PDA

View Full Version : Keenan Lewis is developing into a top-notch CB

hawaiiansteel
11-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Steelers' Lewis develops into top-notch CB

November 3, 2012
By Dan Gigler / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

In a scene that similarly has played out numerous times in the 20-odd years they've known each other, Mike Wallace sat in a folding chair in front of his locker Thursday after practice, playfully busting the chops of childhood friend and teammate Keenan Lewis -- standing just a few feet away -- for getting beat that afternoon in practice.

Lewis, in perfect coverage, had a deep ball snagged over his head by Toney Clemons, who was playing the role of stud New York Giants receiver Hakeem Nicks -- right in front of team owners Dan and Art Rooney II.

"I was saying he was getting better until he got soup ate off his head -- in front of the owners -- both of 'em," Wallace smiled. "He got soup ate off his head -- a guy jumped over him and caught the ball. Took the ball from him. It got real nasty. I felt bad for him."

Wallace continued.

"We go way back like an old man's hairline. I've known Keenan since we were 5 or 6 -- he's been the same guy. He's been the same snotty-nosed little guy since I met him," Wallace said, laughing about his former O. Perry Walker High School teammate who grew up 10 minutes away from him in New Orleans. "I never really liked Keenan to tell you the truth."

Lewis just shook his head at Wallace, as if he has been hearing this kind of thing forever.

But then Wallace dropped his voice to a near-whisper.

"That's my guy, man. He's getting better every day. I see the progression for him every single day when he comes to work. He's a top-notch corner. He had to wait his turn and he's doing a really good job right now."

Lewis, in his first year as a full-time starter, is a large part of why the heavily scrutinized Steelers pass defense is the top-rated unit in the NFL heading into a game Sunday against the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

Lewis' three pass breakups last week against the Redskins helped hold rookie phenom quarterback Robert Griffin III to his worst game as a pro. Two others against the Bengals included a dazzling deep ball swat of what would've been a near certain touchdown to receiver A.J. Green.

His career-high four breakups were among the team's few defensive highlights in a loss at Tennessee. Throw in a forced fumble against Philadelphia and consistently solid run support throughout the season for good measure.

Lewis is humbly nonchalant about his play.

"I've been doing OK. I've been doing a decent job. Some things I need to improve on, that I'm working on every day in practice," he said in his thick New Orleans drawl. "It's like anything -- once you repeat doing the same thing, and get more and more experience you should get better."

That game experience has made all the difference for Lewis, who played extensively as a nickel back a year ago and was named a starting cornerback this year.

"He's continued to grow," defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. "I thought he played well last year and anticipated him steadily improving in the next three or four years, and that's what we're seeing."

Fellow New Orleanians and secondary mate Ryan Clark agrees.

"He's an extremely hard worker," Clark said. "What Keenan is doing, challenging receivers, being physical, constantly having the correct fit in the run defense, constantly being in the right place in coverage -- he's doing what he has to do to be prepared for those situations.

"But ... you have to be in them first. What's happened for Keenan is a gradual acclimation to being a starting corner in the NFL and now he's getting a better handle on not only the physical demands of it, but the mental and emotional demands as well."

Giants receivers Nicks and salsa-dancing Victor Cruz will further test him. But Lewis said facing teammates Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders -- and Wallace -- in practice have hastened his development.

The hyper-competitive Wallace and Lewis have pushed each other since childhood, and while each admits they've made the other better -- conflicting stories emerge from a still-contested footrace between the two 2 years ago.

Neither Lewis nor Wallace will concede defeat.

Wallace's take: "He lost. He said I cheated. I still won, after he tried to knock me out of my lane. This guy has never been faster than me -- only in his dreams can he beat me. He can't even catch me there."

"He tried to get me disqualified by running in my lane," Lewis said. "He won't admit the truth."

Either way, they hope the friendly rivalry continues for years in the NFL.

