PDA

View Full Version : Do the Ravens "own" us?

Oviedo
11-29-2012, 07:41 PM
With a likely win on Sunday that would mean they have swept us two seasons in a row. We can't even do that to the Browns.

BigRob
11-29-2012, 07:48 PM
With a likely win on Sunday that would mean they have swept us two seasons in a row. We can't even do that to the Browns.

The answer would be yes. If you sweep a team two seasons in a row, they PWNED! us.

focosteeler
11-29-2012, 07:49 PM
If they can beat us by 2 touchdowns 4 times in a row with our starters healthy then I would say they own us. With the exception of the first game of the year last year it has been a field goal that won it. That is not owning anyone.

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2012, 07:54 PM
If they win on Sunday, they will have beaten a team with Byron Leftwich at QB in the first game and Charlie Batch at QB in the second game. Would that count as "owning" us? Imagine if we played them with Ben Roethlisberger vs. Tyrod Taylor? If you look at the first game this season where they "owned" us, an injury-riddled Byron Leftwich actually had 35 more passing yards than Flacco, and our defense held Ray Rice to 40 yards on 20 carries. We handed them 10 points on a silver platter via a punt return for a TD and a Wallace fumble deep in our end (already in FG range). Other than those two gifts, our defense held the mighty Ravens to a single FG. Does that count as "owning" us? I concede nothing to the purple mob.

flippy
11-29-2012, 07:57 PM
The Ravens could beat us 100-0 twice for 10 seasons and they'd still suck.

BigRob
11-29-2012, 08:00 PM
If they win on Sunday, they will have beaten a team with Byron Leftwich at QB in the first game and Charlie Batch at QB in the second game. Would that count as "owning" us? Imagine if we played them with Ben Roethlisberger vs. Tyrod Taylor? If you look at the first game this season where they "owned" us, an injury-riddled Byron Leftwich actually had 35 more passing yards than Flacco, and our defense held Ray Rice to 40 yards on 20 carries. We handed them 10 points on a silver platter via a punt return for a TD and a Wallace fumble deep in our end (already in FG range). Other than those two gifts, our defense held the mighty Ravens to a single FG. Does that count as "owning" us? I concede nothing to the purple mob.

Excuses are like A**holes. We all got them. You play the games with who you got.

We get swept two seasons in a row, they own us until the Steelers do something about it.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-29-2012, 08:46 PM
I would say their players don't seem as frail as ours.

Slapstick
11-29-2012, 08:48 PM
If the Ravens win on Sunday, Mike Tomlin will have a 6-6 record vs the Ravens, not counting the playoff win that sent us to XLIII...

That isn't ownership...that's just a good rivalry...

Since the Browns returns to the league in 1999, the Steelers are 22-5 vs the Browns, not including the 2002 playoff win...that is ownership...

papillon
11-30-2012, 01:55 AM
No, it just means they've won the last 4 games provided they win this weekend).

Pappy

Shoe
11-30-2012, 02:09 AM
Ask a Raven fan if they would take the 3 (or 4, if they win this week) game win streak they currently enjoy... or the one-season, three game sweep (including the AFCC game) that we enjoyed over them a couple years back.

Eich
11-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Ask a Raven fan if they would take the 3 (or 4, if they win this week) game win streak they currently enjoy... or the one-season, three game sweep (including the AFCC game) that we enjoyed over them a couple years back.

Ask ourselves that and the answer is the same. We've been their super bowl since their inception and they've built their team specifically to target us. We set the standard in the division. We've kept them out of the super bowl more than once. And since Ben came along, we've had 3 super bowl appearances and 2 rings to their zippy.

It's a good rivalry to be sure. But they certainly don't own us. Both teams at full strength, I'll place my bets on the Steelers. With Charlie Brown at QB, all bets are off.

flippy
11-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Anyone mention Jim Harbaugh's a douche?

flippy
11-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Anyone mention Jim Harbaugh's a douche?

