PDA

View Full Version : Where is Mendy likely to go?

lloydroid
10-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Let's assume he ends up playing some and showing his usual flashes (some good, some bad, some will find him above average, others will not). I find it unlikely (I hope) that Pgh re-signs the guy. That being said, who is likely to sign him?

1. Cinci. Mike Browns always longs for our left overs. Jarvis Green is OK, but not quite enough to take them to the promised land, in my opinion. (He has rushed for 431, 3.4 avg.) I could easily see them signing him and I wouldn't be that worried about it.

2. AZ. They are Pgh west after all, and are 31st in rushing. They desperately need help at RB. They can keep taking our leftovers.

3. Detroit. They keep blowing through back after back; this one has concussions all the time, the other is banged up forever. They need a steady back. Might be a decent fit.

4. Jets. They have Greene and he isn't a full-time, big time back. They need someone else.

5. Colts. They have a bunch of 2nd-teir type guys. Need more talent there.

There you have it.

Sugar
10-31-2012, 05:54 PM
I think Mendy will stay in the 'burgh. That said, if he were to go it would be easy to see him go to AZ. I'd prefer to get him out of the AFC if he were going away.

SidSmythe
10-31-2012, 06:05 PM
If Mendy struggles with injuries the rest of the season he will be in the 'burgh next year.

If he gets healthy and makes some good runs and shows he's rehabbed...some team will make him an offer. Arizona comes to mind.

D Rock
10-31-2012, 06:40 PM
The Carolina Panthers are always down to throw money at running backs. He'll probably go there.

Lonbull
10-31-2012, 06:40 PM
Right now I don't think there's any reason to sign Mendenhall to a "decent" contract --- especially if it interferes with us signing someone like Mike Wallace.

Mendenhall has done very little with his opportunity in Pittsburgh --- granted the Off. Line has been pretty bad, and we're becoming more like the rest of the NFL in that we pass the ball more. But as I look at the Depth Chart I see Dwyer (young and showing promise), Batch, Rainey and even Redmen if we decide he's the better Free Agent for cost.....that's 4 RB's.

I don't see a reason to sign Mendenhall to a sizeable contract -- granted (when healthy) he's probably our best back right now, but has his production been enough to re-sign him?

An "obvious" place for him to go would be St. Louis -- as they will likely let the 31 year old Free Agent Steven Jackson go.

Miami would also make a lot of sense, as Reggie Bush isn't an every down kind of RB -- and the passing game isn't their forte'
Green Bay also makes a lot of sense -- they could use a Vet. RB, and Cedric Benson is only there for a one year contract.
New England also could use a Vet. RB --- he makes sense here as well.

Kansas City is possible if they plan on having another RB split carries with J. Charles.

NorthCoast
10-31-2012, 07:09 PM
If he insists on the big payday, he will end up on cap friendly teams like Colts, Bills, Jets, or Patriots (yes, they are $9.5M under).

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-01-2012, 12:25 AM
If the trend continues in the NFL then your back must be a closer. He won't be called upon as much, but he will have to bring the lead home in the fourth Q. That kind of back is more of a 4 yard each carry kind of back as opposed to 0 yards, 2 yards, lose 2, 20 yards kind of back. For that I would rather have a Dwyer/Redman style back than a dancer/home run hitter type of RB.

Shoe
11-01-2012, 01:17 AM
Mendenhall has done very little with his opportunity in Pittsburgh --- granted the Off. Line has been pretty bad, and we're becoming more like the rest of the NFL in that we pass the ball more. But as I look at the Depth Chart I see Dwyer (young and showing promise), Batch, Rainey and even Redmen if we decide he's the better Free Agent for cost.....that's 4 RB's.

"Done very little"? He's had almost 3 1,000 yard seasons and a SB ring.

feltdizz
11-01-2012, 09:01 AM

SB ring? He was in street clothes the whole year when we won the SB. I think he stays if he isn't trying to get paid big money and shows flashes in our new offense. We have a lot of RB's... but they tend to stay injured... and Batch hasn't shown me jack in the running department...

Shawn
11-01-2012, 09:14 AM

Yeah, I thought that was an unusual statement as well. We seen what he has done behind a crap OL...the first time he ran behind a decent OL...he played really well. I think Mendy is the real deal...a complete back. I would hate to lose him.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-01-2012, 09:56 AM

1,000 is not a true measuring stick for a RB anymore. 1,000 yards works out to 62.5 yards per game, certainly not a milestone number. Today's top backs aim for 1,600 yards, not 1,000. In his best season, 2010, Mendenhall was 7th in the league in rushing yards and a YPC below 4. In his second best season he was 14th with 1,108 yards - but a better YPC.

Mendenhall has shown himself to be an NFL running back, but I can't say that he has distinguished himself. Maybe the OL, maybe not, but I've had at least as much frustration as happiness with the running game while he has been the #1.

Oviedo
11-01-2012, 10:15 AM
If Mendy struggles with injuries the rest of the season he will be in the 'burgh next year.

If he gets healthy and makes some good runs and shows he's rehabbed...some team will make him an offer. Arizona comes to mind.

Whiz still desperately chasing our "sloppy seconds." Actually, it has gotten to be pretty pathetic. Guy can't identify or develop talent to save his life. Thank God the Rooney's know how to pick a coach.