"You never get this opportunity in life and we got lucky to get it," Wallace said. "We don't take it for granted. We know that it's a blessing every day. That's why we've got to continue to get better so we can stay with each other for a long time."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-lewis-develops-into-top-notch-cb-660438/#ixzz2BBKUgx6y

RuthlessBurgher
11-03-2012, 03:37 PM
It's interesting that how Mike Wallace and Keenan Lewis, childhood friends and high school teammates taken 12 picks from each other in the 3rd round of the 2009 draft, are both working off 1 year restricted free agent deals right now and will both be unrestricted free agents at the end of this season. It's quite possible that the money that we give to one of them might prevent us from being able to keep the other one...

pittpete
11-03-2012, 04:04 PM
The writer starts off his story talking about how a practice squad wideout takes the ball away from a top notch CB.
Good one:rolleyes:

BradshawsHairdresser
11-03-2012, 07:34 PM
The writer starts off his story talking about how a practice squad wideout takes the ball away from a top notch CB.
Good one:rolleyes:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Chadman
11-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Maybe keeping Lewis will be instrumental in keeping Wallace? Or the other way around?

Or the reverse- lose Wallace or Lewis in FA, and the other could walk too?

Lewis has that look- he's a player, and a keeper. And needed too, as Ike is starting to get shown up this year. Now we need either Brown or Allen to step up next season.

Slapstick
11-04-2012, 10:43 AM
That practice squad WR, along with the de-emphasized role of the deep ball in the offense and Wallace's contract demands , may be why Wallace ends up plying elsewhere next year...

RuthlessBurgher
11-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Keenan Lewis exhibit A in support of the much-reviled LeBeau 2-3 year "redshirt." Lewis was essentially not much better than hot garbage as a rookie and second year player (and based on his glass-breaking tantrum following an awful preseason game in Denver, he was neither physically nor mentally prepared to contribute to the team early on in his career). But the team saw something in him, stuck by him, and he played third corner successfully in year three (on the field for more than half the total defensive snaps) and is a successful starter in year four (on the field for essentially all of the defensive snaps now). Just because players aren't playing immediately as rookies as some would like to see does not mean that the player or LeBeau's system is a failure. Given time to blossom as a professional often leads to a better overall player in the long run than someone who loses confidence by being thrown into the fire before they are truly ready.

Oviedo
11-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Keenan Lewis exhibit A in support of the much-reviled LeBeau 2-3 year "redshirt." Lewis was essentially not much better than hot garbage as a rookie and second year player (and based on his glass-breaking tantrum following an awful preseason game in Denver, he was neither physically nor mentally prepared to contribute to the team early on in his career). But the team saw something in him, stuck by him, and he played third corner successfully in year three (on the field for more than half the total defensive snaps) and is a successful starter in year four (on the field for essentially all of the defensive snaps now). Just because players aren't playing immediately as rookies as some would like to see does not mean that the player or LeBeau's system is a failure. Given time to blossom as a professional often leads to a better overall player in the long run than someone who loses confidence by being thrown into the fire before they are truly ready.

It appears to have worked for Lewis but the complication is now you have to make the decision to resign a player to potentially a big contract with only one year of front line experience. That is a small sample size that can really come back to bite us.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-04-2012, 11:29 AM
It appears to have worked for Lewis but the complication is now you have to make the decision to resign a player to potentially a big contract with only one year of front line experience. That is a small sample size that can really come back to bite us.

that's essentially what happened with timmons, but you didn't complain.

oh yeah, he is one of your pets, so he gets a pass.

D Rock
11-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Or it could mean you keep a great player for a better price.

Who is going to be cheaper -- Mike Wallace, with 4 years of solid evidence as a player, or Keenan Lewis, with 1 year of solid evidence as a player.

If both turn out to be great players, Lewis is the better financial option.

Oviedo
11-04-2012, 11:38 AM

No. You are wrong. Timmons had more starting time than Lewis has when he resigned his contract. Since you are wrong as usual in your desire to "stalk" my posts let me help educate you.

