PDA

View Full Version : Build your best possible roster with one (and only one) player from each NFL team

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Steeler players not included. You'll be making a 31 man team. In addition to the usual starting 11 on both sides of the ball, I'll give you 2 extra players on offense and defense, plus 5 dedicated special teamers.

On offense, you'll choose 1 QB, 2 RB's, 1 FB, 3 WR's, 1 TE, 2 OT's, 2 OG's, and 1 C. That's 13 guys.

On defense, you'll choose 2 DE's, 2 DT's, 2 OLB's, 2 ILB's, 1 SS, 1 FS, and 3 CB. That's also 13 guys.

On special teams, you'll choose 1 K, 1 P, 1 KR, 1 PR, and 1 LS. Combined with the other 26, that makes 31.

Remember, you get one and only one player from each NFL team (Steelers excluded). This is an exercise in building a team from the ground up, so take age into account. You might love Peyton Manning and Ed Reed, but how much longer will those guys be around? Pick a team that you think should be able to dominate now as well as in the future.

Here is my team:

QB Aaron Rodgers, GB
RB Adrian Peterson, MIN
RB Lesean McCoy, PHI
FB Marcel Reece, OAK
WR Calvin Johnson, DET
WR A.J. Green, CIN
WR Julio Jones, ATL
TE Rob Gronkowski, NE
OT Jake Long, MIA
OT Joe Thomas, CLE
OG Carl Nicks, TB
OG Jahri Evans, NO
C Ryan Kalil, CAR

DE J.J. Watt, HOU
DE Jason Pierre-Paul, NYG
DT Haloti Ngata, BAL
DT Marcel Dareus, BUF
OLB Von Miller, DEN
OLB Ryan Kerrigan, WAS
ILB Patrick Willis, SF
ILB James Laurinaitis, STL
SS Eric Berry, KC
FS Earl Thomas, SEA
CB Darrelle Revis, NYJ
CB Patrick Peterson, ARZ
CB Morris Claiborne, DAL

K Rob Bironas, TEN
P Mike Scifres, SD
KR Devin Hester, CHI
PR T.Y. Hilton, IND
LS Jeremy Cain, JAX

Some swaps I considered: Flip-flopping the quarterbacks and punt returners (of all things) between the Packers and Colts (considered Andrew Luck as my QB with Randall Cobb as my PR instead of Rodgers and Hilton), but I think Rodgers should have plenty of years left in him and he has already shown that he has what it takes to win a championship (for how impressive Luck has been so far, we haven't seen him in the playoffs yet). I also thought about swapping inside linebackers for nickel corners between the Cowboys and Rams (considered Sean Lee as a ILB and Janorris Jenkins as a CB instead of Laurinaitis and Claiborne). I also worried a bit about the short shelf life of RB's, replacing Adrian Peterson with Doug Martin (which would allow me to use my Viking slot on Percy Harvin as a kick returner), but after seeing Peterson come back from a late season ACL tear to be the best RB in football once again, I'm convinced he's a cyborg of some kind. Anyway, have at it, folks! I challenge you all to build a better roster than mine!

tiproast
11-29-2012, 01:33 AM
Great thread concept, and excellent personnel selection.

But I'd rather have two TEs on offense and not carry a fullback (that's not meant to denigrate Reece, who I think is a fine player).

msp26505
11-29-2012, 07:18 AM
Great thread concept, and excellent personnel selection.

But I'd rather have two TEs on offense and not carry a fullback (that's not meant to denigrate Reece, who I think is a fine player).

So tiproast is actually Bruce Arians. It all makes sense now.

flippy
11-29-2012, 10:15 AM
I tried going as young as I could, then it got challenging and I had to mix in a couple middle age players. If anyone else tries to do this, I'd suggest starting with OLine. I did them last and it made it a bit of a challenge. I decided to move Bulaga to G and I cheated and put in Decastro.

QB RGIII - Was
RB Doug Martin - Tam
RB Richardson - Cle
WR - Brandon Marshall - Chi
WR - Julio Jones - Atl
TE - Gronk - NE
TE - Graham - NO
OT - Tyron Smith - Dal
OT - Kalil - Min
OG - Bulaga - GB
OG - DD - Pit
C - Mike Pouncey - Mia

DE - JJ Watt - Hou
DE - JPP - NYG
DT - Suh - Det
DT - Atkins - Cin
OLB - Von Miller - Den
OLB - Aldon Smith - SF
ILB - Laurinaitis - STL
ILB - Posluszny - Jac
SS - Berry - KC
FS - Thomas - Sea
CB - Revis - NYJ
CB - Patrick Peterson - AZ

K - Janikowski - Oak
P - Kern - Ten
KR/PR - Jacoby Jones - Balt

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Okay, on the basis of tiproast's suggestion that we allow 2 TE's in lieu of a FB (shocked that a New England fan would want 2 TE's), and the fact that flippy already has 2 TE's on his roster, I suppose I will allow that.

