PDA

View Full Version : A Worild of Difference

BigRob
11-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Explosive! He now leads the Steelers with 5 sacks.

Slapstick
11-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Explosive! He now leads the Steelers with 5 sacks.

And, despite what you may read on this board, he beat a blocker to earn that sack...he can do that...

BigRob
11-26-2012, 01:45 PM
And, despite what you may read on this board, he beat a blocker to earn that sack...he can do that...

4 tackles, 2 sacks, holding penalty called because of him, and he played the run well. Sometimes it just takes a guy a few years to get going.

fezziwig
11-26-2012, 02:37 PM
4 tackles, 2 sacks, holding penalty called because of him, and he played the run well. Sometimes it just takes a guy a few years to get going.

Just ask James Harrison.

I didn't know what to think of Worilds when we drafted him. I know the coaches or at least Tomlin was excited about him if I remember correctly.. Worilds shows he has the ability to be good to great and I hope gets it all together for this team and that the coaches play him more if he does.

BigRob
11-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Just ask James Harrison.

I didn't know what to think of Worilds when we drafted him. I know the coaches or at least Tomlin was excited about him if I remember correctly.. Worilds shows he has the ability to be good to great and I hope gets it all together for this team and that the coaches play him more if he does.

Worilds had a 1.58 ten yard split at the combine on his forty.

Consider that Bruce Irvin (Seattle) was considered a one trick pass rushing pony and had a 1.57 yard split at a lighter weight. Anything sub 1.6 is considered elite pass rushing explosiveness.

Be glad to see if he can stay healthy through this season and the offseason.

phillyesq
11-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Be glad to see if he can stay healthy through this season and the offseason.

Yeah, health has always been a big question with Worilds. He played well yesterday.

In addition to his stats, he also broke up a pass when he rocked the guy bobbling the ball.

RuthlessBurgher
11-26-2012, 02:53 PM
It is weird seeing that big ol' 93 running around...I always think of Joel Steed...if Worilds shed a few pounds, maybe I wouldn't anymore.

hawaiiansteel
11-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Worilds seems to play a lot better when he plays on the left in place of Woodley than when he fills in for Harrison on the right. if I remember correctly, Worilds played LDE at Va Tech, seems like he is a lot more comfortable on that side.

flippy
11-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Worilds is a beast at LOLB. He's mediocre on the right.

I keep thinking he's fast Casey Hampton. When you look at the 3 quickly, sometimes it looks like an 8.

Steelerphile
11-26-2012, 05:07 PM
I've liked the guy for a while. It seems he is finally about healthy. He has the ability to be a real playmaker.

Bluto
11-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Next year put Woodley on blind side. Woirlds on left side and put Harrison next to Timmons. Think James could handle the middle? I do he can"t be weaker than Foote.

BigRob
11-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Next year put Woodley on blind side. Woirlds on left side and put Harrison next to Timmons. Think James could handle the middle? I do he can"t be weaker than Foote.

Harrison is only going to be here if we re-sign him to the veteran minimum after cutting him in February.

Our cap condition is atrocious. We are conservatively going to be 20 to 30 million dollars over the cap. This factors all of the URFA, RFA tenders, and players who have huge cap hits.

Chadman
11-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Wasn't Chris Carter's combine stats comparable to Worilds as well?

fezziwig
11-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Harrison is only going to be here if we re-sign him to the veteran minimum after cutting him in February.

Our cap condition is atrocious. We are conservatively going to be 20 to 30 million dollars over the cap. This factors all of the URFA, RFA tenders, and players who have huge cap hits.

How did it get so out of hand ? I thought the Stelers always did well in this area ?

BigRob
11-26-2012, 06:15 PM
How did it get so out of hand ? I thought the Stelers always did well in this area ?

By doing something they never used to do in the name of the Superbowl chase: Sign players to a third contract and keeping players on the wrong side of 30.

Perfect storm of trying to keep a Superbowl team together as long as possible and the contraction of the cap after the lockout.