Timmons was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers 15th overall in the 2007 NFL Draft. In his rookie season, he played in 16 games recording 13 tackles.
Timmons' playing time increased during his second season in 2008. He finished the season with 65 tackles, five sacks and an interception. In Super Bowl XLIII he recorded 5 tackles in the 27-23 victory over the Arizona Cardinals.
Timmons took over as starter for the 2009 season following the release of Larry Foote, who had wanted out due to Timmons's increasing playing time. Foote would return to the Steelers the following year to be Timmons' backup.
In 2010, despite getting less acclaim than many on the Steelers defense, he led the team in tackles with 135, also recording 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and 2 interceptions.
On August 23, 2011, the Steelers gave Timmons a six-year/$50 million contract extension. At the time, he was entering the last year of his rookie contract.

As you can see, Timmons was a significant contributor for several seasons before he resigned unlike Lewis who we now will have a big decision on. But keep trying like the the "Little Engine Who Could"

Eddie Spaghetti
11-04-2012, 11:53 AM
timmons was was rewarded with a new deal based largely on one productive season and "potential".

the FO will have to make a similar decision with Lewis.

steelnavy
11-04-2012, 11:57 AM

It would be more pleasant if you tried to make your debate points more on merit and less on trashing the guy that doesn't agree with you. In your world, if someone has an opposing view, then they must have an agenda, or they are haters, or they just can't admit that they are wrong. Nobody can say anything bad about Mike Wallace wihout getting an earful. Now that Crash disappeared, can't we all just get along? :D

Eddie Spaghetti
11-04-2012, 11:59 AM
tell that to the guy with over 10,000 posts who feels the need to do the same.

personally I don't really care if you like my posts or not.

Oviedo
11-04-2012, 12:26 PM
tell that to the guy with over 10,000 posts who feels the need to do the same.

personally I don't really care if you like my posts or not.

To set the record straight. I don't "stalk" your posts like you do mine. I both agree and disagree with your posts depending on merit. As steelnavy correctly points out you hate the fact that we disagree and rarely offer your own assessment but merely complain about what I post. I have strong opinions in some areas and i have some conviction in this opinions. The reason I love this site is because many can handle that and offer their own opinions. I learn things everday from guys like Ruthless, Hawaian, Chadman who always post thoughtful well informed information. Many times better than I.

Much like you, i don't care whether you like my posts or not but don't try to convince folks that this isn't a personal thing you have. It is way too obvious.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-04-2012, 12:52 PM
you flatter yourself ovi.

I don't know or even care about you personally but when you accuse me of stalking your posts, I just have to laugh. You post your opinions numerous times in every single thread that pops up here. There wouldn't be any to post in if I chose to ignore you, which I don't. I just get weary of you spouting the same tired rhetoric in every single thread we have here and also I don't have to "convince folks" of anything. I will leave that up to you. You are pretty good at it.

phillyesq
11-04-2012, 01:40 PM
As for Lewis being elite or not, an elite corner would have made the pick on the ball that hit him in the chest in TN. Lewis has played very well - he had great games against the Bengals and Washington - but that play may come back to haunt the Steelers at the end of the season.

Snatch98
11-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Keenan Lewis! 3 big plays in the first quarter already.

Chadman
11-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Keenan Lewis! 3 big plays in the first quarter already.

He's really stepping up his game the last few weeks. Would like to see some development from Allen/Brown too.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-04-2012, 06:18 PM
This game is rigged. The call on Lewis was phantom, the a PF 15 yd call on Clark for a blow to the head that never happened. Both garbage.

DukieBoy
11-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Keenan Ivory is gonna cost some $$$ to keep around after this year.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Lewis has a great game with the exception being that one (legit) PI penalty. The other was a truly beautiful play and a series of other nice plays both in coverage and in run support.

DukieBoy
11-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Lewis has a great game with the exception being that one (legit) PI penalty. The other was a truly beautiful play and a series of other nice plays both in coverage and in run support.