And John's such a douche too - I can't even remember his name. :)

I'm getting old :(

steelfin
11-30-2012, 09:38 AM
The short answer is yes....We can use injuries as an excuse all day long, but the only thing that really matters is who beats who...and who wins the division. They have owned us for the last two years....

We are no longer the king of the AFC North...

Sucks but it is the truth...Hopefully the Steelers can turn this trend around next year.

Sugar
11-30-2012, 10:25 AM
The short answer is yes....We can use injuries as an excuse all day long, but the only thing that really matters is who beats who...and who wins the division. They have owned us for the last two years....

Sucks but it is the truth...Hopefully the Steelers can turn this trend around next year.

Actually, I'd like to turn it around this year. Let's just say that we lose a hard fought game on Sunday with Charlie, but after that we get Ben and other injured players back that allow us to run the table. The best revenge would be beating them in their own crib in the playoffs on our way to #7.

A guy can dream can't he? ;)

flippy
11-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Actually, I'd like to turn it around this year. Let's just say that we lose a hard fought game on Sunday with Charlie, but after that we get Ben and other injured players back that allow us to run the table. The best revenge would be beating them in their own crib in the playoffs on our way to #7.

If I remember correctly, we beat the Ravens the last time we played them the year they ended up going on and winning the SuperBowl.

So if this is their SuperBowl, so be it. Ours is the last game of the year.

Let's go!!!

steelfin
11-30-2012, 10:28 AM

I like your scenario better than mine...Let's go with that....:smile:

Oviedo
11-30-2012, 11:04 AM

I would agree. The Ravens played without Suggs, Lewis out for the season, Ngata hurt and they are still 8-3. They seem to be able to get it done while we can't. Obviously losing your starting QB is a bigger deal then any of their losses, but as much as I hate to admit it they just seem to be more resilent than we are. IMO Ozzie Newsome is one of the best talent evaluators in the league and as good as Colbert is I think Newsome is better.

Every year I expect their defense to take a major step back but they seem to age more gracefully than we do. They seem to have the ability to adjust and be more flexible without their system falling apart.

Keyplay1
11-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Checking out what they are saying in their newspapers this week, not really much is going on. There was an article about how their ST are ranked by Football Outsiders as the best in the league. Another story took notice of maybe not seeing a lot of Wallace[I would have had him watching as early as game 4] might help their D. Then there was a mention of how they have only had 1TD in their last 10 Quarters. They were concerned about that. But they still managed to win their last 3 games and are according to Ray Rice "an angry 9-2"

That was about it. Surprisingly, nothing was said about the fact that if they do not win this game, they must win their final four games to insure at least the 2nd seed. They currently have a 1 game lead over NE and own the tie breaker. But, a slip up here could prove costly. Certainly no one wants to go to NE. No?

The 2 or 3 times I got curious about how the opponents were viewing the game, TS[the Steelers] managed to win those games. [Jets, Eagles, Skins] Not too many are expecting a win here but still? Hmm! Wouldn't it be fun to watch them choke:D away this alleged gimme?

btw: No! Not really, uh well maybe. After all, they did win the last game doing next to nothing. They only brought their punter and a couple of D guys and somehow still manged to win.

pittpete
11-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Yes, and its because we are all spoiled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Every year I expect their defense to take a major step back but they seem to age more gracefully than we do. They seem to have the ability to adjust and be more flexible without their system falling apart.

If you think the Ravens are playing better defense than we are this year, I don't know what to say. We are first in total defense, they are 24th. We are first in passing defense, they are 23rd. We are fifth in rush defense, they are 26th. Our problems right now have nothing whatsoever to do with defense.

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Anyone mention Jim/John Harbaugh's a douche?

That's a given. We should just call them the Massengill brothers. Let's give John a "not so fresh feeling" this Sunday.

flippy
11-30-2012, 01:45 PM
If you think the Ravens are playing better defense than we are this year, I don't know what to say. We are first in total defense, they are 24th. We are first in passing defense, they are 23rd. We are fifth in rush defense, they are 26th. Our problems right now have nothing whatsoever to do with defense.

