PDA

View Full Version : Mendy demoted, Dwyer starts

Djfan
11-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Per bleacherreport.com

Mendy is now third string and Dwyer is starter.

I bet he's gone after this season, along with Wallace.

Good cap and talent move, IMO.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-27-2012, 01:20 PM
How many fumbles did Mendy have - 1 or 2?

Not sure Dwyer looked any better or worse than Mendy on Sunday ... wonder if there's something else going on like attitude problems or something.

Did they say who #2 was going to be DJ?

NorthCoast
11-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Mendenhall has been living on borrowed time and on past accomplishments. I don't fault the guy for getting injured, but when called upon he just hasn't been able to answer for whatever reason. I think the organization expected a lot more from a RB that was a No.1 pick.

BigRob
11-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Per bleacherreport.com

Mendy is now third string and Dwyer is starter.

I bet he's gone after this season, along with Wallace.

Good cap and talent move, IMO.

He is unrestricted after this year, him being gone helps the cap situation not one bit.

grotonsteel
11-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Good News...!!

Dwyer has been the best RB for Steelers this season.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-27-2012, 01:37 PM

Not sure Dwyer looked any better or worse than Mendy on Sunday ... wonder if there's something else going on like attitude problems or something.

Mendenhall blows. Tomlin moved him to #3. He also said he isn't sure if Sanders or Wallace will start alongside Brown so Wallace and his crappy efforts are being called out as well. Doesn't take much effort to try and go back to an underthrown ball, let the DB run into you and get the PI call helping your team. Happens to Ike and our DB's fairly often.

Djfan
11-27-2012, 01:38 PM
The number two wasn't addressed, unless I missed it. You can bet it's Redman.

feltdizz
11-27-2012, 01:38 PM

At least Dwyer had positive yards before his fumble...

hawaiiansteel
11-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Mendenhall demoted … Wallace close, too

November 27th, 2012
Mark Kaboly | Tribune-Review

The depth chart that’s released by the Steelers every Tuesday is just a formality — nothing ever changes.

Well, except when your top running back fumbled twice the four times he touched the ball and your speedy receiver catches one pass and has some poor body language.

When the Steelers released its depth chart for Sunday’s game against Ravens, Rashard Mendenhall was demoted from first-team running back to third string. Jonathan Dwyer is now listed as the starter. Isaac Redman remained as the No. 2.

Also, Mike Wallace was always listed as the starting receiver along with Antonio Brown. Now, the depth chart reads Mike Wallace OR Emmanuel Sanders as the starter.

Obviously, the Steelers and Mike Tomlin is not very happy with either guy.

This very well could be a ploy by Tomlin to motivate the two players. It would’ve been just as easy to not change the official depth chart and go about your plan to not play Mendenhall or Wallace. But for the Steelers to make it official in one of their weekly releases tell me motivation might be a reason why.

However and ironically, both are in the final year of their rookie deals.

I guess we can assume that the either Mendenhall and Wallace won’t be on the top of the Steelers free agent list in March if they don’t respond like the Steelers are hoping they do.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/11/27/mendenhall-demoted-wallace-close-too/

grotonsteel
11-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Glad to see MW demoted. I was a Mike Wallace fan but i think he has been disappointing.

MW had great 3 season with Steelers. I though MW might take the next step in his play this year but he has been disappointing. It's as if his progress on the field has stopped. All he has to do is watch Plex draw PI penalty and learn from it.

I have not been following NCAAF this season.Is there a Randy Moss type WR this draft?? If there is one i would not mind Steelers drafting him in Rd 1.

NorthCoast
11-27-2012, 07:53 PM
People can b1tch all they want about Tomlin, but this kind of announcement clearly shows he is not a coddler. "The standard is the standard".

Would a Bill Cowher make such a move mid-season?... I don't believe I ever saw it during his reign.

DukieBoy
11-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Mendenhall has been living on borrowed time and on past accomplishments. I don't fault the guy for getting injured, but when called upon he just hasn't been able to answer for whatever reason. I think the organization expected a lot more from a RB that was a No.1 pick.

By drafting Mendy in the 1st round at #23 and Limas Sweed at 2/#53), we missed out on players like Chris Johnson (#24) not that I'd want him, FS Kenny Phillips at 1/31, Jordy Nelson at 2/36, Matt Forte at 2/44, Deshawn Jackson at 2/49 not that I'd want him, and above all Ray Rice at 2/55. Would you trade Mendy and Sweed for any two of those players ?