BigRob
11-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Wasn't Chris Carter's combine stats comparable to Worilds as well?

Yes. Carter ran a 4.62 forty with a 1.59 ten yard split. 2nd fastest D-lineman forty after Dontay Moch(4.4)

lloydroid
11-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Just ask James Harrison.

Woodley better watch his Ps and Qs: If he keeps getting injured (How many games has he missed since signing his big bonus?) and Worilds keeps this up, Woodley may get cut. Once it comes time to pay JW (if he keeps this up) it won't make any sense to pay both big $, unless Harrison is gone. Someone is going to be odd man out.

Snatch98
11-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Woodley better watch his Ps and Qs: If he keeps getting injured (How many games has he missed since signing his big bonus?) and Worilds keeps this up, Woodley may get cut. Once it comes time to pay JW (if he keeps this up) it won't make any sense to pay both big $, unless Harrison is gone. Someone is going to be odd man out.

Are you human? Woodley might get cut? Seriously?

BigRob
11-26-2012, 07:16 PM

Can't cut Woodley, he signed a huge deal and restructured last year. Cap hit would be prodigious.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Can't cut Woodley, he signed a huge deal and restructured last year. Cap hit would be prodigious.
Yup. Steelers are stuck with him for years, for better or worse.

BigRob
11-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Yup. Steelers are stuck with him for years, for better or worse.

He reminds me a lot of Terrell Suggs.

Suggs was very good early on, and then let his conditioning go and had a few mediocre injury ridden years. All of the sudden he wants paid again, gets in very good condition and goes on to win DPOY.

I think it was Keith Butler that said during pre-season the thing that was holding Lamarr back was his conditioning. If he was in the best shape of his life he would be unstoppable.

Gildon 2.0?

D Rock
11-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Would Woodley be any good playing at ROLB you think?

BigRob
11-26-2012, 09:11 PM
He's just not as dominate a run defender as Harrison. However, he may benefit from playing next to Keisel.

Chadman
11-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Only on a Steelers board would you ever find someone complaining that they are 'stuck' with LaMarr Woodley.

The dude is a beast. Injuries happen.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-26-2012, 10:09 PM
I for one am already on the OLB in the 1st and Harrison out for 2013 wagon. Worlds performance was a pleasant surprise but he will have to put a string of them together before I say he is the future.

Chadman
11-26-2012, 10:44 PM
I for one am already on the OLB in the 1st and Harrison out for 2013 wagon. Worlds performance was a pleasant surprise but he will have to put a string of them together before I say he is the future.

Oh Geez JPN...going to have to disagree with you! NT now that Ta'amu is gone, SS, FS & WR if Wallace moves on are surely higher priorities as there is no real progression plan for these spots.

Dee Dub
11-27-2012, 01:10 AM

Aldon Smith of the 49ers has 16.5 sacks already. And in this upcoming draft it seems loaded with Aldon Smith types. All quick of the edge, and long and lanky.

Bjoern Werner
Barkevious Mingo
Sam Montgomery
Damontre Moore
Dion Jordan
Alex Okafor
Jackson Jeffcoat (hurt but still could declare)
Corey Lemonier
Cornellius "Tank" Carradine ( he too is injured but still may declare)

RuthlessBurgher
11-27-2012, 01:19 AM
He's just not as dominate a run defender as Harrison. However, he may benefit from playing next to Keisel.

Keisel is the same age as Harrison. If you are thinking about moving Woodley to Harrison's spot when Harrison leaves, it doesn't matter if he'd benefit from playing next to Keisel, since Keisel would be on his way out as well around the same time that Harrison leaves.

RuthlessBurgher
11-27-2012, 01:21 AM
Oh Geez JPN...going to have to disagree with you! NT now that Ta'amu is gone, SS, FS & WR if Wallace moves on are surely higher priorities as there is no real progression plan for these spots.

