PDA

View Full Version : Report: Mike Wallace likely done in Pittsburgh

hawaiiansteel
10-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Report: Mike Wallace likely done in Pittsburgh

October 28, 2012 by Paul Jackiewicz

According to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, wide receiver Mike Wallace likely won’t be back with the Pittsburgh Steelers next season, after a sub par year so far.

“Mike Wallace, having a subpar season in Pittsburgh while working under the restricted free agent tender, looks set to depart in the offseason barring a major change in the second half of the season. Wallace (29 receptions, 397 yards, 4 TD) has not been a vertical threat this season, has struggled for consistency since coming back from a prolonged holdout, and is no longer the team’s top pass-catching option.

“Wallace seems to be struggling with the emergence of recently-extended Antonio Brown as the No. 1 receiver. Wallace’s confidence has waned and the Steelers would not be inclined to franchise him a second time, or pay him the $11 million or so a year he was seeking in the offseason, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

All signs are pointing to a departure, unless Wallace was seeking to significantly alter his demands, and that’s unlikely at this point given his stance last offseason. The Steelers want to extend receiver Emmanuel Sanders as well, and won’t tie up too much money in any one position. Aditionally, letting Wallace walk would land them a strong compensatory pick,” wrote La Canfora.

It will be interesting to see if a team is willing to overpay to acquire Wallace in free agency. So far he hasn’t looked like a dominant number one receiver.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/report_mike_wallace_likely_done_in_pittsburgh/12078085

Sugar
10-29-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm sure the FO will do the right thing. This is not the kind of drama that's even worth considering in the middle of the season.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-29-2012, 09:14 PM
ridiculous article.

start with the fact wallace has never been franchised, so to franchise him "again" seems impossible. And its kinda hard to be a vertical threat when you rarely throw it deep. The rest about confidence and having a sub par year is purely subjective.

I don't believe wallace will be a steeler next year either, but this report is just a whole pile of slop.

Ghost
10-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Why do you guys think they have not even tried to go deep to Wallace? After Ben said he has no issues trusting Wallace; I thought for sure we would see it in the skins game, especially in the second half. Washington has a weak secondary.

D Rock
10-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Seriously...they go from talking about him working under the restricted FA tender, to saying he has been franchised this year. No way anyone who knows football wrote this, so it has no credibility in my opinion.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-29-2012, 09:31 PM
its the new offense. I like it, but I cannot blame wallace if he is getting frustrated. I'm sure this will turn into the usual wallace pile on, but there should be some debate on if wallace is being used to his strengths which is the coaches responsibility.

playing devils advocate, its like we are using a ferrari to make a trip to the grocery store.

Oviedo
10-29-2012, 09:35 PM
its the new offense. I like it, but I cannot blame wallace if he is getting frustrated. I'm sure this will turn into the usual wallace pile on, but there should be some debate on if wallace is being used to his strengths which is the coaches responsibility.

playing devils advocate, its like we are using a ferrari to make a trip to the grocery store.

The coaches are doing the right thing by having an offense that everyone is thriving under. Wallace's desire for a big contract should have no bearing on anything. It's about the team not Wallace.

hawaiiansteel
10-29-2012, 09:40 PM
there should be some debate on if wallace is being used to his strengths which is the coaches responsibility.

that's actually a pretty good analogy...:Cheers

Eddie Spaghetti
10-29-2012, 09:56 PM
The coaches are doing the right thing by having an offense that everyone is thriving under. Wallace's desire for a big contract should have no bearing on anything. It's about the team not Wallace.

gee, thanks for letting me me know its about the team. Never thought of it that way.

I never said wallaces desire for a new contract should have any bearing on how the steelers call plays, that is your bias speaking. What I said is that there is some debate on if wallace is being used correctly. Maybe haley is setting up more deep balls later in the year, as I do believe the time will come where we need to stretch the field more.

I have said I like the offense and believe it will evolve, but your disdain and disgust for wallace will always color how you view his role. I guess he should keep playing football for far below his market value to please you.

D Rock
10-29-2012, 10:05 PM
that's actually a pretty good analogy...:Cheers

The Ferrari analogy is already taken in Pittsburgh, you're going to have to try again Eddie.

Ghost
10-29-2012, 10:05 PM
There is no reason not to use Wallace to spread the field a couple of times a game. Maybe Haley is waiting for later to open things up. Don't see how that would go against the current plans. The O line has shown they are capable of giving Ben plenty of time for a deep ball.

skyhawk
10-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Wallace is still on his way to a 1000 yard season (right along with Brown - that's TWO 1,000 yard receivers AGAIN). He is second on the team behind Miller with 4 TDs. He only has four fewer catches less than Brown so far. He may not be getting deep like before but his speed is being used in the short passing game still AND he is running as hard as ever if not more so.

Soooo, I don't get all of the nay saying. A very BALANCED attack by Big Ben.

Antonio Brown (http://www.nfl.com/players/antoniobrown/profile?id=BRO000001)

Mike Wallace (http://www.nfl.com/players/mikewallace/profile?id=WAL468678)

Heath Miller (http://www.nfl.com/players/heathmiller/profile?id=MIL243606)

Chadman
10-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Actually, Chadman thinks Wallace is playing quite well, outside of the previous week's drops.

It's a new offence we are seeing. It could be that Wallace is somewhat more redundant in it. That said, Chadman is still convinced Wallace is the best attacking weapon not named Roethlisberger on the team.

Looks like he'll be playing elsewhere next season, and personally Chadman isn't super happy about that. Chances are, some team will use him as a deep threat, and he'll be dangerous for someone else. Will the Steelers survive losing him? Probably. Will they be better off without him? No, not likely.

