PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Loss Against Ravens Is On Tomlin

hawaiiansteel
11-21-2012, 03:26 AM
Steelers Loss Against Ravens Is On Tomlin

Nov 19th, 2012 by Craig Gottschalk

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2012/11/6766218.jpg?0ace0d

You know, for quite some time during Sunday’s game against the Ravens, I believed the battered Steelers could pull one out against the Ravens. But, as the fourth quarter unfolded, that belief quickly filled with doubt until all shred of hope was obliterated even before the Steelers’ last drive. The first thought that came to my mind when the clock reached :00 was, “Tomlin, what the hell were you thinking?”

We point a lot of fingers after a loss, but none falls more squarely than on head coach Mike Tomlin after this one. Sure, there are others who made some mistakes. Quite frankly it was the ‘little things’ added up over the game that helped cost the Steelers this one. But, a big chunk lands right onto Tomlin like the pile of stinking dung heap he put out there on Sunday.

Todd Haley’s offense is structured around two things: 1) The inability of the offensive line to consistently pass block and 2) Big Ben’s quick release of the football. When Ben went out with the shoulder and rib injury, it seems as if Tomlin ignored having to evaluate his QB situation, and who was best suited for the offense. Todd Haley, based at looking at the play selection from the game, appeared to adjust his offense to the QB – I think there was only one or two quick screens to the wide outs. Not really his fault because that’s all he had to work with. Or at least, that’s all that was given to him. Tomlin had an opportunity to flip flop the QB depth chart and place Batch as the starter over Leftwich. It seemed like a rather obvious move to make over the course of the week, but everyone learned early that Lefty was going to be the one under center.

Once Leftwich was obviously hurt – go ahead, pick any of the dozen or so times that Leftwich grabbed his ribs or hunched over in pain over three quarters OR when his accuracy faltered on several easy tosses OR when he couldn’t throw the ball 30+ yards downfield – Tomlin should have yanked him out of there. It’s hard to question Lefty’s toughness. This dude rallied his Thundering Herd back in 2002 after breaking his tibia (shin). Marshall still lost the game, but this kid at the time showed a ton of guts going back out there for several series. Leftwich tried to stir up that toughness again, but the simple fact that it impeded his throws should have had him benched – either by his own admission or by Tomlin’s yank of the hook. This pretty much goes under the category of what Ben tried to do last season against the 49′ers. The questions always looms – was he injured significantly enough that he did more harm than good? The answer to last season’s game against the 49′ers is ‘yes’ as is last night’s an even more resounding ‘YES!’

Batch’s quicker release over Lefty’s and his overall state of health (i.e. he didn’t have a rib and shoulder injury) should have had him in that game sometime early in the second half. I was astounded every single time I saw Leftwich come back out on the field for the next series. I admit, the offense was effective at certain points getting the ball past mid field, but that was in large part from the running game and not Lefty’s arm. The Raven’s defense seemed on its heels at times, but a few incomplete passes emboldened the pass rush or the tighter coverage that caused the drives to stall short of field goal range to tie. There’s no doubt that if Ben was in this game the Steelers would have won handedly. An overall ranked 26th in defense, and the Steelers couldn’t even put 13+ points on the board?

All of it falls on Tomlin. It was horrendously poor decision making by keeping Leftwich in. I have no clue what Tomlin’s beef is with Batch, but that’s all it seems the reasoning could be as to why Tomlin refused to put Batch in the game – there’s an underlying problem between those two that we don’t know about. The piss poor clock management was also on Tomlin. Wasting two time out’s in :44 early in the 3rd quarter is just plain dumb, and the clock management in the two minute drill was just as terrible. Hear me now, and here me many more times until this team puts up big numbers, big wins, big seasons, and big time championships – Mike Tomlin is not an elite coach. He’s good, but he has a tendency to put up stinkers like last night when so much is riding on a season. I say enough of the talking – the standard is the standard, the next man up, excuses are for the incompetent. Put up as a coach and make good but bold decisions. By the way, the coaching seemed pretty incompetent last night, what’s your excuse, Tomlin?

I was going to write in here that if Tomlin had any good sense left in him that he should start Batch. Turns out good sense or none, he has no choice. Sources around the league speculate that Leftwich could be out with a rib and shoulder injury for a significant amount of time. Talk about some friggin’ deja vu. It looks like we’ll have good ol’ Charlie on Sunday against the Browns. The team will more than likely try out some QB’s during the week as Heath Miller is the next guy in line to throw the ball (uhhhhh, so do I yell ‘Heeeeeeeath‘ every time he completes a pass?????). I guess Dixon could come back seeing that he saw glimpses of the play book during the pre-season before he was cut.

