PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mr. Wallace

chiken
11-25-2012, 08:27 PM
let me get this right.
You cannot catch the ball in traffic
If you cannot run past the defender you cannot get open
you cannot get open if an elite qb is not pulling the trigger.
You cannot play with any kind of energy
You cannot be effective against cover 2
but you do lead a team is ranked near the bottom in red zone scoring in td's

Am I missing something? how much is this suppose to be worth?

Dee Dub
11-25-2012, 08:52 PM
...you arent going to get anything straight of you can't understand the fact that Batch under threw him twice on deep balls, several times threw behind him, and also under threw him in the flat/sidelines a few times. But hey...hate all you want. When your QB throws a blistering 19 MPH and it is a wobbling duck that dies have way to you what do you expect?

Funny, I saw Mike Wallace get behind the secondary twice today. Any halfway descent QB has two TD's on those. But it's all Wallace's fault.

Mike Wallace was a 3rd round pick from a not so major University What I see is a player who has gone way beyond the original expectations for him.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-25-2012, 09:09 PM
its a waste of time dub.

wallace will be blamed for every steeler loss from here on out.

flippy
11-25-2012, 09:14 PM
...you arent going to get anything straight of you can't understand the fact that Batch under threw him twice on deep balls, several times threw behind him, and also under threw him in the flat/sidelines a few times. But hey...hate all you want. When your QB throws a blistering 19 MPH and it is a wobbling duck that dies have way to you what do you expect?

Funny, I saw Mike Wallace get behind the secondary twice today. Any halfway descent QB has two TD's on those. But it's all Wallace's fault.

Mike Wallace was a 3rd round pick from a not so major University What I see is a player who has gone way beyond the original expectations for him.

On both of the underthrows, Wally got his head around and saw the ball in the air and kept running. Maybe he's so fast he can't adjust? Lots of WRs can adjust and do. Or they at least make an attempt.

Charlie underthrew Plax in the endzone and Plax had no chance at the ball, but he fought and flailed to draw PI and set up a TD. That's all we need from Wally. Just try to come back and even if you don't have a chance at the ball go for the PI. I think it was the second one that the DB saw the ball after Wally and he was able to adjust even though he was chasing.

It is what it is. Adjusting to the ball in the air isn't Wally's thing. He's kinda like the Ike Taylor of WRs. A great athlete. Supremely talented. But a little lost when the ball's in the air. He does a lot of things well but isn't perfect.

And I do think everyone would overlook his imperfections if he looked like he was trying every play. I do think he tries on every play he thinks he can make an impact. But on the ones he doesn't, he doesn't.

Is it frustration? A lack of confidence? I dunno.

Last week he was blocking his tail off. Sometimes he does. Sometimes he doesn't. I can't always figure out Wally.

chiken
11-25-2012, 09:33 PM
see guys that's the thing about the long bomb and Wallace. if he is not completely open, chances are he wont come down with it. He will not take it away from anyone, he does not fight for it, he wont jump for it, and he rarely adjusts if its not perfect. yes the ball was under thrown, Batch at this point in his career has no chance of really getting it out there so basically that took Wallace out the game. So what good is having an elite wide receiver that is only elite at one thing.
I am not hating on him, just saying that his effort if it aint easy isn't worth a wooden nickel.

Snatch98
11-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Yea today was not Mike's fault, not even close. I also think he handled himself in a very professional manner in the post game interview where he was being asked a LOAD of really fvcking dumb questions. I don't think Mike Wallace is without heart, I just think things have been a little different and he's been passed in the pecking order. I also think that his down year and a dose of "reality" will bring his asking price down and he'll remain a Steeler. We're going to see some big cuts again this coming offseason and the money will be there to sign a Brown like deal. If and when Ben returns healthy I think he'll reaffirm his position in the good graces of Steeler Nation.

papillon
11-25-2012, 09:41 PM
At this point I'd like to keep Wallace, but it doesn't look good. The Steelers cap space is a dire situation and fitting a 8, 9 or 10 million dollar contract under the cap will be difficult. And, Wallace's best friend is making a case for a nice contract in the off season. If I had to pick between Wallace and Lewis I'd pay Lewis and go looking for another WR in the draft. Colleges are churning out WRs that can contribute in the NFL at a high rate, because of the pass happy rules. Corner backs on the other hand are difficult to find, groom and get into the lineup.

