PDA

View Full Version : Give Yourself Props

flippy
11-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Time to come clean and give yourself some props for some bad calls you've made when looking at the Steelers. What are your top 5 bad calls where you couldn't have been more wrong? No repeats please.

Bonus points for remember something idiotic someone else said.

Like the Steelers, we fans need to heal our past wounds in preparation for the run to 7.

Flippy Top 5 Bad Calls:

1. Limas Sweed would be a stud WR
2. Keenan Lewis was mediocre and wouldn't hold down a starting job
3. Kordell Stewart was good enough to win a SuperBowl
4. Dirt was a 1st ballot HOFer
5. Brett Keisel would get 10 sacks when he replaced Kimo

I can think of a lot more for myself. But I'm having a hard time remembering others bad calls. No bonus points for Flippy :(

Who's next?

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2012, 01:35 PM
I don't make bad calls. I'm always right. You fools should realize that by now. :)

Seriously, though, here are some of my flawed draft thoughts during the Tomlin era...

1. I preferred guys like Amobi Okoye and Adam Carriker in the 2007 draft to guys like Darrelle Revis and Lawrence Timmons (although I did have a full-blown trade-everything-to-get-him man-crush on Calvin Johnson that year, so I was at least right about something that year). I did love the Woodley pick in round 2 (more than the Timmons pick in round 1), but would have also been happy with Dwayne Jarrett there (ugh!) or Ryan Kalil (woo hoo!) instead if we opted to not go LB-LB back-to-back.

2. Among our three 3rd round picks in the 2009 draft, I was most excited about the Kraig Urbik pick, moreso than the Mike Wallace or Keenan Lewis picks.

3. Among recent center prospects, I loved Alex Mack in the 2009 draft and wasn't nearly as excited about Maurkice Pouncey in 2010.

4. I thought that trading up in the 4th round for Daniel Sepulveda in the 2007 draft was a smart move.

5. I thought that trading up in the 4th round for Alameda Ta'Amu in the 2012 draft was a smart move.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Kraig Urbik, if I am not mistaken, was the #1 ranked guard in pass blocking last year.

Iron Shiek
11-28-2012, 04:33 PM
I remember the meltdown on the board when the Steelers drafted Spaeth. I didn't know much about him, but the concept of having him and Heath (2 big TE targets) was enough for me to defend the pick and try to see the good in it. He wasn't terrible, and still scores TDs for the Bears, but I expected us to employ the Patriots 2 TE mega scheme even before I knew what it was.

Chadman
11-28-2012, 07:02 PM
But there's been so many! How does one choose??

Plenty of Chadman love for Draft Superstars Frank Okam, Taylor Mays, Quan Cosby.

Was unhappy with the Pouncey draft pick.

Who was the #2 SS in Troy's draft? Was it Bob Sanders? Whoever it was, Chadman wanted him over Troy.

Supported Bruce Arians.

Chadman
11-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Mike Doss! That's who Chadman wanted over Troy.

Great pick.

flippy
11-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Mike Doss! That's who Chadman wanted over Troy.

Great pick.

Don't feel too bad. Cowher wanted a OLineman over Ben. :)

flippy
11-29-2012, 11:08 AM
I've thought about this some more and it's hard to remember stupid stuff you used to think. Although in my case most of what I think in the current is fairly goofy too :)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-29-2012, 11:21 AM
1) I was in favor of selling the farm to pick Gaines Adams in '07. He went fourth overall and would have probably cost at least out top three picks plus #1 in '08. That would have cost us Timmons, Woodley, Spaeth, and Mendenhall. At least if I was going to suggest we give up everything for one player in that draft it should have been AP who went 7th.

2) When everyone was complaining about the Essex pick in the third round in '05, I thought that the team had somehow uncovered a steal and thought he would become a starter for us.

