PDA

View Full Version : Mendy, JD out, Redman will carry the load

lloydroid
11-02-2012, 02:41 PM
So the revolving door at RB continues. Usually a quad doesn't make you miss much time but I guess it can; JD should be back next week. Mendy's injury could be more serious than they are letting on; I said, when I heard it was an Achilles, that it could be season ending. It still could be. I think not having JD hurts our chances for a win. He was a difference maker, as we have ALL seen.

Now the question is, I took a flier on Redman after having a very week RB unit in my FF league (this, after I had the wisdom to sign JD, and the impatience to cut him) do I start him? My other options are Fred Jackson and Andre Brown (the rest of my backs are on a bye).

Oviedo
11-02-2012, 02:55 PM
This is a real concern given Redman's performance so far. I guess Ben will be slinging the ball 40+ times this Sunday. With the Giants pass rush that could be a problem

lloydroid
11-02-2012, 03:16 PM
This is a real concern given Redman's performance so far. I guess Ben will be slinging the ball 40+ times this Sunday. With the Giants pass rush that could be a problem

There's a reason no one bothered to draft Redman. I'd rather have a legit full back to take short yardage runs any how.

Oviedo
11-02-2012, 03:44 PM
There's a reason no one bothered to draft Redman. I'd rather have a legit full back to take short yardage runs any how.

Don't say that out load. He has some in a "man love" relationship with him because he came from a small school (Little Engine that Could Complex) so he gets bonus love points whether he produces consistently or not.

lloydroid
11-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Don't say that out load. He has some in a "man love" relationship with him because he came from a small school (Little Engine that Could Complex) so he gets bonus love points whether he produces consistently or not.

Well, to each their own. I also think he got love because Mendy is so frustrating with his stutter steps and spins, and Red is void of any moves even coming close to those. But like I said before the season ever started: His style will have him hurt for a large % of the season, and that prediction has been true so far.

Jooser
11-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Isaac Redman in, Jonathan Dwyer out for Steelers Posted by Josh Alper on November 2, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/350x-181-e1351882464927.jpg?w=187 Getty Images
The face of the Steelers backfield is changing again.

It looks like Isaac Redman (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5544/isaac-redman) will be the feature back for the Steelers in their abbreviated trip to New Jersey this weekend after running back Jonathan Dwyer (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5709/jonathan-dwyer) missed practice Friday with a quad injury. Dwyer is listed as doubtful, although Mike Bires of the Beaver County Times reports that the decision has already been made (https://twitter.com/mikebires/status/264415725236658177) to keep Dwyer out of the lineup.

It’s bad timing for Dwyer, who had run for more than 100 yards in each of the last two games with Redman and Rashard Mendenhall (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4652/rashard-mendenhall) out of the lineup. Mendenhall is also doubtful and also not expected to play, which means Redman will be the main driver of any ground attack the Steelers can muster on Sunday afternoon. That could wind up meaning more dinking and dunking for Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1181/ben-roethlisberger) if Redman isn’t able to move the chains as well as Dwyer.

On defense, the Steelers should have linebacker LaMarr Woodley (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4224/lamarr-woodley) and safety Ryan Clark (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/979/ryan-clark). Clark is listed as probable and Woodley was optimistic about his chances of playing after taking part in practice on Friday.

It’s looking good,” Woodley said, via Dan Gigler of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “We’ve got another day, maybe a half a day to prepare to go out there on Sunday. Looks like I’ll give it a try. I felt good out there in practice, I ran pretty hard. It felt good.”

That about does it for this installment of As the Pittsburgh Injury Report Turns.

hawaiiansteel
11-02-2012, 05:02 PM
But like I said before the season ever started: His style will have him hurt for a large % of the season, and that prediction has been true so far.

I give you props, you went out on a limb and made some very bold predictions about our RBs before the season began and so far you have been spot on. :Bow

Steelerphile
11-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Well, to each their own. I also think he got love because Mendy is so frustrating with his stutter steps and spins, and Red is void of any moves even coming close to those. But like I said before the season ever started: His style will have him hurt for a large % of the season, and that prediction has been true so far.