I'd like to keep both, but given a choice I'd take Lewis right now, he's playing lights out football.

Pappy

Mister Pittsburgh
11-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Tomlin blasted Wallace in his post game interview saying he gave up on a play....I guess Tomlin doesn't understand how awesome Wallace is either...

SidSmythe
11-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Tomlin blasted Wallace in his post game interview saying he gave up on a play....I guess Tomlin doesn't understand how awesome Wallace is either...

Good... b/c Wallace is an ALL or Nothing type of guy. He would rather try to maintain his extra step on an underthrown ball than to try to keep the defender from making a play on the ball. You can't expect a QB to have his deep timing down after 1 week of playing.

Oviedo
11-25-2012, 11:13 PM
On the first underthrow that hit Ward in the back of the head if Wallace just moves towards the ball Ward is going to run over him and it is a pass interference call because Ward never looked for the ball. He has to attack those balls and make those kind of smart moves if he ever really wants to be among the best.

chiken
11-25-2012, 11:17 PM
OMG thank you OViedo..

NorthCoast
11-25-2012, 11:26 PM
On the first underthrow that hit Ward in the back of the head if Wallace just moves towards the ball Ward is going to run over him and it is a pass interference call because Ward never looked for the ball. He has to attack those balls and make those kind of smart moves if he ever really wants to be among the best.

I said as much in another post. The Browns defensive backs have been flagged mercilessly this season for PIs. If any of the Steelers WR could make moves for the ball, it would have been good for a couple of PIs. The only one that figured that out today was 'old man' Burress.

AkronSteel
11-25-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm done with Mike as a Steeler. He truly is the one-trick pony his coach said he was. He cannot and will not make a play on the ball if there is anyone around him. I just don't understand how that works. He got outplayed for a ball by a CB today and made no effort on the deep ball that hit Ward in the head. Everyone says that the ball that was picked off was behind him but he is a WR that is asking for a major deal. You have to make that play to legitimize things. C'mon now...the Steelers have no choice but to resign Lewis at this point and that will mean there is no room for Mike under the salary cap and I'm fine with that. WR's can be found in the draft and the Steelers will have a top 3 before the draft of Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery! That's not terrible!! It's time for the team and the player to move on to greener pastures. BTW, take Spindenhall with you!!!

hawaiiansteel
11-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Dear Mr. Wallace,

you and your agent should have accepted the Steelers' final contract offer.

steelz09
11-26-2012, 12:08 AM
If Wallace didn't hold out for elite money then he wouldn't get this type of criticism.

The facts about wallace based on everyone that watches him play:

He's very, very fast. With his speed alone, he can make a 10 yard reception into an 80 yard touchdown.
He can take the top off of coverage.
He has elite speed.
He doesn't have elite hands.
He doesn't fight for the ball.
Catches the ball if it's dropped in his breadbasket but doesn't make great catches in traffic.
Can show lack of effort at times.

All things considered.... He's not an elite WR in my mind and he's not an elite a WR in *most* GM's minds. I'd be shocked if he's a steeler next year.

feltdizz
11-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Good... b/c Wallace is an ALL or Nothing type of guy. He would rather try to maintain his extra step on an underthrown ball than to try to keep the defender from making a play on the ball. You can't expect a QB to have his deep timing down after 1 week of playing.

lol.... Wallace is more concerned with wining the race then catching the ball...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-26-2012, 09:38 AM

Shouldn't we assume the WR coaches are trying to teach Wallace that skill, but he is unable to learn it?

Jooser
11-26-2012, 09:50 AM
I have been critical of Wallace at times this season, but to try to blame him for Pi$$ poor throws by Batch is just about as backwards as it gets. You are paying Wallace for his blistering speed, to run past defenders and get open and catch the homerun ball. He DID just that. He got open, but the ancient QB under threw him by 5-10 yards. And you want to blast him for now stopping and coming back for the ball? The defenders were in a better position to to make a play because they were beaten and trailing Mike and the ball was thrown to THEM, not MIKE. Come on guys, it's frustrating, but try to see things for what they are. Batch couldn't even throw a spiral in the first half and he has no arm left. Where's your Mr. Batch, you need to retire letter?