NorthCoast
11-27-2012, 08:10 PM
By drafting Mendy in the 1st round at #23 and Limas Sweed at 2/#53), we missed out on players like Chris Johnson (#24) not that I'd want him, FS Kenny Phillips at 1/31, Jordy Nelson at 2/36, Matt Forte at 2/44, Deshawn Jackson at 2/49 not that I'd want him, and above all Ray Rice at 2/55. Would you trade Mendy and Sweed for any two of those players ?

Which begs the question, who's decision was it to draft him, Colbert, Tomlin, Arians?... somebody needs to pay for that 1 - 2 fiasco.

hawaiiansteel
11-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Which begs the question, who's decision was it to draft him, Colbert, Tomlin, Arians?... somebody needs to pay for that 1 - 2 fiasco.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_WVccjCgVIU4/SNbaGiC2NsI/AAAAAAAAABs/Fr4qoaevu3Q/s320/blame-arians.jpg

Chadman
11-27-2012, 08:23 PM

Fair is fair- Mendy was a gift when he fell to the Steelers. And it's not like he's been bad here- he's struggled through injury this season. But he has had some decent success as a Steeler. And Sweed was quite possible BPA. If anything- the Steelers were guilty of drafting BPA instead of going with 'their guys'. They didn't even have Mendy in pre-draft, because he was supposed to go much higher.

DukieBoy
11-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Fair is fair- Mendy was a gift when he fell to the Steelers. And it's not like he's been bad here- he's struggled through injury this season. But he has had some decent success as a Steeler. And Sweed was quite possible BPA. If anything- the Steelers were guilty of drafting BPA instead of going with 'their guys'. They didn't even have Mendy in pre-draft, because he was supposed to go much higher.

True and fair that, at that time, it seemed like a great draft for the Steelers. I thought so then. Now, players like Jordy Nelson and Ray Rice have panned out so much better, and seem to have optimum football character and determination.

NorthCoast
11-27-2012, 10:34 PM
True and fair that, at that time, it seemed like a great draft for the Steelers. I thought so then. Now, players like Jordy Nelson and Ray Rice have panned out so much better, and seem to have optimum football character and determination.

....actually was on record pushing for the Steelers to draft Rice. He was exactly the kind of runner the Steelers were looking for, a 'will not be denied' type runner. oh well, spilt milk...

ikestops85
11-27-2012, 11:07 PM

That's really stupid. Every draft expert on TV gave us an 'A' for the first day of that draft. They said we got 2 steals and both would be play makers for years to come. The draft is a crap shoot ... not a science.

Keyplay1
11-28-2012, 06:22 AM
People can b1tch all they want about Tomlin, but this kind of announcement clearly shows he is not a coddler. "The standard is the standard".

Would a Bill Cowher make such a move mid-season?... I don't believe I ever saw it during his reign.

Wallace?? What took so long. This move which is really all talk at this point is at least 8 or 9 or 10 or even 11 weeks too late to save this season. Why would anyone play a player who has no interest in the team who absolutely does not expect or desire to be here next season and who might not even be of interest to the team anyhow? This made no sense to me and frankly I think it was a major contribution to the bad situation the team is in now.

aggiebones
11-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Dwyer looked great against bum Ds like Wash. and Cinn. You could have ridden a tractor without being touched through the holes in those games.

Less than impressed recently. Sledding is getting tougher and he's not doing much. Not sure how he garners the starting role after his recent 9 for 19 rushing with a fumble. How is that worse than the other two? Seems the some to me. Cleveland is not exactly SF.
Yea, if you are getting rid of Mendi, more on, that's fine. But let's not hail him as any more than he's been; periodically good against bad teams.

But to be honest the OL is so bad right now, that you can't get a feel for any of them. Better bring in some new talent soon.
And hopefully the OL figures out not to all get hurt by game 10 every year.

flippy
11-28-2012, 11:57 AM
JD will need a breather after his first carry. I wouldn't be too worried if I were Mendy.

Here's the potential problem with what Tomlin's doing. Mendy's too smart to be bothered Tomlin's motivational technique. Wally might be hurt by the slight and end up performing worse.

There;s a fine line.

Oviedo
11-28-2012, 12:01 PM
JD will need a breather after his first carry. I wouldn't be too worried if I were Mendy.

Here's the potential problem with what Tomlin's doing. Mendy's too smart to be bothered Tomlin's motivational technique. Wally might be hurt by the slight and end up performing worse.

There;s a fine line.

If Wally is "hurt by the slight and ends up performing worse" it is good to know because that is the clearest indication he ISN'T an elite WR and doesn't deserve to be paid like one. But, many of us already knew that and I think the Steelers knew that. They gave him the chance to play this season for a big contract and he has at times been underwhelming. You don't commit 7-9% of your salary cap to a player like that.