The choices don’t get any better from there folks. We’re just going to have to hope for the best every week until we see Ben come back in a few weeks.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/11/19/steelers-loss-against-ravens-is-on-tomlin/

Sword
11-21-2012, 08:43 AM
I have to totally agree with you..i was yelling at the TV to get him out of the game and put Batch in. And if this doesn't tell you what we should be looking for in the draft.
yes a QB should be are number one draft pick to start getting ready to take Ben's place in 4 or 5 years from now.

Keyplay1
11-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Maybe Tomlin does listen to much to players lobbying to play. But, when you consider the tough luck Brian Leftwich has had the past couple seasons it's not hard to understand giving him every chance.

But that is not what interested me about this article. What did was the picture of the dawgpounder. I could not at first make out what was on the bone. But I saved the image and enlarged it and saw what was on it. Those players #27 and #33 played for the Browns in the mid-eighties and in Minnifields case into the 90's. Cleveland won the division quite a few times in this decade. The player #27 was very hard to make out. Frankly, after I found out who he was I must admit I really did not remember much from that decade at all. But what stood out was these players were in the secondary. Cleveland has not won anything since. There is little doubt that in that decade they had a very very strong secondary. The other player was Al Gross #27 a safety. Frankly, I did not remember this player but obviously he was a hard hitter sort of an early version of Ryan Clark.

This reminded me of that post some Steeler fan did several years back where he went back to 1970 and listed what all the champions rankings in numerous categories was. Well to cut it short, the conclusion was Pass D wins championships. Incidentally, sacks were irrelevant[offensive that is].

Anyway even though TS[the steelers]lost that game the play of the D and of course the secondary was amazing. And sooner or later many fans[me especially] are going to have to admit being very wrong about Keenan Lewis who is getting better each week and eliminating so many of his bad habits. Maybe this season is not lost. If TS somehow manage to slip into the PO's, rest assured no one is going to be too anxious to play a very likely near full strength Pittsburgh Steeler team.

Overcoming the QB situation may really be too much but still?

BradshawsHairdresser
11-21-2012, 09:20 AM
I like Mike. But the last two games have been real stinkers on his part, IMO. One of them we eked out. The other, not so lucky.

Hope he can pull his head out and get it going again.

flippy
11-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Tomlin's the man.

We should be terrible, but this team is starting to play like a real SuperBowl contender. Consider what he's working with and the results so far.

1. Lose our team leader in Farrior + Ward and Hokie
2. Harrison, Troy, Max, Mendy, Hampton, Woodley, Worlids banged up to start the season (possibly Keisel too)
3. QBs best friend is sent packing
4. 1st and 3rd round draft picks go IR
5. Moving Colon to G and dealing with a string of injuries on the OLine
6. RBs getting hurt weekly
7. 1st and 2nd string QBs hurt
8. New OC
9. Depleted WRs
10. Superstar WR skips camp and appears totally disinterested in season
11. Can't pass block
12. Can't rush the passer
13. Can't create turnovers
14. Kicker's range is about 40 yards
15. New punter that's below average
16. ST coach fired during the preseason
17. ST is still a disaster

And there's probably a few other things I've left off the list because there's so many. And Mikey T overcomes all of that and is now fielding a team that looks like a real contender. And we're gonna lay the blame for this game on him????

Perhaps Mike knew he couldn't afford to risk Charlie and potentially not have him against the Browns this week. Whatever it was, I have a hard time blaming Tomlin for much given what I witness the guy overcome.

Other teams lose 1 or 2 key players and their season is toast. Not a Mike Tomlin team. We can compete with our 3rd stringers. And the standard remains the standard. And we're fielding a legit contender.

This is some of the best coaching in Steeler history. And we're lucky to be able to see it.

NorthCoast
11-21-2012, 10:30 AM
I was just thinking this the other day. If Tomlin can manage to get the team into the playoffs and win a game or two, it would represent his greatest coaching achievement given the Steelers situation. On the otherhand, Tomlin continues to befuddle me with his in-game brain farts. I suppose the controversy makes for good Monday morning blogging, so we can thank him for that.

JAR
11-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Who is Craig Gottschalk? I see why he's a blogger and not a head coach. :)

Keyplay1
11-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Tomlin's the man.

We should be terrible, but this team is starting to play like a real SuperBowl contender. Consider what he's working with and the results so far.

2. Harrison, Troy, Max, Mendy, Hampton, Woodley, Worlids banged up to start the season (possibly Keisel too)
8. New OC
9. Depleted WRs
11. Can't pass block

And there's probably a few other things I've left off the list because there's so many. And Mikey T overcomes all of that and is now fielding a team that looks like a real contender. And we're gonna lay the blame for this game on him????

