PDA

View Full Version : How do you thoroughly dominate and only win by 4 points????

SteelAbility
11-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Geez! A lot of good things in this game. But I don't think I have been this p*ssed off in victory in a LONG time.

3 major brain farts ...

1. Ryan Clark hitting Cruz after incomplete pass. Spotted NY 4 points.
2. After Ben's fumble NOT ONE guy makes an adjustment to cover the case where a fumble is ruled.
How exactly does assuming a fumble hurt your team????
3. Harrison trying to run with Eli's fumble instead of just falling on the ball (not playing the situation)

Even the game-clinching run by Redman needed to end the moment he realized he had 1st down. Again,
play the situation, not for yards.

Sheesh! This stuff has to get eliminated in the playoffs.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-04-2012, 08:41 PM
must be joking

SteelAbility
11-04-2012, 08:43 PM
must be joking

No I'm not joking. We had a game that should have been an easy win and had to sweat it to the end. :(

Eddie Spaghetti
11-04-2012, 08:44 PM
then we didn't watch the same game.

hawaiiansteel
11-04-2012, 08:44 PM
I don't think I have been this happy in victory in a LONG time, that was a great game and a much needed win! :tt2

Sugar
11-04-2012, 08:47 PM
I don't think I have been this happy in victory in a LONG time, that was a great game and a much needed win! :tt2

Agreed. This was a win on the road in bad circumstances against the defending SB champs. I'm not sure I could be upset about that.

chiken
11-04-2012, 08:50 PM
1) jeeze. Ryan Clarks hit was totally legal. The ball was in the air so he sized up the receiver and hit him in the shoulder.. How was he suppose to know that Another guy would nearly pick it off.. It was a Stupid Call by the Ref
2) Heath did run with the guy and Got blocked in the back..
3) when the Refs called that running play a touchdown (elbow on the ground big as day) and that BS Hit on Clark - We should have known the Refs were obviously not working with us today.. Yet we still won..

Steelgal
11-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Yes, there were mistakes in this game, but after some of our road losses this season this was a GREAT win!!! They had some 'unfortunate' calls to overcome, one completely idiotic coaching decision on 4th down, and even more injuries to deal with, but BEAT the SB champs in their place. Great ending to the day.

Terrible Towlie
11-04-2012, 09:03 PM
1) jeeze. Ryan Clarks hit was totally legal. The ball was in the air so he sized up the receiver and hit him in the shoulder.. How was he suppose to know that Another guy would nearly pick it off.. It was a Stupid Call by the Ref
3) when the Refs called that running play a touchdown (elbow on the ground big as day) and that BS Hit on Clark - We should have known the Refs were obviously not working with us today.. Yet we still won..

Exactly!

I'm estatic the way we weathered the storm, never gave up and came out winning this game. Most teams in this situation loses by 17+ points.

There must have been 2 different Steelers games on today. :)

Good Win!!! Here we go!!!!

SidSmythe
11-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Don't care what the score was. They won on the road against a good football team.

feltdizz
11-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Great win.. did the OP bash Redman for not going down after getting the 1st down.

SteelAbility
11-04-2012, 09:10 PM

Clark's hit was legal (in form) but it came well after the ball hit the ground with Clark directly facing the play and able to see the ball. It was a late hit and could have been avoided. Even if it was a bad call ... you still don't leave a chance for a penalty when you just stopped 3rd and goal from the 2 and now have 1st and goal from the 1. Make plays when you NEED to make plays.

If the other guys hustle over there Heath never has to run it down to the end. The return man is probably pushed out of bounds around the 40-45 yard line. Heath was blocked in the back and it should have been called.

Ok, the running play wasn't a touch down. It's 2nd and goal from the 2 inch line. Sneak. Sneak. Score. The refs denied the Steelers a 0.5% chance of stopping the other team with 2nd and goal from 2 inches.

SteelAbility
11-04-2012, 09:14 PM
No. But that makes him even stupider. Continuing to run in that situation is your opponents LAST chance. All you have to do is lay down to eliminate it. Everyone knows 2:00 is exactly enough time to kneel out and win.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-04-2012, 09:18 PM
We give away two games on the road in the fourth Q against two substandard teams - and a third against a good team.

We go in and dominate the defending champs who are 6-2 and getting every call they possibly can. We come back in the fourth to grab the win.

Somehow that is the games that pisses you off?

I have heard from friends who are fans of 1) the Cowboys, 2) the Browns, and 3) the Lions, and all three were impressed that we fought through this game to victory.

SteelAbility
11-04-2012, 09:21 PM
then we didn't watch the same game.

