If he was cut after next season, he would count for $2.4 million in dead money on the cap. Of course, his base salary this season and next is scheduled to be $5.5 million, and then goes up to $6 million in 2015. The question is whether you would prefer to have Colon counting $6.7 million against our cap next year as our starting LG, or having Colon counting $3.6 million against our cap next year while playing for someone else.

papillon
12-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Looks like Colon was given a $6 million signing bonus on a 5 year deal. He has 3 years left on that deal. The pro-rated portion of that signing bonus would be $1.2 million per year. If he was cut after this season, he would count for $3.6 million in dead money on the cap. If he was cut after next season, he would count for $2.4 million in dead money on the cap. Of course, his base salary this season and next is scheduled to be $5.5 million, and then goes up to $6 million in 2015. The question is whether you would prefer to have Colon counting $6.7 million against our cap next year as our starting LG, or having Colon counting $3.6 million against our cap next year while playing for someone else.

That's easy, playing for the Steelers, IMO. Veterans exiting, restructures and any other tricks Omar has up his sleeve will have to be used to get the Steelers under the cap. Willie brings a certain nastiness to the OL that makes me like him, even with his brain cramps at times.

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
12-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Guys, honestly maybe I watched a different game because Beachum got beat a few times.
He definitely gave up 1 sack that I can remember and the 2 hard hits Batch took were by Kruger who Beachum was going against.
One play that sticks out was when Issac gave him help to the outside,Kruger started outside and Beachum almost fell over and knocked into Redman.
Not trying to spin a negative but gushing over this guy after an average game doesnt sit well.
Yeah, I didn't think he was great, but surprisingly, not that much different than Adams and Gilbert...and probably an upgrade from Essux, who would have been the guy brought in from the bench last year.

papillon
12-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I didn't think he was great, but surprisingly, not that much different than Adams and Gilbert...and probably an upgrade from Essux, who would have been the guy brought in from the bench last year.

An average start for a 7th round pick starting in his first NFL football game and the game just happens to be the most bitter rivalry in the game. I think that's a win for the Steelers. He wasn't overwhelmed, made some mistakes, gave up a sack, but from all indications his effort was there all night regardless of what happened the previous play or series.

Pappy

AkronSteel
12-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Once the OL is healthy I would expect to see a lineup of:

LT: Starks
LG: Colon
C: Pouncey
RG: DeCastro
RT: Foster

That is the team putting it's best five on the field. Then they could have Legs, Beachum and possibly Adams coming off the bench during the stretch run. This could give the team the best running OL they have had in a while and I would expect Foster to hold his own at RT with chips from RB's and TE's. With the way the OL played yesterday there are all kinds of options.

NorthCoast
12-04-2012, 01:34 PM
An average start for a 7th round pick starting in his first NFL football game and the game just happens to be the most bitter rivalry in the game. I think that's a win for the Steelers. He wasn't overwhelmed, made some mistakes, gave up a sack, but from all indications his effort was there all night regardless of what happened the previous play or series.

Pappy

As I read your description of Beachum's play I swear I could have substituted the name "Mike Adams". If some of you can give Adams a pass or two for being inexperienced, I would say Beachum should get that much and more, as a 7th rounder. He may not be a starter, but the way the Steelers OL has been unable to remain complete for any length of time, they definitely need subs that can hold their own in games like this.

RuthlessBurgher
12-04-2012, 02:47 PM

Of course, on the play immediately preceding the sack he allowed, Beachum sealed off Ngata, which allowed Redman to break free for a 24 yard run. A beast like Ngata should be eating 7th round rookies playing out of position for breakfast, but not on that play.

ikestops85
12-04-2012, 05:52 PM
The only sacks I saw us take were on Charlie for holding the ball way too long. He held it so long I thought for sure there was a number 7 on his back. :stirpot

lloydroid
12-04-2012, 06:19 PM

Now there's a good idea.

lloydroid
12-04-2012, 06:21 PM
The only sacks I saw us take were on Charlie for holding the ball way too long. He held it so long I thought for sure there was a number 7 on his back. :stirpot

It was even longer than Ben holds it; we were screaming at the TV, "How long do you think you have back there!??!"

hawaiiansteel
12-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Colon, Brown & Wallace practice

Posted by Teresa Varley on December 6, 2012

Tackle Willie Colon was back at practice on Thursday and is hoping to play this Sunday against the San Diego Chargers.