Ta'Amu isn't exactly gone. He's on our practice squad right now. He'll be back in Latrobe again next year fighting for a roster spot. And since Hampton's contract is up after this season, I expect McLendon and Ta'Amu to split time at NT next year.

focosteeler
11-27-2012, 02:02 AM

Not gonna lie if Louis Nix III declares and is available for our 1st pick I would be happy.

Safety isnt elite but it is deep this year and I think good quality guys could be taken in rounds 2-4. I still think ILB is something we should do early. Good amount of guys coming out that play in a 3-4 system might shorten their learning period.

I think that the production from Wallace shows that we dont need a burner in this system. I think a mid round WR is best, this draft looks deep at WR. The FO has shown they know how to pick those guys, I think if they take one it will be middle draft.

Might be a dumb question, but do we get a comp pick for Willie Gay going to Arizona?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-27-2012, 01:19 PM

The news must be slow getting to you down there ;) Ta Amu is still here (PS) & McClendon is already playing better than Hampton. S is a big need but you have to look at the production to contract. Clark is still producing. Troy will still be here for 1 year. S is 1 year out but it will be addressed early because of the age of the starters. Harrison is done...period. They aren't paying him next year. There isn't any answer to date for his replacement. Wallace situation pending but Sanders is 2013 solution (RFA) if Wallace does depart. Very good draft for a pass rusher in the 1st. Not looking good in the 1st for a S or WR. As as right now, Reid may be the only S I would take Rd1 and I do not like any WR inside the top #25.

BigRob
11-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Keisel is the same age as Harrison. If you are thinking about moving Woodley to Harrison's spot when Harrison leaves, it doesn't matter if he'd benefit from playing next to Keisel, since Keisel would be on his way out as well around the same time that Harrison leaves.

Keisel will be in the Black and Gold next year on a Casey deal. He would get at least one year next to Keisel and probably Heyward or a draft pick after that.

grotonsteel
11-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Worilds surprised me with his play against Cleveland. He was brilliant.

Only question is can he play like that consistently??

BigRob
11-27-2012, 01:39 PM

Hopefully now that he is healthy. He will also be playing his natural position against Baltimore. If he does it against Osemele (rookie who struggles with speed) I will be very hopeful.

hawaiiansteel
11-27-2012, 02:16 PM

we're about to find out this Sunday as Worilds will be starting in place of the injured Woodley...

BigRob
11-27-2012, 03:11 PM
we're about to find out this Sunday as Worilds will be starting in place of the injured Woodley...

He will get tested, as the Ravens are not going to run the ball to Silver Backs side. Harrison had a really brilliant game against the run versus Cleveland.

Worilds will get the spotlight good or bad.

flippy
11-27-2012, 03:34 PM
He will get tested, as the Ravens are not going to run the ball to Silver Backs side. Harrison had a really brilliant game against the run versus Cleveland.

Worilds will get the spotlight good or bad.

KC ran right and had some success. They stretched the Steelers out and Harrison wasn't doing a good job in pursuit and I think he may have hurt us that week.

Baltimore couldn't run right because Harrison crashed down the line hard on backside pursuit. Rice had no cutback lane.

The Browns seemed to try to run both ways. And the runs I remember, I think they had more success running left directly at Harrison.

Harrison is most effective chasing the back from behind. I'd be surprised if Baltimore didn't try and run more at him.

Oviedo
11-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Curious how the two LBs who are demeaned the most on this site lead the team in sacks (Worilds) and interceptions (Timmons). And the ones who are worshiped the most have been the most mediocre.

BigRob
11-27-2012, 04:07 PM
KC ran right and had some success. They stretched the Steelers out and Harrison wasn't doing a good job in pursuit and I think he may have hurt us that week.

Baltimore couldn't run right because Harrison crashed down the line hard on backside pursuit. Rice had no cutback lane.

The Browns seemed to try to run both ways. And the runs I remember, I think they had more success running left directly at Harrison.