So you think a 4 point win was about right???? I saw a game where simple mental mistakes on the Steelers' players part made about 14 points of difference.

SteelAbility
11-04-2012, 09:29 PM
We give away two games on the road in the fourth Q against two substandard teams - and a third against a good team.

We go in and dominate the defending champs who are 6-2 and getting every call they possibly can. We come back in the fourth to grab the win.

Somehow that is the games that pisses you off?

I have heard from friends who are fans of 1) the Cowboys, 2) the Browns, and 3) the Lions, and all three were impressed that we fought through this game to victory.

Yes, exactly it pissed me off. It should have been a 17 or 18 point win and the Giants had a fighting chance in the last 3 minutes. That pisses me off immensely.
You can't repeat that in the playoffs. If you want to win the division you can't repeat that against the Ravens. Repeating that kind of stuff can leave you stuck with the 5-seed
again instead of the 1-seed or 2-seed, having to win 3 road playoff games. What bothers me here is the avoidability factor. All it takes is a little focus and
concentration.

Flasteel
11-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Board 11
Steel Ability 0

SteelAbility
11-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Board 11
Steel Ability 0

Board Stupid
SteelAbility Smart

SteelAbility
11-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Board 11
Steel Ability 0

Seriously look at the Ryan Clark hit again. Clark was looking right at the play and could see his own man almost intercept and the ball hit the ground before the launching move that hit Cruz. He could see the receiver never touch the ball. Even if it was a bad call you don't leave a chance, especially in today's panzy-@55 NFL.

pfelix73
11-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Your a joke. I'm on the Board side too. 12-0.

On the road, I don't care if the score is 2-0. A win is a win.. Learn the game, and put your Playstation controls down.

OK- look at the play again- Teh DB's are taught to knock the ball out. Not just stop in mid stride.. Learn the game.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-04-2012, 09:37 PM
arguing the clark call may be the height of stupidity.

do you even know what they called?

pfelix73
11-04-2012, 09:37 PM
You are taught to run through the pass catcher...Not stop and say, wee I'm sorry I almost hit you....LOL

pfelix73
11-04-2012, 09:38 PM

110% concur. Just someone looking for attention.

SteelAbility
11-04-2012, 09:39 PM
You are taught to run through the pass catcher...Not stop and say, wee I'm sorry I almost hit you....LOL

Even when you see you own man drop the ball looking directly in front of you? Remember, these instructions have caveats. Intelligent people understand that.

Jigawatts
11-04-2012, 09:40 PM
I think SteelAbility has a very dry sense of humor and he's getting the best of you all.

pfelix73
11-04-2012, 09:41 PM
I See.. LOL then.

Sugar
This reminds me of people who aren't happy with their kids no matter what they do. :HeadBanger

pfelix73
Answer to your question is YES.

SteelAbility
11-04-2012, 09:42 PM

The only thing you left out in your "argument" was thumping your chest. Genius. Why didn't I think of that? All I have to do is say the
other guy is stupid and that makes it so. No need to look at any facts. That's the height of stupidity, pal. They called Clark for unnecessary roughness
or a late hit. But it doesn't matter. Take your pick. Clark clearly saw the ball hit the ground and launched himself at Cruz well after the fact.

SteelAbility
11-04-2012, 09:43 PM
This reminds me of people who aren't happy with their kids no matter what they do. :HeadBanger

Clark isn't my kid. Clark isn't even A kid. See the difference? :HeadBanger

Sugar
11-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Clark isn't my kid. Clark isn't even A kid. See the difference? :HeadBanger

That's why I said "it reminds me of..." :nono

Eddie Spaghetti
11-04-2012, 09:46 PM
they called him for a blow to the head genius.

go back and watch and tell me clark got anywhere near his head.

you are getting worked in here.

winwithd
11-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Clark clearly saw the ball hit the ground and launched himself at Cruz well after the fact.[/QUOTE]

I find it interesting then that one of the writers at NFL.com said it could not have been a penalty for a late hit because the hit came while the ball was still in the air.

SteelAbility
11-04-2012, 09:53 PM
they called him for a blow to the head genius.

go back and watch and tell me clark got anywhere near his head.

you are getting worked in here.

The point is that Clark left a chance for the Giants after it had been eliminated. By simply paying attention to what was directly in font of him he has time to pull up.
I can guarantee you if a Steeler receiver is taking that hit this board is screaming how dirty other teams' players are.

hawaiiansteel
11-04-2012, 09:58 PM
I find it interesting then that one of the writers at NFL.com said it could not have been a penalty for a late hit because the hit came while the ball was still in the air.

the penalty was not a late hit, it was for going to the head. I have watched the replay several times now and Clark didn't touch his head. also, I highly doubt that Clark saw the ball touch the ground because the hit was almost instantaneous.