3) I always believed, and still do, that Kordell was as much a victim of the OC carousel that he endured and could have fared much better if he had a play caller who catered better to his strengths. Of course, more than anything he would have been a fantastic WR, but that is another story.

4) Wasn't on board moving up for Troy, especially after we probably would have had our pick of Doss at SS, or Larry Johnson, who the Chiefs took with our pick.

5) Loved the Tim McKyer signing. Now all I see is him falling in the endzone while the receiver makes the easy catch.

Another great thread would be "players who you always defended and now feel vindicated"

Djfan
11-29-2012, 01:39 PM
I was excited about McKyer too. I am now worried about my happiness over Adams and DeCastro. Hmmm

fordfixer
11-29-2012, 03:33 PM
I do all my best thinking when I'm all by myself because then there isn't anyone to hold me accountable for what I thought. Anyway I really liked the Scott Shields pick from too long ago

SidSmythe
11-29-2012, 04:15 PM
I wish i had some mistakes to confess like you bums!! :p

OK maybe I have a few...especially back when I was young in the 80s and 90s and followed my heart and not my head.
So I will focus on the last 12 yrs.
- I really thought Tommy Maddox was gonna follow up his great season with an even better one
- Was not happy about Tommy Maddox's flop (that led to drafting Ben!!) Boy was I wrong.
- Hated the Timmons pick for years.
- Crezdon Butler was going to be the man and Keenan Lewis needed to be sent packing.
- Mike Humpal was going to be a huge surprise
- Mike Wallace had heart and a desire to be a top 5 WR!!
- Did not care much for Ryan Clark b/c he was a headhunter over a ballhawk. I now see the light. although I wish he were a ballhawk too.

hawaiiansteel
11-29-2012, 05:00 PM
I don't make bad calls. I'm always right.

I was wrong once.

there was this one time I thought I might have been wrong and of course it turned out later that I was right.

I was wrong for ever thinking I could be wrong, I won't make that mistake ever again. :grin:

Jooser
11-29-2012, 05:57 PM
-Thought Amos Zeroue would unseat Bettis and become a Pro Bowl RB.

-Didn't care much for the Troy pick at the time.

-Thought Mendenhall was the answer to all of our RB needs.

-Thought Kendrell Bell would anchor our inside LB need for years, becoming our "Ray Lewis".

-Figured we were shoe-ins to win back-to-back Super Bowls after winning XL. :D

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2012, 07:33 PM
-Thought Kendrell Bell would anchor our inside LB need for years, becoming our "Ray Lewis".

How weird is it that it seems like Kendrell Bell was a Steeler two lifetimes ago (for some reason, it seems like Bell came several years before Casey Hampton, not one round after the Big Snack), but Bell was drafted FIVE YEARS AFTER Ray Lewis, and Ray is still playing today (well, he's on I.R., but may be returning soon via the DeCastro loophole). For some perspective, we took Jamain #&@%ing Stephens 3 picks after the Ravens took Ray Lewis. Maybe Kendrell's short career is throwing me off, though. Consider Mike Vrabel...he had a long NFL career, right? Four years in Pittsburgh, eight years in New England, two years in Kansas City, and he's now in his second year coaching at his alma mater Ohio State...We drafted Vrabel THE YEAR AFTER Ray Lewis was drafted. Joey Porter also had a long NFL career too. Eight years in Pittsburgh, three years in Miami, and two years in Arizona. We drafted Porter THREE YEARS AFTER Ray Lewis was drafted. For all we know, Ray Lewis may be around long enough to play with his son like the Ken Griffey Sr. and Jr., because Ray Lewis III has already committed to play at the University of Miami next year.