Perhaps Mike knew he couldn't afford to risk Charlie and potentially not have him against the Browns this week. Whatever it was, I have a hard time blaming Tomlin for much given what I witness the guy overcome.

Other teams lose 1 or 2 key players and their season is toast. Not a Mike Tomlin team. We can compete with our 3rd stringers. And the standard remains the standard. And we're fielding a legit contender.

This is some of the best coaching in Steeler history. And we're lucky to be able to see it.

Wow! All facts too. [How soon we forget[me too] But it would also be nice if TS stop making these bizarre clock management decisions.

Hey! btw: Anybody know if this Hoyer ? has done anything in the NFL. Is there any chance if Charlie gets dinged up?

pfelix73
11-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Best coaching you ever seen in a season? Wow. Some of you guys are showing your ages here. I can remember a certain Steelers team getting blown out (And I mean BLOWN out) in the first 2 games of a season, only to come back late in the season and reach the playoffs. They win the 1st playoff game, and come damn close to winning a 2nd to almost make the SB. That coach was the Great Chuck Noll. Now that was a great coaching job.....

This guy who wrote this article- I mean, who the hell is he? Never heard of him and he has no clue as to what he's talking about. I'm not the biggest fan of our HC, and fact, I still think the jury is out on what this guy can do long term, but most of the stuff he's blaming Tomlin for is ridiculous. The 2 TO's were on Leftwich and Haley not communicating. It was either that, or a delay of game penalty... Leftwich was #2 on the depth chart for a reason... Anyway...

Let's not forget that if Jones didn't return the kick for a TD, we would've won the game. That goes on the ST coach.....

aggiebones
11-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Flippy is dead on. To blame this on Tomlin is preposterous.

Frankly, without Big Ben this team is no going ANYWHERE. Anywhere is the Super Bowl.
The same goes if Atlanta lost Ryan, NE lost Brady, Baltimore lost Flacco, etc.

Very few teams do the same regardless of QB. Typically teams like Arizona, who suck whoever is back there.
Yes, with a decent QB, we could 'make' the playoffs. But its just fluff. Its nice to try hard and all, but not too many backup QBs can sit on the bench all season and not practice and then come in and lead. Lefty is NOT one of those players. And Batch is ancient. We are screwed unless Ben comes back. And if he comes back early we are also screwed.

flippy
11-21-2012, 11:08 AM
I think Tomlin may be a better coach than Noll. It's a different era now. Noll didn't have to deal with FA, changing players, coaches, etc. Noll didn't have to worry about the salary cap. He didn't have to deal with the media or twitter. We didn't know every last decision he made wrong like we know about everyone today. Noll didn't have to manage players who have $100M contracts.

Noll's Steelers had other advantages, like the draft because everything was secret. Nowadays everyone has the same info on the college kids. We can't hide a John Stallworth from the rest of the teams any more. There wasn't drug testing back in the day. Noll got the best players and the rules helped him. Football is a round the year sport now and the competition is fair and talent exists everywhere.

Noll has rings. But I don't think he's ever come close to facing the challenges Tomlin faces and overcomes yearly. I see a lot of Noll in Tomlin. But the game has changed so much, it's nearly impossible to compare them.

I think it's easier to compare Noll to Cowher or Cowher to Tomlin, but Noll and Tomlin coached in completely different leagues.

Sometimes I actually think Cowher was better than both of them. He just never had a QB until the end. I've wondered would Cowher have gotten more than 4 SuperBowls with Terry? Maybe, maybe not. I do think there's a lot of luck and timing involved with success. We usually give too much credit to winners and not enough to losers. That's never changed and probably never will.

Snatch98
11-21-2012, 01:51 PM
I haven't read over the entire thread and just power skimmed the linked article but here is my opinion on why Tomlin didn't put batch in the game. First and foremost if he had put Batch in the game and he himself got injured where are we right now? We're rushing Brian Hoyer to be ready for a two game stint against division opponents. The game was close and I'm certain that Leftwich indicated he could make it through the game. Our defense was playing lights out and really it was just a matter of a couple of completions in the 4th to put the game away. Batch didn't go in IMO because if he had and he got injured we'd be even more screwed. I'm not sure why more people aren't seeing it this way. EDIT: I see Flippy feels the same. I had a small facebook discussion with a few friends on Monday, Tomlin made the correct decision. We get another crack at the Ravens soon, we're without our starting QB and we took them to the wire. Stay as healthy as possible and prepare to beat the Browns and the Ravens the second time out. We could very well need batch the rest of the regular season. It was the ONLY choice to keep Batch out of the game.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-21-2012, 01:55 PM
So it was good coaching to leave Leftwich in when he was obviously hurting and couldn't make the throws? In a close, winnable game, with the division lead on the line?