Ghost
11-04-2012, 10:03 PM
On a day where the Steelers stopped the Giants 4 game winning streak, held Manning to 125 yards passing (one of the worst games of his career), came back from being down by 10, held the Giants twice in the 4th Q when needed, overcame numerous bad calls and it was all on a day where they had to travel the same day as the game and you're mad? You know who gets mad at today's game? A real a$$hole, that's who.

feltdizz
11-04-2012, 10:04 PM
the penalty was not a late hit, it was for going to the head. I have watched the replay several times now and Clark didn't touch his head. also, I highly doubt that Clark saw the ball touch the ground because the hit was almost instantaneous.

Well I watched it in super slow motion with HD... if I can see the ball hit the ground then surely a football player with a helmet on can see the football hit the ground.

Sugar
11-04-2012, 10:05 PM
On a day where the Steelers stopped the Giants 4 game winning streak, held Manning to 125 yards passing (one of the worst games of his career), came back from being down by 10, held the Giants twice in the 4th Q when needed, overcame numerous bad calls and it was all on a day where they had to travel the same day as the game and you're mad? You know who gets mad at today's game? A real a$$hole, that's who.

That, or a Giants fan...

SteelAbility
11-04-2012, 10:10 PM

You can see it here.

http://prosportsextra.com/ryan-clark-big-hit-on-victor-cruz/

I'm pretty sure I was off when saying that the ball hit the ground well before Clark launched himself. It looks close. However, Clark could see his own man in front of Cruz for
a good period of time before launching himself at Cruz. Yes obviously it was not a blow to the head. The ref brain farted there. Just like a ref will announce holding on 68
when it was 78 who held.

The point isn't whether the call was BS or not. The point is that Clark had all the information in front of him necessary to see that the play was over and took a course of action that left a chance for a penalty call. In today's NFL, the chances of being called for late hits / roughing / etc. is pretty much known to be high. And yes, an argument could be made
that the hit was unnecesary and could have been avoided. As well an argument can be made on Clark's behalf. But why leave a chance?

Dee Dub
11-04-2012, 10:18 PM

I agree with you and Eddie. This was a huge win. On the road versus the defending super bowl champions on a day when the Steelers had to play the game the day they flew into New York? Huge win for me and regardless of how many points they won by. I feel geeked about this team.

jj28west
11-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Count me in as another stupid board member just giddy about this W baby!
Sorry Mr SteelAblity for your fowl mood but I must be way too dumb to feel your pain.

papillon
11-05-2012, 02:13 AM
I wondered how the board would spin this win in a negative light and I have to admit, I didn't expect this to be the way. Count me as dumber than a box of rocks, but ecstatic about a road victory and keeping the Ravens in sight in the division.

Pappy

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-05-2012, 10:54 AM
I wondered how the board would spin this win in a negative light and I have to admit, I didn't expect this to be the way. Count me as dumber than a box of rocks, but ecstatic about a road victory and keeping the Ravens in sight in the division.

Pappy

Not the board Pappy, one poster. There is a big difference.

Slapstick
11-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Bad calls could have affected the outcome of this game...but, the Steelers would not let that happen...however, it did make the score a lot closer that it probably should have been...

RuthlessBurgher
11-05-2012, 02:26 PM

I'm on the side of folks who are ecstatic about the win with every possible extenuating circumstance working against the team, but they came through in the end and truly earned the win and absolutely deserved every ounce of that victory. But just because I can't understand how such a performance that made me so happy could elicit the opposite reaction from another Steeler fan doesn't make it okay for me to call him an a$$hole on the board. That's a no-no, Ghost. You know that.

:nono

chiken
11-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Man just think a few weeks ago I thought we didn't deserve to be in the same league with these guys with the way we were playing.. We ALL thought we needed Ben to score 40 plus to carry our team to A victory over a high powered team.
Yesterday we beat a team playing Steeler football, Hitting hard, tackling well and yes pounding the Rock (on the Road mind you). How in the world can there be anything to be mad at with this game.. We just won a Road game.. The Ravens coming up twice doesn't look so dang on scary now..

hawaiiansteel
11-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Sheesh! This stuff has to get eliminated in the playoffs.

