PDA

View Full Version : Justin Tuck: Steelers line gets 'away with murder'

hawaiiansteel
11-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Tuck: Steelers line gets 'away with murder'

November, 1, 2012
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has only been sacked four times in his past four games and didn't get sacked at all last Sunday against the Washington Redskins. Pittsburgh's improved pass protection isn't the result of better blocking, according to Giants defensive lineman Justin Tuck.

"I hope we get some holding calls because they have gotten away with murder," Tuck told ESPN's Rachel Nichols. "They've done a very good job protecting Ben -- they don't hold on every play. But we've seen a whole lot of it."

Protecting Roethlisberger is a major storyline for Sunday's game between the Steelers and Giants. Roethlisberger has only been sacked 13 times in seven games this season. Of the quarterbacks who have thrown at least 200 passes, only six quarterbacks have been sacked less than Roethlisberger.

The Steelers have decreased their sacks without an increase in penalties. The seven linemen who have started for the Steelers this season have been called for holding five times, and left guard Willie Colon has accounted for four of them.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/58148/tuck-steelers-line-gets-away-with-murder

Decleater
11-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Now that's some grade A bulletin board material!

Sugar
11-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Now that's some grade A bulletin board material!

It's also a pre-emptive signal. I'm guessing that the Giants will be asking for a LOT of holding calls. We'll see if the refs bite.

RuthlessBurgher
11-01-2012, 08:38 PM
It's also a pre-emptive signal. I'm guessing that the Giants will be asking for a LOT of holding calls. We'll see if the refs bite.

If not, they could always rip their own helmets off and curse out the refs a la DeAngelo Hall!

Decleater
11-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Maybe all those head bob false starts of Eli's should also be called to the ref's attention -- not to mention all the holding done by their DB's' ;)

Sugar
11-01-2012, 09:42 PM
If not, they could always rip their own helmets off and curse out the refs a la DeAngelo Hall!

I wouldn't mind as long as they were all ejected like he was. :D

flippy
11-02-2012, 06:27 AM
Could the Giants be scared of us?

Oviedo
11-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Has any team been held as much as Woodley and Harrison get held? It's laughable to suggest our OL is getting away with more than the OL who have Harrison in headlocks.

Oviedo
11-02-2012, 07:46 AM

I think they see an improving OL and are trying to get an edge. The short passing game Haley uses should be a concern for everyone we play because it works.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-02-2012, 08:39 AM
I think they see an improving OL and are trying to get an edge. The short passing game Haley uses should be a concern for everyone we play because it works.
$$$
Take it as a good sign that Tuck is complaining about our OL holding...no one was complaining about them the past couple of years...

Iron Shiek
11-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Geez...the Giants have something to say before every game. Didn't their OC comment about the Niners Defense heading into that game and the fact that Justin Smith defensively holds on every play. Then I think Jason pierre paul got into a verbal confrontation through the media about the cowboys. Its every week with these cry babies. play football!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-02-2012, 10:30 AM

Let's see.....Romo just lit them up for over 400 passing yards so.....I'd say they are scared of everyone.

SidSmythe
11-02-2012, 10:46 AM
James Harrison is the one who should have been complaining about this over the past several years.

Eich
11-02-2012, 10:54 AM
The entire concept of holding is an issue. How many times have we seen James Harrison get mugged and no call?

I really hate the fact that holding is just called whenever the officials want. And often when they decide to call holding, it negates a big play and the announcers call it a ticky-tack call.

They should just legalize holding for the O-Line and require all offensive lineman to wear boxing gloves so they can't grab anything by hand. The main goal of the league is to protect the QB's anway. So, whatever they can do (with boxing gloves on) to keep their QB clean, let'em do.

RuthlessBurgher
11-02-2012, 12:19 PM
The entire concept of holding is an issue. How many times have we seen James Harrison get mugged and no call?

I really hate the fact that holding is just called whenever the officials want. And often when they decide to call holding, it negates a big play and the announcers call it a ticky-tack call.

They should just legalize holding for the O-Line and require all offensive lineman to wear boxing gloves so they can't grab anything by hand. The main goal of the league is to protect the QB's anway. So, whatever they can do (with boxing gloves on) to keep their QB clean, let'em do.

An old fashion Deacon Jones punch to the head should do the job.

http://www.prometheusbooks.com/images/headslap.jpg

As an aside, we had new neighbors move in about a year ago, and their youngest son was named Deacon. It wasn't until about a month or so after they moved it that I made the connection that their last name was also Jones. Now that the new sitcom about the alien neighbors has come out (with the Larry Bird, Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Dick Butkus, and Reggie Jackson family...my kids love that show), it seems even more odd to have neighbors with a little white toddler with curly blonde hair was named Deacon Jones.

hawaiiansteel
11-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Steelers @ Giants, Week 9

by Peter Damilatis | 2012/11/02

Mike Adams vs. Justin Tuck

Few positional groups have been as scrutinized over the past few seasons as the Steelers’ offensive line. We graded them with the second-worst Pass Blocking Efficiency in 2010, and they were still below-average last year. After first-round pick David DeCastro tore his MCL in the preseason, hopes for any improvement this year grew dim. However the unit has done well, partially thanks to their other top draft pick, Mike Adams. In two starts since right tackle Marcus Gilbert injured his ankle, the rookie out of Ohio State has allowed just four QB pressures on 76 pass-block snaps. He’s also earned a +1.7 run block grade over the past two weeks, as the Steelers had 25 rushes for 164 yards to his side.

Adams may face his toughest test yet this Sunday in Justin Tuck, depending on which version of the DE shows up. In 24 starts over the past two seasons, Tuck has earned a grade of -1.0 or worse in eight games, and a grade of +1.0 or better in six. After catching fire during the Giants’ playoff run last season, the veteran defensive end has been inconsistent again this season. He didn’t tally his first QB pressure until Week 3, and seven of his 17 pressures came in one game against the 49ers. However, his 9.0 Run Stop % is the fourth-highest mark among 4-3 DEs. If Tuck rediscovers his dominance, then he could overmatch the rookie. But if the veteran doesn’t bring his top game, Adams will continue his hot streak.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/02/3tfo-steelers-giants-week-9/

DukieBoy
11-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Tuck should run for political office.

Watch the Giant DB's hold all over the field, instead.

hawaiiansteel
11-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Geez...the Giants have something to say before every game. Didn't their OC comment about the Niners Defense heading into that game and the fact that Justin Smith defensively holds on every play. Then I think Jason pierre paul got into a verbal confrontation through the media about the cowboys. Its every week with these cry babies. play football!

I agree, Justin should shut the Tuck up and let his play do his talking...