Solid effort overall, flip...however, I simply cannot allow any Steelers (that was the point of the exercise...determining players from other teams' rosters that you would love to have on your team), so DeCastro must be removed and replaced. You did not use anyone from the Eagles, Panthers, Bills, Colts, and Chargers, so you have 5 more selections to make. Pick a guard from one of these teams instead to replace DeCastro. And then from the 4 remaining squad in that list, you can add another WR, another CB, another return man (make Jacoby Jones the kick returner or punt returner, not both), and then for the last remaining team, just list their current long snapper. Done.

Tiproast, if you want to submit a roster with one player from every team except New England, have at it!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-29-2012, 11:58 AM
So tiproast is actually Bruce Arians. It all makes sense now.

It explains why the Patriots were able to call out Steeler playcalls at the LOS. Brucey was the WR coach at the time. He gave the information to the hoodie in order to undermine Wiz. He was then able to promote to OC when Wiz left.

flippy
11-29-2012, 11:59 AM
I was having a hard time keeping track of the teams remaining. I'll update when I get some time. And I'll remove DD.

I figured I'd rather add another TE than a WR and then I dropped my FB because I thought he's not gonna get much playing time in this all star lineup.

I figured JJ could return both since he returned both for TDs the last 2 weeks. And I have no idea about the LS. I barely pay attention to our own.

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Ourlads has good updated depth charts for each team (so you can find out, for example, who a team's long snapper is).

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/

8467thekraken
11-29-2012, 10:21 PM
QB-Andrew Luck-Colts
2RB-Trent Richardson-Browns,CJ Spiller-Bills
1FB-John Kuhn-Packers(hehheh)
3WR-AJ Green-Bengals,Megatron,Julio Jones-Falcons
1TE-Gronkowski-Patriots
2OT-Jake Long-Miami,Gabe Carimi-Bears
2G-Davin Joseph-Buccs,Corey Lichtensteiger-Redskins
1C-Nick Mangold-Jets

2DE-JJ Watt-Texans,Justin Tuck-Giants
2DT-Haloti Ngata,Antonio Garay-Chargers
2ILB-Patrick Willis-49ers,James Laurenitis-Rams
2OLB-Von Miller-Broncos,O'Brien Schofield-Cardinals
1SS-Eric Berry-Chiefs
1FS-Earl Thomas-Seahawks
3CB-Morris Claiborne-Cowboys,Shawntae Spencer-Raiders,Patrick Robinson-Saints

1K-Rob Bironas-Titans
1P-Bryan Anger-Jaguars
1KR-Percy Harvin-Vikings
1PR-Desean Jackson-Eagles
1LS-JJ Hansen-Panthers

cool.

tiproast
11-30-2012, 02:02 AM
Offense

Player
Team

QB

Robert Griffin III
Redskins

RB

Trent Richardson
Browns

RB

Ray Rice
Ravens

WR

A. J. Green
Bengals

WR

Julio Jones
Falcons

WR

Randall Cobb
Packers

TE

Jimmy Graham
Saints

TE

Jared Cook
Titans

LT

Jake Long
Dolphins

LG

Carl Nicks
Buccaneers

C

Maurkice Pouncey
Steelers

RG

Louis Vasquez
Chargers

RT

Todd Herremans
Eagles

Defense

DE

Jason Pierre-Paul
Giants

DE

J.J. Watt
Texans

DT

Nick Fairley
Lions

DT

Marcel Dareus
Bills

ILB

Luke Keuchley
Panthers

ILB

Daryl Washington
Cardinals

OLB

Aldon Smith
49ers

OLB

Von Miller
Broncos

CB

Darrelle Revis
Jets

CB

Morris Claiborne
Cowboys

CB

Richard Sherman
Seahawks

SS

Eric Berry
Chiefs

FS

Tyvon Branch
Raiders

Special Teams

Kicker

Greg Zuerlien
Rams

Punter

Brain Anger
Jaguars

K Returner

T.Y. Hilton
Colts

P Returner

Devin Hester
Bears

Long Snapper

Cullen Loeffler
Vikings

Average Age

That was a difficult exercise. As noted by previous posters, even when you try to keep the age down, it creeps up. I didn't want to have anyone over 30, but it just didn't work out for me.