Shawn
11-28-2012, 01:19 PM
That's really stupid. Every draft expert on TV gave us an 'A' for the first day of that draft. They said we got 2 steals and both would be play makers for years to come. The draft is a crap shoot ... not a science.

a voice of reason.

SteelBucks
11-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Mendy and Wallace demoted....I like it. Now lets move to the defensive side of the ball and get Heyward more playing time.

feltdizz
11-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Mendy and Wallace demoted....I like it. Now lets move to the defensive side of the ball and get Heyward more playing time.

"me too"

-McClendon

Oviedo
11-28-2012, 02:31 PM

I've could've won the lottery at least a hundred times after I knew the numbers.

phillyesq
11-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Mendy's too smart to be bothered Tomlin's motivational technique.

Not sure that excess intelligence has ever been Mendenhall's problem.

lloydroid
11-28-2012, 02:56 PM
He is unrestricted after this year, him being gone helps the cap situation not one bit.

Yea but not even trying to resign him will help fit us under the cap eventually. Keeping RM would be more expensive then some mid round draft pick, for sure.

lloydroid
11-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Hmmm, remember before the season ever started when I said JD would prove to be our best back - better than RM? It took a while, but now the coaches must agree with me. Not even I knew RM would end up stinking this bad. He truly sucks.

hawaiiansteel
11-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Hmmm, remember before the season ever started when I said JD would prove to be our best back - better than RM? It took a while, but now the coaches must agree with me. Not even I knew RM would end up stinking this bad. He truly sucks.

it looks like Mendy is still not 100% to me, I still can't figure out why we rushed him back so early.

lloydroid
11-28-2012, 04:50 PM
it looks like Mendy is still not 100% to me, I still can't figure out why we rushed him back so early.

Desperation; the same thing that causes us to sign Plex. They are in deep doo doo and they know it. RM might not be back all the way, but even when he is 100% he ain't as advertised when he was drafted. Bottom line, once he got a taste of how physical NFL players were, he never became the back he was in college.

anger 82&95
11-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Nice… You can almost envision Arian’s only draft criterion being BSP (Bubble Screen Potential).

Chadman
11-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Guess this is more an indication of where the Steelers running game is going- RB rotation with Dwyer/Redman/Rainey next season.

Wouldn't be surprised if there is a 4th name added to the list, mid-round type draft pick. Not a lot of financial investment in the group, but decent production.

Oviedo
11-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Guess this is more an indication of where the Steelers running game is going- RB rotation with Dwyer/Redman/Rainey next season.

Wouldn't be surprised if there is a 4th name added to the list, mid-round type draft pick. Not a lot of financial investment in the group, but decent production.

And all that hinges on Dwyer keeping his focus and working hard on his conditioning and physical skills. The team needs to find a way to keep someone engaged with him so he doesn't fall back into bad habits. IMO the team will draft a RB sometime in this upcoming draft. Dywer, Redman and Rainey isn't going to strike fear into any opponents hearts.

ikestops85
11-28-2012, 06:51 PM
And all that hinges on Dwyer keeping his focus and working hard on his conditioning and physical skills. The team needs to find a way to keep someone engaged with him so he doesn't fall back into bad habits. IMO the team will draft a RB sometime in this upcoming draft. Dywer, Redman and Rainey isn't going to strike fear into any opponents hearts.

I think that combo could be special ... AS LONG AS THEY HOLD ON TO THE BALL! Sorry about the yelling but I still get a little fired up thinking about last weeks game. Dywer has won me over this year, I've always liked the heart that Redman provides, and Rainey could be a big play guy. They might draft a back next year but it won't be before the 4th round. I don't think it is that big of a need.

Chadman
11-28-2012, 07:18 PM

While your point is good about Dwyer's conditioning, one of the 'advantages' of a RB by committee type backfield is that if Dwyer is out of shape- you simply fall back on the rest of the rotation. That's why a 4th RB will likely be added. Wouldn't surprise if it's a Baron Batch type guy, maybe just a higher rated type.

In the end, if all the RB's average between 3.5 & 4 yards a pop, the job is done. Ben & the WR's ARE the Offense, the running game just needs to take the heat off in tight games.

Shoe
11-28-2012, 08:19 PM
This is a game where I expect big things from Dwyer (though I realize it's against the Ravens).

