PDA

View Full Version : Steelers and Ravens in the bottom four of cap room

BigRob
11-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Steelers 1.1 million under the cap.

Ravens 1.4 million under the cap.

No matter what happens the rest of this year, we are going to see big changes. We are predicted to be 30 million dollars over the cap for next year because the cap is going to be flat for 2013. I could see Taylor, Polamalu, Harrison, Hampton gone from this team next year or come back at extremely reduced salary.

The Ravens will be either franchising or signing Flacco to a long term contract.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/01/current-cap-spac-nflpa-version/

Oviedo
11-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Can't wait 2-3 years for guys to develop. We have to have bodies on the field now. As you point out, the players of the past decade will be leaving real soon or are already gone.

papillon
11-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Just salaries

Ben - 10 million
Troy - 9 million
James - 9 million
Heath - 7 million
Casey - 5 million
Woodley - 5 million
Kiesel - 4.5 million
Ike - 4 million
Timmons - 4 million
Mendy - 3.5 million
Foote - 3.5 million

Casey, Kiesel, Ike, Mendy and Foote are taking up 20.5 million in just salary (no idea about prorated signing bonuses). I don't know if Troy, James and Heath have any room to restructure or not, Ben has already restructured once, maybe twice. The off season is going to be interesting to some of the core veterans that have made this team great for the better part of 10 years.

Pappy

BigRob
11-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Just salaries

Ben - 10 million
Troy - 9 million
James - 9 million
Heath - 7 million
Casey - 5 million
Woodley - 5 million
Kiesel - 4.5 million
Ike - 4 million
Timmons - 4 million
Mendy - 3.5 million
Foote - 3.5 million

Casey, Kiesel, Ike, Mendy and Foote are taking up 20.5 million in just salary (no idea about prorated signing bonuses). I don't know if Troy, James and Heath have any room to restructure or not, Ben has already restructured once, maybe twice. The off season is going to be interesting to some of the core veterans that have made this team great for the better part of 10 years.

Pappy

Foote and Mendy's money will be completely off the books, but what is the cap hit/dead money on the other players is the real question. I know we would save about 5.5 million by cutting James.

Oviedo
11-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Now who is earning that pay:

Ben - 10 million--Yes
Troy - 9 million--No
James - 9 million--No
Heath - 7 million--Yes
Casey - 5 million--No
Woodley - 5 million--No
Kiesel - 4.5 million--Maybe
Ike - 4 million--Maybe
Timmons - 4 million--Yes
Mendy - 3.5 million--Maybe
Foote - 3.5 million--Yes

Oviedo
11-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Foote and Mendy's money will be completely off the books, but what is the cap hit/dead money on the other players is the real question. I know we would save about 5.5 million by cutting James.

If they cut Foote, who do they have? Don't get me wrong I think we have to have better. They will just have to replace that by likely signing a free agent because none of the young guys have demonstated they can step in.

I think they will try to resign Mendy. The market for RBs, especially ones with ACL surgery, is not usually very robust. This year has shown that you have to have two or even three very good RBs. Redman would probably be the easier RB to replace, but because of that he is cheaper. RB will be interesting to watch.

Unless harrison turns into a demon the second half I think you have no choice but to let him go or make him play for less. Same for Troy.

Slapstick
11-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Cap space this year means nothing next year...

ikestops85
11-01-2012, 04:21 PM
If they cut Foote, who do they have? Don't get me wrong I think we have to have better. They will just have to replace that by likely signing a free agent because none of the young guys have demonstated they can step in.

I think they will try to resign Mendy. The market for RBs, especially ones with ACL surgery, is not usually very robust. This year has shown that you have to have two or even three very good RBs. Redman would probably be the easier RB to replace, but because of that he is cheaper. RB will be interesting to watch.

Unless harrison turns into a demon the second half I think you have no choice but to let him go or make him play for less. Same for Troy.