RuthlessBurgher
10-30-2012, 12:09 AM
Wallace and Brown seem to be neck and neck this year...Brown has 4 more catches for 21 more yards, but Wallace has 3 more TD's. Yet people criticize Wallace because he is not living up to some imaginary contract. In real life, Wallace is making $2.7 million for this season. Brown signed a long term deal averaging $8 million per year. Frankly, we are getting much more bang for our buck with Wallace than Brown right now, but you never hear about Brown not living up to his new real contract...only Wallace not living up to his imaginary contract.

D Rock
10-30-2012, 07:27 AM
Wallace and Brown seem to be neck and neck this year...Brown has 4 more catches for 21 more yards, but Wallace has 3 more TD's. Yet people criticize Wallace because he is not living up to some imaginary contract. In real life, Wallace is making $2.7 million for this season. Brown signed a long term deal averaging $8 million per year. Frankly, we are getting much more bang for our buck with Wallace than Brown right now, but you never hear about Brown not living up to his new real contract...only Wallace not living up to his imaginary contract.

similarly, we hear all this crap about Mike Wallace being a me-first kinda guy, but what has he ever said or acted out to show that?

I see Brown hamming it up pretty regularly on the field. He might be worse than Santonio was in that regard.

Oviedo
10-30-2012, 07:56 AM

Wallace is worth about what Brown got. As I said in the off sesason let this season play itself out. I think that they are worth equal money is proving itself to be an accurate assessment. Both are valuable parts of the team and it would be great if they were both here for many more years, however that is totally up to Wallace.

grotonsteel
10-30-2012, 08:37 AM

Very well said...

Mike Wallace is the numero uno WR on this Steelers squad.

flippy
10-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Last year, we threw a lot of deep balls to Wally. Ben got sacked a lot.

This year, we don't go deep and Ben stays upright.

If you don't have a good/great OLine, you don't throw deep. That's football 101. Haley seems to get what BA missed. And I'd rather have a healthy Ben going into the post season anyway. Because then, you can change tendencies and game plan for 1 game.

We've now got this violent RB, that's exciting the OLine, and we're on the verge of attacking teams with a running game that will open up the play action. PA is a way to throw down field without as much risk to getting your QB hit/killed.

This offense is starting to work for us. Who cares about the individuals?

The more this offense works, the more of a threat Wally becomes. How do you cover Wally, Brown, Sanders, Heath and stop JD? We're developing a balance we haven't had for a while on Offense. That's going to be hard to defend. Wally needs help over the top. The other 3 guys are now likely 1 on 1. That's 6 defenders in the box and if you get a hat on a hat, JD had one guy to beat and he's gonna hit that guy hard and bounce off him many times for a big gain. If you go bigger to stop the run, Wally's gonna get some 1 on 1.

SidSmythe
10-30-2012, 09:14 AM

Do you think it would be any different if WALLACE got the money he held out for???

Wallace has shown to me that he's not worth the money he is asking for.

feltdizz
10-30-2012, 09:22 AM

Sorry Ruthless but this post makes absolutely no sense at all. Are you suggesting Wallace should sign his next contract in the $3.5 mill per year range? LOL...

Oviedo
10-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Do you think it would be any different if WALLACE got the money he held out for???

Wallace has shown to me that he's not worth the money he is asking for.

Yes to this. As I said, Wallace is showing he is worth Antonio Brown money not Vincent Jackson money.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-30-2012, 10:07 AM
While this is labeled a "report" it is nothing more than a misinformed op-ed piece. The only source mentioned is a national guy, not a local guy. There is nothing to suggest that anyone brings any insight at all, only poor facts to wrap around his pre-conceived conclusion.

NorthCoast
10-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Roethlisberger threw to 9 different receivers last week. Seems this offense can work quite nicely even minus one Wallace.

Oviedo
10-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Roethlisberger threw to 9 different receivers last week. Seems this offense can work quite nicely even minus one Wallace.

Just love what Haley is doing!!!

I'm sure Omar Kahn and the other front ofice negotiators love it too.

steelz09
10-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Not necessarily a "report" but I agree with the overall statement that Wallace won't be back next year.

I'd rather take the 50 million and sign someone for our aging defense to be honest. Particularly a proven LB. ILB #1 on the list and OLB #2. I'd also sign Emmanuel Sanders and sign Cotchery again for depth reasons. That shouldn't take huge money by any means.

steelz09
10-30-2012, 01:12 PM
One other thing...

I hear Dwayne Bowe is being shopped for a 3rd round pick.

Would you trade Wallace for Bowe now rather than get NOTHING for him next year?

Would you trade our 3rd rounder in this year's draft for Bowe?

Ghost
10-30-2012, 01:17 PM

For the year, it's never been less than 8 differrnt guys in a game: 8 - 10 - 10 - 8 - 9 - 8 -9.

Jigawatts
10-30-2012, 01:25 PM
One other thing...

I hear Dwayne Bowe is being shopped for a 3rd round pick.

Would you trade our 3rd rounder in this year's draft for Bowe?

I'd much rather see another Ryan Clark or James Farrior like signing.

Oviedo
10-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Not necessarily a "report" but I agree with the overall statement that Wallace won't be back next year.

I'd rather take the 50 million and sign someone for our aging defense to be honest. Particularly a proven LB. ILB #1 on the list and OLB #2. I'd also sign Emmanuel Sanders and sign Cotchery again for depth reasons. That shouldn't take huge money by any means.

Don't forget that we are already like $30M over the cap for next year already. We will be in more of a cut mode than a sign mode. I think that is why they signed Brown to essentially have "a bird in the hand..."

We can tag Sanders and I do believe Cotchery signed a 2-year contract to come back.

hawaiiansteel
10-30-2012, 02:37 PM

we would get a compensatory pick for Mike Wallace, most likely a 4th rounder...

steelz09
10-30-2012, 04:21 PM
we would get a compensatory pick for Mike Wallace, most likely a 4th rounder...

