PDA

View Full Version : Ben expected to return for Ravens II?

ROLROC
11-22-2012, 04:02 PM
According to La Canfora...Ben expected back week 13

(http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/21094429/the-nfl-today-williams-reinstatement-a-growing-issue-in-bounty-hearings)

Oviedo
11-23-2012, 08:47 AM
The guy was in a sling last Sunday and now he is going to be slinging a ball around next Sunday. No freakin way! If he comes back he won't be effective.

fezziwig
11-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Maybe have him in as a backup to Charlie and if only needed. I want to see Ben be able to enjoy his old age and I also don't want to see a guy that looked as if he escaped traction to come out and play football as Ben did last season.

Oviedo
11-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Maybe have him in as a backup to Charlie and if only needed. I want to see Ben be able to enjoy his old age and I also don't want to see a guy that looked as if he escaped traction to come out and play football as Ben did last season.

Exactly. Just rewatch the 49ers game last year to remember why this would be a terrible idea.

SDSteel1
11-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Maybe he wasn't that injured to begin with. We pay the guy $100 million to play QB, why would anyone care if he enjoys his old age? If you want him to enjoy his old age he probably should have played baseball. If he is using his arm with no pain, as reported he should play immediately..it's his job.

Oviedo
11-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Maybe he wasn't that injured to begin with. We pay the guy $100 million to play QB, why would anyone care if he enjoys his old age? If you want him to enjoy his old age he probably should have played baseball. If he is using his arm with no pain, as reported he should play immediately..it's his job.

Like I said, rewatch last year's 49ers game and you see how poorly he played trying to force it when he was clearly too hurt. I could care less if these guys have aches and pains 20 years from now, heck I sure do. What I am concerend about is putting him out there and having him underperform and lose a game or us lose the most importnat player on the team because he can't do what he does when healthy.

SDSteel1
11-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Like I said, rewatch last year's 49ers game and you see how poorly he played trying to force it when he was clearly too hurt. I could care less if these guys have aches and pains 20 years from now, heck I sure do. What I am concerend about is putting him out there and having him underperform and lose a game or us lose the most importnat player on the team because he can't do what he does when healthy.

Last year he had a leg injury, so he was unable to move around the pocket. It made him a sitting duck. If he can't throw he shouldn't play, but if he can throw at 50-75% he is a better option than anything else we have to win. He knows the offense better than any other QB available, and if he can walk he is a better option than Batch. Just the fact that Tomlin played Lefty with broken ribs and a separated shoulder and didn't put Batch in there last week should tell you that. Why do you think Ben toughed it out last year? Because there is no other option if we want to win. Don't believe the early hype you heard regarding the injuries, he took his game off, and if he says he is ready, play him.

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2012, 02:48 PM
if he can throw at 50-75% he is a better option than anything else we have to win.

Leftwich has an absolute cannon for an arm, but by the final drive the Baltimore game, he was throwing at 50-75% due to the assorted injuries he sustained turning that game (which, coincidentally, were to the ribs and shoulder, like Ben). We saw what happened there...David Gilreath was WIDE OPEN downfield on a third and long that would have have put them in FG range to tie, and Leftwich shorthopped him by nearly 10 yards. I don't want another QB in there this week throwing at 50-75% (now, 80-90% might be another story). In this Haley offense, which features quick decisions on short-to-intermediate routes, let's see what ol' Batch can do...it seems like a seasoned vet like this should be alright with that scheme.

SDSteel1
11-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Leftwich has an absolute cannon for an arm, but by the final drive the Baltimore game, he was throwing at 50-75% due to the assorted injuries he sustained turning that game (which, coincidentally, were to the ribs and shoulder, like Ben). We saw what happened there...David Gilreath was WIDE OPEN downfield on a third and long that would have have put them in FG range to tie, and Leftwich shorthopped him by nearly 10 yards. I don't want another QB in there this week throwing at 50-75% (now, 80-90% might be another story). In this Haley offense, which features quick decisions on short-to-intermediate routes, let's see what ol' Batch can do...it seems like a seasoned vet like this should be alright with that scheme.

But do we even know if he has a problem with the shoulder and throwing, or is it the dislocated rib that could pierce his aorta?

AkronSteel
11-23-2012, 05:41 PM
From what I've heard the rib is the bigger problem and as long as Ben is cleared to play then let's get him on the field. I could care less if Ben can walk in 20 years or not. Does anyone know what Jerome Bettis has to go through every day just to get out of bed? It's definitely not a treat! My point is though that we don't know or care what it takes to get the Bus out of the garage all we care about is if we win this upcoming Sunday. I love the old guys but they are in my memory after they have retired. I say if he is ready to go and can practice during the week then get him out there because this team is good enough to go for it!

