PDA

View Full Version : Maurkice Pouncey could move to guard

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Maurkice Pouncey could move to guard
Posted by Darin Gantt on November 29, 2012, 8:41 AM EST

If you put any stock in fan voting for the Pro Bowl (be careful), Maurkice Pouncey is the best center in the AFC.

But he might be starting at guard for the Steelers this weekend, because of all their injuries on the offensive line.

“Whatever is best for the team,” Pouncey said, via Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Pouncey’s move is pending the condition of left guard Willie Colon, who didn’t practice Wednesday with a sore knee. Coupled with Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert, it’s a group as banged up as the quarterbacks they protect.

If he does slide outside, Doug Legursky would snap, after starting at guard last week. But Legursky admits he’s better in the middle.

“I think it is no secret around the league or around this locker room that I am a better center than I am a guard,” Legursky said. “I know personally that I am more natural there.”

But Pouncey hasn’t played guard since his freshman year in college, when he had 11 starts before moving to center for his final two years in school.

“I think he would be very efficient at left guard if he is plugged in,” right guard Ramon Foster said. “What is going to be the toughest adjustment for him is using his hands and how to set guys. At guard, you have more one-on-ones and are by yourself. It will be something he will have to get used to.”

Coupled with rookie Kelvin Beachum at right tackle, and they have the potential for three different starters from a week ago, which may be enough to keep quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on the sidelines until he’s fully healed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/29/maurkice-pouncey-could-move-to-guard/

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Pouncey works at guard in practice
Posted by Teresa Varley on November 28, 2012 – 10:19 pm

There could be a major change on the Steelers’ offensive line on Sunday against the Ravens after center Maurkice Pouncey worked at left guard in practice, while Willie Colon sat out still bothered by his knee.

“If Willie Colon doesn’t play, I will play guard,” said Pouncey, who hasn’t practiced at the position since training camp of his rookie season. “I am glad Coach (Mike) Tomlin put us in pads today. It gave me the opportunity to go out there and get my technique down and feel the physicality of it. I got to see the different looks at guard than I do at center.”

There has been a rash of injuries on the line recently, including tackle Mike Adams who already has been ruled out this week. Pouncey knows if one man goes down, others have to just step up their game.

“We have some injuries and it’s different but we have to keep fighting,” said Pouncey. “We have to be professional about it. We have to get better in practice.”

If Pouncey were to move to guard, Doug Legursky would start at center.

“I think it is no secret around the league or around this locker room that I am a better center than I am a guard,” said Legursky. “I know personally that I am more natural there.”

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/11/28/pouncey-works-at-guard-in-practice/

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Well, Bronko is absolutely right...he is definitely a better center than a guard...no question about that.

If Colon can't go, and they make this Pouncey-Legs switch, that would give us:

Starks-Pouncey-Legursky-Foster-Beachum

Adams has already been ruled out, and I am on record as preferring to move Foster to RT and play DeCastro at RG rather than playing Beachum at RT. I would prefer this lineup instead:

Starks-Pouncey-Legursky-DeCastro-Foster

flippy
11-29-2012, 11:31 AM

This is my preferred lineup too. Glad Mikey's starting to listen to the crap I've been spewing about Bronko at C and Pouncey at LG. With DD back, he's gonna have to consider Foster is more suited to play T.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-29-2012, 11:50 AM

That gives us exactly one Olinemen playing at the same position from one week to the next. Man, is that a tough way to go, but anything that keeps Beachum off the field.

feltdizz
11-29-2012, 11:52 AM
this would be a great move... Legs is a much better C than Guard. This may be a stretch but I don't see much of a difference when Legs is at center and Pouncey is at center.

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2012, 11:53 AM
That gives us exactly one Olinemen playing at the same position from one week to the next. Man, is that a tough way to go, but anything that keeps Beachum off the field.

And that one guy who would be in the same position (Starks) didn't practice yesterday either. Imagine if Starks can't go either. Then what? Foster-Pouncey-Legursky-DeCastro-Beachum? Yikes.

Roethlisberger limited, Brown and Polamalu practice fully
Posted by Josh Alper on November 28, 2012, 5:25 PM EST

Let this week’s round of speculation about Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s status begin.

Roethlisberger was a limited participant at practice for the Steelers on Wednesday, a day after coach Mike Tomlin said that he was leaving the door open for the quarterback’s return against the Ravens this week. Roethlisberger’s return was still considered unlikely at that time, but Tomlin also said that Roethlisberger would have to show him he’s capable of playing before he can return. Practicing is as good a way as any to accomplish that.

If Roethlisberger does play, it looks like he’ll have wide receiver Antonio Brown running out under his passes. Brown practiced fully for the Steelers on Wednesday, which sets him on the track toward playing against Baltimore. Safety Troy Polamalu also practiced fully after returning to the field in limited fashion last Friday.

The news wasn’t all good on the injury front. Tackle Mike Adams, guard Willie Colon, tackle Max Starks, linebacker LaMarr Woodley and quarterback Byron Leftwich all missed practice for the Steelers. With all of the injuries on the offensive line, the Steelers are getting first-round pick David DeCastro back at the right time.