I wouldn't hold my breath on that... we always seem to get screwed on comp picks.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-30-2012, 05:38 PM
why in the world would we "tag" sanders? Franchise tag?

ludicrous.

hawaiiansteel
10-30-2012, 06:05 PM
why in the world would we "tag" sanders? Franchise tag?

ludicrous.

no, we wouldn't need to franchise tag Sanders.

he's a RFA, so we would either get a 3rd round pick from another team that signed him if we decided not to match or we could apply a 2nd round tender if we were worried about another team signing him for a 3rd round pick.

hawaiiansteel
10-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 10.30.12

TUESDAY, 30 OCTOBER 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Nate: Ed, halfway through the season and it seems Wallace has positioned himself as Ben's favorite receiver the past 2-3 weeks (even with drops). In your opinion, what is the likelihood he is back next year with a signed contract (not franchised)?

Ed Bouchette: I'm on record believing that Wallace will sign elsewhere as a free agent.

Kordells Revenge: Hi Ed, great chat as always. I think I finally get why they didn't overpay for recievers in the past (ie let Burress and Washington walk, traded Holmes, etc), but what do you think happens with their current WR corp?

Ed Bouchette: Antonio Brown is signed. Emmanuel Sanders is restricted. Both will be here in 2013, but as I said I think Wallace will find a better deal elsewhere.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118688-ed-bouchettes-steelers-chat-transcript-103012

Steelhere10
10-30-2012, 09:06 PM
I have been a Big Wallace supporter, but at this rate I'm beginning to think he's not worth a whole lot more than Brown. But I would hate to lose him. 8million a year max.

birtikidis
10-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Don't forget to add in the special teams contribution. Sure Wallace has good numbers but, Brown is a little more valuable. Imagine if we weren't on pace to set the record for most special teams penalties (we may set it way before the end of the season)

NorthCoast
10-31-2012, 07:26 PM
If I had to make the choice, I let Wallace walk and put the money to finding a stud safety. The current trend with Troy injuries is concerning. Allen is just OK, and Clark is no spring chicken, and Mundy... don't even bring him into the conversation.

fezziwig
10-31-2012, 08:56 PM
I trust the front office to do the very best for the team with being very fair with Wallace. The Steelers front office always seems to field decent teams despite the finacial structure of contracts, situations and what have you.

hawaiiansteel
10-31-2012, 08:59 PM
I trust the front office to do the very best for the team with being very fair with Wallace. The Steelers front office always seems to field decent teams despite the finacial structure of contracts, situations and what have you.

Omar Khan is the best in the business and I think it was a wise decision by the Steelers to not cave into Wallace's contract demands.

fezziwig
10-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Omar Khan is the best in the business and I think it was a wise decision by the Steelers to not cave into Wallace's contract demands.

I agree. I like wallace, I want him to remain a Steeler but the front office knows what they are doing and they do it well. I can see Wallaces side too so I can't really find fault with either side.

Oviedo
11-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Is Mikey getting a little bit of an attitude? It seems to me like everyone is flourishing in Haley's offense.

Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace initially suggested he wasn't sure about whether he was a big part of the offense in Pittsburgh's Week 8 win over Washington. He backtracked on those comments Wednesday.
Tribune-Review columnist Joe Starkey mentioned after the Steelers' 27-12 win over Washington how quickly Mike Wallace was dressed and leaving the locker room after the game. Starkey tracked him down and asked him his thoughts on whether he was a big part of the Steelers' offensive game plan after being targeted on nine passes, catching seven, for 62 yards.

It was also discussed by BTSC friend Marc Uhlman of SteelersAddicts.
Transcribed from Starkey's post on Sulia Monday:
Wallace: "I don't know about that. I made a couple of catches and got us a couple of first downs. It's always good to get first downs."
Me: "You don't think you were a big part of the game plan?"
Wallace: "I don't know. I don't know. I had a couple of catches."
Wallace backed off that suggestion in an interview with 93.7.
"Right now...we're not getting the yards per catch we want, but we're still getting opportunities, so we just have to take some short ones, and make them big."

Fortunately, he didn't use the inflammatory phrase "dink and dunk" to describe the Steelers offense, that, through seven games, is averaging 7.4 yards per passing attempt, down from eight yards per attempt in 2011. It's probably smart of Wallace to back off those statements, possibly made in the heat of the moment immediately following the game. Wallace averaged seven targets a game in 2011, and is averaging 8.2 targets through seven games this season. He's averaging 12.8 yards per catch, which doesn't even rank him in the top 50 in the league, but it's simply a lack of deeper passes causing the decline. He's getting more chances, and he'll eventually break something.

It's not as if he's not contributing; a reduction in targets would be a bit more alarming through seven games. You can't fault a guy for wanting to make plays. His time will come; it's not as if defenses plan their scheme around preventing him from covering underneath routes, and his 36 catches are nothing to scoff either. The issue is the Steelers have three receivers - Wallace, Antonio Brown (40) and Heath Miller (35) - in the top 30 in receptions.
And if he was going to have a breakout game, this one would be a good option. Not only is it huge in terms of the overall direction of the team, but the Giants allow 293.4 passing yards per game - fifth-highest in the league.

They will struggle to cover the Steelers' trio of receivers, and maybe they'll even mix in a deep pass. If not, Wallace can be content with catching seven passes and maybe breaking a tackle for a big gain.

RuthlessBurgher
11-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Sorry Ruthless but this post makes absolutely no sense at all. Are you suggesting Wallace should sign his next contract in the $3.5 mill per year range? LOL...

I said nothing of the sort (not sure where you came up with that, frankly).