You are wrong that Redman is void of spins. Redman spins more than Mendenhall does. I can't see where people have missed that. I don't think a spin move is necessarily a bad thing though. Now Dwyer hasn't done a spin, that I have seen. Just breaks a tackle and gets going, I like it, but maybe he still doesn't understand how to condition himself, because he seems to get hurt a bit easily.

RuthlessBurgher
11-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Batch also missed practice on Wednesday and Thursday (haven't heard about today). If Batch can't go either (no Mendenhall, no Dwyer, no Batch) then we can't possibly go into the Giants game with just Redman and Rainey at RB (with FB Will Johnson as the emergency option). We'd have to sign another RB off the street for Sunday, no?

lloydroid
11-02-2012, 06:41 PM
You are wrong that Redman is void of spins. Redman spins more than Mendenhall does. I can't see where people have missed that. I don't think a spin move is necessarily a bad thing though. Now Dwyer hasn't done a spin, that I have seen. Just breaks a tackle and gets going, I like it, but maybe he still doesn't understand how to condition himself, because he seems to get hurt a bit easily.

OK, then let me specify: Mendy seems to do too many things that often cause him to be "in neutral" instead of just hitting or making a hole. Even if Redman spins, no one can claim he delays as many runs as Mendy does - no way. If anything, Redman attacks the defense while doing anything BUT delaying in the hole. He may spin, but he doesn't delay. RM is a dancer who never figured out the NFL game. You can't waste time at the LOS. You CAN allow you blocks to set up, but there is a fine line between that and allowed too many tacklers to get to you while you delay.

RuthlessBurgher
11-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Mendenhall spins before contact...Redman spins after contact.

Steelerphile
11-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Mendenhall spins before contact...Redman spins after contact.
That's a good observation but I am not sure of the importance of that difference. However, I think Mendenhall's spinning is blown out of proportion somewhat because I think he spins much less the less couple years, than he did at the beginning. I don't think he did a spin move in his limited appearance this year.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Good thing Dwyer and Mendenhall don't have the running style Redman does, or they'd probably be injured...oh, wait...

Jooser
11-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Batch also missed practice on Wednesday and Thursday (haven't heard about today). If Batch can't go either (no Mendenhall, no Dwyer, no Batch) then we can't possibly go into the Giants game with just Redman and Rainey at RB (with FB Will Johnson as the emergency option). We'd have to sign another RB off the street for Sunday, no?

I just read an updated injury report this morning that has Batch listed as probable with some sort of shin injury, so I assume he's going to be able to go tomorrow.

Slapstick
11-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Good thing Dwyer and Mendenhall don't have the running style Redman does, or they'd probably be injured...oh, wait...

:Clap:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

Well played, sir!

Personally, I think that if the line continues run blocking for Redman like they did for Dwyer, Redman could have a comparable day...

lloydroid
11-03-2012, 01:53 PM

Well played, sir!

Personally, I think that if the line continues run blocking for Redman like they did for Dwyer, Redman could have a comparable day...

IR (strange, those are his initials) is no where near the back of JD. He doesn't have the ability to break plays long like JD. He is slow.

RuthlessBurgher
11-03-2012, 03:47 PM

Well played, sir!

He only does that in the playoffs (Redman's 121 rushing yards on 17 carries against the Broncos in the playoffs last year nearly equals the 127 rushing yards he has for this entire season on 50 carries).

Oviedo
11-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Lioydroid said it best"there is a reason Redman went undrafted." he is an adequate back up but he is not able to carry the load as a #1. I think this season has shown that to be true. We just need to pull for him that he can have one of his random great games tomorrow.

feltdizz
11-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Lioydroid said it best"there is a reason Redman went undrafted." he is an adequate back up but he is not able to carry the load as a #1. I think this season has shown that to be true. We just need to pull for him that he can have one of his random great games tomorrow.

lol... and there is a reason JD went in the 6th...

hawaiiansteel
11-03-2012, 09:38 PM
lol... and there is a reason JD went in the 6th...

and a reason why James Harrison went undrafted.

oh wait...