Harrison is most effective chasing the back from behind. I'd be surprised if Baltimore didn't try and run more at him.

James Harrison (+3.0) had himself a dominant game, especially when the Browns asked their tight ends to try to handle him one-on-one. He lined up to the offense’s left on every running play, and Cleveland had no success there — on runs outside the left tackle, Browns’ runners picked up precisely 0 yards on five attempts.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/27/refo-steelers-browns-week-12/

He seems to have had a pretty darn good game against Cleveland. Lets hope he keeps it up against the Ravens.

Dee Dub
11-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Not gonna lie if Louis Nix III declares and is available for our 1st pick I would be happy.

Safety isnt elite but it is deep this year and I think good quality guys could be taken in rounds 2-4. I still think ILB is something we should do early. Good amount of guys coming out that play in a 3-4 system might shorten their learning period.

I think that the production from Wallace shows that we dont need a burner in this system. I think a mid round WR is best, this draft looks deep at WR. The FO has shown they know how to pick those guys, I think if they take one it will be middle draft.

Might be a dumb question, but do we get a comp pick for Willie Gay going to Arizona?

Not this year for me. No run-stuffers unless it is Jonathan Hankins or Star Lotulelei. This year we need play makers. Guys that can cause turnovers and make splash plays.

Dee Dub
11-27-2012, 05:08 PM
The news must be slow getting to you down there ;) Ta Amu is still here (PS) & McClendon is already playing better than Hampton. S is a big need but you have to look at the production to contract. Clark is still producing. Troy will still be here for 1 year. S is 1 year out but it will be addressed early because of the age of the starters. Harrison is done...period. They aren't paying him next year. There isn't any answer to date for his replacement. Wallace situation pending but Sanders is 2013 solution (RFA) if Wallace does depart. Very good draft for a pass rusher in the 1st. Not looking good in the 1st for a S or WR. As as right now, Reid may be the only S I would take Rd1 and I do not like any WR inside the top #25.

What about if that receiver was Marqise Lee? He is a draft eligible sophomore. And right now, Steelers are drafting at #19. And that could drop even more, real soon.

There are some good safeties that could be had between rounds two and three this year. Tony Jefferson, Bacarri Rambo, and T.J. McDonald (yes--he has fallen some), Kenny Vaccaro, Zeke Motta, Shawn Williams (SS).

papillon
11-27-2012, 05:09 PM

I hope the Ravens believe they can run right at James, he is good at chasing down plays on the back side, but he is strong at the point of attack and stands up and/or sheds blockers as well. I have faith in Harrison; I hope they test him often. That's winning proposition for the Steelers, IMO.

Pappy

Chadman
11-27-2012, 05:59 PM

Well, how about that?- news is slow getting down here! Semi-glad Ta'amu is on the PS. Not convinced McLendon is anything more than a situational guy, and Chadman disagrees with McLendon outplaying Hampton. Hampton is down on previous years, but he's still ahead of his position rivals. Ta'amu is the one, if his head is on right. Might be a need to sign a mid-range FA to hold that spot after this year until Ta'amu plays well enough to win the spot.

Safety is a massive problem. MASSIVE. Troy is constantly hurt, and Clark is older than Troy. Behind them- Will Allen & Ryan Mundy.

Chadman likes Sanders. Really does. But he isn't an 'impact' WR like Wallace. If the Steelers lose Wallace, they will need that 'break the game open' type WR to replace him- and Brown & Sanders are more your 'move the chains' WR. So if Wallace goes- either a home-run hitting WR or a big target guy like Burress/T.O. will be required to make this offense hum.