The Ravens are 28th in TOP on Offense while we're 2nd. So their D is on the field 5:34 more a game than ours. That 26 spot ranking difference is bigger than the 24 spot difference in D rankings. So you could argue their D is doing a little better given the circumstance. It's probably a wash if their offense could control the ball.

They're giving up 19.9 pts vs us giving up 19.1. Not that much difference. Yardage doesn't tell the whole story.

feltdizz
11-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Ravens are plus 12 in TO's.... The D stinks though... nowhere near as good as previous years but they are doing enough to win. They are pretty much making that 1 play the changes the game, like the punt return vs us.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Ravens are the better team this year. 9-2 vs. 6-5, they're finding ways to win. They were the better team last year, too. Hopefully, we turn the tide...I'd love to see it begin this Sunday, but I'm so not optimistic about that...

fordfixer
11-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Do the Ravens own us?

No but they have beaten us like a rented mule for the last year or so.....

Slapstick
11-30-2012, 03:51 PM
The Ravens are 28th in TOP on Offense while we're 2nd. So their D is on the field 5:34 more a game than ours. That 26 spot ranking difference is bigger than the 24 spot difference in D rankings. So you could argue their D is doing a little better given the circumstance. It's probably a wash if their offense could control the ball.

They're giving up 19.9 pts vs us giving up 19.1. Not that much difference. Yardage doesn't tell the whole story.

Time of possession isn't necessarily a good correlation...

The Steelers defense isn't better because our offense hold the ball longer...

The Steelers defense is better because their 3rd down conversion % is better (34.3% vs 37.9%)

The Steelers defense is better because their yards per play is better (4.5 vs 5.2)

The Steelers defense is better because their scoring defense is better (19.1 ppg vs 19.9 ppg)

The Ravens have a better record because their scoring offense is much better than the Steelers (25.7 ppg vs 21.0 ppg)

The Steelers have improved over last year despite the last three games...but not enough...

Oviedo
11-30-2012, 04:08 PM

They won 8 games and we've won 6. They have lost 3 games compared to our 5. So much for rankings. I'll trade their rankings for ours and take the two more wins, what about you?

To quote the great Mike Tomlin, "we're not interested in style points." All that matters is the "W" and the Ravens are finding a way to get one and we aren't. I could care less about rankings.

BigRob
11-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Time of possession isn't necessarily a good correlation...

The Steelers defense isn't better because our offense hold the ball longer...

The Steelers defense is better because their 3rd down conversion % is better (34.3% vs 37.9%)

The Steelers defense is better because their yards per play is better (4.5 vs 5.2)

The Steelers defense is better because their scoring defense is better (19.1 ppg vs 19.9 ppg)

The Ravens have a better record because their scoring offense is much better than the Steelers (25.7 ppg vs 21.0 ppg)

The Steelers have improved over last year despite the last three games...but not enough...

Wow all this goes to show is there is not much difference at all between our defenses. The only real difference appears to be the amount of yards given up.

These are the only three stats that really matter:

The Ravens don't give up many points, 3rd downs, and their offense scores more than we do.

Bottom line....there is not a lot of meaningful difference between our defenses this year.

fezziwig
11-30-2012, 04:23 PM
I don't know if they own us the way we have owned them for so long. We lost three in a row and a safe bet would be, get ready for fourth in a row. When we were kicking their buts I don't remember them having so many injuries as we have. Last seasons opener , we stunk the place up and they owned us that particular day. The second game of the season and this past game of the this season we were having our typical Steelers Raven rival games but, they Ravens are now winning the close ones the way we used to.
Having said all that, let me see the Ravens continue to beat us and then move on to three Super Bowls as our Steelers had.
The Ravens have never been as good as our Steelers. They may beat us once in a while or a couple of seasons in a row but, they do it when we are down and they never go to the big dance afterwards.
We beat the Ravens and then we go to and win Super Bowls afterwards. To me, that's owning the Ravens.

