PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone EVER heard of....

lloydroid
11-07-2012, 05:59 PM
...a calf injuring taking over a year to heal? I haven't. If it's torn, they'd do surgery, but since there isn't any surgery going on, what the frick is the deal with Polamalu? Seriously, I just don't get it, and on NFLN they were saying that the team was being so secretive about it, and why won't any media source ask why this injury isn't allowed to be discussed (Typical Steeler BS of thinking they are being tricky, looking like fools all the while.)

flippy
11-07-2012, 06:10 PM
I think 4-6 weeks would be the norm. Maybe longer if there's some sort of slight tear or if you can't walk on it.

Whatever it was, he probably tried to come back too early, re-injured, and had to start over with the healing.

They also may not be disclosing something worse. Does the calf tie into some ligaments around the knee or achilles? Maybe there's something else going on too and they're only saying calf.

SidSmythe
11-07-2012, 06:29 PM
My personal opinion is these guys diets suck , they get away with a lot of stuff when they're 25, but when they get in their 30s their bodies are under nourished and don't heal as fast. Especially with the amount of stress they put on themselves.

I once heard Troy say that sometimes when he gets injured, he and his wife sit around and watch movies and eat junk food to clear his mind. These guys make millions....snicker bars and soda pop aren't good for you!

flippy
11-07-2012, 06:33 PM
My personal opinion is these guys diets suck , they get away with a lot of stuff when they're 25, but when they get in their 30s their bodies are under nourished and don't heal as fast. Especially with the amount of stress they put on themselves.

I once heard Troy say that sometimes when he gets injured, he and his wife sit around and watch movies and eat junk food to clear his mind. These guys make millions....snicker bars and soda pop aren't good for you!

I hate giving Ray Lewis any credit whatsoever, but I saw his refrigerator on MTV Cribs one time and there was literally nothing bad for you. It was all fruits/veggies/healthy food. I've never seen anything so extreme. And I think he mentioned how stringent he was about everything he put in his body.

lloydroid
11-07-2012, 07:25 PM
I remember when Bettis pulled his calf and missed a few weeks one season. But wasn't it the same calf that had him hobbling last season? And he was FLYING AROUND every where in preseason, and then the same calf again? I am greatly encouraged that this D is the # ONE D IN THE NFL without Troy at this point. It is amazing that they re-learned how to play good D without him, finally. That is so encouraging. Hopefully, if he ever comes back this season, and gets in game shape, he will be like icing on the cake for a play off run. But if he tries to come back and gets hurt again, I fear it's going to be another depressing let down and the team will have to figure out how to excel without him again, and I hope there is no learning curve if that happens.

pittpete
11-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Is that the year he took the pain shot before the playoff game and it hit his nerve?

fezziwig
11-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Is it Allen that has now stepped in for Troy ? Maybe it's the team or my lack of football knowledge but, Allen seems to be okay at the position and maybe he's our future at that position.

Steelhere10
11-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Allen is playing well, So there is no rush to get Troy back.

Shoe
11-07-2012, 10:19 PM

That would be surprising, cause I've always assumed Polamalu to be a guy who took care of his body. I will agree with you, with others who I have seen treat their bodies like they were 25. As to why Poalamalu is a walking china-doll, I think it's just him. I remember another year, he basically shut it down the rest of the way. He's great, don't get me wrong. But he's not exactly a fast healer.

SteelBucks
11-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Is it Allen that has now stepped in for Troy ? Maybe it's the team or my lack of football knowledge but, Allen seems to be okay at the position and maybe he's our future at that position.

This is Allen's 9th year in the league. He's playing good ball but getting a little old to be considered our future at S.

Djfan
11-08-2012, 12:27 AM
I remember when Troy said that. It was surprising to me too.

SDSteel1
11-08-2012, 12:57 AM
I discussed it with a guy who trains NFL athletes, and he said he thought it was PED related and said that every guy over 30 in the NFL is taking some form of them, and the muscles build faster, but the tendons and scar tissue don't repair as quickly so there is a better chance to aggravate the initial injury and then it takes longer to heal. I'm not saying Troy is on PED's, but that was info I got from a guy who trains players in our division, and had a short stint as a player in the NFL.

fezziwig
11-08-2012, 07:45 AM
I didn't know he was that along with his career. Where did we get him from ?

SteelBucks
11-08-2012, 11:51 AM
I didn't know he was that along with his career. Where did we get him from ?

Tampa Bay.

I was a student at OSU when he started at safety for the '02 national title team. He was good in college but never thought he would last this long in the NFL. He's been a nice pickup....a lot better than Mundy!