Shoe
11-03-2012, 10:19 PM
IR (strange, those are his initials) is no where near the back of JD. He doesn't have the ability to break plays long like JD. He is slow.

And neither have shown the heart and toughness to be anything more than a backup.

I swear, I'm so sick of these two pussies sitting out every time they ache. Hey idiots! It's FOOTBALL. If you think you have to be 100% to play NFL football, just turn in your f'n playbook and GTFO. Dwyer is BALLING, and he gets a f'n CHARLIE HORSE (which I'm guessing is what it is), and he SHUTS IT DOWN. F'n Terrell Suggs tore his ACHILLES, and says "Let me try it out in Week 8". Emmitt Smith separates his shoulder in the freezing cold on the hard Meadowlands turf, and he says "Tape me up".

These two f'n pussies get a hangnail, and race each other to the trainer.

Jooser
11-04-2012, 07:46 AM
And neither have shown the heart and toughness to be anything more than a backup.

I swear, I'm so sick of these two pussies sitting out every time they ache. Hey idiots! It's FOOTBALL. If you think you have to be 100% to play NFL football, just turn in your f'n playbook and GTFO. Dwyer is BALLING, and he gets a f'n CHARLIE HORSE (which I'm guessing is what it is), and he SHUTS IT DOWN. F'n Terrell Suggs tore his ACHILLES, and says "Let me try it out in Week 8". Emmitt Smith separates his shoulder in the freezing cold on the hard Meadowlands turf, and he says "Tape me up".

Word. It seems to apply to a large percentage of this team this season.

flippy
11-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Word. It seems to apply to a large percentage of this team this season.

Too bad Hines left and took his hyperbaric chambers with him. These guys could use em.

I think we'll be ok with Redman and Rainey this week. I see a lot of screens coming to slow down the pass rush.

Slapstick
11-04-2012, 10:48 AM

Quotes like this are hilarious...mostly, because they lack any hint of irony...

RuthlessBurgher
11-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Quotes like this are hilarious...mostly, because they lack any hint of irony...

I think it's hilarious that the Alanis Morrisette song "Ironic" lacks any real irony (pretty much just all unfortunate situations).

RuthlessBurgher
11-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Kenny Phillips will miss another game for Giants
Posted by Mike Florio on November 4, 2012, 9:11 AM EST

When the Giants try to tame the Steelers’ potent passing game, the home team won’t have safety Kenny Phillips.

Again.

A league source tells PFT that Phillips will miss his fifth straight game on Sunday, due to a knee injury suffered on September 30 against the Eagles.

Listed as questionable, Phillips fully participated in practice on Wednesday, but he then was a limited participant on Thursday and Friday. Phillips said on Thursday that he’ll play.

It ended up being wishful thinking, driven undoubtedly by the fact that his replacement, Stevie Brown, was named the NFC defensive player of the week for his performance against the Cowboys.

Indeed, Brown currently is listed as the starter on the team’s depth chart, with Phillips showing up as his understudy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/04/kenny-phillips-will-miss-another-game-for-giants/

Oviedo
11-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Kenny Phillips will miss another game for Giants
Posted by Mike Florio on November 4, 2012, 9:11 AM EST

When the Giants try to tame the Steelers’ potent passing game, the home team won’t have safety Kenny Phillips.

Again.

A league source tells PFT that Phillips will miss his fifth straight game on Sunday, due to a knee injury suffered on September 30 against the Eagles.

Listed as questionable, Phillips fully participated in practice on Wednesday, but he then was a limited participant on Thursday and Friday. Phillips said on Thursday that he’ll play.

It ended up being wishful thinking, driven undoubtedly by the fact that his replacement, Stevie Brown, was named the NFC defensive player of the week for his performance against the Cowboys.

