PDA

View Full Version : Do you realize that the Steelers could be drafting as high as...

Dee Dub
11-27-2012, 05:44 PM
..7th overall this next draft? Yep. Technically it could be as high as 3rd overall but that would require Oakland, Cleveland, Philadelphia, and Carolina to run the table. Not possible. But between picks 32 and 7 only Denver and Cincinnati have a lower opponent winning percentage.

http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html

Hmmmmm?? Let see, would could the Steelers get at number 7 and 39? :D

flippy
11-27-2012, 05:48 PM
If we get the 7 and 39 pick, I say we draft a backup QB and a 3rd string QB with those 2 picks.

Oviedo
11-27-2012, 05:50 PM
I expect more realistically the Steelers will be drafting in the #14 to #18 range. This weekend is a guaranteed loss so that makes us 6-6. The best we can hope for is 9-7, but 8-8 is very possible. The Browns game was a must win and we blew it. Injuries just torpedoed the season...it happens sometimes. No team can lose a QB of Ben's caliber for 3-4 games and expect to compete.

Dee Dub
11-27-2012, 05:52 PM
I expect more realistically the Steelers will be drafting in the #14 to #18 range. This weekend is a guaranteed loss so that makes us 6-6. The best we can hope for is 9-7, but 8-8 is very possible. The Browns game was a must win and we blew it. Injuries just torpedoed the season...it happens sometimes. No team can lose a QB of Ben's caliber for 3-4 games and expect to compete.

I thinks so too. I hope we are both wrong but I see 14th-19th.

fezziwig
11-27-2012, 05:53 PM
I hate to say this Dee Dub but I was thinking the same thing weeks ago. With the injuries, the losses to AFC teams and especially to the Browns and Ravens, our Steelers just don't have it this season. I'm not saying throw the games but, it won't bother me if we get a very to very high draft pick this season. The only way these scrub team can get a better record than the Steelers at this point, they would need to play the Steelers to insure their chances of winning.

Chadman
11-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Mid round 1st round pick sounds like a stomach settler after a fairly frustrating season.

The key, of course, is to not stuff it up.

BigRob
11-27-2012, 06:43 PM
I've been on the record since pre-season saying this team could realistically be 7-9. That would put us somewhere around 10th.

hawaiiansteel
11-27-2012, 07:06 PM
If we get the 7 and 39 pick, I say we draft a backup QB and a 3rd string QB with those 2 picks.

good thinking, we'll be way better prepared the next time Ben wants to miss a couple of games to watch his next child be born.

Sugar
11-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Has it come to this Steeler Nation? The team isn't even eliminated from the playoffs yet despite all the adversity. I guess I'm not thinking about next season or the draft or combine or any of that until this years body of work is complete and honest assessments can be made based on the whole of the year.

I'd like to say that it's darkest before the dawn...

AkronSteel
11-27-2012, 07:39 PM
I still think this team finishes 10-6 and goes on to beat New England and Houston in the playoffs. Just coming up a bit short because we have to make a return trip to Denver and the team has to play without Ryan Clark. Ryan Mundy makes another nightmare mistake, except this time it's against Peyton. Ben makes a comeback attempt in the last two minutes but comes up just short as he runs out of time. This team can make a serious run if they are healthy and I'm holding out hope that we can get some of those difference makers back that we are sorely missing. I can't say I'm completely upset with Troy being out as long as he has because, if he does make it back on the field, he will be fresh. Plus, after the way we watched Ben finish last year it will be nice to see him playing on good legs and making plays in December and January.

Now saying all that, I can't say I would be completely upset if we have higher draft picks either. This team is gutted to some extent depth wise and will probably continue to go through transitions in 2013. Being 20-30 million over the cap going into the start of 2013 Football Year, I would expect that this team is going to be stripping more veterans as we go. Is this team going to be able to sign the Wallace's, Miller's, and Lewis's of the world. Well they better find a way to keep at least two of those guys. Starks, Harrison, Foote, Mendenhall and Redman may walk out the door as well. There is going to be major turnover and it will take a bit to fill those holes. Having the higher draft picks would help the team fill those emptied positions with a higher quality player and give the team a stronger foot hold going into the future.

Overall, I want to see the team compete and as a fan I fully expect them to as I said in the first paragraph. As a logical long term thinker and fan, a down year would not be a bad thing considering the thin line this team is walking going into the future. It would be nice to add a top 10-15 player.

hawaiiansteel
11-27-2012, 08:07 PM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3218/2686117914_976d08f5b2_o.jpg

steelblood
11-27-2012, 09:34 PM
No team can lose a QB of Ben's caliber for 3-4 games and expect to compete.

What? Your memory is short.

hawaiiansteel
11-27-2012, 10:57 PM

we went 3-1 when Ben was suspended for those 4 games.

pfelix73
11-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Well, the way the AFC is positioned right now, we'd have to lose all of the games from here on out NOT to take that #6 seed. That would mean another trip to the playoffs and even with an early exit, that would still put us around #20,21, 22 for a 1st round pick.

