PDA

View Full Version : Manny Sanders - The Forgotten WR

flippy
11-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Wally's the Star.

AB's got the big contract.

Manny Sanders is the afterthought. He was hurt. He's had a bad wheel. He's had some misfortune in his first couple of seasons while Wally and AB have been phenoms.

But when I watch these 3 WRs, I see 1 of them going all out every time I watch him. And it's not our superstar WRs, it's Manny. He seems to play with a chip on his shoulder with something to prove.

He reminds me of another WR we once had. Manny's the most dedicated blocking WR on our roster - he never takes a play off. Manny's a good route runner and often looks like a savvy vet the way he gets open on 3rd downs. He has a knack for finding a soft spot in a zone. He even reminded me of a certain other WR the way he floated along the back of the end zone against the Giants.

We talk alot about WR value as it relates to TDs. As the afterthought, Manny hasn't had enough chances yet to give us a legit comparison. But let's look at TD % per WR catches:

Wally - 13.8%
Heath - 10%
Manny - 6.8%
AB - 2.3%

It took Steelers fans a while to appreciate a certain other WR. Another guy went unnoticed for many years. But like Sanders, he kept working hard, he produced even when he wasn't touching the ball, he finally got his fair chance, and everyone realized that he was the best WR we had overall.

Manny is smaller that this other WR. But he's a little more athletic.

The thing that stands out about Manny is he goes all out even when he isn't touching the ball. That's unique for a WR. You just don't see it often. Guess the #3 guy has to work a little harder. It may pay dividends for us down the road.

Shawn
11-06-2012, 09:40 AM
I think Ben was quoted as saying Manny could be a #1 on most teams. I'm not sure I believe Manny is a #1 but he would be a top notch two in my book. If he can stay healthy...he will be the reason the Steelers use 60 million somewhere besides Wallace. Brown, Manny, Cotchery is a nice core of WRs.

D Rock
11-06-2012, 09:42 AM
I think Ben was quoted as saying Manny could be a #1 on most teams. I'm not sure I believe Manny is a #1 but he would be a top notch two in my book. If he can stay healthy...he will be the reason the Steelers use 60 million somewhere besides Wallace. Brown, Manny, Cotchery is a nice core of WRs.

Brown, Manny, and Cotchery are a nice core of chain movers, but who is going to score the touchdowns?

SidSmythe
11-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Manny Sanders reminds me of Ernie Mills

Shawn
11-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Brown, Manny, and Cotchery are a nice core of chain movers, but who is going to score the touchdowns?

When we look to them instead of Wallace...it will be this core of guys scoring TDs.

steelblood
11-06-2012, 10:10 AM
When we look to them instead of Wallace...it will be this core of guys scoring TDs.

Manny Sanders will be an RFA next season. We need to consider the fact that we will need to find replacements for everyone except AB in the near future.

SidSmythe
11-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Manny Sanders will be an RFA next season. We need to consider the fact that we will need to find replacements for everyone except AB in the near future.

I have 2 words for you!! David Gilreath :)

flippy
11-06-2012, 10:44 AM
If we'd go get the 2nd stud TE I've been trying to draft in the first round to pair with Heath for the last 5 or 6 years, we'd be all set on Offense. :)

Oviedo
11-06-2012, 11:37 AM
When Wallace officially chooses not to be a Steeler any longer, we will still have a very good group of WRs with Brown, Sanders and Cotchery. We will also get another talented young player to come in and do a good job.

Gus
11-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Probably, our best outcome for the year would be to have Wallace and AB stay healthy and gobble up the bulk of the WR receptions. This way, we can sign Manny on the cheap(er) by him maintaining some anonymity through lower numbers than he is capable of. I would love to see a 5-6 year deal for Sanders.

phillyesq
11-06-2012, 01:02 PM

Interesting comp. He reminds me a bit of Holmes, but without the attitude. Decent speed, but more fast that quick, with an ability to get himself open on intermediate routes.

RuthlessBurgher
11-06-2012, 01:04 PM
I was thinking that of that mid-90's group, I see more Andre Hastings in Manny Sanders than Ernie Mills.

Oviedo
11-06-2012, 01:16 PM
I was thinking that of that mid-90's group, I see more Andre Hastings in Manny Sanders than Ernie Mills.

Yancey Thigpen?

RuthlessBurgher
11-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Yancey Thigpen?

Yancey had a couple of 1300 yard receiving seasons as a Steeler...Sanders still doesn't have 1000 yards combined in all 3 NFL seasons...I'd hold off on that comparison at this point.

Oviedo
11-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Yancey had a couple of 1300 yard receiving seasons as a Steeler...Sanders still doesn't have 1000 yards combined in all 3 NFL seasons...I'd hold off on that comparison at this point.

I was thinking more style about being able to get open and get YAC.

RuthlessBurgher
11-06-2012, 01:35 PM
I was thinking more style about being able to get open and get YAC.

Okay...I was thinking Hastings, because he was a similar smooth athlete type and was effective on 3rd downs.

Ghost
11-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Who is this mysterious WR Flippy keeps alluding to? Just tell us already. The suspense is killing me...

papillon
11-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Who is this mysterious WR Flippy keeps alluding to? Just tell us already. The suspense is killing me...
Troy Edwards :D

Pappy

Oviedo
11-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Troy Edwards :D

Pappy

Gross. I just threw up a little in my mouth when I read that name.