BigRob
12-03-2012, 09:12 PM
This guy is really coming on now that he is finally healthy. 3rd year pro and he's just 24 years old.

hawaiiansteel
12-03-2012, 09:16 PM
This guy is really coming on now that he is finally healthy. 3rd year pro and he's just 24 years old.

now that he's healthy and starting to understand LeBeau's complex defensive schemes, which takes about 3 years...:stirpot

BigRob
12-03-2012, 09:31 PM
which takes about 3 years...:stirpot

Which is why they draft'em young. :stirpot

NJ-STEELER
12-03-2012, 11:02 PM

what did he play at michigan? left or right side

hawaiiansteel
12-03-2012, 11:07 PM
what did he play at michigan? left or right side

Woodley played predominantly on the right side at Michigan, maybe he could move back to the right and let Worilds play on the left.

"A relentless pass rusher who led the team in quarterback sacks in each of his last two seasons, Woodley was the heart and soul of one of the most dominant defensive lines in college football in 2006. Thanks to the play of Woodley and defensive tackle Alan Branch, the Wolverines led the nation in rush defense, allowing just 43.38 yards per game, and ranked fourth nationally with an average of 3.23 quarterback sacks per game.

Woodley's career came full circle during his time at Michigan. As a freshman, he played on the defensive line as a rush end, moving to right outside linebacker as a sophomore and junior. As a senior, he returned to the defensive line at right end."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/424119

NJ-STEELER
12-03-2012, 11:17 PM
i thought i remembered him being on the right side. just wasnt sure if they moved him around.

if harrsion isnt back, i think they would have to consider it

Djfan
12-03-2012, 11:35 PM
I just can't believe the quickness that some of you are using to throw Harrison out with the trash. He may be a cap casualty, but he still looks to have gas in the tank.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-04-2012, 09:43 AM
I just can't believe the quickness that some of you are using to throw Harrison out with the trash. He may be a cap casualty, but he still looks to have gas in the tank.

Earlier this season, several on this board were saying Harrison was through...:lol:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Well, how about that?- news is slow getting down here! Semi-glad Ta'amu is on the PS. Not convinced McLendon is anything more than a situational guy, and Chadman disagrees with McLendon outplaying Hampton. Hampton is down on previous years, but he's still ahead of his position rivals. Ta'amu is the one, if his head is on right. Might be a need to sign a mid-range FA to hold that spot after this year until Ta'amu plays well enough to win the spot.

Safety is a massive problem. MASSIVE. Troy is constantly hurt, and Clark is older than Troy. Behind them- Will Allen & Ryan Mundy.

Chadman likes Sanders. Really does. But he isn't an 'impact' WR like Wallace. If the Steelers lose Wallace, they will need that 'break the game open' type WR to replace him- and Brown & Sanders are more your 'move the chains' WR. So if Wallace goes- either a home-run hitting WR or a big target guy like Burress/T.O. will be required to make this offense hum.

Hampton is quickly becoming a liabilty on defense. Teams trap him on the field. Hampton was getting reached by Mack against the Browns. Reached...That is not a sign of a good NT. Mack is good but I saw Mack reach Hampton and drive him away from the play. I seldom saw combination blocks because he was handled 1 on 1 even when he gapped to the play. Hampton is at best average right now. He gives you a handful of plays that shows the old Hampton. That is only when he is in the game and he looks at the sticks. DC's aren't that stupid & they know enough to give him attention on those plays. Hampton would be best served as a sitautional NT. 3rd & 3 or less or when the defense is playing from behind. Hampton used to be a guy who took a handful of plays off because of his conditioning. Now he is a guy who gives you a handful of plays that make you remember who he used to be.

McClendon is playing better than Hampton. McClendon has push in the pass and gets down the LOS much better. He commands a combination block when he gaps playside. His long arms allows him to play off his blocks & be a factor disengaging when they run outside the tackles. If McClendon had Hampton's snap count, you wouldn't be so high on Hampton.

I agree with you about Ta'amu. If he has no more incidents he will be the future.

I have said S is a need. This draft is heavy in the 2nd-3rd range for S. I don't think there is a real 1st round talent at S. Maybe Reid but if I don't peg him now...I more than likely won't change my mind. Safety is about 1 year out for a starter. Clark is playing at a high level. Troy will be here at least in 2013. Injuries has got a S on the field here alot over the last couple years but the Steelers seem to make due. One in the waiting in this draft. I wouldn't say a 1st though.