All that I'm saying is that Wallace seems to be held an invisible standard as if we were paying him $11 million this year (we are not, we are actually paying him $2.7 million) and Antonio Brown isn't scrutinized nearly as much for his performance (even though he actually just pocketed an $8.5 million signing bonus check from us). That's more than triple what Wallace is making this year, and nearly double what Wallace has made for his entire 4 year NFL career.

If Wallace and Brown have pretty much the same stats this year (only 4 catches and 21 yards separate them, except that Wallace has 4 TD catches, and Brown has 1 TD catch...which is actually should be a fumble recovery TD since he fumbled before he crossed the goal line and recovered his own fumble in the end zone), shouldn't Steeler fans expect more from the guy we are actually paying more for this season?

Mike Wallace made $1.7 million over 3 seasons on his 3rd round rookie deal, and now makes $2.7 million for this season, meaning that he has earned $4.4 million in 4 NFL seasons. For comparison, the craptastic Will Allen is currently playing for us on a $4.4 million, 3 year contract. Let's see...a guy who has 207 catches for 3665 yards and 28 TD's in 55 NFL games is making THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY IN FOUR YEARS that a backup safety and special teams player is making IN THREE YEARS. Yeah, that's tremendous. Any wonder why the dude feels that he deserves a decent payday finally?

As a rookie he made $560K and had 39 catches for 756 yards and 6 TD's. Talk about value!

In year 2, he made $560K and had 60 catches for 1257 yards and 10 TD's. What a steal!

In year 3, he made $560K and had 72 catches for 1193 yards and 8 TD's. Amazing deal!

In year 4, he made $2.7M and has 36 catches for 459 yards and 4 TD's in 7 games so far. Still a bargain!

The fact is that Wallace has been OBSCENELY UNDERPAID for FOUR STRAIGHT SEASONS.

Compare that to Antonio Brown. As a 6th round pick, he made less on his rookie contract compared to Wallace's rookie money as a 3rd rounder (Brown's 3 year rookie deal was for $1.288 million compared to Wallace's 3 year, $1.7 million rookie deal).

As a rookie he made $430K and had 16 catches for 167 yards and 0 TD's. Pretty much the production that you would expect for a rookie making $430K...nothing particularly special.

In year 2, he made $430K and had 69 catches for 1108 yards and 2 TD's (plus over 1000 yards on returns as well). His break-out season was a tremendous value for us on par with Wallace's bargain prices above.

In year 3, he pocketed an $8.5 million signing bonus check and has 40 catches for 480 yards and 1 TD in 7 games so far. He's not underperforming or outperforming his current deal...this is about what you would expect for a guy you just gave $8.5 million guaranteed.

While Wallace has performed WAY BETTER THAN HIS PAY GRADE WOULD INDICATE for ALL FOUR of his NFL seasons, Antonio Brown has only performed way better than his pay grade would indicate in 1 out of 3 of his NFL seasons. He low-level stats as a rookie were commensurate with his low-level rookie contract, and his current solid stats this season are commensurate with the solid NFL contract he just signed...he performed as expected in years 1 & 3 when compared to his pay at the time...he only outperformed his contract during year two, while Wallace has clearly outperformed his contract during all four of his NFL seasons.

Jigawatts
11-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Wallace held out, and in the court of public opinion that makes him a jerk. Doesn't matter what the numbers say, a guy making significantly less than Wallace is naturally going to dislike a guy whining about his multi million dollar contract.

RuthlessBurgher
11-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Is Mikey getting a little bit of an attitude? It seems to me like everyone is flourishing in Haley's offense.

Wallace is used to being a big play wideout, so Haley's offense requires a bit of an adjustment for him (just like it does for Ben who is used to being a gunslinger that airs it out). Even if a certain degree of change may be better off for everyone in the long run, any sort of fundamental change to what you are used to is bound to be met with a certain degree of natural frustration during the adjustment period (granted, the beginning of Wallace's adjustment period was delayed compared to the rest of his offensive teammates...by his own doing). But he is on pace for more catches than he has ever had in a season before, and he is on par for his typical TD production per season...it's just that the yardage is down because the vast majority of the balls thrown in the Haley offense are currently in the short-to-intermediate range (for now...at least until we get our run game going to the point that it results in the opportunity for effective play-action long passes that Ben & Wallace were born for). I'm sure it hurts, though, that he is (reportedly) looking for Vincent Jackson money, and the Bucs are now airing it out like the Steelers used to (VJax has a career high 21.6 yards per catch average this season). He's a big play money receiver, who is currently showing that he is more than just a one-trick deep pony, but he still longs for the excitement that a long bomb TD catch provides, I'm sure.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-01-2012, 07:43 PM
great analysis ruthless, but it will fall on deaf ears for the wallace detractors.

their animosity for wallace is blind.

shame on them for not realizing what a tremendous bargain we have enjoyed in mike wallace and then expecting him to continue playing for below his market value to satisfy their ego and so they can puff their chests out and say "boy, we sure showed him!"

one is even enjoying seeing him being sent across the middle, possibly in hope of wallace being injured. I find it totally pathetic the way some fans have treated mike wallace here.

fezziwig
11-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Wallace held out, and in the court of public opinion that makes him a jerk. Doesn't matter what the numbers say, a guy making significantly less than Wallace is naturally going to dislike a guy whining about his multi million dollar contract.

It is tough for the average Joe to be fighting to make a living while a player, ( and just not Wallace ) is making millions and it's not enough for said player.

Sugar
11-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks for running the numbers Ruthless. That's a solid argument IMO. For all the hulaballo, Wallace hasn't been a public nuisance or anything. He's just done his thing on the field with minimal talking in the press. I'm not sure what more could realistically be asked of the guy.

Sugar
11-01-2012, 07:49 PM
It is tough for the average Joe to be fighting to make a living while a player, ( and just not Wallace ) is making millions and it's not enough for said player.