That was a fabulous play. Really a shame that call got made. Took away from the credibility of the game.

feltdizz
11-04-2012, 09:24 PM
As for Lewis being elite or not, an elite corner would have made the pick on the ball that hit him in the chest in TN. Lewis has played very well - he had great games against the Bengals and Washington - but that play may come back to haunt the Steelers at the end of the season.

An elite player doesn't make every play...

hawaiiansteel
11-04-2012, 10:52 PM
An elite player doesn't make every play...

no, but if Keenan Lewis wants to see his prediction of going to the Pro Bowl come true he needs to make that play...

Chadman
11-04-2012, 11:19 PM
no, but if Keenan Lewis wants to see his prediction of going to the Pro Bowl come true he needs to make that play...

Picky bastard.

:)

hawaiiansteel
11-06-2012, 02:45 AM
Post-Giants thoughts

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 04, 2012

The Steelers didn't necessarily need a signature victory at this point in the season, but they got one Sunday against the Giants.

By beating the defending Super Bowl champions on the road, the Steelers announced their presence with authority to the rest of the NFL.

The Steelers are a team to be reckoned with.

And the Steelers didn't just win this game; they dominated it.

Holding that offense to 182 total yards and 13 points is the kind of effort you can hang your hat on.

If not for some questionable defensive penalties - a pass interference on Keenan Lewis and a supposed helmet-to-helmet hit call on Ryan Clark in the end zone - the Steelers would have given up less than that.

More importantly, the Giants had three possessions in the fourth quarter and went three-and-out in all three.

@ Speaking of Keenan Lewis, he played yet another outstanding game.

Everyone has been talking about who the Steelers need to re-sign this offseason as they head into free agency.

Lewis might now be at the top of that list.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

D Rock
11-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Keenan Lewis has 15 passes broken up after 8 games.

If he keeps that pace and gets to 30, he should make the probowl even without high INT numbers.

Revis had 31 in 2009. Other than that, the next highest number was 27 by Sheldon Brown back in 2005, and a few people with 24 and 25 scattered in throughout those years.

papillon
11-06-2012, 11:13 AM
The defense played well, but Eli is the type of quarterback that the Steelers defend better than any other. He isn't a check down, 3 or 5 step drop and get rid of it quarterback, like Brees and Rogers. Brees and Rogers would in all likelihood have pretty good days against this defense. Ryan, Flacco, Manning (Eli), Shaub (for the most part), even Brady and others that don't get rid of the ball within 3 seconds or less are the quarterbacks that the Steeler defense can feast on. The quarterbacks that get a good pre-snap read, take 3-5 step drop and get the ball out of their hands are the ones that cause the Steeler defense the most trouble. Unfortunately, those are the guys that they will have to defend in the playoffs (well, maybe not Brees, but I think the Saints will get in).

I'm still not sold on the defense as reliable to hold a lead. The offense needs to continue to dominate the time of possession (even if they aren't scoring a boatload of points) to keep the defense off the field as much as possible and give the opponent a long field, where long drives are necessary and mistakes may be made.

Pappy

Oviedo
11-06-2012, 11:31 AM
The defense played well, but Eli is the type of quarterback that the Steelers defend better than any other. He isn't a check down, 3 or 5 step drop and get rid of it quarterback, like Brees and Rogers. Brees and Rogers would in all likelihood have pretty good days against this defense. Ryan, Flacco, Manning (Eli), Shaub (for the most part), even Brady and others that don't get rid of the ball within 3 seconds or less are the quarterbacks that the Steeler defense can feast on. The quarterbacks that get a good pre-snap read, take 3-5 step drop and get the ball out of their hands are the ones that cause the Steeler defense the most trouble. Unfortunately, those are the guys that they will have to defend in the playoffs (well, maybe not Brees, but I think the Saints will get in).

I'm still not sold on the defense as reliable to hold a lead. The offense needs to continue to dominate the time of possession (even if they aren't scoring a boatload of points) to keep the defense off the field as much as possible and give the opponent a long field, where long drives are necessary and mistakes may be made.