OLB is a bigger need if Harrison is gone. I expect he will be. Worilds is coming on but he has to finish strong in 2012 for me to crown him as a future star. This draft looks loaded at pass rushers in the 1st. IF Harrison is cut, that will be one of the top priorities. When Woodley or Harrison has missed...Nobody stood out. When Harrison & Woodley were both on the field this year...Woodley was given attention because Harrison was just average at rushing the QB.

I am a huge fan of Wallace and what he does. I don't want him to go anywhere. I am one who still would like them to franchise him regardless of the struggles this year. Make him play to his potential on the tag. Only would benefit the Steelers. This is something the Steelers could control and avoid creating this need in the draft. As for Sanders, he will be retained in 2013. If Wallace isn't tagged or doesn't sign a long term deal...I'm not to sure the Steelers would go WR in the 1st because of that. The Steelers may look at a WR in rounds 2-4. Their scouting department has been pretty good pegging WR in the mid & late rounds as of late. I don't see a WR early unless he is an underclassman who could be a real gamechanger. I just see too much attention of defense right now.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Well it is week 13 and I'm still saying Harrison is through. "Gas in the tank" doesn't equate to $10 mil in 2013. Just saying someone is done isn't disrespecting him. It is the reality of the situation. He will be 35 & making 10 mil. His production doesn't equal his paycheck. His monies are needed to continue to build the core. "Just-Bidness" ;) He will be missed.

Oviedo
12-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Well it is week 13 and I'm still saying Harrison is through. "Gas in the tank" doesn't equate to $10 mil in 2013. Just saying someone is done isn't disrespecting him. It is the reality of the situation. He will be 35 & making 10 mil. His production doesn't equal his paycheck. His monies are needed to continue to build the core. "Just-Bidness" ;) He will be missed.

Harrison isn't playing any better than Worilds and making much, much more money. As JPN said, he isn't earning a $10M paycheck with his play.

Sugar
12-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Harrison isn't playing any better than Worilds and making much, much more money. As JPN said, he isn't earning a $10M paycheck with his play.

The season isn't over yet...

Chadman
12-04-2012, 11:33 PM
How far over the Cap are the Steelers next season?

Savings will have to come from somewhere. Harrison, Hampton, Polamalu, Mendenhall... Ike Taylor? Keisel? Foote?

How many of these guys have jobs on the line?

RuthlessBurgher
12-05-2012, 01:09 AM

Harrison has really stepped up his game over the last 3 games (he's had a sack in each of them).
Plus, he has accumulated 24 total tackles in those last 3 games.
I'm glad to see Worilds showing promise as a pass rusher, but for comparison's sake, Worilds has 23 total tackles all season.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Harrison-Cut before June 1st. (5 mil savings in 2013)

Hampton-gone (No current contract for 2013)

Polamalu-When healthy, still plays at high level. He will be one who retructures his base to bonus to free up money. (Pos. 2-3 mil in 2013)

Mendy- If he is smart, he signs a 1 year with the Steelers to increase his value for his next contract or Steelers will get him at a bargain long term. The way that Dwyer is coming on & Mendy in the dog house....I think he is gone.

Taylor- Good canidate to retructure his base to bonus to free up money to lock up Lewis long term. His injury could really open up options as Allen, Brown, & DVD see the field. They may find out they can move on without him. Restructure and gone after 2013. (Pos. 2-3 mil for 2013)

Keisel- 2013 is his last contract year at 4.5 mil. Still playing well.

Foote-No contract for 2013. May be brought back at 1 year vet min & may not make it through camp.

Just in cutting Harrison & restructure the above you could create 9-11 mil.

Other possibilties?