I agree with you about Foote. I don't think he is a cut. He is a solid player in the middle for us and he isn't that expensive for a starting linebacker. I hate to say it but Jimmy Hate is probably in for a big pay cut ... The Diesel also. Troy should also take a cut but I don't think they will ask him to do that.

RuthlessBurgher
11-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Foote will be a free agent after this season (so will Mendenhall and Hampton).

BigRob
11-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Cap space this year means nothing next year...

Really? I didn't notice that....except for the fact that I discussed the cap next year as well dumb ass. :D

We are predicted to be 30 million dollars over the cap for next year because the cap is going to be flat for 2013.

BigRob
11-01-2012, 04:46 PM

Yep, and their figures are not included in the cap for next year. We are projected to be 30 million over the cap without factoring in these players or Keenan Lewis (URFA next year). Big Big changes coming.

ikestops85
11-01-2012, 04:52 PM

Dang, I thought Foote had another year on his deal.

lloydroid
11-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Just salaries

Ben - 10 million - may restructure
Troy - 9 million - ba bye. Dude can't stay healthy; F paying him to wear a hoodie
James - 9 million - depends if he ends up whole again.
Heath - 7 million - fine
Casey - 5 million - gone
Woodley - 5 million - fine
Kiesel - 4.5 million
Ike - 4 million
Timmons - 4 million
Mendy - 3.5 million - gone
Foote - 3.5 million - not sure

I am glad we will be over the cap that much; it will force them to make the decisions that need made. Bye bye Troy and Casey and Mendy.

lloydroid
11-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Now who is earning that pay:

Ben - 10 million--Yes
Troy - 9 million--No
James - 9 million--No
Heath - 7 million--Yes
Casey - 5 million--No
Woodley - 5 million--No
Kiesel - 4.5 million--Maybe
Ike - 4 million--Maybe
Timmons - 4 million--Yes
Mendy - 3.5 million--Maybe
Foote - 3.5 million--Yes

Mendy maybe? 74 yards for $3.5 million? Please.

hawaiiansteel
11-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Just salaries

Ben - 10 million - may restructure
Troy - 9 million - ba bye. Dude can't stay healthy; F paying him to wear a hoodie
James - 9 million - depends if he ends up whole again.
Heath - 7 million - fine
Casey - 5 million - gone
Woodley - 5 million - fine
Kiesel - 4.5 million
Ike - 4 million
Timmons - 4 million
Mendy - 3.5 million - gone
Foote - 3.5 million - not sure

I am glad we will be over the cap that much; it will force them to make the decisions that need made. Bye bye Troy and Casey and Mendy.

Casey renegotiated his salary downward this off-season and is only making $2.8 million.

steelblood
11-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Steelers 1.1 million under the cap.

Ravens 1.4 million under the cap.

No matter what happens the rest of this year, we are going to see big changes. We are predicted to be 30 million dollars over the cap for next year because the cap is going to be flat for 2013. I could see Taylor, Polamalu, Harrison, Hampton gone from this team next year or come back at extremely reduced salary.

The Ravens will be either franchising or signing Flacco to a long term contract.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/01/current-cap-spac-nflpa-version/

I read on a site that I believe we are not supposed to link, that we are only 13 mill over the cap for next season. Now, after we resign our RFAs and maybe resign Wallace, we could be about 27 mill over the cap. But, that site suggests that cutting and restructuring will get us in good shape (even if we resign Wallace). The only tough cuts I saw were Harrison and possibly Ike.

BigRob
11-01-2012, 06:01 PM
I read on a site that I believe we are not supposed to link, that we are only 13 mill over the cap for next season. Now, after we resign our RFAs and maybe resign Wallace, we could be about 27 mill over the cap. But, that site suggests that cutting and restructuring will get us in good shape (even if we resign Wallace). The only tough cuts I saw were Harrison and possibly Ike.

Every figure I have read has stated we will be almost 30 million over once we account for bonuses and RFA tenders that must be issued. We have quite a lot of RFA's correct?