PDA

View Full Version : Adam Schefter: Plaxico Burress to take physical for Steelers

hawaiiansteel
11-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter:

Free-agent WR Plaxico Burress is expected to go to Pittsburgh to meet with and take a physical for the Steelers. Need WR help

and:

Steelers WR Antonio Brown already was nursing a sprained ankle and WR Jerricho Cotchery was injured during Sunday night vs. Baltimore.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/with_replies

BigRob
11-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Could be a good pick-up, but who is going to throw to him?

pittpete
11-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Can he QB?

hawaiiansteel
11-19-2012, 07:02 PM

with who we have at QB now we need a tall guy with really long arms...:D

flippy
11-19-2012, 07:04 PM
It's about darn time to go get someone that can make catches in the RedZone.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-19-2012, 07:10 PM
I would be ok with this.

NJ-STEELER
11-19-2012, 07:36 PM
decent temporary plan B for now and possibly next year if the intention is not to re sign wally

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Hey, why not, give it a shot!

Uhmm, I mean ... ;-)

AkronSteel
11-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Probably means that Cotchery is going to go on IR. I wouldn't think this would be a one week type of thing!

blitz71burgh71
11-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Hopefully we can bench Wallace now :stirpot

flippy
11-19-2012, 08:32 PM

C'Mon Steelers, pull the trigger!!!

flippy
11-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Who do you think's calling the shot on Plax?

flippy
11-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Hopefully Plax leaves his ego in NY. We don't need some NY WR coming to Pittsburgh thinking he's a big shot.

DukieBoy
11-19-2012, 08:35 PM

Can he catch balls if they are thrown at his feet ?

steelfin
11-19-2012, 08:40 PM
The injury bug is really taking a toll on this team...

I am not excited about this move at all....T Clemmons must really suck if we are looking to pickup Plax...

BradshawsHairdresser
11-19-2012, 08:42 PM

C'mon Steelers, pull the trigger!!!

Who do you think's calling the shot on Plax?

Hopefully Plax leaves his ego in NY. We don't need some NY WR coming to Pittsburgh thinking he's a big shot.

With all these references, you'd think the guy had a history with guns or something...

steelz09
11-19-2012, 08:42 PM

Uhmm, I mean ... ;-)

lol.. nice one.

DukieBoy
11-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Plax is a his best working out of the shotgun.

hawaiiansteel
11-19-2012, 08:54 PM

or out of the pistol formation...

Slapstick
11-19-2012, 09:05 PM
After carefully considering all the available players, Plaxico is number one with a bullet on my list...

It's about time the Steelers called in the heavy artillery...although I did initially recoil at the mere mention of his name...

Considering it's been awhile since he's taken any kind of contact, I hope he isn't too gun shy about high pointing passes...

Now that it's late November in Western PA, I hope he brought a sweater...although he will have the right to bare arms, I wouldn't recommend it...

steelfin
11-19-2012, 09:16 PM
If the Steelers sign Plax, they will be shooting themselves in the foot....

RuthlessBurgher
11-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Aw, SHOOT! All the good puns have already been taken! Shoot...shoot...SHOOT!!!

hawaiiansteel
11-19-2012, 10:42 PM

Q: What did Plaxico Burress say when the Steelers offered to pick him up at the airport and give him a ride to team HQs?

A: “Only if I can ride shotgun!”

Chadman
11-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Batch to Burress for the TD.

Too uzi....

fordfixer
11-20-2012, 12:27 AM
Batch to Burress for the TD.

Too uzi....
That one should of stayed down under:-)

JDSteeler
11-20-2012, 12:32 AM
Hopefully we can bench Wallace now :stirpot

Thank you...could agree with you more!!

JD

DukieBoy
11-20-2012, 12:34 AM
We'll have another red zone target. Now, can we get into the red zone?

hawaiiansteel
11-20-2012, 12:59 AM
Plaxico Burress to visit Steelers

Updated: November 19, 2012
ESPN.com news services

Free-agent wide receiver Plaxico Burress is expected to visit with the Pittsburgh Steelers and take a physical with his former team, a league source told ESPN Monday.

Burress traveled to Pittsburgh on Monday and will visit with the team Tuesday, according to the source.

Burress played last season with the New York Jets after spending nearly two years in prison for illegal possession of a firearm.