“I feel good, I feel real good,” said Colon. “I ran around, I was able to pull, do the necessary things I needed to do. I will see how it reacts tomorrow and try to go this Sunday.”

Colon missed the last two games after a bruise on his knee swelled up.

“I had to drain it a couple of times,” said Colon, who said he thinks it will be a game time decision whether he plays this week or not.

Also returning to practice were receivers Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace, while fellow receiver Emmanuel Sanders was limited in practice after missing practice on Wednesday.

Not practicing on Thursday were tackle Mike Adams (ankle), punter Drew Butler (illness), safeties Ryan Clark (hip) and Troy Polamalu (not injury related), quarterback Byron Leftwich (ribs), cornerback Ike Taylor (ankle), and linebacker LaMarr Woodley (ankle).

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/12/06/colon-brown-wallace-practice/

hawaiiansteel
12-08-2012, 02:00 AM
Steelers offensive line settling into its comfort zone

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=ZQZ9a J1vtQwxWIebnOHFkM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYszL1L8zXDIgJf dshfK8dssWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey holds off Baltimore Ravens defensive linemen in the second quarter at M&T Bank Stadium on December 2, 2012 in Baltimore, Maryland.

By Ralph N. Paulk
Published: Friday, December 7, 2012

The last time quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was behind center, the offensive line collapsed under Kansas City’s relentless pressure.

As a consequence, Roethlisberger was knocked out of action for three games with shoulder and rib injuries. With Roethlisberger set to return Sunday against the San Diego Chargers at Heinz Field, the Steelers’ front five have vowed to keep him clean.

“We really need to come out and make a statement,” guard Ramon Foster said. “The biggest part is communication. We’ve all been on the same page, and it’s worked out for us.”

The offensive line, which surrendered six sacks in protecting backups Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch, played arguably its best game of the season in a 23-20 win over AFC North leader Baltimore this past Sunday.

Even with All-Pro center Maurkice Pouncey playing out of position at left guard, the Ravens barely touched Batch. Generally, Batch was given ample time to survey the field in completing 25 of 36 passes for 276 yards.

“The offensive line was phenomenal,” Batch said. “I held onto the ball a couple of times that resulted in sacks, and I shouldn’t have.

“I think (right tackle Kelvin) Beachum really played great. I don’t think anybody expected him to be out there on an island at right tackle and hold his own in a hostile environment. I think he exceeded everybody’s expectations.”

Suddenly, the expectations are much loftier for an offensive line that has endured an array of injuries this season.

It has carried on without tackle Marcus Gilbert and first-round draft pick David DeCastro, and guard Willie Colon has missed the past two games with a knee injury.

The Steelers have yielded only 25 sacks after giving up 42 last season. More impressive, the offensive line has dealt with adversity better than it did in 2011.

For the most part, its improved consistency has been overshadowed by Roethlisberger’s injury, a perpetual battle at running back and a top-ranked defense that has been credited for rescuing the Steelers’ playoff hopes.

However, the offensive line played a key role in the win at Baltimore. And it’s likely to be counted on again against the Chargers, whose defensive schemes are somewhat similar to the Ravens.

“It’s always a good thing when the offensive line isn’t mentioned,” Starks said.

“You look for your teammates to say how well you played. I think anonymity loses its value if the media talks about what the offensive line did.

“We weren’t called for penalties, and we didn’t do anything stupid as far as assignment errors and giving up sacks. When you look at the Cleveland game (a 20-14 loss), our line was penalized for holding penalties, phantom chop blocks and tripping.”

Again, the offensive front will be forced to prove itself, considering any loss could potentially derail the Steelers’ postseason chances.

The 4-8 Chargers are simply playing out the string with a lame-duck coaching staff. That, of course, could make them tough to beat.

“We have to be head-on with those guys,” Foster said. “We’ve got to play as well as we did in Baltimore.”

“We felt like we did a reasonably good job of protecting Charlie,” guard Doug Legursky said. “San Diego does a couple of different things with their pressure packages, but it’s similar to what Baltimore does.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3082153-85/offensive-steelers-roethlisberger#ixzz2EQvPapJ2