Pappy

I would tend to agree with what you are saying. Unless we consistently get to the QB we will have problems.

papillon
11-06-2012, 11:46 AM
I would tend to agree with what you are saying. Unless we consistently get to the QB we will have problems.

Yup, pressuring the quarterback is the key and they have been getting better at least in providing pressure, they may not be getting the sacks, but that's because once quarterbacks feel pressure they tend to get rid of the ball and, it's that haste in delivering the ball that tends to cause errant throws by even the best quarterbacks in the game (including Ben).

Pappy

Oviedo
11-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Yup, pressuring the quarterback is the key and they have been getting better at least in providing pressure, they may not be getting the sacks, but that's because once quarterbacks feel pressure they tend to get rid of the ball and, it's that haste in delivering the ball that tends to cause errant throws by even the best quarterbacks in the game (including Ben).

Pappy

IMO sending Timmons more often is the key. Opponents focus on the outside with Harrison and Woodley. Moving Timmons around and sending him up the middle or looping to the outside seems to be effective.

steelblood
11-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Keenan Lewis will be a UFA next season. He will want 4 million per at least.

D Rock
11-06-2012, 03:09 PM

Worth it. Easily.

NorthCoast
11-06-2012, 11:42 PM

If that is all he wants, sign him up now. Even average CBs can make that much money. Keenan is not average.

steelz09
11-07-2012, 12:05 AM
If that is all he wants, sign him up now. Even average CBs can make that much money. Keenan is not average.

It really sucks that we get productivity of 1 year and then have to sign these guys to long term deals. Timmons was the same way. We need to get productivity from these guys earlier in their careers.

hawaiiansteel
11-07-2012, 03:21 AM
CB Lewis praised

Tomlin praised the play of cornerback Keenan Lewis, who leads the team with 15 passes defensed, nearly double those of the next highest, Ike Taylor with eight.

Lewis also has moved into the No. 4 spot on the team with 31 tackles and has a forced fumble to his credit.

"I think the arrow has been pointed up with Keenan," Tomlin said. "More than anything, he's been consistently challenging and competing with just about every throw. I think that's a great place for solid corner play to begin, to challenge throws consistently. He has done that, has been productive and has been a big component of why we've been hot, particularly on the back end in recent weeks."

The arrow has gone way up on Lewis at ProFootballFocus.com, where the play of each NFL player is analyzed and ranked. Earlier, Lewis ranked 91 out of 100 cornerbacks. He has improved to a tie for 43. PFF ranks nickel back Cortez Allen in a tie for 26 and Taylor at 63.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/polamalu-brightens-steelers-injury-report-could-return-against-ravens-660967/

Oviedo
11-07-2012, 11:04 AM

And that will be $4M less to pay Wallace if he keeps his demands ridulously high. This will be the toughest off season in memory. Could be a big turnover in personnel.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-07-2012, 12:41 PM
And that will be $4M less to pay Wallace if he keeps his demands ridulously high. This will be the toughest off season in memory. Could be a big turnover in personnel.

We could always let Lewis go, sign Wallace, then go to the CFL and sign Joe Burnett to replace Lewis. ;) :stirpot

RuthlessBurgher
11-07-2012, 01:39 PM
It really sucks that we get productivity of 1 year and then have to sign these guys to long term deals. Timmons was the same way. We need to get productivity from these guys earlier in their careers.