JAR
11-26-2012, 09:52 AM
The last Steeler that PO'd me as much as Wallace was Kent Graham. Good bye Mike, you aren't Steelers material.

squidkid
11-26-2012, 10:21 AM
I have been critical of Wallace at times this season, but to try to blame him for Pi$$ poor throws by Batch is just about as backwards as it gets. You are paying Wallace for his blistering speed, to run past defenders and get open and catch the homerun ball. He DID just that. He got open, but the ancient QB under threw him by 5-10 yards. And you want to blast him for now stopping and coming back for the ball? The defenders were in a better position to to make a play because they were beaten and trailing Mike and the ball was thrown to THEM, not MIKE. Come on guys, it's frustrating, but try to see things for what they are. Batch couldn't even throw a spiral in the first half and he has no arm left. Where's your Mr. Batch, you need to retire letter?

i could have swore that a lot of the wallace lovers that wanted to 'pay the man' stated that he has developed into a complete receiver. wallace runs all the routes. goes across the middle. runs the short stuff. plays the slot. they claim that he is more than just a one trick pony and that tomlin uses that as a term of endearment with wallace.

Shawn
11-26-2012, 10:29 AM
its a waste of time dub.

wallace will be blamed for every steeler loss from here on out.

Wallace has been playing half hearted...it's pretty obvious. That is what I have a hard time dealing with...talent who refuses to play at 100% because he feels he is underpaid.

SidSmythe
11-26-2012, 10:46 AM
lol.... Wallace is more concerned with winning the race then catching the ball...

I can somehow picture him going to the sidelines and bragging about how he BLEW RIGHT BY those guys..
Getting timing on deep throws takes time and practice....until then you gotta break stride and jump for the ball or at least knock it down

flippy
11-26-2012, 11:32 AM
I can somehow picture him going to the sidelines and bragging about how he BLEW RIGHT BY those guys..

Wally: Hey Ben. Hey Ben. You saw me run right by those guys right.

Ben: Yes Mike you were fast.

Wally: That's right I'm fast. You might want to mention it to Charlie for me. I'm an elite WR and only talk to elite players.

Ben: Roger that Mike.

Wally: Hey Coach. Hey Coach. You might wanna remind Mr Rooney I ran by those guys right there.

Mike T: Should I tell him you ran by the ball too?

Wally: Yep, you tell him Charlie's a limp wristed chump and I'm the greatest WR ever. With a good QB I woulda scored and you know it coach.

Mike T: So you ran by the ball on purpose.

Wally: Yep so you can see why Young Money needs to see it rain.

Mike T: Anything else you want me to tell him.

Wally: Yeah coach, yeah. Tell him that an Elite WR needs an Elite QB. And if Mr Rooney wants to get the best out of his investment, give me Ben's contract and then go get Aaron Rodgers to throw me the ball.

Mike T: You want me to tell Mr Rooney to get rid of Ben.

Wally: Yep.

Mike T: You one trick crazy.

Wally: And tell him I need an elite coach. Elite WRs need Elite coaches.

Mike T: Let me run that by him.

Wally: Yeah. Yeah. That's it. Tell Mr Rooney I run right by him too.

RuthlessBurgher
11-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Flippy needs to start an elite WR Facebook conversation to rival the elite QB Facebook conversation.

http://www.brobible.com/files/uploads/images/sports/sportshumor/NFL-QB-Facebook-conversation-2.jpg

steelblood
11-26-2012, 11:58 AM

Yes, he's gone beyond expectations. And, I agree that he is not to blame for the loss. He didn't play well, but we also missed opportunities to get him the ball when he did get open.

However, Wallace has never high-pointed the ball well nor drawn interference through body position well. It hardly matters where Wallace came from at this point. He has been in the league for 4 years. He should be improving in these areas.

I'm a Wallace fan. I like him. He seems like a good guy personally. Still, some simple tweaks to his game could yield big results and lead to us winning more games. I'm disappointed that he is not more aggressive when the ball is in the air.

Jooser
11-26-2012, 02:15 PM
I still don't understand how you break off a deep route while running full speed past the defense and are some how responsible for coming back to an under thrown ball by about 5- 10 yards and beat a defender who already has position on you because the pass was that bad. This borders on laughable at some point to blame the WR for a QBs ineptitude.

hawaiiansteel
11-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Wally: Hey Ben. Hey Ben. You saw me run right by those guys right.

Ben: Yes Mike you were fast.