Look, I'm not pinning all the blame for the loss on Mike...I'm befuddled about Haley not sticking with the run when it was working so well...STs letdown was huge...We could go on and on...

But you don't leave your QB in when he's obviously hurt so bad he's hurting you more than helping you. THAT'S WHAT THE BACKUP is FOR.

And if he wouldn't put Batch in because he so scared of losing him to injury and having no QB, then WHY DIDN'T HE SIGN A THIRD QB LAST WEEK?

pfelix73
11-21-2012, 02:03 PM
There is NO way you can even say at this point in time that Tomlin is a better coach than ever Cowher. NO WAY. Only time well tell. And personally, we'll really see what Tomlin can do here in say the next 3-5 years... I always thought that Tomlin's true colors will be seen once he's fully into his 2nd contract. Simply because of losing all of the older players he had to begin with and we'd see how his coaching staff would evolve.

pfelix73
11-21-2012, 02:06 PM
I might agree with you on the Cowher was a better coach than Noll thought.... Agreed, it was 2 diff. eras, but the jury is so far out on MT at this point. We'll see here down the stretch..

Keyplay1
11-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Again Flippy is on target: But-

Flippy said: "Noll's Steelers had other advantages, like the draft because everything was secret. Nowadays everyone has the same info on the college kids. We can't hide a John Stallworth from the rest of the teams any more."

Actually,BLESTO was there in the early 70's. It was just that other teams did not take advantage of the info for some reason or other. I do recall reading this somewhere.

I have never commented on Tomlin one way or another. Why should I? I have no idea what a good or bad coach is anyhow. Maybe MT should loosen up though and spend $19.95 and get a copy of Doc Curealls "Guide to two minute strategies." Yeah, I caught a glimpse of this on one of those late night TV infomercials.:DOh incidentally, they throw in a free copy of "Why the "spike" is not a good idea".

hawaiiansteel
11-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Let's not forget that if Jones didn't return the kick for a TD, we would've won the game. That goes on the ST coach.....

true, but who fired our ST coach in the middle of the season and promoted this one?

papillon
11-21-2012, 03:18 PM
As soon as I read the part about the author knowing more about Todd Haley's quick release offense than the Mike Tomlin I stopped reading. There was a graphic during the game showing Ben's release and Leftwich's release along with speed of the football. Ben releases the ball exactly 3/100 of second quicker than Leftwich and Leftwich has about 3 MPH more speed on the ball, which basically negates the 3/100 of a second.

I'm sure Batch's release is somewhere between Ben's and Lefty's and his velocity is certainly the slowest of all. The right quarterback played the game and the right quarterback finished the game. Now, had the author said, that Haley's offense is predicated on quicker decisions and that Batch can make quicker decisions based on coverage, protection and route trees then I can buy into the wrong quarterback played. But to try and make an argument against Tomlin over 3/100 of a second and 3 MPH is ridiculous.

Tomlin made the right decision and I believe that the majority of coaches make the exact same decision given the situation.

What I didn't like and I'm not sure who made the call was the 3rd and 2 pass that Wallace couldn't corral and get his feet down in the field of play. With the way the defense was playing I would have run Dwyer on 3rd and 2, if he makes it great, move on and try to score a touchdown; if he doesn't make it, I run with him again on 4th down, if he makes it great, move on and try to score a touchdown, if he doesn't make it, that's okay, it's 1st and 10 on 4 yard line for an offense that couldn't string together 3 good offensive plays all night. The Steelers would have in all likelihood gotten the ball back near midfield.

That was the only questionable sequence as far as I was concerned.

Pappy

squidkid
11-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Tomlin's the man.

8. New OC
9. Depleted WRs
11. Can't pass block

the majority of stuff on that list could be the direct result of tomlins coaching, decisions and player personnel you know.

hawaiiansteel
11-21-2012, 04:52 PM
So it was good coaching to leave Leftwich in when he was obviously hurting and couldn't make the throws? In a close, winnable game, with the division lead on the line?

Look, I'm not pinning all the blame for the loss on Mike...I'm befuddled about Haley not sticking with the run when it was working so well...STs letdown was huge...We could go on and on...

But you don't leave your QB in when he's obviously hurt so bad he's hurting you more than helping you. THAT'S WHAT THE BACKUP is FOR.