IMO, "average Joe" needs to suck it up and quit being so covetous.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-01-2012, 07:57 PM
when average joe can do what mike wallace can do, then I might care what he thinks.

might.

Oviedo
11-01-2012, 08:03 PM
I said nothing of the sort (not sure where you came up with that, frankly).

All that I'm saying is that Wallace seems to be held an invisible standard as if we were paying him $11 million this year (we are not, we are actually paying him $2.7 million) and Antonio Brown isn't scrutinized nearly as much for his performance (even though he actually just pocketed an $8.5 million signing bonus check from us). That's more than triple what Wallace is making this year, and nearly double what Wallace has made for his entire 4 year NFL career.

If Wallace and Brown have pretty much the same stats this year (only 4 catches and 21 yards separate them, except that Wallace has 4 TD catches, and Brown has 1 TD catch...which is actually should be a fumble recovery TD since he fumbled before he crossed the goal line and recovered his own fumble in the end zone), shouldn't Steeler fans expect more from the guy we are actually paying more for this season?

Mike Wallace made $1.7 million over 3 seasons on his 3rd round rookie deal, and now makes $2.7 million for this season, meaning that he has earned $4.4 million in 4 NFL seasons. For comparison, the craptastic Will Allen is currently playing for us on a $4.4 million, 3 year contract. Let's see...a guy who has 207 catches for 3665 yards and 28 TD's in 55 NFL games is making THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY IN FOUR YEARS that a backup safety and special teams player is making IN THREE YEARS. Yeah, that's tremendous. Any wonder why the dude feels that he deserves a decent payday finally?

As a rookie he made $560K and had 39 catches for 756 yards and 6 TD's. Talk about value!

In year 2, he made $560K and had 60 catches for 1257 yards and 10 TD's. What a steal!

In year 3, he made $560K and had 72 catches for 1193 yards and 8 TD's. Amazing deal!

In year 4, he made $2.7M and has 36 catches for 459 yards and 4 TD's in 7 games so far. Still a bargain!

The fact is that Wallace has been OBSCENELY UNDERPAID for FOUR STRAIGHT SEASONS.

Compare that to Antonio Brown. As a 6th round pick, he made less on his rookie contract compared to Wallace's rookie money as a 3rd rounder (Brown's 3 year rookie deal was for $1.288 million compared to Wallace's 3 year, $1.7 million rookie deal).

As a rookie he made $430K and had 16 catches for 167 yards and 0 TD's. Pretty much the production that you would expect for a rookie making $430K...nothing particularly special.

In year 2, he made $430K and had 69 catches for 1108 yards and 2 TD's (plus over 1000 yards on returns as well). His break-out season was a tremendous value for us on par with Wallace's bargain prices above.

In year 3, he pocketed an $8.5 million signing bonus check and has 40 catches for 480 yards and 1 TD in 7 games so far. He's not underperforming or outperforming his current deal...this is about what you would expect for a guy you just gave $8.5 million guaranteed.

While Wallace has performed WAY BETTER THAN HIS PAY GRADE WOULD INDICATE for ALL FOUR of his NFL seasons, Antonio Brown has only performed way better than his pay grade would indicate in 1 out of 3 of his NFL seasons. He low-level stats as a rookie were commensurate with his low-level rookie contract, and his current solid stats this season are commensurate with the solid NFL contract he just signed...he performed as expected in years 1 & 3 when compared to his pay at the time...he only outperformed his contract during year two, while Wallace has clearly outperformed his contract during all four of his NFL seasons.

And couldn't Wallace be playing for $8.5 to $9M right now and have millions in a bonus in the bank? Wasn't that HIS choice not to accept that money. I agree he is underpaid, but didn't Mike Wallace put Mike Wallace in that position.

Jigawatts
11-01-2012, 08:09 PM
when average joe can do what mike wallace can do, then I might care what he thinks.

might.

Mike Wallace can run fast and catch a football... sometimes.

Just sayin'

eniparadoxgma
11-01-2012, 08:24 PM
And couldn't Wallace be playing for $8.5 to $9M right now and have millions in a bonus in the bank? Wasn't that HIS choice not to accept that money. I agree he is underpaid, but didn't Mike Wallace put Mike Wallace in that position.

I agree with the above.

My problem with him this year is what seems to me to be him playing scared. Unless you're a QB or in some strange circumstances you fight for yardage. The way Dwyer runs has this to it. The way Heath runs after the catch is like this. The way Hines used to run after the catch is the same. And so on. When I see him catching the ball and then hitting the ground before he's even touched when he could at least try to make a move or fight for yardage is unacceptable to me.

That said, if he starts playing hungry again and keeps the drops to a minimum I'd love to have him back. For top-WR money? No. For a little more than what we paid Brown, sure.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Mike Wallace can run fast and catch a football... sometimes.

Just sayin'

did you even read the ruthless post? You cannot argue his numbers, but yet some people (sounds like you)
seem to think mike wallaces grow on trees.

all you did was prove my point that most wallace detractors refuse to admit that he has severely outperformed his money, and has also been very restrained in his comments about his contract situation. Believe me, there have been a hell of a lot worse. Look back to another steeler WR just a few years ago.

just sayin'.

RuthlessBurgher
11-01-2012, 08:44 PM
I agree with the above.

My problem with him this year is what seems to me to be him playing scared. Unless you're a QB or in some strange circumstances you fight for yardage. The way Dwyer runs has this to it. The way Heath runs after the catch is like this. The way Hines used to run after the catch is the same. And so on. When I see him catching the ball and then hitting the ground before he's even touched when he could at least try to make a move or fight for yardage is unacceptable to me.

That said, if he starts playing hungry again and keeps the drops to a minimum I'd love to have him back. For top-WR money? No. For a little more than what we paid Brown, sure.