Wally: That's right I'm fast. You might want to mention it to Charlie for me. I'm an elite WR and only talk to elite players.

Ben: Roger that Mike.

Wally: Hey Coach. Hey Coach. You might wanna remind Mr Rooney I ran by those guys right there.

Mike T: Should I tell him you ran by the ball too?

Wally: Yep, you tell him Charlie's a limp wristed chump and I'm the greatest WR ever. With a good QB I woulda scored and you know it coach.

Mike T: So you ran by the ball on purpose.

Wally: Yep so you can see why Young Money needs to see it rain.

Mike T: Anything else you want me to tell him.

Wally: Yeah coach, yeah. Tell him that an Elite WR needs an Elite QB. And if Mr Rooney wants to get the best out of his investment, give me Ben's contract and then go get Aaron Rodgers to throw me the ball.

Mike T: You want me to tell Mr Rooney to get rid of Ben.

Wally: Yep.

Mike T: You one trick crazy.

Wally: And tell him I need an elite coach. Elite WRs need Elite coaches.

Mike T: Let me run that by him.

Wally: Yeah. Yeah. That's it. Tell Mr Rooney I run right by him too.

you crack me up flippy...:D

ikestops85
11-26-2012, 05:42 PM

Sorry Jooser but I'm the complete opposite of you. I'm normally a Wallace defender but in a game where players have to step it up due to all the injuries this team has he was very lackadasical. Wallace, as the receiver, is the first to see the ball in the air. If he can't put the brakes on and then use his supposed high vertical leaping ability to at least knock the ball down he needs to re-evaluate the class of receiver he is. Maybe he ought to watch some tapes of a guy who was a master at that ... Randy Moss. He often would slow up and then out jump the defender for the ball.

I've never thought of Wallace as "elite" but I did think he was the next level down. He was starting to run all the routes and make all the plays but this year he has seriously declined. I don't recall him ever dropping as many passes as he has this year. Hell, I didn't even blame him for not making a play on the ball Lefty short-hopped to him last week. But this week, when we needed people to step up, he didn't catch the short pass a little behind him that was intercepted and the two deep balls he didn't fight for. He HAS to do better if he wants to stay on this team. Otherwise start Sanders and Brown (when healthy) and use Wallace as the 3rd receiver like in his rookie year.

flippy
11-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Yeah Wally needed to soup can the Browns DBs. Elite WRs can eat soup off guys heads too.

Jooser
11-26-2012, 06:45 PM
I agree the the pass he dropped was on him. But guys, the long ball wasn't just a little short, it was very short. Charlie Batch took full responsibility for that one. The momentum is on the side of the defenders because they didn't have to adjust and put the brakes on like Wallace would've had to. He would have needed a 6 foot vertical to win that one after changing direction and losing all of his momentum.

flippy
11-26-2012, 07:04 PM
I agree the the pass he dropped was on him. But guys, the long ball wasn't just a little short, it was very short. Charlie Batch took full responsibility for that one. The momentum is on the side of the defenders because they didn't have to adjust and put the brakes on like Wallace would've had to. He would have needed a 6 foot vertical to win that one after changing direction and losing all of his momentum.

No soup for Jooser. :)

Jooser
11-26-2012, 07:08 PM
50 shades of soup! :eek:

NorthCoast
11-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Sometimes much more is expected of the No. 1 WR than the others. Wallace wants to be paid like a No. 1 WR and he has been No. 1 for the last few games. Problem is, many of us are not seeing No. 1 play out of the guy. That's the bottom line.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Sometimes much more is expected of the No. 1 WR than the others. Wallace wants to be paid like a No. 1 WR and he has been No. 1 for the last few games. Problem is, many of us are not seeing No. 1 play out of the guy. That's the bottom line.
The last few weeks, he hasn't even put forth the effort of a No. 4.

hawaiiansteel
11-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Ed Bouchette @ ‏EdBouchette:

A more stunning changein #Steelers depth chart: At one WR, Tomlin lists Wallace OR Sanders. First time that's happened.

Brown at other WR

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette/status/273464727093514241

steelz09
11-27-2012, 02:15 PM

A more stunning changein #Steelers depth chart: At one WR, Tomlin lists Wallace OR Sanders. First time that's happened.

Brown at other WR

I saw that too.

Tomlin must be really pissed and I'm glad he's setting an example here. He also demoted Mendenhall to 3rd string.

