PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville poaches Toney Clemons from our practice squad

RuthlessBurgher
11-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Jaguars add four players to 53-man roster
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 27, 2012, 4:13 PM EST

In the kind of roster turnover you don’t often see in Week 13 of the NFL season, the Jaguars have signed four new players to their 53-man roster today.

The team has announced that free-agent cornerback Antwaun Molden and free-agent wide receiver Quan Cosby were both signed to the roster. Jacksonville also took running back Jordan Todman off Minnesota’s practice squad and wide receiver Toney Clemons off Pittsburgh’s practice squad.

Those four spots on the 53-man roster were available because running back Jalen Parmele (groin) and cornerback William Middleton (concussion) were placed on injured reserve, while wide receiver Micheal Spurlock and safety Chris Harris were released.

The Jaguars also picked up defensive end Ryan Davis for the practice squad.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/27/jaguars-add-four-players-to-53-man-roster/

Chadman
11-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Dear God NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

:)

hawaiiansteel
11-27-2012, 06:46 PM
the Steelers will probably sign David Gilreath back to the practice squad again.

Sugar
11-27-2012, 07:25 PM
I hope they enjoy him.

lloydroid
11-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Who cares. Dude most likely won't ever see playing time in a actual real NFL game in his career. Then again, he could be a Yancy Thigpen who scratched and clawed his way from being low draft pick to star, but I doubt it. Odds are not in his favor. Regardless, I don't care one bit that Jags signed him. Dude just hasn't been able to catch consistently.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-27-2012, 07:37 PM
That is actually a decent poach by them looking toward next year. Kid is blazing fast, fairly big, and got jerked around in college by having 3 new OC's in 4 years.

Slapstick
11-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Smart move by J'ville...

hawaiiansteel
11-27-2012, 08:11 PM
the Steelers will probably sign David Gilreath back to the practice squad again.

and it looks like Tampa Bay has already signed David Gilreath.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-27-2012, 08:38 PM
and it looks like Tampa Bay has already signed David Gilreath.

Maybe we can sign Hines back from the booth or El :p

DukieBoy
11-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Jagoff vultures

hawaiiansteel
11-27-2012, 08:43 PM
good thing we're getting Antonio Brown back this week.

Chadman
11-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Potentially good player, but with Gabbert throwing to him, guess we'll never know..

SidSmythe
11-27-2012, 10:11 PM
I loved CLEMONS! except for the fact that he can't catch!

Keyplay1
11-28-2012, 06:02 AM
Former roster or practice squad members Clemons (Jaguars), offensive lineman Ryan Lee (Saints) and Gilreath (Buccaneers) were claimed this week.[from a Trib article]

Busy week for the PS.

Are those things mandated by the league? Is a team required to have one? I mean what's the difference where any of these players is sleeping. You already have a line on them and know what they can do. Whats the difference if they are in Seattle or Houston or anywhere. If you need one simply claim them. Let someone else pay them in the meanwhile.

I mean, all 3 of those players are promising. Gilreath already was helpful to the team. But, now they might just help some other team and up to now all at TS [the steelers] expense. There is no way at this time TS could block any of these raids? by bringing any of these players up to the 53. So, if they are really any good they will now help someone else. Me never could figure out why they have those things.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-28-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm especially sorry to see Ryan Lee go...I thought he showed some good potential. Legursky hasn't been that great at guard, and who knows when one of the others will go down with injury--seems to be a too-regular occurrence.

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2012, 01:09 PM
I liked Ryan Lee in the preseason more than I liked Kelvin Beachum and John Malecki. Now we have Beachum and Malecki on our 53 man roster (with Beachum projected to start at RT! I don't know why they don't just slide Foster over to RT and insert DeCastro at RG in order to get our best 5 healthy OL out there), and we lost Lee to the Saints.

hawaiiansteel
11-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Are those things mandated by the league? Is a team required to have one? I mean what's the difference where any of these players is sleeping. You already have a line on them and know what they can do. Whats the difference if they are in Seattle or Houston or anywhere. If you need one simply claim them. Let someone else pay them in the meanwhile.

when a team claims a player off another team's practice squad they must carry them on their 53 man roster, thus we wouldn't be able to claim them right back.

BigRob
11-28-2012, 02:54 PM
when a team claims a player off another team's practice squad they must carry them on their 53 man roster, thus we wouldn't be able to claim them right back.

Correct, it also allows them to carry that player into the offseason and bring them to camp.

Hence why I wouldn't be surprised to see some team sign Ta'amu to the 53 man roster on the last week of the season to bring him onto their team for the offseason.

hawaiiansteel
11-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Correct, it also allows them to carry that player into the offseason and bring them to camp.

Hence why I wouldn't be surprised to see some team sign Ta'amu to the 53 man roster on the last week of the season to bring him onto their team for the offseason.

if you had told me that we just had 3 players players from our practice squad signed by other teams I would have certainly thought that Ta'amu would have been one of them.