Yeah, but he's never really done this, though. If he was an animal after the catch for the first 3 seasons, but then suddenly kept going down on his own prior to contact in year 4, then you might have something in regards to self-preservation motives. He was a never an after-the-catch beast as a runner though (unless you hit him on a quick-strike slant where he could just run past people after the catch, of course).

Jigawatts
11-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Mr. Spaghetti, I read the Ruthless post and I agree that Mike Wallace was grossly underpaid for what he has done under his contract. And though I say Mike Wallace is fast and can catch a football, I understand he is one of the best in the world at what he does. But did you read Ovi's post?

All I'm saying is that it's human nature to for people to feel the way they feel about Mike Wallace. He makes big money, had the chance to make bigger money, but that wasn't good enough for him. People don't expect more out of A. Brown because he never had a chance to hold out.

eniparadoxgma
11-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Yeah, but he's never really done this, though. If he was an animal after the catch for the first 3 seasons, but then suddenly kept going down on his own prior to contact in year 4, then you might have something in regards to self-preservation motives. He was a never an after-the-catch beast as a runner though (unless you hit him on a quick-strike slant where he could just run past people after the catch, of course).

It's less about him being a beast after the catch then it is about effort to me. Regardless of whether or not he even gets more yardage I want to see a guy making the effort. That extra yard or two that he could get by continuing forward instead of hitting the dirt could very well make a difference in the game. I know he's never been Hines-like in this regard but I would argue we haven't had enough of a body of work to find out. Before this year he was used almost exclusively as a deep threat. Either way, (if it's something that just started happening or new this year), I don't like it.

Sugar
11-01-2012, 09:36 PM
The only difference I see in Wallace's play is what has basically been forced upon him by the new offence. Other than that, he's doing his thing.

RuthlessBurgher
11-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Mr. Spaghetti, I read the Ruthless post and I agree that Mike Wallace was grossly underpaid for what he has done under his contract. And though I say Mike Wallace is fast and can catch a football, I understand he is one of the best in the world at what he does. But did you read Ovi's post?

All I'm saying is that it's human nature to for people to feel the way they feel about Mike Wallace. He makes big money, had the chance to make bigger money, but that wasn't good enough for him. People don't expect more out of A. Brown because he never had a chance to hold out.

When I write an actual thoughtful Steeler post instead of some goofy joke or pop culture reference, it confuses Jigawatts.

When Jigawatts writes an actual thoughtful Steeler post instead of some goofy joke or pop culture reference, it confuses me.

:p

Eddie Spaghetti
11-01-2012, 10:11 PM
People don't expect more out of A. Brown because he never had a chance to hold out.

what does this even mean? It literally makes zero sense to me.

and when you follow up all mike wallace does is run fast and sometimes catches a football with, he is one of the best in the world at what he does, it strains your credibility.

Jigawatts
11-01-2012, 10:11 PM
When I write an actual thoughtful Steeler post instead of some goofy joke or pop culture reference, it confuses Jigawatts.

When Jigawatts writes an actual thoughtful Steeler post instead of some goofy joke or pop culture reference, it confuses me.

:p

The standard is the standard. ;)

Oviedo
11-02-2012, 07:54 AM
It all gets down to does Mike Wallace deserve more than $2.7M? Answer is Yes.

Did Mike Wallace have a chance to get significantly more than the $2.7M he is playing for? Answer is Yes.

Who prevented Mike Wallace from getting much, much more? Answer is Mike Wallace.

All this talk about what a bargain Wallace is is moot because Mike Wallace chose to be a bargain. He is not being exploited, he is playing for the what he decided to play for. He knew that behind Door #1 there was a contract reported to average $9M per year for multiple years and behind Door #2 there was a contract for $2.7M for one year. Mike Wallace himself chose Door #2. No coercion, no threats, his choice.

Some want to feel sorry for him like he doing us all a favor by playing as well as he does, but life is full of choices and Wallace made the wrong one.

flippy
11-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Antonio Brown is committed to the Steelers long term. So fans are likewise invested in him.

Wally isn't. And fans aren't.

That seems pretty straightforward. It's great we've gotten a bargain out of Wally. It's unfortunate his priorities aren't aligned with the Steelers for the long term.

hawaiiansteel
11-02-2012, 02:07 PM
On the Steelers: Wallace adjusts nicely, happily in new offense

November 2, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a86049dd672fafb96394debed.r5.cf2.rackcdn.co m/2012/306/529/mike-wallace_420.jpg

Steelers receiver Mike Wallace pulls in a pass against Redskins' Josh Wilson in the fourth quarter last Sunday at Heinz Field.

The Steelers' new dink-and-dunk offense has shrunk Mike Wallace's receiving statistics, but he has kept a positive outlook about it.

He entered the season as one of the celebrated deep threats in the NFL with a career average of 18.7 yards per catch. After averaging 7.6 yards on 15 receptions the past two games, his season average has dipped to 12.8.

His attitude, however, has not descended with it.

"I'm trying not to, you have to stay positive," Wallace said Thursday. "We're winning right now; you don't want to try to fight it or go against it if it's being productive. I'm just trying to adjust what we're doing in this offense."

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has called Todd Haley's offense the "dink and dunk," which is different from the wide open, go-deep thinking under former coordinator Bruce Arians. Haley has emphasized high-percentage passes and getting them away more quickly.

Roethlisberger compared it to the West Coast offense.

"When I grew up, the [San Francisco] 49ers, that's what they did," Roethlisberger said. "That's what a West Coast offense is. Not saying we're a West Coast offense but "dink and dunk' is not a negative term. We're taking advantage of quick, fast receivers, a lot of different receivers, running backs, tight ends, guys getting open.

Especially when defenses take away the big play down the field, that's what's open."