Roethlisberger-BB cap hit in 2013 is 20.5 mil. He is signed through 2015. I expect something to happen to his contract. For example, convert 6 mil of his base in 2013 to bonus and spread over 3 years. That will free up 4 mil for 2013 and put his avg over the last three years at 16.5, 17.8, & 17.4. Puts the Steelers in a pretty good situation after the 2013 season with options on BB.

Miller-Signed through 2014 with a 7.9 mil cap hit each year. Could be a canidate for 1 year extension or converting base. He proved his value.

Woodley & Timmons-One of them will convert base to bonus for 2013. I would assume it will be Woodley in 2013. There is 4-6 mil savings for 2013.

I know people don't like the "dead money" issue but Khan's dealing still creates net cap savings off of cuts while creating dead money. As long as BB is here, they will "mortgage" what they have to into future years to continue to keep people in place. Don't think of it as a bad evaluation of talent & wasted money....It is just a loan on a future cap space to keep players together. The business side of the NFL is a double edge sword. If you draft well you may have to pay many players in a short period to continue to get a return on the investment. It is very clear this league is built on QBs. When you are sitting on a franchise guy you make your run. Does it all catch up to you? It can if you don't continue to draft well. There will come a time here over the next 5 years where the Steelers "torch" will be passed and that $$$$$ that is set aside for the QB & core and money that was "borrowed" on future caps will have to wash each other out. The question is...DO the Steelers draft well and have young players in place to stay competitive during the transition? Looking good at most positions but I see a QB here in the up coming years being the Key to creating that bridge.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Harrison has really stepped up his game over the last 3 games (he's had a sack in each of them).
I'm glad to see Worilds showing promise as a pass rusher, but for comparison's sake, Worilds has 23 total tackles all season.

Harrison has been playing better but he isn't anything close to the Harrison that commands attention. If you take away his "splash play" of the strip sack against the Ravens...How noticable has he really been? Not just beating up on him, Woodley & Worilds hasn't been that noticeable either. Give that strip sack to Worilds on Sunday & we are talking about him really coming on. I do remember Worilds pressuring Flacco twice getting inside with a nice spin move and also hanging on Flacco when he got the ball away right before he fell. I also heard Simms say that Harrison has taken Worilds under his wings in the weight room. That is excellent news! The only LB that has been screaming "Look at Me" is Timmons & I commend him for it.

For comparison sake by numbers: Harrison has had 40% more snaps on defense (538 to 324) than Worilds. Harrison has also started 9 games to Worilds 2. The both started out injured & are coming on. By those numbers, Worilds is getting a tackle every 14 snaps & a sack every 65 snaps. Harrison is getting a tackle every 11 snaps & a sack every 134 snaps. Give Worilds 538 snaps & his numbers are 38 tackles & 8 sacks.

So just say Worilds started the last 4 games of the season. The defensive snap average is right around that 60-65 number. Worilds could be at 42 tackles & 10 sacks by the end of week 17. Harrison could be at 71 tackles & 6 sacks by the end of week 17. If you use their numbers on a 16 game season on an 60 defensive snap avg: Worilds totals 69 tackles & 15 sacks. Harrison totals 87 tackles & 7 sacks. Is 87-7 worth 10 mil next year at 35 years old with young talent at other positions needing long term deals? I say absolutely not. I luv Silverback & will miss him! I would pay that kind of coin for a 69-15 every year.

I know I would love to see what Worilds does down the stretch. If he is the future star they thought he could be, that will make OLB a "secondary" priority in the 2013 draft. That would really help out the situation. I'm not sold on Worilds just yet...But I am sold on Harrison only have a max of 8 games left as a Steeler.

phillyesq
12-05-2012, 02:06 PM

And that is just what shows up in the stat sheet. Harrison has an impact on the whole defense -- Timmons in particular has played much better since Harrison returned.

phillyesq
12-05-2012, 02:18 PM

For what, 3 years now, you've been declaring the end is here for James Harrison. He has been, and continues to be, one of the best players on a successful defense.

I like Worilds as well - I thought he played well last year, but why the need to put down Harrison?