And if he wouldn't put Batch in because he so scared of losing him to injury and having no QB, then WHY DIDN'T HE SIGN A THIRD QB LAST WEEK?

$$$$$$$$$$

virgilbosetti
11-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Tomlin makes horrible clock & game mgt decisions routinely and his inability to sit injured players is alarming. Tomlin is a decent position coach with good one liners

Protect Batch for Cleveland? Bent logic at best.

Snatch98
11-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Tomlin makes horrible clock & game mgt decisions routinely and his inability to sit injured players is alarming. Tomlin is a decent position coach with good one liners

Cleveland and then Baltimore. If you don't think there is some legitimacy to that you're delusional. We're in the midst of a terrible string of injuries. How many teams carry 4 qb's? Hell how many teams have 3 qb's and lose the number 1 and number 2 within the same two weeks? Batch was not put in that game to ensure he's healthy for at least the next two and further ensure the future of the rest of the season. Batch goes in there and gets hurt we're teaching a qb completely new to the haley offense how to run the show AND preparing to play both the Browns AND the Ravens. The writing is on the wall, some of you just refuse to read it.

Steelerphile
11-21-2012, 05:34 PM

The vast majority of the time what one person characterizes as a horrible clock or game management decision usually is a debatable decision when considered from more than the accusers point of view. I certainly disagree with this and think you should be more specific instead of throwing around large general statements.

Keyplay1
11-21-2012, 06:16 PM
I did not disagree with the QB handling in the game. But what I do disagree with is the recurring theme that not using Batch was not to risk him getting banged up and then not having any experienced QB for the next few games. What? If replacing Leftwich would have been considered the best option to win the game then it had to be done. Obviously it was not deemed necessary.

Who is to know that Batch will not get dinged very early in the game this week? A possibility for sure. Then TS are forced to play a new QB without any real preparation. If Batch had played in the Raven's game and did get hurt TS would have all this week to truly prepare the new QB. And believe it or not there have been a high % of instances where the new QB does extremely well.

virgilbosetti
11-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Don't care for the way the guy coaches in certain situations. Don't like to throw specifics for two reasons. 1. Name throwers call you delusional because you hold a different opinion. 2. Not trying to talk anyone out of their opinion and convince them they're wrong.

If I offended anyone with my generalities.....sorry and so be it.

virgilbosetti
11-21-2012, 08:25 PM
I did not disagree with the QB handling in the game. But what I do disagree with is the recurring theme that not using Batch was not to risk him getting banged up and then not having any experienced QB for the next few games. What? If replacing Leftwich would have been considered the best option to win the game then it had to be done. Obviously it was not deemed necessary.

Who is to know that Batch will not get dinged very early in the game this week? A possibility for sure. Then TS are forced to play a new QB without any real preparation. If Batch had played in the Raven's game and did get hurt TS would have all this week to truly prepare the new QB. And believe it or not there have been a high % of instances where the new QB does extremely well.

Agreed. And it was a close, huge, divisional game against the 1st place team. It was worth a shot to put batch in. If he gets hurt....you are week to week regardless.

BURGH86STEEL
11-22-2012, 07:14 AM

Either people forgot the times the clock & game management were handled properly or they choose to selectively pick those instances where things we not handled properly as a way to define Tomlin. There were many situations where the clock and game management were handled properly under Tomlin. I believe many coaches make decisions based on instincts, emotion, having faith in players, or other factors. It's always easy to look at decisions made in hindsight when those decisions did not pan out as expected. No coach makes the right decision 100% of the time.

Sugar
11-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Either people forgot the times the clock & game management were handled properly or they choose to selectively pick those instances where things we not handled properly as a way to define Tomlin. There were many situations where the clock and game management were handled properly under Tomlin. I believe many coaches make decisions based on instincts, emotion, having faith in players, or other factors. It's always easy to look at decisions made in hindsight when those decisions did not pan out as expected. No coach makes the right decision 100% of the time.

Congratulations for making a reasonable response to an idiotic statement.

virgilbosetti
11-22-2012, 12:33 PM
All coaches make good decisions, and Tomlin is certainly one of them. However, he has made enough poor decisions to raise concern. Ignoring them is not something that I chose to do.

Defend them all you want. Sugar.....grow up.

Sugar
11-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Defend them all you want. Sugar.....grow up.

Actually, I did take the less offensive road there. I was going to flame you, but appreciated the comment that was level-headed and fair instead.

virgilbosetti
11-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Flame me? :D Because my opinion differs from yours I'm making idiotic statements? Your kindness is appreciated.

I wish Tomlin all the best. I think he needs to improve in some key areas where HC's are usually strong.