Oviedo
11-27-2012, 03:50 PM
handwriting is on the wall and it says "Goodbye Mr. Walace." No way the Steelers pay him top dollar unless he really has a huge end to the season and play off. Like I have said many times before, the FO made the decision there was only one $8M per year contract for WR. Wallace was given first shot at it and he spit on it. Brown took it an will stay long term.

squidkid
11-27-2012, 03:51 PM
I saw that too.

Tomlin must be really pissed and I'm glad he's setting an example here. He also demoted Mendenhall to 3rd string.

an example would be benching him, not making some assinine 'co-starter' comment 5 days before the game......like wallace gives a frick about being moved to tied on the depth chart

lloydroid
11-27-2012, 04:24 PM

Wow. Delusional. Was it all MW's fault? No. Did he show signs of being a wussy and not giving any where close to a full effort? Only a blind man couldn't see that. How obvious does it have to get for the MW apologizers? Dear Lord, his play is not any where near defensible. Not even close. The guy simply does not try. That is unacceptable. I can't wait until his butt is out of Pgh. Can't wait. And take Mendenhall with him, please; two worthless players.

lloydroid
11-27-2012, 04:28 PM

Brown at other WR

Thank God. Long overdue in my opinion, but at least Tomlin is finally doing SOMETHING about MW not putting forth any effort. It's about time. I would have gone further than that. It looks like MT is sending a "maybe" signal on who starts. I'd flat out state that ES is the starter, period. Why sugar coat it and make it vague?

lloydroid
11-27-2012, 04:29 PM
The last few weeks, he hasn't even put forth the effort of a No. 4.

Agreed! Most 4th WRs would offer more production if given the chance, because they would actually TRY...something Wall-Ass isn't doing. F him.

lloydroid
11-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Dear Mr. Wallace,

you and your agent should have accepted the Steelers' final contract offer.

Not only that, but, having chose to not take the deal, you should have put in some effort and produced since you are playing for your next deal. How stupid is that guy? I mean, reject a deal only to put forth as much effort as a turd? He has to be as dumb as a bag of hammers. No other way to decipher it.

hawaiiansteel
11-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Wallace unfazed by demotion

Posted via CBSSports.com

Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace did not seem to be too fazed by being demoted on the team's depth chart heading into Week 13 against the Ravens. Wallace, who as listed as a co-starter along with WR Emmanuel Sanders Tuesday, said that coach Mike Tomlin does "everything for a reason" and added that he didn't know who will start come Sunday.

"It really doesn't matter. I am still going to be in the football game." Wallace will be facing a Ravens defense that is allowing an average of 244 passing yards per contest. Baltimore has surrendered nine touchdowns through the air while yielding an average of 20 Fantasy points to opposing WRs, which ranks 12th overall. "I am not doing how I expected," Wallace said. "I had back-to-back 1,000-yard receiving seasons, so I don't feel like I am making enough plays this season. Anybody that doesn't produce is going to be frustrated. I am not different from anyone else when they don't do what they are expected to do. It's frustrating."

http://www.fantasysp.com/nfl_player_news/Mike_Wallace/#ixzz2DeVnJ86h

Oviedo
11-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Wallace unfazed by demotion

Posted via CBSSports.com

Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace did not seem to be too fazed by being demoted on the team's depth chart heading into Week 13 against the Ravens. Wallace, who as listed as a co-starter along with WR Emmanuel Sanders Tuesday, said that coach Mike Tomlin does "everything for a reason" and added that he didn't know who will start come Sunday.

"It really doesn't matter. I am still going to be in the football game." Wallace will be facing a Ravens defense that is allowing an average of 244 passing yards per contest. Baltimore has surrendered nine touchdowns through the air while yielding an average of 20 Fantasy points to opposing WRs, which ranks 12th overall. "I am not doing how I expected," Wallace said. "I had back-to-back 1,000-yard receiving seasons, so I don't feel like I am making enough plays this season. Anybody that doesn't produce is going to be frustrated. I am not different from anyone else when they don't do what they are expected to do. It's frustrating."

http://www.fantasysp.com/nfl_player_news/Mike_Wallace/#ixzz2DeVnJ86h

"Unfazed" because he doesn't care!!!! Don't want to be frustrated then freakin do something and put some effort out. He is just playing out the season.