Despite missing the 2009 and 2010 seasons, Burress was productive with the Jets, hauling in 45 receptions and eight touchdowns. But the 35-year-old has remained unsigned throughout this season despite reportedly drawing interest from multiple teams.

The 6-foot-5 Burress would significantly bolster an injury-plagued receiving corps in Pittsburgh (6-4, second in the AFC North). Starting wideout Antonio Brown has missed the past two games due to a sprained ankle, and Jerricho Cotchery also was injured late in Sunday's loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

The eighth overall selection in the 2000 NFL draft, Burress spent his first five seasons with the Steelers before signing as a free agent with the New York Giants in 2005.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8653834/plaxico-burress-expected-visit-take-physical-pittsburgh-steelers-source

SS Laser
11-20-2012, 02:01 AM
Oh good! My Mom will be so excited she can bring back out his bobble head! :rolleyes:

hawaiiansteel
11-20-2012, 02:23 AM
Visiting Burress makes sense for Steelers

NOV 19
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

There's depth concerns for the Pittsburgh Steelers beyond the quarterback position. With Antonio Brown and Jerricho Cotchery injured, the Steelers are eyeing a reunion with Plaxico Burress to help out at wide receiver.

Burress, 35, who played for the Steelers from from 2000 to 2004, is expected to go to Pittsburgh to take a physical for the Steelers. This is the right move by the Steelers, and I'm surprised that Burress is still available.

If nothing else, he will be a big target in the red zone. The 6-foot-5 Burress caught eight touchdowns last season. The knock on Burress is he doesn't get separation anymore. Still, he had 45 catches last season from Mark Sanchez, so that tells me he can be productive with most quarterbacks. Plus, the Steelers have speed with Sanders and Mike Wallace. Burress can complement them.

There was talk that the Steelers were interested in signing Burress in training camp when Wallace was a holdout. But Burress reportedly wanted too much money. Now, over halfway through the season, Burress needs a job and the Steelers need a productive receiver. It makes sense for the Steelers to sign Burress if he passes the physical.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/59449/steelers-make-right-move-to-bring-in-burress

flippy
11-20-2012, 08:35 AM
The one drawback to Burress is that he'll take the hat of one of our ST players. Hopefully we don't lose one of our top "gunners".

In all seriousness, they should do a special edition of Renegade with a montage of Plaxico's life. There's no pun in that, but it's so obvious, Plax is the Renegade.

Shawn
11-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Do you think we will play more Run N' Gun if we sign Burress?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-20-2012, 10:28 AM
The one drawback to Burress is that he'll take the hat of one of our ST players. Hopefully we don't lose one of our top "gunners".

In all seriousness, they should do a special edition of Renegade with a montage of Plaxico's life. There's no pun in that, but it's so obvious, Plax is the Renegade.
You could look at it that way but Cotchery did the same. Comes down to if Cotchery stays on the 53 in this case. They may have to send McFadden back to the PS if both Cotchery & Lefty are staying on 53 along with cutting someone else.

Djfan
11-20-2012, 10:52 AM
I hope he stays and it works. I'm really fed up with Wallace and his Sweed like tendancies. If he makes a show of it, and he stays a few years, while Wallace gets over paid by some Redskin like team somewhere.

fezziwig
11-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Just how bad or what is it with Antonio Browns ankle that is keeping him off the field for so long ? It must be pretty serious at this point.

RuthlessBurgher
11-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Some of you fans actually think Plaxico Burress is a better receiver right now than Mike Wallace? Really? Seriously???

Plaxico is the true one-trick pony here. He's a tall guy who might be able to catch a fade pass in the red zone. He doesn't have any semblence of speed, don't run particularly crisp routes, and won't be able to get separation on more athletic corners who are a decade or more his junior. Don't get me wrong...with Brown and Cotchery hurting right now, its a solid signing this late in the season. But if Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery are all healthy once again in the near future? Plaxico would be our #5 option (and likely a healthy inactive on gamedays in favor of someone who plays special teams).

Mister Pittsburgh
11-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Does he catch the ball with his hands, or just his body?

RuthlessBurgher
11-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Does he catch the ball with his hands, or just his body?

Either way, he spikes the live ball before he's ruled down by contact.