He's fresh, he's out to prove something (that he can hold on to the ball), and it's a bright lights game. Signs point to him stepping up. As a talent, I think he is our best back right now. Better than Redman for sure (I wasn't saying that before the season started), and better than Mendenhall as he is.

steelz09
11-28-2012, 09:35 PM

There;s a fine line.

flippy, are you getting soft? jk :)

I don't give a damn if Mendenhall is a genius. If he's so smart then maybe he can use his brains to figure out a few things. #1 How to stop his tap dancing and useless spin moves #2 How to read his blocks #3 How to hold onto the ball. Apparently, he hasn't been smart enough to figure those 3 things out throughout his career.

Now, onto Wallace. If he gets "hurt" by this then he has absolutely no mental toughness. I wonder if Wallace can answer me two questions.

How many "elite" receivers are listed as co-starters with the typical #3 receiver?

How many co-starters (with the #3 receiver) are making over 11 million / year?

hawaiiansteel
11-29-2012, 02:30 AM
Mike Wallace's stats this season so far:

47 receptions for 572 yards and 6 TDs

Eric Dekker's stats this season so far:

54 receptions for 685 yards and 8 TDs

Mike Wallace shouldn't even be demanding Eric Dekker $ this off-season...

LordVile
11-29-2012, 04:47 AM
mendy fumbles 2 times in 4 carries.. garbage.. adios!

I'll always remember him for the Superbowl..

flippy
11-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Mike Wallace's stats this season so far:

47 receptions for 572 yards and 6 TDs

Eric Dekker's stats this season so far:

54 receptions for 685 yards and 8 TDs

Mike Wallace shouldn't even be demanding Eric Dekker $ this off-season...

Wally's putting up numbers like Nate Washington. I remember Nate running by guys all the time. And Nate had suspect hands.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Mendenhall has never consistently proven himself. He has had the odd nice game, but never has he shown that he is a first rounder type guy.

- In the '08 draft, most were predicting that Carolina takes Mendy and J Stewart would fall to us.....better scenario.

- Jerry Jones went to his alma mater to draft backup Felix Jones one pick ahead of Mendy.....no difference

- CJ2K was chosen one pick after Mendy.....better scenario

- Had we laid off of RB and gotten caught up in the OT rush we could have drafted Duane Brown (who was projected to go around the third but everyone was jumping on tackles and we needed one) and waited for a RB.....much better scenario, Brown has become a very good OT despite getting schooled by Harrison his rookie year.

- If we draft Brown in the first, letting a top RB fall, the next RB taken was Forte at 44 (but could have fallen to us at #53 in the second if Bears go Mendy), or Ray Rice, who went 2 picks after Limas Sweed.

That being said, I was full on board with the Mendy and Sweed picks at the time, but how things could have worked out had we not gone that way........

Oviedo
11-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Wally's putting up numbers like Nate Washington. I remember Nate running by guys all the time. And Nate had suspect hands.

Washington had the exact same defieciencies as Wallace:

1. Couldn't highpoint the ball and outleap defenders
2. Just average adjusting their routes to the ball in flight
3. Can't fight defenders for ball or fight through tackles

I think the discussion is pretty much over about whether Wallace deserves a Top 5 WR contract. Even his biggest athletic supporters can't make the case for his season to justify taking the risk of paying him those kind of dollars.

Oviedo
11-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Mendenhall has never consistently proven himself. He has had the odd nice game, but never has he shown that he is a first rounder type guy.

- In the '08 draft, most were predicting that Carolina takes Mendy and J Stewart would fall to us.....better scenario.

- Jerry Jones went to his alma mater to draft backup Felix Jones one pick ahead of Mendy.....no difference

- CJ2K was chosen one pick after Mendy.....better scenario

- Had we laid off of RB and gotten caught up in the OT rush we could have drafted Duane Brown (who was projected to go around the third but everyone was jumping on tackles and we needed one) and waited for a RB.....much better scenario, Brown has become a very good OT despite getting schooled by Harrison his rookie year.

- If we draft Brown in the first, letting a top RB fall, the next RB taken was Forte at 44 (but could have fallen to us at #53 in the second if Bears go Mendy), or Ray Rice, who went 2 picks after Limas Sweed.

That being said, I was full on board with the Mendy and Sweed picks at the time, but how things could have worked out had we not gone that way........

If I knew the Powerball numbers before last night I wouldn't be chatting with you guys today. Doing "what if" on past drafts is a waste of time

Steelerphile
11-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Washington had the exact same defieciencies as Wallace:

1. Couldn't highpoint the ball and outleap defenders
2. Just average adjusting their routes to the ball in flight
3. Can't fight defenders for ball or fight through tackles

I think the discussion is pretty much over about whether Wallace deserves a Top 5 WR contract. Even his biggest athletic supporters can't make the case for his season to justify taking the risk of paying him those kind of dollars.