Also, I'm not all that pleased with my offensive line. But since one team isn't represented by a player, I'll select the Patriots coaching staff, and have Dante Scarnecchia solidify the o-line.

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2012, 02:10 AM
Interesting roster, kraken. Nice rookie QB-RB combo in Luck & Trent, plus Spiller provides you with another dimension out of the backfield. I see that you provided your QB with the same elite weapons in the passing game as I did, but you also added a couple of return men in Harvin and DJax who would also help out as weapons on offense as well. Well done.

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2012, 02:19 AM
I like your roster as well, tiproast. Nice looking pair of up-and-coming ILB's in Kuechley and Washington. I also like the Sherman pick at corner from Seattle. He may be the best in the biz right now (with guys like Revis and Webb on I.R.), at least when he's not suspended for taking Adderall that magically appeared in a teammate's water bottle, of course. And for the first guy not to take Calvin Johnson, it is interesting that you went DT for the Lions instead and took Fairley over Suh...I like it. Just curious...any other Steeler players tempt you besides Pouncey?

tiproast
11-30-2012, 02:26 AM
Well, I try not to be critical of the Steelers when posting on this board, but when I looked at the overall roster I didn't see a lot of young talent. If I hadn't taken Pouncey, I probably would have gone with Antonio Brown at WR, or maybe used him as a KR or PR.

The Steelers need a couple of good solid drafts, I think. And maybe get a little bit luckier in avoiding injuries to key players next year.

Chadman
11-30-2012, 06:37 AM
QB Alex Smith SanFrancisco
RB1 Kevin Smith Detroit
RB2 Alfonso Smith Arizona
WR1 Steve Smith Carolina
WR2 Torrey Smith Baltimore
WR3 Steve Smith St Louis
TE1 Alex Smith Cleveland
TE2 Lee Smith Buffalo
LT Tyron Smith Dallas
LG Jason Smith New York Jets
C Wade Smith Houston
RG Willie Smith Oakland
RT Andre Smith Cincinnatti

LE Will Smith New Orleans
DT1 Shaun Smith Kansas City
DT2 D'Anthony Smith Jacksonville
RE Chandler Jones New England
OLB1 Malcolm Smith Seattle
MLB1 DJ Williams Denver
MLB2 Jacquan Williams New York Giants
OLB2 Demorrio Williams San Diego
CB1 Sean Smith Miami
CB2 Jimmy Smith Baltimore
CB3 Tramon Williams Green Bay
FS Madieu Williams Washington
SS Harrison Smith Minnesota

K Rob Bironas Tennessee
P Pat McAfee Indianapolis
LS Jon Dorenbus Philadelphia
KR Antone Smith Atlanta
PR Michael Smith Tampa Bay

The Smith's, Jones & Williams Team

8467thekraken
11-30-2012, 08:20 AM
'ppreciate that. What I thought was gonna be a 20 minute excercise turned into a one hour challenge. Good stuff.

Tried to make the offense/ST as dynamic as possible while structureing the defensive front seven into a flexible 3-4/4-3 unit.

Very cool thread.

SidSmythe
11-30-2012, 08:32 AM
RB1 Kevin Smith Detroit
WR1 Steve Smith Carolina
WR3 Steve Smith St Louis
TE1 Alex Smith Cleveland
TE2 Lee Smith Buffalo
LT Tyron Smith Dallas
C Wade Smith Houston
RG Willie Smith Oakland

MLB1 DJ Williams Denver
CB1 Sean Smith Miami

K Rob Bironas Tennessee
KR Antone Smith Atlanta

:)
you forgot SidSmythe (Smith)

flippy
11-30-2012, 09:34 AM
We should turn this into an all NFL draft. 32 posters. You can pick one player from each team. We effectively redistribute players and try to make everyone equal.

And we see if Chadman can get all the Smiths that way?

phillyesq
11-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Well, I try not to be critical of the Steelers when posting on this board, but when I looked at the overall roster I didn't see a lot of young talent. If I hadn't taken Pouncey, I probably would have gone with Antonio Brown at WR, or maybe used him as a KR or PR.

The Steelers need a couple of good solid drafts, I think. And maybe get a little bit luckier in avoiding injuries to key players next year.

Certainly a fair comment and nice to see an outside perspective. Hopefully DeCastro getting on the field will change that analysis a bit going forward.

flippy
11-30-2012, 10:36 AM

Our teams aren't that different in that regard. Both teams have some young players with promise but quite frankly the jury's still out on most.