What about Lewis makes you think he was ready earlier? He was an absolute mess as a rookie (fellow rookie CB Joe Burnett was better back then, and he's playing Canadian football now). In year 2, he showed some promise in camp and the first couple of preseason games, but then had a complete physical, mental, and emotional breakdown in Denver that showed that he still wasn't ready to be a regular contributor to the defense (but the team saw enough potential in him the he was worth keeping around, even if he wasn't contribute much at all on defense). In year 3, he progressed to the point that he was a solid 3rd corner for us. In year 4, he progressed to the point that he is a solid starter. I have no problem whatsoever with this career arc. Certainly better than throwing him into the fire prematurely and destroying his confidence because he is playing before he is ready.

steelz09
11-07-2012, 01:53 PM
What about Lewis makes you think he was ready earlier? He was an absolute mess as a rookie (fellow rookie CB Joe Burnett was better back then, and he's playing Canadian football now). In year 2, he showed some promise in camp and the first couple of preseason games, but then had a complete physical, mental, and emotional breakdown in Denver that showed that he still wasn't ready to be a regular contributor to the defense (but the team saw enough potential in him the he was worth keeping around, even if he wasn't contribute much at all on defense). In year 3, he progressed to the point that he was a solid 3rd corner for us. In year 4, he progressed to the point that he is a solid starter. I have no problem whatsoever with this career arc. Certainly better than throwing him into the fire prematurely and destroying his confidence because he is playing before he is ready.

I think you misinterpreted my post. I wasn't saying that we should throw him to the wolves when he's not ready to play. I'm just saying that I wish he was ready to play at a high level earlier instead of the season before he becomes an UFA. I wish we could leverage that cheap rookie contract a bit more before having to shell out bigger bucks.

hawaiiansteel
11-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Keenan Lewis and Ryan Clark are both playing very well this season, turns out they make quite a good team...:D

http://connections.smsd.org/nieman/lewis%20and%20clark.gif

flippy
11-07-2012, 08:34 PM

I really wasn't even sold on him last year. I thought Cortez was gonna leapfrog him in the preseason and become the starter. Lewis totally got me by surprise this year. You could always tell he was a good athlete and he'd make an occasional play (usually in a preseason game), but I never thought he'd even deserve to be a #3. The only reason I thought we bothered to keep him around was his size.

I have a feeling that it was likely Lake that had an impact on him because he really came out of nowhere.

I still think Cortez is gonna be the best and I like where we are all of a sudden with all the DBs.

Oviedo
11-08-2012, 09:18 AM

Speaking of Burnett:

cornerback Joe Burnett, who leads the CFL with five interceptions...Burnett, who has scored touchdowns on a pair of pick-6 runbacks so far in 2012 including a CFL season-high 108-yard return is just 17 more return yards away from passing his head coach, Kavis Reed, for sixth place on the Eskimos single-season interception return yards list with 183.

Slapstick
11-08-2012, 10:11 AM
I read that Lewis is tied for the NFL lead for passes defended...15...

If a few of those could turn into INTs....

That being said, I'll take a PD over a completion every day of the week (and twice on Sunday!!)...

RuthlessBurgher
11-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Keenan Lewis and Ryan Clark are both playing very well this season, turns out they make quite a good team...:D

http://connections.smsd.org/nieman/lewis%20and%20clark.gif

Little known historical fact: the exploration team of Polamalu and Taylor died of dysentery along the Oregon Trail. :p

steelblood
11-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Little known historical fact: the exploration team of Polamalu and Taylor died of dysentery along the Oregon Trail. :p

Interestingly, that Polamalu trek came to an abrupt halt when a wagon wheel broke. There were able to repair the wheel three times, but each time it broke again after a mile or two.

And their predecessors, Scott and Washington, were burned alive by the Donner party.

hawaiiansteel
11-08-2012, 02:51 PM
18 NFL Stars Who Are Going to Get Paid in 2013

BY MARC LILLIBRIDGE (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON NOVEMBER 6, 2012

Keenan Lewis, CB, Pittsburgh Steelers

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/734/454/hi-res-155482562_display_image.jpg?1352256236

Lewis has bypassed Ike Taylor as the best cornerback on the Steelers' roster. And that maturation could not have happened at a better time.

Lewis will be a highly sought-after free agent in 2013. The Steelers will have a tough decision to make in determining who to franchise-tag: Lewis or Mike Wallace. Both will make big money on the open market, but setting career highs this season has added to Lewis' value.