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2012, 04:58 PM
They won 8 games and we've won 6. They have lost 3 games compared to our 5. So much for rankings. I'll trade their rankings for ours and take the two more wins, what about you?

To quote the great Mike Tomlin, "we're not interested in style points." All that matters is the "W" and the Ravens are finding a way to get one and we aren't. I could care less about rankings.

I agree with all of this. But you were specifically supporting their defense (which sucks this year compared to past years), while putting down ours by comparison (which isn't our problem right now whatsoever). The fact is that we are a better defensive team than they are (probably has a lot to do with all of the injuries they have on the defensive side of the ball) while they are a better offensive team than we are (probably has a lot to do with all of the injuries we have on the offensive side of the ball). They also have solid special teams play, while our special teams pretty much sucks except for Suisham (never thought I'd say that).

Eddie Spaghetti
11-30-2012, 07:23 PM
our defense has suffered quite a few injuries this season too ruthless, though I agree that they have been hit harder.

I see little evidence of the system "breaking down". Just very solid, if somewhat unspectacular play. The lack of sacks and TO's is worrisome going forward, but there is no doubt that the steelers are a far superior defensive unit than the ravens this season.

unlike the last couple of years, I don't see the ravens as a real threat to go very far in the playoffs this season. They are a very flawed football team and have been extremely fortunate in several of their wins. I would relish the chance to go into baltimore with a healthy ben and end their season. (again)

Steel Life
12-01-2012, 04:00 PM
They & their fans can talk all the crap they want but as Levon Flowers said so perfectly - they're "paper champions" - & even the Raven's players know it - it don't mean a thing if you don't have a ring.

If the shoe was on the other foot you know they & their fans would point out that they weren't at full-strength - especially with our Franchise QB out & that the record I would point to - whats the record when Ben plays? And again, they know thats the difference. In the end, all that matters is getting into the playoffs, & despite the difference in record this year, there's NOTHING they have outside of Rice & Ngata that I'd want here on the Steelers...

lloydroid
12-01-2012, 04:46 PM
If they can beat us by 2 touchdowns 4 times in a row with our starters healthy then I would say they own us. With the exception of the first game of the year last year it has been a field goal that won it. That is not owning anyone.

Let's not forget that we have still won every most important (see play offs) game to this point. They have never beat us to go on to the Super Bowl. We have done that to them. I'd say let's now use the "own us" label quite yet. Yea, if they sweep us this year, good for them. But it was facing our 2nd and 3rd string QB so that does lessen the deal.

Slapstick
12-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Bump.

And, no.

hawaiiansteel
12-03-2012, 01:59 AM
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/1300/bertd.png

Eich
12-03-2012, 09:46 AM
NO. And I'm looking forward to the opportunity to knock them out of the playoffs.

Jooser
12-03-2012, 09:59 AM
LMFAO Hawaiiansteel! That's one for the ages! Freaking love it. WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

fezziwig
12-03-2012, 10:05 AM
all is right in the universe once gain. Do you guys rememeber the start of the Ravens/Steeler games and how they would beat us at home and we would beat them at their stadium ?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Yes, they own us.

Put these two teams on a neutral field together with all of the players healthy and Steelers win 8 out of 10 times.

fezziwig
12-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Yes, they own us. :nono I don't agree with this.

Put these two teams on a neutral field together with all of the players healthy and Steelers win 8 out of 10 times.

I agree we would win 8 out of 10 times.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-03-2012, 08:27 PM
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/1300/bertd.png
Is it me, or does that stat line get a "Fail" - doesn't have the interceptions listed for the QBs ... I can understand not listing the passing rating, but isn't the pics a standard stat line item for a QB?

hawaiiansteel
12-03-2012, 08:43 PM
LMFAO Hawaiiansteel! That's one for the ages! Freaking love it. WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

thanks! :Cheers

NJ-STEELER
12-03-2012, 10:56 PM
didnt we win 2 out of 3 the year before their little 'streak'...including kncoking them out of the playoffs.

and didnt we beat them 3 times in route to superbowl 43.

takes more then a 3 game stretch to determine something like that IMO