Baltimore was without tight end Ed Dickson, wide receiver Jacoby Jones and linebacker Dannell Ellerbee on Wednesday while wide receiver Torrey Smith and safeties Ed Reed and Bernard Pollard were limited.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/28/roethlisberger-limited-brown-and-polamalu-practice-fully/

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-29-2012, 12:00 PM
And that one guy who would be in the same position (Starks) didn't practice yesterday either. Imagine if Starks can't go either. Then what? Foster-Pouncey-Legursky-DeCastro-Beachum? Yikes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/28/roethlisberger-limited-brown-and-polamalu-practice-fully/

I hear ya Ruthless, but I'm hoping that this is more of a veteran Wednesday off than it is a serious concern......keep your fingers crossed.

toddjammin
11-29-2012, 01:17 PM
937 the fan said that Starks just had a vet day off and
Should return to practice today. I also predict Decastro
will start at RG this week when all is said and done

Mister Pittsburgh
11-29-2012, 01:22 PM
With that projected OL Dwyer could run for 100+. He needs to run for 100+.

NW Steeler
11-29-2012, 01:28 PM
We certainly got served a sh!t sandwich this year as far as injuries go. That happens from time to time, I dont remember the last time it was this bad though. 4 games ago we were getting healthy, beat the Giants and looked like a solid SB contender. Now, well, we have all seen what has transpired the last 3 weeks.

Shoe
11-29-2012, 01:36 PM
937 the fan said that Starks just had a vet day off and
Should return to practice today. I also predict Decastro
will start at RG this week when all is said and done

DeCastro is ready to play? If that is the case, I 2nd the lineup suggested above (where Foster plays RT).

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2012, 01:45 PM
DeCastro was added to the 53 man roster after 1 week of practice. If he wasn't ready, we could have had him for 3 weeks of practice before having to make a roster move to add him to the active roster. That suggests to me that he should be ready now.

ikestops85
11-29-2012, 02:41 PM
With that projected OL Dwyer could run for 100+. He needs to run for 100+.

As long as the ball goes with him for the 100+ yards I have no problem. ;)

ramblinjim
11-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Our week 14 OL is going to be this: Ruthless, RamblinJim, LollyDroid, Shawn, Angry Asian

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Our 14th game is against the Cowboys. If I'm playing left tackle, I might need my left guard to help me double-team DeMarcus Ware on inside stunts, ramblinjim...you got that? I hope I don't get distracted watching Jerry's Jumbotron when I am supposed to be blocking someone...;)

SidSmythe
11-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Our week 14 OL is going to be this: Ruthless, RamblinJim, LollyDroid, Shawn, Angry Asian

Do I get the nod at QB???

flippy
11-29-2012, 04:29 PM

Unfortunately the Ravens singed you off the PS to their 53 man roster to keep you from playing QB for the Steelers.

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2012, 04:38 PM

If you have a death wish...:D

hawaiiansteel
11-29-2012, 05:13 PM

chemistry is very important on an OL, not sure how well Lloyd and Shawn will play positioned right next to each other...

phillyesq
11-29-2012, 06:11 PM

This would be my preference as well. I worry about Foster at RT, but don't think he could be worse than Beachum, and I'd much rather have DD playing.

hawaiiansteel
11-29-2012, 06:21 PM
posted by Dale Lolley

Wednesday news, notes

Mike Tomlin shook up his depth chart on Tuesday, and then proceeded to shake things up Wednesday on his offensive line.

With Mike Adams, Willie Colon and Max Starks all sitting out Wednesday, the Steelers moved Maurkice Pouncey to left guard, Ramon Foster to right tackle and Kelvin Beachum to left tackle.

Doug Legursky was at center, while rookie David DeCastro was next up at right guard.

But just because the Steelers made these moves on Wednesday does not mean that will be the starting line Sunday in Baltimore.

In fact, I highly doubt that it will be.

This is a shell game Tomlin is playing with the Ravens, hoping they will take their eye off the ball enough to allow the Steelers to come away with a win.

Chances are, when the Steelers line up Sunday, Starks will be at LT, Colon at LG, Pouncey at C, Foster at RG and Beachum at RT.

But if there's an injury during the game, particularly to Colon, Pouncey could make the move to guard.

And if Beachum is overmatched at RT making his first career start, Foster could move over.

But that is not the plan right now.

@ Ben Roethlisberger did some light throwing Wednesday as he was limited in practice. He's getting better, but I'd be surprised if he plays this weekend.

@ Antonio Brown and Troy Polamalu both looked good Wednesday, a big plus for the Steelers.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2012/11/wednesday-news-notes_28.html

Chadman
11-29-2012, 06:31 PM

Chadman will play FB...

hawaiiansteel
11-29-2012, 06:52 PM

you want to start Angry Asian at RT?

http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/4c7c2cef7f8b9a5569fe0800-400-300/dont-let-financial-disaster-put-you-in-a-panic-mode.jpg

fezziwig
11-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Is Beachum that bad ?