RuthlessBurgher
11-08-2012, 01:30 PM

I thought Troy was a health food nut (to the point that he refused to even drink Gatorade on the sidelines because of the sugar content...he would only drink water during games).

http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/waterboy.gif

steelblood
11-08-2012, 01:41 PM
What is the problem here? Is the assertion that Troy isn't working hard enough to rehab? Does it matter if the STeelers are not fully forthcoming to the press about injuries. It seems to me that most teams in most major sports reveal as little as possible about injuries in order to hide potential weaknesses from their opponents. (BTW, the Ravens are under fire right now for not including Ed Reed on an injury report because he has a shoulder injury which has not caused him to miss a game.) Why get angry about teams hiding injury info? Most successful franchises do this. Am I missing the point?

feltdizz
11-08-2012, 01:50 PM
What is the problem here? Is the assertion that Troy isn't working hard enough to rehab? Does it matter if the STeelers are not fully forthcoming to the press about injuries. It seems to me that most teams in most major sports reveal as little as possible about injuries in order to hide potential weaknesses from their opponents. (BTW, the Ravens are under fire right now for not including Ed Reed on an injury report because he has a shoulder injury which has not caused him to miss a game.) Why get angry about teams hiding injury info? Most successful franchises do this. Am I missing the point?

some fans are mad because they want total access... lol

lloydroid
11-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Is that the year he took the pain shot before the playoff game and it hit his nerve?

No, that was another season. This one was at the very beginning of the season.

RuthlessBurgher
11-08-2012, 02:19 PM
some fans are mad because they want total access... lol

Since TimeWarner and NFL Network came to an agreement earlier this season, pretty much all of us should have total access now. ;)

http://www.caltel.com/images/adblocks/NFL_TeamCam_300x250.jpg

lloydroid
11-08-2012, 03:44 PM
I discussed it with a guy who trains NFL athletes, and he said he thought it was PED related and said that every guy over 30 in the NFL is taking some form of them, and the muscles build faster, but the tendons and scar tissue don't repair as quickly so there is a better chance to aggravate the initial injury and then it takes longer to heal. I'm not saying Troy is on PED's, but that was info I got from a guy who trains players in our division, and had a short stint as a player in the NFL.

A great more players are on PEDs than most of us realize. In order to get caught, you have to almost try to get caught; you have to be really stupid. When millions of $s are involved, and getting away with it is very easy, it's logical to think the use would be pretty rampant. Also, once someone is busted, note what their performance does after wards (as they are tested more often after they are busted, hence can't keep using them). Look at the production of players like Shawn Merriman after he got snipped; He was NEVER a good player again.

SidSmythe
11-08-2012, 04:21 PM
I thought Troy was a health food nut (to the point that he refused to even drink Gatorade on the sidelines because of the sugar content...he would only drink water during games).

Honestly that's not Gatorade...it's water. watch those guys squirt it in their mouths ...it's clear good ol' Bobby Bouche' H2O.

Problem is...things people think are healthy simply are not. Do some research on GMO's (especially whole wheat).
Even our fruits and veggies that are mass produced don't have the nutrition they should b/c the soils are so depleted of minerals and the pesticides used on them are bad.

lloydroid
11-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Honestly that's not Gatorade...it's water. watch those guys squirt it in their mouths ...it's clear good ol' Bobby Bouche' H2O.

Problem is...things people think are healthy simply are not. Do some research on GMO's (especially whole wheat).
Even our fruits and veggies that are mass produced don't have the nutrition they should b/c the soils are so depleted of minerals and the pesticides used on them are bad.

You are right about all this. Funny thing is: The FDA, who is ___so___ concerned for our safety (not for the profits of big drug - cough, cough) is refusing to label our food and tell us if it is GMO or not. Why are they bucking so hard to just let us know what food is GMO so we can make our own decision as to if we think it's safe to eat or not. Funny thing is: Some mice given GMO food to eat ended up with massive cancer tumors. But, no sweat, the FDA really DOES care about our safety; can't you just tell?

lloydroid
11-08-2012, 05:49 PM
On ESPN, they are saying Troy's injury is an ankle. Which is it? Calf or ankle? Oh, we aren't allowed to know because some how the Steelers lying about it will make them win more games. HOG WASH, BS, CRAP, DRIPPING OOZING WET TURDS

fezziwig
11-08-2012, 05:58 PM
I have no problem with the Steelers keeping things on the qt with Troy. What difference would it mean to me as a fan what the guys injury was because, they'll bring him back if they think it will be good for the team. If the Steelers believe it keeps the other teams of balance then, go for it Mr. Rooney and Mr. Tomlin. Pretty soon we will hear compliants that , the Steelers didn't publish the play book for us fans or didn't put the game plan in the newspaper on Saturday.