PDA

View Full Version : Baron Batch & Marshall McFadden waived to make room for Plaxico Burress & Brian Hoyer

RuthlessBurgher
11-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Ben Roethlisberger doubtful, but Steelers “encouraged” by his status
Posted by Josh Alper on November 20, 2012, 2:47 PM EST

The Steelers signed quarterback Brian Hoyer on Tuesday, which sent a pretty good sign that neither Ben Roethlisberger nor Byron Leftwich will be healthy enough to play this Sunday.

Coach Mike Tomlin confirmed that later in the day when he ruled out Leftwich and termed Roethlisberger doubtful to play against the Browns. Tomlin had some better news in terms of Roethlisberger’s overall recovery from the rib and shoulder injuries that kept him out of the Week 11 loss to the Ravens.

“He had an additional test done today and all things are very positive in terms of where he is,” Tomlin said, via Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com. “We’re encouraged about his status.”

Tomlin also provided updates on a slew of other injured Steelers. Wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery won’t play this week, opening the door for Plaxico Burress’ return to the NFL and Antonio Brown will be limited early in the week as he tries to return after an ankle injury. Safety Troy Polamalu is expected to run on Wednesday and is considered questionable after missing the last six weeks with a calf issue. Tackle Marcus Gilbert is also questionable, according to Tomlin.

The Steelers also announced that they have waived running back Baron Batch and linebacker Marshall McFadden to create room for Burress and Hoyer on the roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/20/ben-roethlisberger-doubtful-but-steelers-encouraged-by-his-status/

flippy
11-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Troy is gonna run this week? How long will Calfgate last?

lloydroid
11-20-2012, 04:39 PM
How long before we get to watch Troy limp off the field again? What's up with cutting Batch? I was never impressed with him but the dude actually DRESSES and PLAYs and they cut him? I guess they have no fear of any other team picking him up, that's for sure.

pittpete
11-20-2012, 04:39 PM
Calfgate, thats fn hilarious
Troy will come back for a few plays and then be back on the sideline.
With all the technological advancements made in medicine,modalities and procedures and Troy misses 7 games with a calf injury.:rolleyes:
Somethings just not right with this:nono

focosteeler
11-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Calfgate, thats fn hilarious
Troy will come back for a few plays and then be back on the sideline.
With all the technological advancements made in medicine,modalities and procedures and Troy misses 7 games with a calf injury.:rolleyes:
Somethings just not right with this:nono

Could it be a lingering issue from when he injured his achilles? I think it is the same leg for him.

pittpete
11-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Don't know, its been so secretive

steelz09
11-20-2012, 05:34 PM
I like both signings. I wish we could've release Leftwich instead of Barron Batch though.

Snatch98
11-20-2012, 05:45 PM
I hate that they cut Batch but like both the signings.

lloydroid
11-20-2012, 06:15 PM
I hate that they cut Batch but like both the signings.

Don't worry; no other team will pick Batch up.

hawaiiansteel
11-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Ben Roethlisberger doubtful, but Steelers “encouraged” by his status
Posted by Josh Alper on November 20, 2012, 2:47 PM EST

The Steelers signed quarterback Brian Hoyer on Tuesday, which sent a pretty good sign that neither Ben Roethlisberger nor Byron Leftwich will be healthy enough to play this Sunday.

Coach Mike Tomlin confirmed that later in the day when he ruled out Leftwich and termed Roethlisberger doubtful to play against the Browns. Tomlin had some better news in terms of Roethlisberger’s overall recovery from the rib and shoulder injuries that kept him out of the Week 11 loss to the Ravens.

“He had an additional test done today and all things are very positive in terms of where he is,” Tomlin said, via Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com. “We’re encouraged about his status.”

Tomlin also provided updates on a slew of other injured Steelers. Wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery won’t play this week, opening the door for Plaxico Burress’ return to the NFL and Antonio Brown will be limited early in the week as he tries to return after an ankle injury. Safety Troy Polamalu is expected to run on Wednesday and is considered questionable after missing the last six weeks with a calf issue. Tackle Marcus Gilbert is also questionable, according to Tomlin.

The Steelers also announced that they have waived running back Baron Batch and linebacker Marshall McFadden to create room for Burress and Hoyer on the roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/20/ben-roethlisberger-doubtful-but-steelers-encouraged-by-his-status/

hey RB,

will you still keep Baron Batch's pic as your sig in his honor and hope for his return?

Chadman
11-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Mendy's return probably makes Batch expendable. No real need for 5 RB's on a roster- Mendy, Dwyer, Redman, Rainey & Batch is overkill.

Not sure what the FO plans on doing at QB if/when Ben & Lefty are fit again. depending on the timeframe involved on Lefty's return, might have thought IR was possible. Would have given them a real chance to look at Hoyer. That said, Hoyer might just be a roster body & the FO has confidence that Lefty is the long term back-up QB in Pittsburgh.

Anyone else kinda excited to see Plax back??

Sugar
11-20-2012, 07:12 PM

Not even a little bit.

flippy
11-20-2012, 07:29 PM

I've wanted to bring him back since last offseason and think he can help us in the redzone. He's the prodigal son. I'm excited to see him in Pittsburgh again.

He seems like a different person than his first go round in Pittsburgh. It may sound out there, but he might be a guy that can come in and help Wally get his head on straight. Plax has gone through a lot and I think he can have a positive impact on our young WRs.

Plus Ben loves him. I'm expecting some fun playground football come playoff time. Haley's gonna have fun dealing Ben and Plax and their secret plays that only they know. :)

hawaiiansteel
11-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Plus Ben loves him. I'm expecting some fun playground football come playoff time. Haley's gonna have fun dealing Ben and Plax and their secret plays that only they know. :)

they're gonna run and gun...

RuthlessBurgher
11-20-2012, 08:43 PM
hey RB,

will you still keep Baron Batch's pic as your sig in his honor and hope for his return?

Not sure if Batch is practice squad eligible, but if he is and we add him to the P.S., then I'll probably keep it. If not, I may go back to the ol' Gladiator sig. I'll give it a few days...

steelfin
11-21-2012, 10:21 PM
According to Steelers.com, both players were added to the practice squad...

SF

hawaiiansteel
11-22-2012, 03:12 AM
According to Steelers.com, both players were added to the practice squad...

SF

OG Ryan Lee and TE Jamie McCoy were released from the PS to make room for them.

kindlecatsb'ng
11-22-2012, 11:22 AM

Guess I can get the Plax Bobble Head Doll out now that he is back as Steeler #80 again. Unfortunately, the bobble head is broken--and probably why it was given to me in the first place! ;) That is not something I would surely buy.

Wishing him success this week against the Browns.

Kindle

Sugar
11-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Not sure if Batch is practice squad eligible, but if he is and we add him to the P.S., then I'll probably keep it. If not, I may go back to the ol' Gladiator sig. I'll give it a few days...

Batch tweeted this AM that he had signed with the Miami Sharks! ;)