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2012, 05:51 PM
But do we even know if he has a problem with the shoulder and throwing, or is it the dislocated rib that could pierce his aorta?

Even though the dislocated rib is the more serious issue overall, I think seeing Ben on the sidelines during the Baltimore game with a sling still on a week later means the shoulder is still an issue as well.

Sugar
11-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Even though the dislocated rib is the more serious issue overall, I think seeing Ben on the sidelines during the Baltimore game with a sling still on a week later means the shoulder is still an issue as well.

Aww... he just needs to spray some Windex on it and it'll be OK.

SDSteel1
11-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Aww... he just needs to spray some Windex on it and it'll be OK.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens and when he returns. It would take most people at least 6-8 weeks, but he is out of the sling and using his injured arm with no pain after less than 2 weeks.

NJ-STEELER
11-24-2012, 11:47 AM
and how many plays would "most people" miss if their nose was displaced close to their ears?

AzStillers1989
11-24-2012, 12:39 PM
and how many plays would "most people" miss if their nose was displaced close to their ears?
Lol. Ben is one tough SOB.

SDSteel1
11-24-2012, 12:51 PM

There is a dramatic effect to it.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84VVZEw9vBs

feltdizz
11-24-2012, 12:53 PM
If Ben is out of a sling and throwing without pain it isn't a miracle and its not because he is the toughest SOB to ever play the game. All it means is the injury wasn't as serious as he, we, they initially thought.

There is no way you go from almost punctured heart, season ending, 6 to 8 weeks, 3 weeks to no pain at all 10 days later.

SDSteel1
11-24-2012, 12:58 PM
If Ben is out of a sling and throwing without pain it isn't a miracle and its not because he is the toughest SOB to ever play the game. All it means is the injury wasn't as serious as he, we, they initially thought.

There is no way you go from almost punctured heart, season ending, 6 to 8 weeks, 3 weeks to no pain at all 10 days later.

Finally a voice of reason.:)

NJ-STEELER
11-24-2012, 05:45 PM
All it means is the injury wasn't as serious as he, we, they initially thought.

well said ...

Shawn
11-24-2012, 06:37 PM
I blame Arians.

hawaiiansteel
11-25-2012, 02:56 AM
Ben Roethlisberger is out of a sling, teasing chances of play in Week 13

By Neal Coolong on Nov 23,

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/3761501/gyi0062089015.0_standard_500.0.jpg

The Steelers' quarterback and newest father was reportedly out of a sling Thursday, creating a buzz over whether he'll suit up in Week 13 against Baltimore

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was reportedly not in his shoulder sling Wednesday, and Steel City Insider publisher Jim Wexell noted he pulled his shirt up over his arms and neck with ease.

Obviously, pulling a shirt off and on does little to show his ability to throw a football, but it does paint a slightly more optimistic picture than the one painted since Roethlisberger suffered an SC joint sprain during the Steelers' Week 10 game against Kansas City.

After all the hoopla surrounding the birth of his son possibly causing Roethlisberger to miss a game, he may end up not traveling with the team to Cleveland to take on the Browns in Week 12, but the possibility of him turning around and making the start against the Ravens in Baltimore in Week 13 is beginning to rise slightly toward the surface.

Much of this will depend on how the Steelers' offense is able to perform this weekend against a defense that, heading into Week 11, at least, was statistically stronger than that of the Ravens. With the Steelers putting back-ups in critical positions (quarterback, wide receiver), the Ravens were able to hold them to a less-than-average performance by the Steelers standards. They also injured both Byron Leftwich and WR Jerricho Cotchery in the process, meaning the Steelers offense on the field Sunday will have several players out of action.

Perhaps it's a step back aimed at giving them the chance to take two steps forward the following week.

Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau ran his record in Pittsburgh facing rookie quarterbacks to 15-1 after thrashing Washington's Robert Griffin III in Week 8. He'll face Cleveland's rookie QB Brandon Weeden for the first of two games this season, and his defense is playing as well as it has in the last few years.

Cleveland's offense is as one-dimensional as offenses come, and LeBeau's D tees off on one-dimensional offenses. With Roethlisberger's condition improving, and the Steelers' defense having a favorable match-up this weekend, scoring a big road win in what will likely be a low-scoring affair (three of the last four games these teams played in Cleveland have combined 57 total scored points) could mean one final shot at a run at the division title by being closer to 100 percent on offense heading into Baltimore in Week 13.

Cleveland's played the Steelers tough three of the last four times they've met at Cleveland Browns Stadium, so there's certainly no more reason to look past this game than there was against Kansas City. Win or lose, though, the Steelers still have a Week 13 game, just as they have a Week 12 game, but only one of those has a chance of their starting quarterback returning to the field.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/11/23/3681622/steelers-ben-roethlisberger-injury-status-week-12-13-fantasy-football