We're gonna start to get everyone back from injury here in the very near future. Games we should easily win are Dallas, SD, Cincy, and Cleve. 10-6.

BigRob
11-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Well, the way the AFC is positioned right now, we'd have to lose all of the games from here on out NOT to take that #6 seed. That would mean another trip to the playoffs and even with an early exit, that would still put us around #20,21, 22 for a 1st round pick.

We're gonna start to get everyone back from injury here in the very near future. Games we should easily win are Dallas, SD, Cincy, and Cleve. 10-6.

These are tough games with Big Ben, but easy wins when we don't know when he'll return? We'll also be down Adams and Gilbert on the line. Decastro is not healed all of the way; Colon sprained his colon.

We could easily lose all of these games as well.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-28-2012, 01:06 AM
Change your tampons you douchebags. Y'all are suffering from toxic shock syndrome. We are going to go 9-7, get the 5th seed, shock the world & win the bowl....jeez.

NJ-STEELER
11-28-2012, 01:13 AM
Has it come to this Steeler Nation? The team isn't even eliminated from the playoffs yet despite all the adversity. I guess I'm not thinking about next season or the draft or combine or any of that until this years body of work is complete and honest assessments can be made based on the whole of the year.

worse then that

the team is actaully in postion to be in the playoffs if the season ednded today

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2012, 02:01 AM
If we end up drafting early in the first and then again early in the second, I could see us going best player available with a couple of Golden Domers...the best linebacker in the draft in Manti Te'o (would make quite a combo inside with Timmons) and then the best tight end in the draft (would make an excellent complement to Heath in this new 2-TE-happy NFL; Pope won't be here next year and Paulson is a better #3 TE than a pure #2). Then we can address a big need at safety by grabbing Alabama's Robert Lester in the early 3rd.

If we pull it together somewhat in December and are drafting in our usual mid-to-late round slot, then I'd aim for back-to-back picks to take over at safety once Troy and Clark hang 'em up...Eric Reid and Tony Jefferson, then maybe Texas A&M's Sean Porter in round 3.

Still hoping that a healthy return of #7, #43, #84, #56, #66, etc. can get us back on track and have us picking at #32, though.

steelblood
11-28-2012, 08:39 AM
If we end up drafting early in the first and then again early in the second, I could see us going best player available with a couple of Golden Domers...the best linebacker in the draft in Manti Te'o (would make quite a combo inside with Timmons) and then the best tight end in the draft (would make an excellent complement to Heath in this new 2-TE-happy NFL; Pope won't be here next year and Paulson is a better #3 TE than a pure #2). Then we can address a big need at safety by grabbing Alabama's Robert Lester in the early 3rd.

If we pull it together somewhat in December and are drafting in our usual mid-to-late round slot, then I'd aim for back-to-back picks to take over at safety once Troy and Clark hang 'em up...Eric Reid and Tony Jefferson, then maybe Texas A&M's Sean Porter in round 3.

Still hoping that a healthy return of #7, #43, #84, #56, #66, etc. can get us back on track and have us picking at #32, though.

It is all speculation at this point, but I don't believe Te'o will be the first linebacker taken nor is he the best linebacker in the draft. Jarvis Jones is the best and may be the first player taken overall. Now, perhaps you meant best inside linebacker in the draft. I'd agree with that.

Oviedo
11-28-2012, 10:16 AM
we went 3-1 when Ben was suspended for those 4 games.

...and we did not have Troy missing, Harrison and Woodley missing in action, Foote as starting ILB, both starting RTs hurt, etc. If we were in the same situation then as now we would not have been 3-1.

Oviedo
11-28-2012, 10:18 AM

Sorry to be "doom and gloom" but without Ben at near 100% we are not beating Dallas or Cincinatti. The latter is playing much better.

feltdizz
11-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Sorry to be "doom and gloom" but without Ben at near 100% we are not beating Dallas or Cincinatti. The latter is playing much better.

are they really playing better football? The Giants always stink it up in November so I'm not putting too much stock in that win... and they beat teams they are supposed to beat that we lost to WITH Ben.

They just feel like the typical Bungals to me...

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Since everyone and their mother on this board has been talking about the front office failures of developing a young QB behind Ben (had to keep Leftwich and Batch beyond their expiration dates), I wonder if the front office would be willing to go back to Miami of Ohio and use a mid-round pick on their QB, Zac Dysert?

BigRob
11-28-2012, 02:52 PM
It is all speculation at this point, but I don't believe Te'o will be the first linebacker taken nor is he the best linebacker in the draft. Jarvis Jones is the best and may be the first player taken overall. Now, perhaps you meant best inside linebacker in the draft. I'd agree with that.

Jarvis Jones is not the best Linebacker in the draft and he's not even the best pass rusher in the draft.

Jones also has a major potential issue with his neck in that his spine is narrowing. That is part of why he left USC. This long term potential career shortening health condition will cause him to drop into the late teens. He's not going to be the first player chosen.