http://i.qkme.me/35fh7m.jpg

NorthCoast
11-05-2012, 11:41 PM
Regardless of tongue-in-cheek from SteelAbility, we have heard these complaints on the board before. Why don't the Steelers dominate given their TOP and talent on offense.
I have watched a lot of NFL games this season and people don't realize how many of these games come down to one possession in the last half of the 4th quarter. Been trying to locate some stats on average winning margin this season compared with previous but haven't come across any. I would not be surprised if the average win margin is down on average from past seasons.

blitz71burgh71
11-06-2012, 12:45 AM
That hit was necessary,because after that hit cruz was scared to catch anymore passes over the middle.

hawaiiansteel
11-07-2012, 12:33 AM
Steelers defensive performance reminiscent of seasons past

By Alan Robinson
Published: Tuesday, November 6, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=ykbei zm5D_Ts9$srSVyVXM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtqfFHKdkwN699 6UotnHTkkWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers cornerback Keenan Lewis breaks up a first-quarter pass intended for the Giants' Hakeem Nicks on Sunday, Nov. 4, 2012, at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

Steelers defense yards per game averages since 2005:

2008 — 237.2 *

2012 — 262.6 *

2007 — 266.4 *

2011 — 271.8 *

2010 — 276.8

2005 — 284.0

2006 — 300.3

2009 — 305.3

* Leads NFL

This is the Steelers defense everyone expects, yet it isn’t.

The Steelers are No. 1 overall and tops against the pass, No. 7 against the run and No. 9 in fewest points allowed — familiar territory for a defense that has led the NFL three of the past five seasons. But to James Harrison, this defense has a different feel.

The stars aren’t the stars any longer, partly due to injuries to Harrison and the still-sidelined Troy Polamalu. The schematics are changing on a weekly basis because of the rapid evolution in the passing game. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau has never needed to be more creative or constantly adaptive.

Still, the Super Bowl champion Giants couldn’t net a single positive yard in the fourth quarter Sunday and managed only 182 yards in all. It was the second time in three games a Steelers opponent was kept below 190 yards, something the rest of the NFL’s other 31 defenses have done only seven times.

“I don’t think we’re at that (previous) level — this (Giants) game was one situation where we were able to come through and do that, but we still have a long road to go to get to where we want to be with our alignment, our assignment keys and so forth,” Harrison said. “We’re taking steps in the right direction, but we still made a lot of mistakes and left plays out there we could have made.”

The sacks (14) and takeaways aren’t there yet halfway into the season, yet the Steelers (5-3) are better statistically than they were a season ago.

“I just think that we’re growing and doing it better,” coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday. “We’re not doing anything differently. We’ve had some young guys playing situational football, like (nickel back) Cortez Allen, and he’s starting to play a lot better now. So there’s nothing different schematically, but the packages are bigger now than they were earlier in the year.”

One difference maker is outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who forced a fumble and had two quarterback hurries in the fourth quarter alone as the Steelers rallied from 10 points down to beat the Giants, 24-20, their biggest win in more than a year. Only a few weeks ago, a finding-its-way defense couldn’t get off the field in the fourth quarter while losing leads to the Broncos, Raiders and Titans.

“I don’t think we ever went away, truth be told,” Woodley said. “We’re all just doing what we are supposed to do. We’re just playing like the Steelers play football. We’re just happy to get some things together.”

Woodley has been bothered by a troublesome hamstring injury but is ranked as the league’s No. 3 outside linebacker performance-wise, ahead of Clay Matthews.

Cornerback Keenan Lewis, who has significantly upgraded his play despite being called twice Sunday for pass interference, allowed one catch for 10 yards while being targeted five times.

“The arrow’s been pointing up with Keenan,” Tomlin said. “He’s been consistently challenging and competing on just about every throw. … He’s a big reason why we’ve been hot in the back end in recent weeks.”

Ryan Clark, arguably the Steelers’ defensive MVP to date, grades out as one of the NFL’s highest-ranked defensive backs, even as he and Will Allen — subbing for Polamalu — alternate between free and strong safety.

Despite minimal production from the defensive line — Ziggy Hood, for instance, has seven tackles on 149 snaps — the defense is playing with visibly more confidence than before.

“I think Larry Foote said it best: ‘This team looks kind of familiar,’ ” Ike Taylor said on TribLive Radio. “It’s a no-nonsense offense and defense, the way we’re closing games out, and we’re finally getting off the field on third down. You’re finally seeing that physical style of play.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2898800-85/steelers-defense-defensive-think-giants-harrison-nfl-quarter-yards-doing#ixzz2BVJ7ljfK

Jooser
11-07-2012, 10:34 AM
SteelAbility ------> warp speed engaged in route to full blown Troll Status.