Wallace has been open enough to catch 36 passes for 459 yards and four touchdowns and is on pace to catch more than his career high of 72 last season. He's just not catching them deep much. He had an 82-yard touchdown reception at Tennessee, which accounts for nearly 18 percent of his yardage this season.

Wallace said he's run eight "go" routes all season, but three of those were as decoys or clear-outs.

How many did he run last season?

"Almost five a game!" Wallace said. "I used to go deep a lot last year, until eventually I was just clearing it out for AB and Hines. Now, I haven't really gone much deep. Hopefully, we will."

Antonio Brown leads them with 40 receptions and 480 yards with a 12.0 average. Hines Ward was forced into retirement after the 2011 season. Heath Miller is third with 35 catches for 336 yards and leads the team with six touchdowns. Emmanuel Sanders is next with 22 for 282.

Whereas Arians would use four and five receivers, Haley does not deploy as many as four wide receivers much.

"You have to go with the offense that you're in," Wallace said. "Just do what you're used to doing and you have to be able to adapt, and that's what we're trying to do right now. I get the ball, so that's still cool."

Wallace, a restricted free agent, declined to sign his one-year, $2.7 million tender until the end of the preseason, which allowed him to stay away from spring training and the preseason.

He said he has not thought much about what effect this season might have on his future In one sense, the lower numbers per catch might cause some suitors to shy away; in another, they show he's willing and can play in different styles of offenses.

"It might affect it, it might not," Wallace said. "It might affect it in a good way, it might affect it in a bad way. You never know. Right now, I'm not worried about it. I'm just trying to stay positive.

"It could be a positive thing for me, it just depends on how you look at it, and I'm always looking at it in a positive way, especially when we're winning. As long as we're winning, everybody will be happy."

Wallace also has not given up on the idea that the big play will return in a big way.

"Yeah, I think they'll come. I don't think we're just going to go short the whole year. I think we'll eventually open it up and, whenever we do, we'll be ready for it.

If you look at practice, it's not like we never do it, we're still [throwing deep]. It's just a matter of getting an opportunity in games. Hopefully, we get back to it."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-wallace-adjusts-nicely-happily-in-new-offense-660234/#ixzz2B58ezvDJ

hawaiiansteel
11-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Cook: Wallace's catch grabs attention

November 14, 2012
By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Lost in the sobering injuries to Ben Roethlisberger and Ryan Clark, the timely interception by Lawrence Timmons in overtime and the Steelers' less-than-satisfying 16-13 win Monday night against the Kansas City Chiefs was their play of the year.

"You can't practice it," said one of the co-authors, Mike Wallace. "You can't script it."

It went down as a simple 7-yard touchdown pass from Roethlisberger to Wallace late in the second quarter, but there was so much more to it. The play went a long way toward saving the game and perhaps the season for the Steelers. Roethlisberger and Wallace are getting pretty good at that sort of thing, or at least they were before Roethlisberger left early in the third quarter with a potentially serious sprained right shoulder. A week earlier in a win against the New York Football Giants, the two combined on a 51-yard touchdown pass early in the fourth quarter to turn the game the Steelers' way.

That score against the Giants was all Wallace. He caught the ball on a short crossing pattern and used his incredible speed to outrun everyone across the field and up the left sideline. The touchdown against the Chiefs was a wondrous collaboration between Roethlisberger and Wallace. It took brilliance on both ends to make it work.

Roethlisberger froze Chiefs cornerback Brandon Flowers for just an instant with a pump fake, then threw a perfect lob pass to Wallace, who ran a fade pattern to the right corner of the end zone. Wallace -- fighting the lights, the wind, the rain and generally nasty conditions, not to mention Flowers' coverage -- dived and scooped the ball into his lap with his right hand. It settled between his thighs as he hit the ground.

"I knew it was a touchdown," Wallace said even after it took an officials review to confirm it. "When you play football every day for as long as I have, you know when the ball hits the ground. That ball didn't hit the ground."

The play pulled the Steelers into a 10-10 tie against the Chiefs, who came in to Heinz Field as 12 1/2-point underdogs with a 1-7 record. It was the sixth time this season that Roethlisberger and Wallace hooked up for a touchdown. They nearly hit on a 44-yard touchdown a few plays earlier, the ball grazing off an open Wallace's fingertips inside the Chiefs 5.

"Me being the caliber of receiver I am, I probably should have caught that one," Wallace said. "It would have been a nice catch. But if I'm the elite receiver I think I am, I need to catch that ball."

It will be a crying shame if Roethlisberger and Wallace don't get a chance to add to their touchdown total anytime soon.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin didn't rule Roethlisberger out for Sunday night's home game against the Baltimore Ravens, but you probably shouldn't hold your breath that Roethlisberger will play. Tomlin was more peevish and his answers more clipped and condescending than usual at his weekly news conference. It can't be easy looking at the games ahead without potentially having your franchise quarterback. The guess here is Tomlin will be thrilled if he has Roethlisberger back for the second Ravens game Dec. 2 in Baltimore.

That leaves Byron Leftwich as the next man up at quarterback.

Leftwich said there won't be any changes in the offense and Tomlin said he isn't sure any are needed. If anything, the Steelers might take a few more deep shots to Wallace. Leftwich has a big arm.

"He might throw the fastest ball in the league," Wallace said. "Did you see him overthrow me? I can't remember the last time that happened. I was disappointed in my legs after that play. I've got to talk to 'em when I go home. 'Legs, you've got to pick it up.' "

It was nice to hear Wallace giggle. If he's troubled by his tenuous contract situation, he isn't showing it. He held out during training camp in an attempt to get a long-term deal. When that failed, he reported late in the exhibition season and signed the Steelers' tender to play this season for $2,742,000.

"It's not as tough as you might think," Wallace said. "I love my teammates. I love playing with these guys.

They've rallied around me. They make it a lot easier for me."

