PDA

View Full Version : Interesting: Tomlin calls at least some offensive plays

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-02-2012, 10:45 PM
http://blog.steelers.com/2012/12/02/coach-tomlins-post-game-comments-5/

...We gain a turnover, we give it back. I take responsibility for that on the reverse pass. I am trying to search for a significant play...

Maybe everyone knew it but me, but I had no idea that Tomlin called any plays at all, much less offensive plays. (As it turns out, not a great call, but that's besides the point).

Now I'm always going to wonder - is that a LeBeau/Haley call, or Tomlin?

I didn't need that in my life!

Mister Pittsburgh
12-02-2012, 11:02 PM
I actually didn't mind the reverse pass one bit. 9 times out of 10 that DB starts tracking Brown to get in the play and Dwyer is wide open.

skyhawk
12-02-2012, 11:14 PM
that play shouldn't have been run. If the Steelers have any semblance of a running game up to that point it might have helped. Since they had no running game that play is difficult as no one on the Ravens was fooled.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-02-2012, 11:21 PM
that play shouldn't have been run. If the Steelers have any semblance of a running game up to that point it might have helped. Since they had no running game that play is difficult as no one on the Ravens was fooled.

You don't need to establish a running game to have a fake WR around work. We run that play a couple times a game without the throwback.

skyhawk
12-02-2012, 11:40 PM
That play is very effective in making an over pursuing team that's getting beat on the run susceptible to looking into the backfield. Since the steelers had no run game at that point, the DBs for the Ravens were ready for the pass and it was picked. I am not saying it can't be run, but it would work better if the steelers were running the ball better. It was the wrong call in that point in the game.

focosteeler
12-03-2012, 12:19 AM
Well thanks for that information. Now im not mad at haley. I was cursing his name after it happened

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Plays like that are often called by the head coach. Your run of the mill gameplan plays are called by the OC. He might not have even made the call, he might have just asked Haley for some razzle dazzle.

Oviedo
12-03-2012, 11:01 AM
I actually didn't mind the reverse pass one bit. 9 times out of 10 that DB starts tracking Brown to get in the play and Dwyer is wide open.

I agree. If Brown just puts it a little further up field Dwyer runs right under that pass and the DB can't make a play. Just slightly underthrown.

Oviedo
12-03-2012, 11:11 AM
I'd much rather have Tomlin meddling in the offense than some guy named Whisenhunt in Arizona. How bad a head coach is he?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-03-2012, 11:41 AM
I'd much rather have Tomlin meddling in the offense than some guy named Whisenhunt in Arizona. How bad a head coach is he?

For those who have been complaining about having Charlie Batch as a third string QB, I introduce you to............

Ryan Lindley - http://www.nfl.com/player/ryanlindley/2532894/profile

50 for 103, 448 yds, 0 TDs, 5 ints on the season

flippy
12-03-2012, 11:47 AM
If its a bad call - Tomlin. Got it.

Oviedo
12-03-2012, 12:00 PM
For those who have been complaining about having Charlie Batch as a third string QB, I introduce you to............

Ryan Lindley - http://www.nfl.com/player/ryanlindley/2532894/profile

50 for 103, 448 yds, 0 TDs, 5 ints on the season

Whisenhunt's "magic" with QBs continue. Maybe now we all see why Ben didn't get along with him!

Warner probably bought him a couple extra years before he gets fired.

He can be Cowher's OC when Cowher takes the Eagles job.

ikestops85
12-03-2012, 01:13 PM
I liked the call but not the result. The Ravens were all within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage so we had to do something to back them off. This play helped some.

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Plays like that are often called by the head coach. Your run of the mill gameplan plays are called by the OC. He might not have even made the call, he might have just asked Haley for some razzle dazzle.

Yup...any kind of trickeration...this play, Drew Butler with a no-look flip-pass to Suisham at the goal line, Antonio Brown throwing a sure thing-TD that bounced off Baron Batch's hands...they typically always require H.C. approval. Tomlin doesn't need to be consulted for routine G-power run vs. WR-screen decisions on 2nd and 7.

flippy
12-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Yup...any kind of trickeration...this play, Drew Butler with a no-look flip-pass to Suisham at the goal line, Antonio Brown throwing a sure thing-TD that bounced off Baron Batch's hands...they typically always require H.C. approval. Tomlin doesn't need to be consulted for routine G-power run vs. WR-screen decisions on 2nd and 7.

Could you imagine if the OC, DC, and ST coach had authority to make 1 of these calls a game? You'd almost certainly get 3 craptastic plays. On ST you'd get an onside kick/fake punt/fake FG, on O you get the flea flicker/triple reverse/HB pass, and on D I'm not sure what you get now that I think about it.

Maybe on D you have to seek HC approval to send the house. Wonder if the play Ike got torched on vs Denver was something DL had to run by Tomlin?