I'd bet everyone of us picks Gronk. And beyond that, everyone else would be questionable/debatable.

tiproast
11-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Our teams aren't that different in that regard. Both teams have some young players with promise but quite frankly the jury's still out on most.

I'd bet everyone of us picks Gronk. And beyond that, everyone else would be questionable/debatable.

Possibly, but some might choose Chandler Jones or Donte Hightower. On offense, only Solder would be a candidate for the youth movement. The 2012 draft was mostly defense. My guess is that 2013 will feature offense, but unlike many past years, the Pats don't have a lot of picks in the upcoming draft (unless someone comes along and offers us two #2s for Ryan Mallet :D ).

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Possibly, but some might choose Chandler Jones or Donte Hightower. On offense, only Solder would be a candidate for the youth movement. The 2012 draft was mostly defense. My guess is that 2013 will feature offense, but unlike many past years, the Pats don't have a lot of picks in the upcoming draft (unless someone comes along and offers us two #2s for Ryan Mallet :D ).

We can offer you Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch for Mallett right now (that's a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder for your 3rd rounder ;)).

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2012, 01:30 PM
RB1 Kevin Smith Detroit
WR1 Steve Smith Carolina
WR3 Steve Smith St Louis
TE1 Alex Smith Cleveland
TE2 Lee Smith Buffalo
LT Tyron Smith Dallas
C Wade Smith Houston
RG Willie Smith Oakland

MLB1 DJ Williams Denver
CB1 Sean Smith Miami

K Rob Bironas Tennessee
KR Antone Smith Atlanta

I applaud the All-Smith offense. However, there are just as many McAfees and Dorenbuses on your team as there are Joneses, so Jones shouldn't get billing ahead of Williams when naming your team. Next time, try for a true ChadTeam...all Chads. I might be able to let a few Charles/Chuck/Charlie/Chas/Chandler/Chip types to slip in there as well.

flippy
11-30-2012, 01:34 PM

Those young guys are a bit unknowns at this point. My next choice after Gronk would be Hernandez but when I was looking for players at other positions that wasn't helping. Solder would have been my 3rd choice. Maybe Mayo since he's more of a known commodity.

On the Steelers, I'd have gone with David Decastro first which I did, then Pouncey. Next would probably be Jason Worilds or Cameron Heyward because they're still so young and as a Steeler fan, they're the next guys up that we've gotta pin some hope on when our old guys retire.

We're both in a transition period. Our window is longer because we have a younger QB. Although with the way he plays, you may have the QB with more years ahead of him. Gawd I hope not.

flippy
11-30-2012, 01:35 PM
I applaud the All-Smith offense. However, there are just as many McAfees and Dorenbuses on your team as there are Joneses, so Jones shouldn't get billing ahead of Williams when naming your team. Next time, try for a true ChadTeam...all Chads. I might be able to let a few Charles/Chuck/Charlie/Chas/Chandler/Chip types to slip in there as well.

Yeah, but I don't want to see Chad Brown coming out of retirement to make a cameo. ;)

tiproast
11-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Those young guys are a bit unknowns at this point. My next choice after Gronk would be Hernandez but when I was looking for players at other positions that wasn't helping. Solder would have been my 3rd choice. Maybe Mayo since he's more of a known commodity.

On the Steelers, I'd have gone with David Decastro first which I did, then Pouncey. Next would probably be Jason Worilds or Cameron Heyward because they're still so young and as a Steeler fan, they're the next guys up that we've gotta pin some hope on when our old guys retire.

We're both in a transition period. Our window is longer because we have a younger QB. Although with the way he plays, you may have the QB with more years ahead of him. Gawd I hope not.
The Steelers approach to working players into the rotation makes it difficult for me to judge how good Heyward is - I don't see him as much as you guys do (I live on the West Coast and don't catch too many Steelers games). Same with Worlids. But knowing the Steelers reputation for coaching guys up, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned out to be strong performers.

Brady has said he wants to play into his 40s - as long as he keeps improving every year we Pats fans are OK with that. He is starting to get pretty good at keeping the number of interceptions under control. :D

Chadman
12-01-2012, 11:09 AM
If the premise of this thread was altered so that multiple players could be chosen from any single team, Chadman's team of Smith's is quite doable.