Look for Lewis to stay a Steeler because general manager Kevin Colbert values his draft selections and paying the players that have been there from the start. But Lewis will command at least $8 million a year and could get more.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1399370-18-nfl-stars-that-are-going-to-get-paid-in-2013/page/17

Oviedo
11-08-2012, 02:53 PM
And their predecessors, Scott and Washington, were burned alive by the Donner party.

Taste like chicken!!!!!

Oviedo
11-08-2012, 02:55 PM
18 NFL Stars Who Are Going to Get Paid in 2013

BY MARC LILLIBRIDGE (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON NOVEMBER 6, 2012

Keenan Lewis, CB, Pittsburgh Steelers

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/734/454/hi-res-155482562_display_image.jpg?1352256236

Lewis has bypassed Ike Taylor as the best cornerback on the Steelers' roster. And that maturation could not have happened at a better time.

Lewis will be a highly sought-after free agent in 2013. The Steelers will have a tough decision to make in determining who to franchise-tag: Lewis or Mike Wallace. Both will make big money on the open market, but setting career highs this season has added to Lewis' value.

Look for Lewis to stay a Steeler because general manager Kevin Colbert values his draft selections and paying the players that have been there from the start. But Lewis will command at least $8 million a year and could get more.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1399370-18-nfl-stars-that-are-going-to-get-paid-in-2013/page/17

Who do you give a new $8M contract to? Wallace? Lewis? There is probably only one available.

Greatest need with no Plan B is probably Lewis.

hawaiiansteel
11-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Who do you give a new $8M contract to? Wallace? Lewis? There is probably only one available.

Plan B at CB would be for Cortez Allen to replace Lewis as a starter and for Curtis Brown to take Allen's spot at nickelback.

papillon
11-08-2012, 03:08 PM

After three good games and multiple years of struggling he'll be commanding 8 million? Hmmm, I think if the Steelers give him a strong offer with good guaranteed money he stays without going the 8 million plus route. Of course, other teams are insane, so a team out there might pay him 8, 9 or 10 million based on the past three games, probably not the Steelers.

The Steelers are going to have problems retaining players next year without cutting some fan favorites that may be playing in their last round-up this year.

Pappy

Oviedo
11-08-2012, 03:23 PM
After three good games and multiple years of struggling he'll be commanding 8 million? Hmmm, I think if the Steelers give him a strong offer with good guaranteed money he stays without going the 8 million plus route. Of course, other teams are insane, so a team out there might pay him 8, 9 or 10 million based on the past three games, probably not the Steelers.

The Steelers are going to have problems retaining players next year without cutting some fan favorites that may be playing in their last round-up this year.

Pappy

Hopefully being a "fan favorite" will be meaningless. I'll have zero issues if they let Harrison, Polamalu and Hampton walk. I'd love them to keep Troy but he will have to take a paycut to stay. With our cap situation, the pink slips will have to fly. I'd rather keep and develop the young guys more than get one more good year out of a vet.

Lewis and Wallace are probably the two most important players to retain. I do tend to agree with you that $8M is probably way high for Lewis. Something like 5 years $30M with $12-15 guaranteed should be fair.

papillon
11-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Hopefully being a "fan favorite" will be meaningless. I'll have zero issues if they let Harrison, Polamalu and Hampton walk. I'd love them to keep Troy but he will have to take a paycut to stay. With our cap situation, the pink slips will have to fly. I'd rather keep and develop the young guys more than get one more good year out of a vet.

Lewis and Wallace are probably the two most important players to retain. I do tend to agree with you that $8M is probably way high for Lewis. Something like 5 years $30M with $12-15 guaranteed should be fair.

Cutting those guys is easy to say now, but I don't think it's coincidence that the defense has started to play much better since Harrison has been playing the past three games. By the end of the year barring a re-occurrence of an injury he will be the dominant LB that we know, he's getting better each game, IMO. Troy will be a bit easier, since they are thriving without him right now, but be careful what you ask for. Hampton will probably be the easiest to cut and he may play for vet minimum, he's always seemed like a pretty good team guy.