Indeed, Brown currently is listed as the starter on the team’s depth chart, with Phillips showing up as his understudy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/04/kenny-phillips-will-miss-another-game-for-giants/

I'll take all the help we can get

RuthlessBurgher
11-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Today's Inactive List:

Steelers: S Troy Polamalu, QB Charlie Batch, DT Alameda Ta'amu, RB Rashard Mendenhall, O T Marcus Gilbert, LB Stevenson Sylvester, RB Jonathan Dwyer

Giants: DE Adewale Ojomo, TE Bear Pascoe, S Kenny Phillips, LB Jacquian Williams, LB Chase Blackburn, TE Adrien Robinson, LB Keith Rivers

NorthCoast
11-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Would any of you care to take back some of your comments on Redman? There is nothing wrong with Redman or his running. He may not be a franchise back but I see Redman, Mendenhall, and Dwyer as interchangeable.

For Mendenhall's career, he is averaging about 62 yds/gm. This is well below top 10 talent. The OL gets some blame certainly, but in the last 10 years a legit franchise RB averages at least 80 yds/gm over a season. As others have stated, 1000 yd RBs are a dime-a-dozen any more given the number of games played in a season.

Shoe
11-06-2012, 12:35 AM
Would any of you care to take back some of your comments on Redman? There is nothing wrong with Redman or his running. He may not be a franchise back but I see Redman, Mendenhall, and Dwyer as interchangeable.

For Mendenhall's career, he is averaging about 62 yds/gm. This is well below top 10 talent. The OL gets some blame certainly, but in the last 10 years a legit franchise RB averages at least 80 yds/gm over a season. As others have stated, 1000 yd RBs are a dime-a-dozen any more given the number of games played in a season.

If you are talking about me, I don't take back anything I've said. He still has A LOT to prove to me, because I have high expectations for him. I've been a big supporter of him, and was very disappointed in the way he (and Dwyer) neglect to seize playing opportunities. The biggest thing to me is the lack of urgency these two have shown, as if starting RB opportunities grow on trees. As someone who thought/thinks he has the capabality to be a 1,000-yard rusher, I don't like to see him ask out of games when he is tired, dinged, etc. when he has so much to prove, as a young back. (The same goes for Dwyer, who took the week off because he got a charlie horse. This could've been him we were talking about, rolling up three straight 100-yard games and people starting to mention him for a big future contract.)

I'm happy to see his game this past week, but I don't step back from anything I said.

Slapstick
11-06-2012, 07:06 AM
If you are talking about me, I don't take back anything I've said. He still has A LOT to prove to me, because I have high expectations for him. I've been a big supporter of him, and was very disappointed in the way he (and Dwyer) neglect to seize playing opportunities. The biggest thing to me is the lack of urgency these two have shown, as if starting RB opportunities grow on trees. As someone who thought/thinks he has the capabality to be a 1,000-yard rusher, I don't like to see him ask out of games when he is tired, dinged, etc. when he has so much to prove, as a young back. (The same goes for Dwyer, who took the week off because he got a charlie horse. This could've been him we were talking about, rolling up three straight 100-yard games and people starting to mention him for a big future contract.)

I'm happy to see his game this past week, but I don't step back from anything I said.

Nor should you, since you clearly have such a great handle on what it is like to play in the NFL...

hawaiiansteel
11-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Nor should you, since you clearly have such a great handle on what it is like to play in the NFL...

and especially while injured...

lloydroid
11-08-2012, 03:01 PM
I think it's hilarious that the Alanis Morrisette song "Ironic" lacks any real irony (pretty much just all unfortunate situations).

You know, that's true. Why is rain on a wedding day considered ironic?

hawaiiansteel
11-08-2012, 03:11 PM
You know, that's true. Why is rain on a wedding day considered ironic?

it's not.

the only irony here is that the song is called "Ironic" and written by a woman who doesn't understand what irony is.