QB1 Alex Smith QB2 Brad Smith (WR/KR) QB3 Rusty Smith

RB1 Kevin Smith RB2 Alfonso Smith RB3 Michael Smith (PR) RB4 Antone Smith

TE1 Alex Smith TE2 Lee Smith TE3 Hayden Smith

WR1 Steve Smith WR2 Torrey Smith WR3 Steve Smith WR4 Brad Smith (QB2/KR)

LT1 Tyron Smith LT2 Willie Smith

LG1 Jason Smith LG2 Evan Deitrich-Smith

C Wade Smith

RG Shelley Smith RG2 Evan Deitrich-Smith

RT1 Andre Smith RT2 Willie Smith

RE1 Will Smith RE2 Scott Smith

DT1 D'Anthony Smith DT3 Shaun Smith

DT2 Justin Smith DT3 Shaun Smith

LE1 Antonio Smith LE2 Jacquies Smith

OLB1 Aldon Smith OLB3 Brian Smith

ILB1 DJ Smith ILB2 Derrel Smith

OLB2 Darryl Smith OLB4 Malcolm Smith

CB1 Jimmy Smith

CB2 Sean Smith

CB3 Alphonso Smith

CB4 Lionel Smith

FS1 Eric Smith

SS1 Harrison Smith

FS2 Damon Cromartie-Smith

SS2 Reggie Smith

The Smith's are woefully short in the kicking department. Probably have to talk Hudson Smith out of retirement & find a former soccer player called Smith to be the PK.

All in all, not the worst collection of footballers ever seen..

RuthlessBurgher
12-01-2012, 02:44 PM
When debuting Chadman's squad, the Rooney family in a nod to their Irish heritage, will replace the giant Heinz ketchup bottles on the jumbotron with two huge bottles of this instead:

http://cdn.thebeercritic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/smithwicks.jpghttp://cdn.thebeercritic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/smithwicks.jpg

AkronSteel
12-09-2012, 12:54 AM
I'll give this a shot because it looks like fun!! I will probably build a team with kids and vets because I would want a team that could compete right away!! So here we go!

Offense:

QB: Robert Griffin III / Washington
RB: Jamaal Charles / Kansas City
WR: Julio Jones / Atlanta
WR: Calvin Johnson / Detroit
WR: Victor Cruz / New York Giants
TE: Jimmy Graham / New Orleans
LT: Matt Kalil / Minnesota
LG: Mike Pouncey / Miami
C: Nick Mangold / New York Jets
RG: Marshall Yanda / Baltimore
RT: Andre Smith / Cincinnati

Defense:

LE: JJ Watt / Houston
DT: Kyle Williams / Buffalo
DT: Gerald McCoy / Tampa Bay
RE: Aldon Smith / San Francisco
OLB: Von Miller / Denver
MLB: Luke Kuechley / Carolina
OLB: Clay Matthews / Green Bay
CB: Joe Haden / Cleveland
CB: Patrick Peterson / Arizona
SS: Eric Berry / Kansas City
FS: Earl Thomas / Seattle

K: Sebastian Janikowski / Oakland
P: Mike Scifres / San Diego

RB: Matt Forte / Chicago
WR: Cecil Shorts / Jacksonville
OL: Anthony Castanzo / Indianapolis
TE: Rob Gronkowski / New England
DB: Morris Claiborne / Dallas
DL: Derrick Morgan / Tennessee
LB: James Lauranaitis / St. Louis

Cheating: KR: Chris Rainey ;)

That was actually fun....good thread idea!!!

RuthlessBurgher
12-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Your format, Akron, with a starting 22, then 1 extra RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, and DB (plus the kicker and punter, without the KR, PR, and LS) probably makes more sense than my original format (since who really cares about long snappers anyway...sorry, Greg Warren). You picked a lot of guys I highly considered, like Kuechley, Haden, Kalil the tackle (I took his brother the center), and Aldon Smith (an absolute pass rushing menace, but I wasn't sure about his run stopping ability, so I didn't want to commit myself to a situational player). I like Kyle Williams (I think his abuse of Chris Kemoeatu was the start of Kemo's downfall in Pittsburgh) and the only reason I chose his teammate Marcell Dareus over him as one of my DT's was that Williams was already 29, and Dareus just turned 23 last month. Nice work...glad you enjoyed it.

Chadman
12-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Looks good Akron, but you have a distinct lack of Smith's in your side, with only 2 found on the roster.

tiproast
12-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Looks good Akron, but you have a distinct lack of Smith's in your side, with only 2 found on the roster.
A wise man once said: "It's better to have a football team lacking Smiths, than one that is lacking Johnsons."