SidSmythe
11-29-2012, 07:50 PM
How weird is it that it seems like Kendrell Bell was a Steeler two lifetimes ago (for some reason, it seems like Bell came several years before Casey Hampton, not one round after the Big Snack), but Bell was drafted FIVE YEARS AFTER Ray Lewis, and Ray is still playing today (well, he's on I.R., but may be returning soon via the DeCastro loophole). For some perspective, we took Jamain #&@%ing Stephens 3 picks after the Ravens took Ray Lewis. Maybe Kendrell's short career is throwing me off, though. Consider Mike Vrabel...he had a long NFL career, right? Four years in Pittsburgh, eight years in New England, two years in Kansas City, and he's now in his second year coaching at his alma mater Ohio State...We drafted Vrabel THE YEAR AFTER Ray Lewis was drafted. Joey Porter also had a long NFL career too. Eight years in Pittsburgh, three years in Miami, and two years in Arizona. We drafted Porter THREE YEARS AFTER Ray Lewis was drafted. For all we know, Ray Lewis may be around long enough to play with his son like the Ken Griffey Sr. and Jr., because Ray Lewis III has already committed to play at the University of Miami next year.

Kendrell Bell might be the greatest ILB to ever play for the Steelers since the 70s.
He did some of the most amazing things i've seen a 3-4 LB do in just his Rookie Season.
He had strength like James Harrison, the onfield presence of James Farrior and ran like Lawrence Timmons but healthwise he was even worse than Chad Pennington!!

flippy
11-29-2012, 07:51 PM
I do all my best thinking when I'm all by myself

I do my best thinking on the crapper too.

BigRob
11-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Kendrell Bell might be the greatest ILB to ever play for the Steelers since the 70s.
He did some of the most amazing things i've seen a 3-4 LB do in just his Rookie Season.
He had strength like James Harrison, the onfield presence of James Farrior and ran like Lawrence Timmons but healthwise he was even worse than Chad Pennington!!

Was he really that good, or were we just fooled? The only thing outstanding he did was blitz. He didn't get a lot of tackles or make plays in the passing game.

For all the grief he gets, Timmons is a much better MLB than Bell. Why all of the love for Bell?

flippy
11-29-2012, 07:55 PM

This is one of the strangest posts I've read in a while. I trust its all true, but gosh it does't seem to be.

At this rate, maybe Ray can play with his grandson.

focosteeler
11-29-2012, 08:03 PM
JaMarcus Russell was going to be All-Pro simply because of his arm. Thought Sepulveda was going to consistently destroy kick returners as well as be a pro bowl punter. Aaron Maybin was going to be a beast in the NFL

Reading this over makes me very sick....:cry:

flippy
11-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Was he really that good, or were we just fooled? The only thing outstanding he did was blitz. He didn't get a lot of tackles or make plays in the passing game.

For all the grief he gets, Timmons is a much better MLB than Bell. Why all of the love for Bell?

Bell was like a missile. He could go straight through and destroy anything in his path. He combined the JH power with the LT explosiveness.

I definitely think Timmy's the better all around LB. But Bell was a better finisher and I don't remember him getting as easily rerouted like Timmy sometimes.

fezziwig
11-29-2012, 08:16 PM
1. The first time we lost to the Patricheats in the playoffs. I thought we had nothing to worry about. Does that fact they were cheating erase my mistake ?

2. I thought McFadden was going to be our lights out corner for years to come.

3. I thought Mendenhall was going to be the next NFL running back sensation.

4. I thought Goodell was going to be a cool dude.

5. I thought Bruce Arians would be a cancer to our team, hold us back, not be able to handle all the talent he had on the offense, keep us from reaching more Super Bowls.
That our team would somehow succeed despite his stupid coaching and inability to adjust with team talents, team weaknesses and not be able to adjust during the course of
a game. Oh yeah, I did get that one right.

BigRob
11-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Bell was like a missile. He could go straight through and destroy anything in his path. He combined the JH power with the LT explosiveness.

I definitely think Timmy's the better all around LB. But Bell was a better finisher and I don't remember him getting as easily rerouted like Timmy sometimes.