Oviedo
11-01-2012, 10:19 AM
If he insists on the big payday, he will end up on cap friendly teams like Colts, Bills, Jets, or Patriots (yes, they are $9.5M under).

We are talking about Mendenhall not Wallace. Mendy seems like a thoughtful guy and I think he will be smart enough to recognize that staying is a good thing. The question is will the Steelers want him. I think they should. In a full healthy season in Haley's offense he would be a 1,000 yard rusher and 500 yard pass receiver. If this season has proven anything it is you need two or three legitimate RBs.

lloydroid
11-01-2012, 03:12 PM
The Carolina Panthers are always down to throw money at running backs. He'll probably go there.

I don't think they will since they were recently burned by signing TWO backs to top-level deals. I think they might be a little gun shy to sign another back to a top deal. My hunch is they will draft one high. I think it's more likely that they will sign Mike Wallace.

feltdizz
11-01-2012, 03:15 PM
I don't think they will since they were recently burned by signing TWO backs to top-level deals. I think they might be a little gun shy to sign another back to a top deal. My hunch is they will draft one high. I think it's more likely that they will sign Mike Wallace.

they will burn the stadium down if they draft a RB high... RB is the least of their worries. That team needs WR's, OL and DB's...

lloydroid
11-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Right now I don't think there's any reason to sign Mendenhall to a "decent" contract --- especially if it interferes with us signing someone like Mike Wallace.

I don't see a reason to sign Mendenhall to a sizeable contract -- granted (when healthy) he's probably our best back right now, but has his production been enough to re-sign him?

An "obvious" place for him to go would be St. Louis -- as they will likely let the 31 year old Free Agent Steven Jackson go.

Miami would also make a lot of sense, as Reggie Bush isn't an every down kind of RB -- and the passing game isn't their forte'
Green Bay also makes a lot of sense -- they could use a Vet. RB, and Cedric Benson is only there for a one year contract.
New England also could use a Vet. RB --- he makes sense here as well.

Kansas City is possible if they plan on having another RB split carries with J. Charles.

GB I could see. I don't see Bilichick going for him though; he's too smart. KC? I have no idea of their backs other than Charles. They need a QB before a RB though.

lloydroid
11-01-2012, 03:24 PM
We are talking about Mendenhall not Wallace. Mendy seems like a thoughtful guy and I think he will be smart enough to recognize that staying is a good thing. The question is will the Steelers want him. I think they should. In a full healthy season in Haley's offense he would be a 1,000 yard rusher and 500 yard pass receiver. If this season has proven anything it is you need two or three legitimate RBs.

He is less than the sum of his parts, period. We can speculate on why, but he simply isn't as productive as he SHOULD be. I find the stat about us not having a back rush for back-to-back 100 yard games since 2008 with WILLIE PARKER. In all RM'd career, he has NEVER had back-to-back 100 rushing games. That tells me he isn't that great, bad O line or not. Unless Pgh gets him for pretty cheap, they need to move on. Dwyer, Redman, Rainey and Batch will offer more production than would RM, any how. There are undrafted free agent running backs who do well.

Sugar
11-01-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm glad the FO doesn't think like many on this board...

lloydroid
11-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Whiz still desperately chasing our "sloppy seconds." Actually, it has gotten to be pretty pathetic. Guy can't identify or develop talent to save his life. Thank God the Rooney's know how to pick a coach.

This move has Whiz written all over it. And, to be honest, he will work out better than most of our leftovers have out there.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-02-2012, 08:51 AM
If they keep getting hurt the way they have this season, the Steelers might want to keep as many starting-caliber running backs as possible...

phillyesq
11-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Just a few weeks ago, we were all pining for Mendenhall to return. I did not see if Dwyer practiced yesterday, but he did get a bit banged up on his last play against the Redskins.

I'm not a big Mendenhall fan, but if the Steelers can bring Mendenhall back at a reasonable rate, they should. He and Dwyer would make nice complimentary backs, and if nothing else, you need 2 or 3 backs over the course of a season, even as the league moves to more of a passing league. We saw how Dwyer/Redman worked out early this year, and I think going into next season with just Dwyer, Redman, Batch and Rainey is a big risk.

Oviedo
11-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Just a few weeks ago, we were all pining for Mendenhall to return. I did not see if Dwyer practiced yesterday, but he did get a bit banged up on his last play against the Redskins.

I'm not a big Mendenhall fan, but if the Steelers can bring Mendenhall back at a reasonable rate, they should. He and Dwyer would make nice complimentary backs, and if nothing else, you need 2 or 3 backs over the course of a season, even as the league moves to more of a passing league. We saw how Dwyer/Redman worked out early this year, and I think going into next season with just Dwyer, Redman, Batch and Rainey is a big risk.

Yes to this. mendenhall playing is a difference maker that complements Dwyer. Redman not so much as you correctly pointed out we saw earlier this season.

I also agree that a combination of Dwyer, Redman, Batch and Rainey is a whole lot of wishing and hoping. Hoping Dwyer stays focused and in even better shape than this year. Hoping that Redman can stay helthy. Hoping Batch can take the next step to be a reliable Mdwelde Moore substitute. Hoping Rainey can stay healthy and take the pounding in an increased role. Keeping Mendy, if healthy, goes a long way to stabilizing things and avoid some risks.