I know you don't like Nate Washington, but let me point how far he has exceeded your negative assessments of him. He's still in the league doing well and is Tennessee's leading receiver again this year. Closing in on 5,000 career total yards. You were wrong about this guy. Wallace is not exactly like Nate. I think Nate runs better routes AND makes better adjustments and an overall better effort than Wallace. Wallce has not proven himself to deserve the huge contract he was asking for. I think Wallace is a bigger and more physical player than Nate and even though Nate is fast, Wallce is probably faster. But Wallace seems self-satisfied and not demanding of himself. He does not extend himself much. Washington is a more savvy type receiver. Better hands than you credit him for.

lloydroid
12-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Dwyer looked great against bum Ds like Wash. and Cinn. You could have ridden a tractor without being touched through the holes in those games.

Less than impressed recently. Sledding is getting tougher and he's not doing much. Not sure how he garners the starting role after his recent 9 for 19 rushing with a fumble. How is that worse than the other two? Seems the some to me. Cleveland is not exactly SF.
Yea, if you are getting rid of Mendi, more on, that's fine. But let's not hail him as any more than he's been; periodically good against bad teams.

But to be honest the OL is so bad right now, that you can't get a feel for any of them. Better bring in some new talent soon.
And hopefully the OL figures out not to all get hurt by game 10 every year.

Skins have the 3rd-best rushing D in the NFL. I love how everyone keeps saying he ran on that weak D, yet no one bothers to notice that the Skins have a good rushing D. This is just preposterous. Even Cinci is 17th against the rush - which is average, not horrible. But don't bother to use the facts in your assessment.

lloydroid
12-01-2012, 04:58 PM
If I knew the Powerball numbers before last night I wouldn't be chatting with you guys today. Doing "what if" on past drafts is a waste of time

No it isn't. It illuminates if they have been drafting well or not. That isn't a waste of time. Don't you want to know if they are doing a good job or not? I do.

RuthlessBurgher
12-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Skins have the 3rd-best rushing D in the NFL. I love how everyone keeps saying he ran on that weak D, yet no one bothers to notice that the Skins have a good rushing D. This is just preposterous. Even Cinci is 17th against the rush - which is average, not horrible. But don't bother to use the facts in your assessment.

The Skins rush defense is 3rd in the league because no one bothers to run on them because their passing defense is so ridiculously horrible. They have faced an NFL-high 462 passes, and an NFL-few 240 rushes against them.

The Skins are 3rd in the NFL in rush defense...they have allowed 981 yards on the ground this season (89.1 per game).

Let's compare them to another team, shall we?

The Ravens are 26th in the NFL in rush defense...they have allowed 1413 yards on the ground this season (128.5 per game).

Obviously, the Skins have a WAY BETTER rush defense than the Ravens, right? After all, they allow nearly 40 YARDS per game less than Baltimore. To even suggest that the 26th ranked Ravens might have a better rush defense than the 3rd ranked Skins defense would be preposterous, right?

Except when you look at the fact that the Ravens defense has faced 351 rushes this season, compared to the Skins paltry 240. Ten extra rushes against you per game explains that nearly 40 yard per game difference. When you look closer, the Ravens are actually slightly better than the Skins (the 26th ranked Raven rush defense allows 4.0 yards per rush, while the 3rd ranked Skins rush defense allows 4.1 yards per rush).

There you go...I bothered to use facts in my assessment. :p

DukieBoy
12-02-2012, 03:44 PM
The Skins rush defense is 3rd in the league because no one bothers to run on them because their passing defense is so ridiculously horrible. They have faced an NFL-high 462 passes, and an NFL-few 240 rushes against them.

The Skins are 3rd in the NFL in rush defense...they have allowed 981 yards on the ground this season (89.1 per game).

Let's compare them to another team, shall we?

The Ravens are 26th in the NFL in rush defense...they have allowed 1413 yards on the ground this season (128.5 per game).

Obviously, the Skins have a WAY BETTER rush defense than the Ravens, right? After all, they allow nearly 40 YARDS per game less than Baltimore. To even suggest that the 26th ranked Ravens might have a better rush defense than the 3rd ranked Skins defense would be preposterous, right?

Except when you look at the fact that the Ravens defense has faced 351 rushes this season, compared to the Skins paltry 240. Ten extra rushes against you per game explains that nearly 40 yard per game difference. When you look closer, the Ravens are actually slightly better than the Skins (the 26th ranked Raven rush defense allows 4.0 yards per rush, while the 3rd ranked Skins rush defense allows 4.1 yards per rush).

There you go...I bothered to use facts in my assessment. :p

School is in session. Nice analysis RB.