PDA

View Full Version : Rib Injury A Greater Concern

Jigawatts
11-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/493043/ben-roethlisberger)'s shoulder injury is a big concern and it will keep him from starting on Sunday (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20978276/ben-roethlisberger-wont-play-for-steelers-sunday-byron-leftwich-starting) when the Steelers (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/PIT/pittsburgh-steelers) play the Ravens (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/BAL/baltimore-ravens). But it's not nearly as big a concern as the rare rib injury he also suffered Monday, which could apparently kill him.
Yes, kill him. Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported on Wednesday that Ben's injury is what will keep him out because it presents a danger of "pressing into his aorta (https://twitter.com/edbouchette/status/268774483849003008)" and ending his life.
This is not a normal rib injury, and it explains a couple things: one, why we heard words like "unusual" and "rare" when people described Roethlisberger's injury, and two, why he got the hell out of the stadium to see a doctor (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20957913/ben-roethlisberger-in-locker-room-with-right-shoulder-injury-questionable-to-return-) on Monday night. Smart move.
The injury is so rare, in fact, that doctors apparently told Roethlisberger they hadn't seen it since a rugby player dealt with the injury in 1989.
Roethlisberger also said, per Aditi Kinkhabwala of NFL Network (https://twitter.com/akinkhabwala/status/268776037456941056), that his pain level is a nine out of 10 and that he got four hours of sleep in a chair each of the last two nights.
Bouchette doesn't believe Roethlisberger will play for "awhile," and that sounds about right. The Steelers quarterback is one of the toughest guys in the NFL -- pain only seems to make him stronger -- but risking his life in order to try and help the Steelers push for a playoff spot they might end up netting anyway is just silly.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20979951/ben-roethlisberger-rib-injury-a-greater-concern-than-shoulder-could-kill-him

BradshawsHairdresser
11-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Wow. Thanks for the info. I guess Ben can take whatever time he needs to recover from this one.

flippy
11-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Guess we'll have to win a SuperBowl with "Whatchoo Talkin Bout Willis".

Wonder how much Ben sensationalized this injury? Ever notice the pattern that occurs when Ben speaks?

SteelBucks
11-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Ben also said he does not believe this is a season ending injury. I'm guessing the Steelers will need to make the playoffs without him, then all bets are off. I'm hoping he would be ready for the postseason.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-15-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm guessing the Steelers will need to make the playoffs without him

That might be a really tall order...

Shawn
11-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Technically, any of the upper rib fractures can cause death by different mechanisms. You can get a pneumothorax (collapsed lung) go into a heart arrythmia called PEA and die. Posterior rib fractures of multiple ribs can also transect the aorta. Damage to the aorta by a rib fracture is rare.

Oviedo
11-15-2012, 12:15 PM
If it means Ben misses the entire regular and post-season to get 100% I'm buying in. He is the most important piece on this team and we need him for the next 5-6 years. If we have to take one step back to take two forward I'm OK for that as long as we get a healthy Ben for many years to come.

SteelCrazy
11-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Shawn, Is there nothing they can do surgery wise to help with the placement or stabilization of the rib? Or does it just have to heal naturally?

Shawn
11-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Shawn, Is there nothing they can do surgery wise to help with the placement or stabilization of the rib? Or does it just have to heal naturally?

The vast majority are treated conservatively. But, with posterior subluxations (fractured rib protruding inward) surgical management can be indicated. So, it really depends on what the x-ray looks like.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-15-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm thinking here that if there is a risk of the next hit being fatal as I've read on this forum somewhere, Ben may have played his last down.

I'd think it'd be hard to find a doc to say, "OK, it's all healed good as new, the risk of this breaking again and going backwards and ripping your aorta to shreds is now back to normal - go for it".

Shawn
11-15-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm thinking here that if there is a risk of the next hit being fatal as I've read on this forum somewhere, Ben may have played his last down.

I'd think it'd be hard to find a doc to say, "OK, it's all healed good as new, the risk of this breaking again and going backwards and ripping your aorta to shreds is now back to normal - go for it".

If there was serious thought that this injury could end Ben's career...I would imagine a surgeon going in an securing the fracture site with hardware. I don't believe that's a real concern.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-15-2012, 04:38 PM
If there was serious thought that this injury could end Ben's career...I would imagine a surgeon going in an securing the fracture site with hardware. I don't believe that's a real concern.Bouchette tweeted it could kill him by pressing against his aorta. Hope you're right.

Shawn
11-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Bouchette tweeted it could kill him by pressing against his aorta. Hope you're right.

I think much of this is being blown out of proportion by local media. Yes, Ben's injury could have been very serious...if a very rare complication of a 1st rib fracture were to have occured. But, it didn't. So, what we have is a healing rib fracture...nothing more nothing less. If the physician's believe it could present him a problem with playing football for the rest of his career, there are ways to surgically stabilize a rib fracture against future trauma.

He is likely to miss 6 weeks, and I expect to see him around for the playoffs if we make it.

Oviedo
11-15-2012, 06:41 PM
I think much of this is being blown out of proportion by local media. Yes, Ben's injury could have been very serious...if a very rare complication of a 1st rib fracture were to have occured. But, it didn't. So, what we have is a healing rib fracture...nothing more nothing less. If the physician's believe it could present him a problem with playing football for the rest of his career, there are ways to surgically stabilize a rib fracture against future trauma.

He is likely to miss 6 weeks, and I expect to see him around for the playoffs if we make it.

Shawn---A medical question: When it heals, is it really healed or will it be more likely to break in the future unless reinforced somehow through surgery in the off sesason?