You are probably right about the other two though, their salaries are astronomical and will limit what the Steelers can do for Wallace and Lewis if they don't accept a pay cut of some sort.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
11-08-2012, 04:14 PM
It will be interesting for sure.

Let's say the team is willing to give Lewis $6 million a year and Wallace $9 million a year.

But maybe Lewis wants $8 million a year and Wallace wants $11 million a year.

Would it be in their best interest to meet Lewis in the middle and give him $7 million a year (we've seen what he gives us in 1 season as a 3rd corner, and a half season so far as a starter) or give Wallace $10 million a year (we've seen what he gives us with his rookie season as the 3rd wideout and a starter ever since). Lewis' 15 passes defensed this year are nice, but he only has 1 career interception (last year), and it may be preferable to spend big money on sure-fire big-impact playmakers (like a guy who has scored 29 TD's in 3.5 seasons, for instance).

hawaiiansteel
11-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Hampton will probably be the easiest to cut

Pappy

Hampton is an UFA at the end of this season, we won't need to cut him.

Oviedo
11-08-2012, 06:03 PM

Let's say the team is willing to give Lewis $6 million a year and Wallace $9 million a year.

Would it be in their best interest to meet Lewis in the middle and give him $7 million a year (we've seen what he gives us in 1 season as a 3rd corner, and a half season so far as a starter) or give Wallace $10 million a year (we've seen what he gives us with his rookie season as the 3rd wideout and a starter ever since). Lewis' 15 passes defensed this year are nice, but he only has 1 career interception (last year), and it may be preferable to spend big money on sure-fire big-impact playmakers (like a guy who has scored 29 TD's in 3.5 seasons, for instance).

IMO keeping Lewis may be more important than Wallace. Can we afford to have a weak CB opposite Ike when Ike may be on the downward trend of his skills? WR is typically easier to replace than a starting CB.

flippy
11-08-2012, 06:10 PM
What if Troy/James are healthy? I'm not buying these guys are easy cuts. Besides Ben, these are our 2 best players if healthy. 1 more year out of either of them could be a chance at 1 more SuperBowl.

With the cap problems we may run into, we better win this year's SuperBowl :)

BigRob
11-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Hampton is an UFA at the end of this season, we won't need to cut him.

Hampton and Foote are URFA. Its going to take a lot more finessing to get under the cap than even last year.

NorthCoast
11-10-2012, 11:58 AM

Ike Taylor averages just about 1.5 INTs per year with only 2 in his first 3 years in the league, but the Steelers saw fit to pay him.

Snatch98
11-10-2012, 01:59 PM
What if Troy/James are healthy? I'm not buying these guys are easy cuts. Besides Ben, these are our 2 best players if healthy. 1 more year out of either of them could be a chance at 1 more SuperBowl.

With the cap problems we may run into, we better win this year's SuperBowl :)

James Harrison and Polamalu aren't going to be cut. I agree. I see both taking less money if it really did come down to financials and they still wanted to continue playing. Harrison from what I understand still isn't back to 100% strength. We also need to acknowledge that both players are in vastly different situations than say a Hines Ward or James Farrior. There isn't someone waiting in the wings for playing time. The Steelers drafted Spence and still had Foote with James and with Troy it's Mundy and Will Allen. Allen has been a pleasant surprise but he's no Troy replacement. Let's just hope they both can get healthy and we can really see what either have left. You have to think Harrison is getting close, no clue with Troy.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Would it be in their best interest to meet Lewis in the middle and give him $7 million a year (we've seen what he gives us in 1 season as a 3rd corner, and a half season so far as a starter) or give Wallace $10 million a year (we've seen what he gives us with his rookie season as the 3rd wideout and a starter ever since).

Wallace reportedly turned down $10 million a year this past offseason...he'll be looking for more than that.