I agree he was a missile and explosive, but I don't think his hype matched his actual performance.

jj28west
11-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Not in a particular order but

1) Bruce Davis = Jason Taylor (not)
2) Limas Sweed = Burress (not gonna happen)
3) Frank Summers = Bettis (next)
4) Thad Gibson = Patrick Willis II (not even close)
5) Dennis Dixon = RG III before ther was a RG III (not in this lifetime)

Thats just in the last 5 or so years. Thank you Youtube for all of those player highlight reels.

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2012, 08:40 PM
I agree he was a missile and explosive, but I don't think his hype matched his actual performance.

Kendrell Bell started 44 games for us from 2001-2003. Then he got hurt and was never the same player again.

In those 3 seasons in Pittsburgh as a starter, though, he had 232 total tackles, 187 solo tackles, 45 assists, 18 sacks, 6 passes defensed, 1 interception, and 2 forced fumbles.

Lawrence Timmons did not have the immediate impact as a rookie like Bell. But once he was named a full time starter at the beginning of the 2009 season, he also started 44 games in his first 3 seasons as a starter from 2009-2011.

In those 3 seasons in Pittsburgh as a starter, though, he had 306 total tackles, 220 solo tackles, 86 assists, 12 sacks, 18 passes defensed, 3 interceptions, and 3 forced fumbles.

Bell is remembered as a seek-and-destroy missile based on his 3 seasons as a starter in Pittsburgh before he got hurt, while Timmons is thought of as somewhat of a disappointment by many Steeler fans. And yet, Timmons leads in every one of those statistical categories except for having 6 fewer sacks (which is certainaly offset by having 74 more total tackles, 12 more PD's, 2 more INT's, and 1 more FF in this 3 season sample).

jj28west
11-29-2012, 08:41 PM

Remember the Kelly Holcomb game where he threw for all sorts of yards with Bruce Arians?

In that game there was a goalline stand where maybe Earnest Byner? tried to do a goal line leap and Bell hit him in midair and stonewalled him. Incredible play stopping airborne momentum like that.

flippy
11-29-2012, 08:42 PM

His career was so short, we just got a taste of the potential. And I think we overvalued him a little like we did early on with Timmy. Folks got frustrated with Timmy because he never took that huge leap many thought he could. We never got to see if Bell could make the jump, so I think we just assumed he woulda if healthy.

It's hard to remember back 2 weeks sometimes let alone many seasons. Everyone seems better the longer ago they played. We don't hear everything about these older players like we do the current roster. If we knew as much then, we probably would have completely different perceptions of past players.

The thing I would add is Bell seemed to start out faster than Timmy and so the expectations were even higher.

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Remember the Kelly Holcomb game where he threw for all sorts of yards with Bruce Arians?

In that game there was a goalline stand where maybe Earnest Byner? tried to do a goal line leap and Bell hit him in midair and stonewalled him. Incredible play stopping airborne momentum like that.

Stonewalling Bettis in a live goalline drill during his rookie training camp is what spawned the Bell Legend in the first place.

BigRob
11-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Kendrell Bell started 44 games for us from 2001-2003. Then he got hurt and was never the same player again.

In those 3 seasons in Pittsburgh as a starter, though, he had 232 total tackles, 187 solo tackles, 45 assists, 18 sacks, 6 passes defensed, 1 interception, and 2 forced fumbles.

Lawrence Timmons did not have the immediate impact as a rookie like Bell. But once he was named a full time starter at the beginning of the 2009 season, he also started 44 games in his first 3 seasons as a starter from 2009-2011.

In those 3 seasons in Pittsburgh as a starter, though, he had 306 total tackles, 220 solo tackles, 86 assists, 12 sacks, 18 passes defensed, 3 interceptions, and 3 forced fumbles.