Just pumping that "secret stuff" they put into "Wolverine" in X-Men would likely do the job:D

Shawn
11-15-2012, 07:47 PM
O...I heard for years bones after fracture are never as strong. But, the evidence doesn't support that notion. A totally healed bone has equal strength in most cases as the pre fracture bone. So I see no reason that Ben couldn't play at week 6 post injury.

fezziwig
11-15-2012, 08:45 PM
I love our Steelers and I love our Steelers to win but, I don't want to see these guys end up injured, not living a long healthy life or living with injuries that makes life rough. I think Ben should think about hanging it up. Ben has been beat like a punching bag and what will it take with some people to see the light ? Ryan and Troy need to evaluate their accomplishments and their future and with this, if either one of them haven't had their bells rung enough to know what's good for them, they should retire too.
The NFL should have a weight limit for players. These giant size guys using their bodies as missiles to either tackle someone or to be tackled by a missile type player is too much for a person to withstand. Everyone wants bigger stronger and faster but look what it is doing to the players, to the game to the teams.
We had weight limits when we played pop warner, junior varsity football, why not college and the NFL ?

Shawn
11-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Well Fezz, you agree with most owners and Goodell. While that may sound like a slam it's not. I'm all about making the game safer, so guys like Troy don't have to eat their soup through a straw by the age of 50. While I don't agree with Goodells methods much of the time as application seems prejudicial and arbitrary...I agree with the underlying sentiment. Protect the players, extend their careers, and help them be able to enjoy life well into their 80s.

steelz09
11-15-2012, 10:51 PM
These players have free will. They don't need to gain that much weight and they don't need to continue playing. It's their choice.

Shawn
11-16-2012, 10:39 AM
These players have free will. They don't need to gain that much weight and they don't need to continue playing. It's their choice.

You have a point. But, if you can make the game safer...why not do so? Do we really need to see helmet to helmet contact in order to be entertained? Why not develop better, safer equipment? Do we really need to see defenseless players leveled onto a stretcher? Tweaking of the rules and equipment can make the game safer while fans are still being entertained.

Oviedo
11-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Well Fezz, you agree with most owners and Goodell. While that may sound like a slam it's not. I'm all about making the game safer, so guys like Troy don't have to eat their soup through a straw by the age of 50. While I don't agree with Goodells methods much of the time as application seems prejudicial and arbitrary...I agree with the underlying sentiment. Protect the players, extend their careers, and help them be able to enjoy life well into their 80s.

No one wants to see a player get hurt or have life long health issues but the fact is this is a collision sport. That is not a secret and players play it because they make a personal risk/reward evaluation and determoine the risks are worth the potential rewards. Anyone who at age 50 is having physical issues and says he didn't know this could happen because he played football is stupid or is a liar.

papillon
11-16-2012, 01:41 PM
You have a point. But, if you can make the game safer...why not do so? Do we really need to see helmet to helmet contact in order to be entertained? Why not develop better, safer equipment? Do we really need to see defenseless players leveled onto a stretcher? Tweaking of the rules and equipment can make the game safer while fans are still being entertained.

If they don't want helmet to helmet contact then remove the helmet and it will go away. I'm not advocating helmet to helmet contact, but if they truly want to eliminate it, removing the helmet will do it.

What constitutes a defenseless receiver? If his arms are extended exposing his ribs, should the safety, corner or LB have to wait for him to catch the ball and get his arms down before hitting him? Might as well play two handed touch in the secondary.

Why is a running back basically allowed to be tackled in any fashion (except horse collaring) and quarterbacks and WRs get protection.

Why are 300 pound linemen allowed to butt heads on basically every snap and that's okay?

Tackling has become almost impossible for the defense. A WR catches a crossing pattern sees the tackler at the last second and ducks his head creating a helmet to helmet, why is that the defenses fault?

The NFL has done a lot to try and limit the collisions, but to try and save these guys from themselves is impossible. Football is a high impact collision sport and every one of the players in the NFL knows the risks and has weighed those risks against working 9-5 like the rest of us and have chosen football. I don't want to see any player have issues after football, look what it did to Mike Webster, Steve Courson, Junior Seau, etc., it's tragic, but they all know the risks. Ryan Clark admitted yesterday or day before that he's has reconciled with himself that he will have health issues when he's still relatively young, but he continues to play.

The incongruities of who gets the protection and who doesn't is what doesn't sit well with a lot of people. There are very few rules protecting linemen, hell, they modified the chop block to be okay as long as the guy making the chop block isn't more than one player away from the person he is chopping. If it's dangerous to chop block, it's dangerous to chop block and should be eliminated from the game, but linemen aren't the marquee players, so they don't the same protection.

Pappy

Shawn
11-16-2012, 02:24 PM
No one wants to see a player get hurt or have life long health issues but the fact is this is a collision sport. That is not a secret and players play it because they make a personal risk/reward evaluation and determoine the risks are worth the potential rewards. Anyone who at age 50 is having physical issues and says he didn't know this could happen because he played football is stupid or is a liar.

Agreed. There are obvious risks. I can't imagine a player not knowing them. It doesn't negate the fact that we should feel a responsibility to make the game as safe as possible within the context of the game. I'm not talking about making it two hand touch but some tweaking of the rules is a good thing in my book.

fezziwig
11-16-2012, 07:53 PM
I don't remember all the injuries in the 70's 80's 90's like we are seeing now. It's not just the nice guy in me that would like to see these players remain healthy for all the obvious reasons, it's the " I want my team to win attitude too. " If Ben, Troy, Brown, Clark and whomever that is injured was now playing we, would be doing great as a team. I realize these injuries are not all caused from a severe blow to the head and all that stuff but, just trying to make my point.

I also realize that these guys have asked to play this game and I get all that but, why not allow it to be a safer game ? I'm curious to know the average weight of a player from the 70's era or as a matter of fact, the average weight of players from all decades.