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Is Beachum that bad ?

Well, he's a 7th round guard that we are using at tackle, instead of playing our 1st round guard at guard. Sure, he played tackle in college, but he was drafted to be a guard (has a guard's body at 6'3" 303 lbs.).

Doesn't make much sense to me, considering that Foster played well at RT when they tried him there a few months ago (Foster also played tackle in college, and has more of a tackle's body than Beachum at 6'6" 325 lbs.).

flippy
11-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Well, he's a 7th round guard that we are using at tackle, instead of playing our 1st round guard at guard. Sure, he played tackle in college, but he was drafted to be a guard (has a guard's body at 6'3" 303 lbs.).

Doesn't make much sense to me, considering that Foster played well at RT when they tried him there a few months ago (Foster also played tackle in college, and has more of a tackle's body than Beachum at 6'6" 325 lbs.).

I think Foster might be taller than Max. He's definitely got a T body. I really don't get how a guy his height can get real leverage on some of the bigger DTs. And then we completely waste his length at G.

Does anyone remember, did he end up at G out of necessity? I didn't realize his size until I saw him up close from end zone seats. It's not so noticeable on tv, but up close, he's gotta be one of the biggest Gs in the league. And it's no wonder he's got some of the issues he's got blocking.

pittpete
11-29-2012, 10:36 PM
They were talking about this today on Sirius NFL radio.
Legursky was saying he was much better playing center.
They mentioned his short arms as a reason hes more suited for center.

On the other hand, wouldnt it make more sense if Colon can play, to put him back at RT, leave Ramon at RG with Pouncey at LG?

birtikidis
11-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Moving pouncey to guard would be retarded.

birtikidis
11-29-2012, 10:44 PM
What would make sense is keeping the blindside of the line consistently the same. Legs has been there for two years.

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2012, 01:59 AM
They were talking about this today on Sirius NFL radio.
Legursky was saying he was much better playing center.
They mentioned his short arms as a reason hes more suited for center.

On the other hand, wouldnt it make more sense if Colon can play, to put him back at RT, leave Ramon at RG with Pouncey at LG?

If Colon can play, then they will just leave Pouncey at center. I still think the smartest replacement plan for Adams at this point would be to slide Foster to RT and insert DeCastro at RG. Keep guys like Beachum and Malecki solely as "in case of emergency" options.

phillyesq
11-30-2012, 10:20 AM
If Colon can play, then they will just leave Pouncey at center. I still think the smartest replacement plan for Adams at this point would be to slide Foster to RT and insert DeCastro at RG. Keep guys like Beachum and Malecki solely as "in case of emergency" options.

Agree completely. I hope this is a smoke screen and that we'll see DD and Foster starting.

As for the Legs/Pouncey switch, having seen Ngata absolutely own Legursky previously, I get it.

Oviedo
11-30-2012, 11:14 AM

Yes to this. Moving Pouncey to LG with a couple days of practice is not the recipe for success.

fezziwig
11-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Moving pouncey to guard would be retarded.

This has to be the most intelligent comment I've read on this site in months.

winwithd
11-30-2012, 07:25 PM
If we move Maurkice to guard, it prepares the way for Adams, Pouncey, Pouncey, DeCastro, Foster or someone else in a couple years. By then we could be free of Deebo, Hampton, Ike, Foote, Colon, and a couple other contracts to pay for him.

Captain Lemming
11-30-2012, 08:43 PM
If we move Maurkice to guard, it prepares the way for Adams, Pouncey, Pouncey, DeCastro, Foster or someone else in a couple years. By then we could be free of Deebo, Hampton, Ike, Foote, Colon, and a couple other contracts to pay for him.

Dream on......more likely to see Pouncey times two in Miami if a twin reunion is desired ....Florida is home

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2012, 11:58 PM
We also just added Jake Long's little brother Joe to our practice squad. If Joe pans out, we can use their brothers in an effort to poach both of the Dolphins best o-linemen. We could have a Long-Pouncey-Pouncey-DeCastro-Long o-line. :p

birtikidis
12-01-2012, 09:15 AM
This has to be the most intelligent comment I've read on this site in months.
It's accurate

SidSmythe
12-01-2012, 09:18 AM
We also just added Jake Long's little brother Joe to our practice squad. If Joe pans out, we can use their brothers in an effort to poach both of the Dolphins best o-linemen. We could have a Long-Pouncey-Pouncey-DeCastro-Long o-line.

that would present a serious cap problem. maybe we can get them CHEAP!! :p

SS Laser
12-01-2012, 08:50 PM
We also just added Jake Long's little brother Joe to our practice squad. If Joe pans out, we can use their brothers in an effort to poach both of the Dolphins best o-linemen. We could have a Long-Pouncey-Pouncey-DeCastro-Long o-line. :p

With that O-line Ben could play till 50! If Joe can play.:cool: