PDA

View Full Version : Redundant Thoughts 2012 Week 9 – Redskins

redundantman
10-31-2012, 08:42 AM
1. The Steelers are within one game of the division lead (or more appropriately, owning a share of it seeing as they are losing every tie-breaker at the moment).

2. This was as complete a game as the Steelers have played this year. It was the absence of this type of game to this point in the season that led to my parting thought last week: this team had nothing more to show us. Apparently I was wrong. At least I am performing a valuable function in life.

http://i.imgur.com/AG6hb.gif

3. Why did the Steelers win this game? If you had to pick one thing, one difference between this game and all the others this year, what was the defining factor in this team all of a sudden looking competent for 60 minutes?

4. According to this (http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/penalties-per-game) the Steelers are 25th in the league for fewest penalties. Notice that the team that is #1 in fewest penalties is also undefeated and the team that is 2nd is the Steelers next opponent.

5. I’ve always liked the Redskins. It’s hard to not like a team who proudly promotes “hating the Cowboys” as part of their core beliefs.

http://memecrunch.com/meme/8YAR/cowboys-suck/image.png
Well, duh …

6. For the first time this year the Steelers have a “winning streak” of more than one game.

7. For the first time this year the Steelers are above .500.

8. I guess the point is that we need to decide whether we are seeing flashes of brilliance and great things to come or the blind nut is finding the squirrel and this team will turn back into a penalty machine against the Giants or any team with a reasonable defense. The Redskins are probably the only team in the NFL whose secondary looks up to Ike Taylor.

9. I am kind of bagging on this victory aren’t I?

http://i.imgur.com/hwQVG.jpg
This is how the magic happens @ Redundantman Studios – but with fewer women of course …

10. Much is being made of the idea that this offense is a “dink and dunk” offense. Clearly the offense has changed under Haley. This week was the first time it appeared consistent and effective.

11. The other obvious wildcard was the Redskins inability to catch a pass. If only there was a convenient joke that would allow me to tie in Halloween candy and the Redskins receivers “slippery” hands, as it were.

12. Dwyer is an intriguing development. It was my understanding that the Redskins have a respected front 7 on their defense. There are always extenuating circumstances when evaluating individual performance in team sports but, suffice to say, I am glad to see him get more carries in the coming games.

13. Yeah, yeah, Deangelo Hall blah blah blah … Look, Hall isn’t sneaking up on anyone. His antics are hardly worth a mention.

14. Great defense or bad receivers?

http://i.imgur.com/1jzZa.gif
... or big truck?

15. I’d be willing to bet that the average Steeler fan feels much better about their team’s 4-3 than the average Ravens fan feels about their 5-2. Based on the most myopic of perspectives, the two heavyweights of the AFC North appear to be headed in opposite directions.

16. Perspective: Sorry guys, I can’t get past the idea that we are treading water until about 8 PM EST on December 2nd. At that point we will know the mettle of this team. By that point the offense will either settle down or it won’t. By that point the Steelers should have some injured players back or they won’t. And I’d think the Steelers would do well to adopt a bit of that mindset. Keep it simple, win the division.

Djfan
10-31-2012, 09:00 AM
16. Perspective: Sorry guys, I can’t get past the idea that we are treading water until about 8 PM EST on December 2nd. At that point we will know the mettle of this team. By that point the offense will either settle down or it won’t. By that point the Steelers should have some injured players back or they won’t. And I’d think the Steelers would do well to adopt a bit of that mindset. Keep it simple, win the division.

Well said. I agree. It's really up to the team to dig deep and man up. But, it feels good to know that this core has done it before and that it is there if they want it.

Rats suck.

Oviedo
10-31-2012, 09:15 AM

We need to do a lot more than tread water until Dec. 2nd or it will be too late to do anything. The next 4 weeks will define what we are as a team...contenders or pretenders?????

fordfixer
10-31-2012, 09:23 AM
well done again thanks for posting:tt1

flippy
10-31-2012, 12:26 PM
I always pictured Redundantman Studios being in a dark, damp basement. Think horror movie.

papillon
10-31-2012, 03:32 PM
10. Much is being made of the idea that this offense is a “dink and dunk” offense. Clearly the offense has changed under Haley. This week was the first time it appeared consistent and effective.

Yup, there it is; it has looked different, but the results were the same (middle of the pack). This game was a start to finish type of game for the offense and the Steelers will need this to be the norm and not the exception this year. The defense isn't from 2008 and they need to spend as little time on the field as possible.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
10-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Yup, there it is; it has looked different, but the results were the same (middle of the pack). This game was a start to finish type of game for the offense and the Steelers will need this to be the norm and not the exception this year. The defense isn't from 2008 and they need to spend as little time on the field as possible.

Pappy

However, the main difference between the Haley offense and past offenses is that Ben's TD-to-INT ratio is nearly 5-to-1, and he is averaging less than 2 sacks per game. When our defense is not producing turnovers or sacking the QB, it is important that our QB isn't turning the ball over or getting sacked himself either (and that's exactly what's happening this year).

ikestops85
10-31-2012, 03:50 PM

Pappy

Bingo Pappy! We have to be an offensive based team this year. The defense isn't up to carrying the load like they have in years past.

redundantman
11-01-2012, 06:31 AM
Well said. I agree. It's really up to the team to dig deep and man up. But, it feels good to know that this core has done it before and that it is there if they want it.

Rats suck.
Yeah, but at some point "been there done that" quickly becomes "too damn old and on injured reserve". What I'd like to see is Ben putting this team on his shoulders and delivering another Super Bowl or two (or three ... I'm not greedy though). The defense cannot get the Steelers there any longer.

redundantman
11-01-2012, 06:34 AM
We need to do a lot more than tread water until Dec. 2nd or it will be too late to do anything. The next 4 weeks will define what we are as a team...contenders or pretenders?????
Somebody from the AFC North is going to the playoffs and if current trends hold up the Ravens just don't look like they will be scaring anyone. The sTeelers can lose to the Giants and the Chiefs but if they take the three Ravens-Browns-Ravens games they will be right back in the hunt at just the right time.

redundantman
11-01-2012, 06:35 AM
well done again thanks for posting:tt1
Thank you!

redundantman
11-01-2012, 06:36 AM
I always pictured Redundantman Studios being in a dark, damp basement. Think horror movie.
I live in Houston Texas ... what are these "basements" you speak of?

redundantman
11-01-2012, 06:38 AM

PappyThis game could sooth many ills including Haley's credibility with his players. If they start believing in one another this game can be seen as a defining moment in the 2012 season. Fireworks only look pretty when they explode. Zen, baby.

redundantman
11-01-2012, 06:38 AM
However, the main difference between the Haley offense and past offenses is that Ben's TD-to-INT ratio is nearly 5-to-1, and he is averaging less than 2 sacks per game. When our defense is not producing turnovers or sacking the QB, it is important that our QB isn't turning the ball over or getting sacked himself either (and that's exactly what's happening this year).Interesting and illuminating stats there.

Jigawatts
11-01-2012, 01:08 PM
So far under the Haley regime I think the offense is much improved over the Arians era. The higher scores/blowouts will come once the defense starts getting the ball and special teams stops blocking people in the back, holding, running out of bounds, and whatever else they do to help the other team.

Now where do I get one of those useless boxes?

RuthlessBurgher
11-01-2012, 01:23 PM
I live in Houston Texas ... what are these "basements" you speak of?

Drive to San Antonio. Look around inside the Alamo. When you find this, you are in the basement:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/b9vfl4b63pm8mjnawqvjMggGo1_500.jpg

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Drive to San Antonio. Look around inside the Alamo. When you find this, you are in the basement:

Hey, NEPA, don't be dissin' THE Alamo!

(You knew I'd be posting, didn't you?! It's not that I mind all that much, but that GhettoScott can be pretty hard to control sometimes ... :smile::grin:)

RuthlessBurgher
11-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Hey, NEPA, don't be dissin' THE Alamo!

(You knew I'd be posting, didn't you?! It's not that I mind all that much, but that GhettoScott can be pretty hard to control sometimes ... :smile::grin:)

The only place in Texas that I have been to is Dallas, but my wife has been to San Antonio before, and in our dining room we have a framed picture that she took of the Alamo as well as 2 more framed pictures that she took of your Riverwalk. She said that she wants to bring the family there at some point in the future, and I'll certainly let you know if that ever comes to pass.
:Cheers

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-01-2012, 01:49 PM
That would be nothing short of awesome!:Cheers:-D

papillon
11-01-2012, 02:22 PM
However, the main difference between the Haley offense and past offenses is that Ben's TD-to-INT ratio is nearly 5-to-1, and he is averaging less than 2 sacks per game. When our defense is not producing turnovers or sacking the QB, it is important that our QB isn't turning the ball over or getting sacked himself either (and that's exactly what's happening this year).