Bell is remembered as a seek-and-destroy missile based on his 3 seasons as a starter in Pittsburgh before he got hurt, while Timmons is thought of as somewhat of a disappointment by many Steeler fans. And yet, Timmons leads in every one of those statistical categories except for having 6 fewer sacks (which is certainaly offset by having 74 more total tackles, 12 more PD's, 2 more INT's, and 1 more FF in this 3 season sample).

Agree 100%

eniparadoxgma
11-29-2012, 09:13 PM
I was also cool with Spaeth and thought that Sep was going to be a great pick for us.

On the other side, since I was right about something recently does that mean I get to start my own thread and buy a huge foam hand so I can pat myself on the back with it? :)

fordfixer
11-29-2012, 10:21 PM
=eniparadoxgma;I was also cool with Spaeth and thought that Sep was going to be a great pick for us.

On the other side, since I was right about something recently does that mean I get to start my own thread and buy a huge foam hand so I can pat myself on the back with it? :)

Only if you had put "remember you heard it here first" in the thread you guessed right in:roll:

SidSmythe
11-29-2012, 10:29 PM

Pass coverage is usually the last thing a LB learns to develop. He wasn't a huge liability in pass coverage but as a run stuffer and a pass rusher he was a machine.

I remember a game against Jacksonville I believe....he pancaked their OG on a pass rusher and got the sack. He was probably the first guy on DEFENSE that I ever watched instead of watching the person with the ball.

papillon
11-30-2012, 02:09 AM

If fans didn't like the pick (Timmons) there's nothing he will ever do that will change their mind. He could be All-pro every year for the next 10 and they'd think he's an average linebacker, because there was one game he couldn't get off of a block and missed a tackle that led to a touchdown.

Timmons will always have Steeler fans that think he's horrible and there isn't any amount of production that will change that.

Pappy

Steelerphile
11-30-2012, 08:50 PM
If fans didn't like the pick (Timmons) there's nothing he will ever do that will change their mind. He could be All-pro every year for the next 10 and they'd think he's an average linebacker, because there was one game he couldn't get off of a block and missed a tackle that led to a touchdown.

Timmons will always have Steeler fans that think he's horrible and there isn't any amount of production that will change that.

Pappy

I think this is pretty true. You still see people posting "show me" Timmons posts. He's made quite a few plays this year. I think this is a lot better than 2011, but probably still not quite a pro bowl season. I would still call 2010 a very good year but the same posters will gripe and say "Nuh-uh" that was nothing. Some people become very entrenched in a denial of a specific player or coach. The people I most respect are those who will shift a negative point of view, when it is clear the player is more than they originally thought.

The thing I always keep in mind is that none of these guys make it to the NFL because someone pulled their name out of hat. You have to make it through several layers of competition to even get into an NFL camp, much less make an NFL team. So this is the top of the athletic crop, even the ones who routinely are blasted by someone calling them out and saying "they suck."

Captain Lemming
11-30-2012, 09:05 PM
I remember the meltdown on the board when the Steelers drafted Spaeth. I didn't know much about him, but the concept of having him and Heath (2 big TE targets) was enough for me to defend the pick and try to see the good in it. He wasn't terrible, and still scores TDs for the Bears, but I expected us to employ the Patriots 2 TE mega scheme even before I knew what it was.

TOUCHDOWNS? Dude has ONE in eleven games!!! Well I guess three total during two years is plural, so I guess that is kinda true. :)

Captain Lemming
11-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Pass coverage is usually the last thing a LB learns to develop. He wasn't a huge liability in pass coverage but as a run stuffer and a pass rusher he was a machine.

I remember a game against Jacksonville I believe....he pancaked their OG on a pass rusher and got the sack. He was probably the first guy on DEFENSE that I ever watched instead of watching the person with the ball.

Bell was VASTLY overrated among Steeler fans. He made memorable splash plays (goal line plays and sacks) but was never the tackle machine some imagined. Dude had one season as a rookie as a rare inside pass rusher. Earl Holmes was STILL the better player. Timmons is a much better player and more productive than Bell ever was.