Shawn
11-06-2012, 05:30 PM

Such a great post goes unnoticed. I agree I believe Gilreath to have the tools to be the real deal.

hawaiiansteel
11-06-2012, 08:38 PM

David Gilreath was better known for his ability to return kickoffs and punts at Wisconsin than for his offensive prowess at WR. I also didn't realize he only weighs 169 lbs although he may be a little heavier now...

Height / Weight:
5-11 / 169

Career: Holds Big Ten record for career kickoff returns with 135 and career kickoff return yards with 3,025 yards ... holds school record for kickoff return yards in a season (967) and in a game (189) ... ranks third all-time in school history with 5,265 career all-purpose yards ... ranks fifth all-time at Wisconsin with 721 punt return yards ... ranks 21st all-time at Wisconsin with 1,077 career receiving yards ... registered the second-longest touchdown run (90 yards) in UW history against Indiana in 2008 ... 28 career games with at least 100 all-purpose yards

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/gilreath_david00.html

BigRob
11-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Such a great post goes unnoticed. I agree I believe Gilreath to have the tools to be the real deal.

One names I have not heard mentioned is Toney Clemons. Why is that? He has better physical tools than Gilreath and could develop. There was an article on Keenan Lewis the other day where it talked about Clemons catching a tough jump ball over him? He has Wallace speed with a 4.36 forty time at 6' 2". If he learns to concentrate more, he could be a weapon in the next few years.

Lewis, in perfect coverage, had a deep ball snagged over his head by Toney Clemons, who was playing the role of stud New York Giants receiver Hakeem Nicks -- right in front of team owners Dan and Art Rooney II

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-lewis-develops-into-top-notch-cb-660438/#ixzz2BUehlcke

hawaiiansteel
11-06-2012, 08:52 PM
One names I have not heard mentioned is Toney Clemons. Why is that? He has better physical tools than Gilreath and could develop. There was an article on Keenan Lewis the other day where it talked about Clemons catching a tough jump ball over him? He has Wallace speed with a 4.36 forty time at 6' 2". If he learns to concentrate more, he could be a weapon in the next few years.

Toney Clemons developed a bad case of the dropsies as camp wore on, I'm sure we drafted him and then kept him on the PS because of his physical tools but he needs to catch the ball or he won't be in the league long.

Shoe
11-06-2012, 09:51 PM

That's a good comparison! I would certainly put him there with guys like Mills, Charles Johnson, Nate Washington (I like him better than Nate though).
I certainly don't see him as a "#1 on most teams". I really don't even think he is a great #2. (He would be a good #2 to me at best.)

Shawn
11-07-2012, 12:07 AM

Clemons is a project based on his preseason play. Gilreath on the other hand was shifty, had great hands and had a terrific preseason...actually blew up one game. I really liked what seen from him.

jj28west
11-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Nice comparison

BigRob
11-07-2012, 03:38 AM
Toney Clemons developed a bad case of the dropsies as camp wore on, I'm sure we drafted him and then kept him on the PS because of his physical tools but he needs to catch the ball or he won't be in the league long.

Hence why I was glad to hear he was "Soup Canning" Lewis while on the practice squad.

Shawn
11-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Limas Sweed had no problem "soup canning" in practice. It's what you do in game situations. When given a chance Clemons didn't show anything. He has the physical tools just like Sweed, but who knows if he is a game time gamer. What I do know is when Gilreath got a chance to play, he played his heart out and owned the field. That has to stand for something no matter how small the guy is.

Slapstick
11-07-2012, 10:10 AM
What I do know is when Gilreath got a chance to play, he played his heart out and owned the field.

That's a bit of hyperbole...

Derrick Williams also owned the field when he had a chance to play in the preseason...

The Steelers thought enough of both Gilreath and Clemons to give each a chance to develop as professionals on the PS...they will get another shot next year, most likely...

flippy
11-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Can someone explain "soup canning" to me? I don't get it. I get what happened, just not sure why they're calling it "soup canning".

Slapstick
11-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Can someone explain "soup canning" to me? I don't get it. I get what happened, just not sure why they're calling it "soup canning".

It comes from something Mike Wallace reportedly said when busting Keenan's balls:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-lewis-develops-into-top-notch-cb-660438/

In a scene that similarly has played out numerous times in the 20-odd years they've known each other, Mike Wallace sat in a folding chair in front of his locker Thursday after practice, playfully busting the chops of childhood friend and teammate Keenan Lewis -- standing just a few feet away -- for getting beat that afternoon in practice.

Lewis, in perfect coverage, had a deep ball snagged over his head by Toney Clemons, who was playing the role of stud New York Giants receiver Hakeem Nicks -- right in front of team owners Dan and Art Rooney II.

"I was saying he was getting better until he got soup ate off his head -- in front of the owners -- both of 'em," Wallace smiled. "He got soup ate off his head -- a guy jumped over him and caught the ball. Took the ball from him. It got real nasty. I felt bad for him."

flippy
11-07-2012, 04:41 PM
It comes from something Mike Wallace reportedly said when busting Keenan's balls:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-lewis-develops-into-top-notch-cb-660438/

Why is that getting soup ate off his head? I can envision what happened. Just have no idea why he's referring to soup?

BigRob
11-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Why is that getting soup ate off his head? I can envision what happened. Just have no idea why he's referring to soup?

Toney Clemons stole Keenan Lewis's lunch. Hence the terms eating soup off his head, or "Soup Canning" someone. It is actually a depression era term from the south whence someone would steel canned goods from others in order to eat.

Shawn
11-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Just picture a WR eating soup off a DBs head. If that picture in your head looks humiliating, then you get the picture. :)