This is all true; however, the offense as a whole is still middle of the pack, no different than Bruce Arians offense at this point. It only functions differently, short passes, keep the QB healthy, take shots when you get them as opposed to very vertical, Ben scrambling making something out of nothing and rarely taking the check down. The problem is that the red zone is still an issue and the Steelers aren't scoring as much as is necessary. As a fan, I can't worry whether Ben plays one more year or one more decade, if the Steelers aren't doing any better with the new "style" what's the purpose?

When the Redskins game on offense becomes the norm and 27 points (which would put them at 4th in scoring offense) becomes habitual then the new offense will be making a difference. As of right now, they are dead in the middle at number 16 in scoring offense (they were 20th last year), so to me, moving up 4 spots isn't enough to coronate Haley as greater than Arians, he's simply going about being mediocre in a different manner.

The new style may allow Ben to get another hefty contract (due to being healthy enough to continue playing) to add to his already rather large financial reserve, but if it doesn't produce more deep runs in the playoffs or Super Bowls, as a fan it doesn't really matter and it may as well have been Arians running the offense.

If 27 points per game becomes the norm, rather than 21,22 or 23, and whether its against the worst or best defense then the change will be substantial (although, this wouldn't guarantee winning, it would put them in a better position to win in today's game.) and then Haley will have made a difference.

Right now, I see a different way of getting to the same place, like taking the alternate route from Google maps rather than the primary route, you get to the same place, just using different roads.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
11-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Right now, I see a different way of getting to the same place, like taking the alternate route from Google maps rather than the primary route, you get to the same place, just using different roads.

Using this analogy, Arians was using unreliable Apple maps...his route kept getting Ben into wreck after wreck after wreck.

If we are 16th in scoring offense and have a healthy quarterback going into the playoffs, rather than 20th in scoring offense and have a ridiculously banged up quarterback heading into the playoffs, I'll be happy. A healthy Ben can do some real damage come playoff time...a rickety old broken down Ben doesn't give you the same odds at reaching (and potentially winning) another Super Bowl. Let's hope that we never have see that TV graphic documenting all of the various injuries he has accumulated to his assorted body parts.

ikestops85
11-01-2012, 04:11 PM
This is all true; however, the offense as a whole is still middle of the pack, no different than Bruce Arians offense at this point. It only functions differently, short passes, keep the QB healthy, take shots when you get them as opposed to very vertical, Ben scrambling making something out of nothing and rarely taking the check down. The problem is that the red zone is still an issue and the Steelers aren't scoring as much as is necessary. As a fan, I can't worry whether Ben plays one more year or one more decade, if the Steelers aren't doing any better with the new "style" what's the purpose?

When the Redskins game on offense becomes the norm and 27 points (which would put them at 4th in scoring offense) becomes habitual then the new offense will be making a difference. As of right now, they are dead in the middle at number 16 in scoring offense (they were 20th last year), so to me, moving up 4 spots isn't enough to coronate Haley as greater than Arians, he's simply going about being mediocre in a different manner.

The new style may allow Ben to get another hefty contract (due to being healthy enough to continue playing) to add to his already rather large financial reserve, but if it doesn't produce more deep runs in the playoffs or Super Bowls, as a fan it doesn't really matter and it may as well have been Arians running the offense.

If 27 points per game becomes the norm, rather than 21,22 or 23, and whether its against the worst or best defense then the change will be substantial (although, this wouldn't guarantee winning, it would put them in a better position to win in today's game.) and then Haley will have made a difference.

Pappy

While I agree the offense is still middle of the pack it has certainly shown improvement since game 1. I think you can see improvement with each game that has been played. I read that after 2 games the steelers were ranked 25th in offense and now they are ranked 10th. I'm sure the ranking is by yardage which I don't put a lot of stock in but it does show that they have improved.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are averaging 25 or 26 points a game by the end of the season. I'm impressed. :tt2

Sugar
11-01-2012, 04:32 PM
While I agree the offense is still middle of the pack it has certainly shown improvement since game 1. I think you can see improvement with each game that has been played. I read that after 2 games the steelers were ranked 25th in offense and now they are ranked 10th. I'm sure the ranking is by yardage which I don't put a lot of stock in but it does show that they have improved.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are averaging 25 or 26 points a game by the end of the season. I'm impressed. :tt2

I agree with this. There's something to be said for growing and the Steelers O seems to be on the right side of the momentum chart at this point.

Jigawatts
11-01-2012, 08:14 PM

And tell them Large Marge sent you.

RuthlessBurgher
11-01-2012, 08:36 PM
And tell them Large Marge sent you.

http://www.nypost.com/r/nypost/blogs/popwrap/200807/Images/200807_Large-Marge.jpg