Roethlisberger wasn't the only player who had to adjust to new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's quick-pass offense. Wallace had to do it, as well. He's just as much of a possession receiver now as he is a home-run hitter.

"Coach Haley likes to call short passes and set up for a deep one every once in a while," Wallace said. "I'm not going to fight it. I'm going with it."

The touchdowns help.

Remember when Tomlin called Wallace "a one-trick pony" early in his career, his way to motivate Wallace to become more than just a speed threat? Well, it worked. It took a special player to make that touchdown catch Monday night. A special receiver.

That was no one-trick pony.

"Please tell [Tomlin]. Please let him know," Wallace said, grinning.

That's so unnecessary.

Wallace knows that Tomlin knows that Wallace has become a big-time, all-around receiver.

Now if Leftwich can just keep getting him the ball ...

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-wallaces-catch-grabs-attention-661972/#ixzz2CJwZHJ4Z

Sugar
11-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Wallace has been a real difference-maker for the team these last couple of weeks. Sure, he's fast, but he brings a whole lot more than that to the game.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Wallace has been a real difference-maker for the team these last couple of weeks. Sure, he's fast, but he brings a whole lot more than that to the game.

You can't say that about Wallace. He is strictly a one-trick pony and nobody is allowed to say otherwise. :D :stirpot

hawaiiansteel
11-15-2012, 05:29 PM
You can't say that about Wallace. He is strictly a one-trick pony and nobody is allowed to say otherwise. :D :stirpot

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Ry7KE2SuTxg/UC6L1TcCquI/AAAAAAAAI88/sNmHseDOU0k/s1600/OneTrickPonyGreetings.jpg

Sugar
11-15-2012, 05:32 PM

Here is where I need help. I'm not sure which trick is the one we should notice. Is it the blazing speed or is it the fantastic hands?

Mister Pittsburgh
11-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Here is where I need help. I'm not sure which trick is the one we should notice. Is it the blazing speed or is it the fantastic hands?

Fantastic hands?

Sugar
11-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Fantastic hands?

Did you see that catch?

RuthlessBurgher
11-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Did you see that catch?

Okay...fantastic knees then. ;)

http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/MIKE-WALLACE-CATCH.gif

Mister Pittsburgh
11-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Did you see that catch?
He missed it with his hands and caught it with his thighs.

Let's put it this way...this season I have seen him drop more big passes then make big catches.

steelblood
11-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Wallace sometimes makes a fantastic or circus catch, but his hands are inconsistent. He has shown me this year better adjustments to the deep ball and better high pointing (though still not great). Wallace could draw a lot more interference penalties if he got better at high-pointing.

Oviedo
11-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Wallace sometimes makes a fantastic or circus catch, but his hands are inconsistent. He has shown me this year better adjustments to the deep ball and better high pointing (though still not great). Wallace could draw a lot more interference penalties if he got better at high-pointing.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. IMO that is part of the Steelers decison process. Do you pay elite dollars to a WR who excels at 25% of the WR skills and is good at the other 75%.

D Rock
11-16-2012, 12:51 PM
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. IMO that is part of the Steelers decison process. Do you pay elite dollars to a WR who excels at 25% of the WR skills and is good at the other 75%.

touchdowns. Someone needs to score them...Wallace is able to do that with more regularity than any receiver I've ever seen play for the Steelers. Hate all you want, but scoring matters last time I checked.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-16-2012, 01:08 PM
touchdowns. Someone needs to score them...Wallace is able to do that with more regularity than any receiver I've ever seen play for the Steelers. Hate all you want, but scoring matters last time I checked.

There was this one guy names Ward that had a few.....wasn't super fast....just had good hands....

Oviedo
11-16-2012, 01:20 PM

Don't attribute hate to someone who just doesn't see the Steelers paying Wallace $10M per year. That's not hate that is rational thought when we have no cap space. I really hope they sign him, but just don't see how the numbers can possibly work if his demands are in the $10M per range.

papillon
11-16-2012, 01:23 PM
There was this one guy names Ward that had a few.....wasn't super fast....just had good hands....

The thing is though, Wallace actually gets in the end zone. Who does that if he isn't here? Brown appears that he could be that guy, but he hasn't shown the ability to actually score, same with Sanders and Cotchery. I wouldn't expect a draft pick to begin scoring touchdowns right away unless we draft him at 1.32 :p

I'd rather the Steelers find a way to keep Wallace who has actually been in the end zone quite a bit. If they can't, they can't and the Steelers move forward. As a fan, I'd rather they find a way if possible.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
11-16-2012, 05:09 PM
The thing is though, Wallace actually gets in the end zone. Who does that if he isn't here? Brown appears that he could be that guy, but he hasn't shown the ability to actually score, same with Sanders and Cotchery. I wouldn't expect a draft pick to begin scoring touchdowns right away unless we draft him at 1.32 :p

I'd rather the Steelers find a way to keep Wallace who has actually been in the end zone quite a bit. If they can't, they can't and the Steelers move forward. As a fan, I'd rather they find a way if possible.

Pappy

Yup.

Mike Wallace: 6 TD catches this season and 30 in his career.
Antonio Brown: 1 TD catch this season and 3 in his career.
Emmanuel Sanders: 1 TD catch this season and 5 in his career.

Heath Miller can't catch all the TD's, and Wallace seems to be the only WR we have with a nose for the end zone.

D Rock
11-16-2012, 06:52 PM

Averaged just over 6 TDs/season. That is what Wallace has gotten in his worst season.

And Hines is my all-time favorite Steeler, but the facts are the facts.

RuthlessBurgher
11-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Averaged just over 6 TDs/season. That is what Wallace has gotten in his worst season.

And Hines is my all-time favorite Steeler, but the facts are the facts.

In terms of TD catches, Wallace's worst season is TRIPLE what Brown or Sanders had in their best seasons.