Djfan
11-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Some of you fans actually think Plaxico Burress is a better receiver right now than Mike Wallace? Really? Seriously???

I dont' know, since I don't know what Plax is anymore. I have seen enough of Wallace to think that it is a gamble well worth taking.

fordfixer
11-20-2012, 03:39 PM
I dont' know, since I don't know what Plax is anymore. I have seen enough of Wallace to think that it is a gamble well worth taking.
Aren't you supposed to be filling little minds with knowledge instead of posting here?:-)

Sugar
11-20-2012, 04:22 PM

Plaxico is the true one-trick pony here. He's a tall guy who might be able to catch a fade pass in the red zone. He doesn't have any semblence of speed, don't run particularly crisp routes, and won't be able to get separation on more athletic corners who are a decade or more his junior. Don't get me wrong...with Brown and Cotchery hurting right now, its a solid signing this late in the season. But if Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery are all healthy once again in the near future? Plaxico would be our #5 option (and likely a healthy inactive on gamedays in favor of someone who plays special teams).

IMO, Burress was never as good as Wallace. Never.

flippy
11-20-2012, 05:16 PM

I think you dress Plax even when everyone else is healthy because we can use him in the Red Zone. Heath + Plax in the Redzone are a matchup problem.

I'm also not convinced Plax can't play. He may have lost a step, but he also may just have needed time to get back into game shape after prison.

hawaiiansteel
11-20-2012, 05:29 PM
IMO, Burress was never as good as Wallace. Never.

probably not, but maybe Burress catches that fade pass in the back of the end zone...

Chadman
11-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Ok, Chadman is a big fan of Wallace- this is not a secret, but at their respective prime's, Burress was AT LEAST as good as Wallace, most likely better. A more rounded WR, that's for sure.

Sugar
11-20-2012, 07:11 PM
probably not, but maybe Burress catches that fade pass in the back of the end zone...

Sure, but maybe Wallace catches it another time. I was a big fan of Burress' coming out of MSU (where I grew up). He's just shown himself to be a complete jackwagon. I hope he does as well as needed for the sake of the team, but I'm also hoping our other WR's heal quickly.

Chadman
11-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Sure, but maybe Wallace catches it another time. I was a big fan of Burress' coming out of MSU (where I grew up). He's just shown himself to be a complete jackwagon. I hope he does as well as needed for the sake of the team, but I'm also hoping our other WR's heal quickly.

Party pooper. :)

Mogriffjr
11-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Hey guys, Jet fan here...Plax really struggled in between the 20's for us last year but was an excellent red zone target for Sanchez. I'm not sure how much the lack of playing he's done so far this season will hurt him (kinda like the layoff he had before signing with the Jets) but other than the redzone, he MAY help on quick slants or plays where he can use his height...he struggled a bit to separate from corners...hope he contributes for you guys...

RuthlessBurgher
11-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Hey guys, Jet fan here...Plax really struggled in between the 20's for us last year but was an excellent red zone target for Sanchez. I'm not sure how much the lack of playing he's done so far this season will hurt him (kinda like the layoff he had before signing with the Jets) but other than the redzone, he MAY help on quick slants or plays where he can use his height...he struggled a bit to separate from corners...hope he contributes for you guys...

Thanks for the insight, man! Welcome, Jet fan!

RuthlessBurgher
11-20-2012, 08:34 PM

What do you think about the other Spartan we signed today, Brian Hoyer (ain't it weird that we might have a future Michigan State QB-WR connection based on today's signings...even though Plax is 8 years older than Hoyer)?

DukieBoy
11-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Plax will certainly play ahead of Gilreath IMO.

hawaiiansteel
11-20-2012, 09:13 PM

I'm just hoping Ben heals quickly...

steelz09
11-20-2012, 10:02 PM
I like the Plax signing. I don't see him playing a lot unless we are approaching the endzone. Maybe not just the redzone but possibly around the 30-40 yard line as well.

Cotchery is hurt and so in Brown. Why not sign Plax? Now, you have Wallace, Sanders, Heath and Plax. That is still a dangerous combo. Add a healthy Brown and it pushes Plax to #4 on the depth chart. Plax against a #4 CB is a big matchup problem. Cotchery may be out awhile with the fractured ribs.

NJ-STEELER
11-25-2012, 03:40 PM
already paying dividends