PDA

View Full Version : Had a great time for my first Steeler Game at Heinz Field

toddjammin
10-28-2012, 08:44 PM
What a great stadium. My girlfriend and I had a blast and it was her first time as well. Great game by Steeler nation today. I wanna hear anyones first experience at Heinz Field!!!

DBR96A
10-28-2012, 10:05 PM
I went to the Steelers/Browns game at Heinz Field in 2007. I was living in Valdosta, GA at the time attending college, and I gave an old friend of mine in Pittsburgh a call one day because I hadn't heard from him in a while. He told me that he had two tickets to that game and asked me if I wanted to go, so after a few last-minute arrangements, I hit the road for Pittsburgh around noon on Friday after all my classes were done for the day, and I ended up in Pittsburgh just before sunrise on Saturday.

After hanging out with my friend all weekend, we went to the game on Sunday, and the Steelers fell behind 21-6 in the second quarter. The stadium was rocking, and even the Browns fan and his son in the row behind me were treated OK. In the third quarter, we got a bucket of chicken wings from Quaker Steak & Lube, and they were the best wings I'd ever had. (Whatever wasn't eaten I got to save for the road.) We missed Roethlisberger's 30-yard TD run as we walked out of the Great Hall and up into the rotunda, but we heard the crescendo of cheers the whole time. We did see Joshua Cribbs take the kickoff 100 yards to the house, though. Thankfully, once we got back to our seats, we saw Roethlisberger lead the game-winning TD drive, and the Browns' final FG attempt fall short. Game over, Steelers won.

Since I had to be back in Valdosta by 9AM on Monday, I had to leave Pittsburgh immediately after the game. I did an overnight drive, taking three short naps on the way back down so I didn't fall asleep at the wheel. I'd never seen I-85 in North Carolina and South Carolina as deserted as it was. Through most of South Carolina, I was literally the only car on the highway. By the time I got to I-75, the sky was beginning to brighten, and I arrived back in Valdosta with five minutes left to spare, parked illegally and got to class on time, still wearing my Steelers jersey and decorations.

It was a whirlwind of a weekend, but it was full of great memories that I'll remember forever.

hawaiiansteel
10-29-2012, 01:42 AM
good for you, I'm really happy for and your gf that you were able to have such a wonderful first experience watching the Steelers not only play well but also win! :Cheers

SidSmythe
10-29-2012, 09:02 AM
First game here was in the 1994 AFC Division Playoff vs. the CLOWNS (who weren't Clowns that year).
Steelers spanked them. Use to go down every year back in the day...especially to Playoff games.
Pittsburgh is about 6 hrs. from me (up in Western NY)

Oh yeah...Todd, is ur GF hot??? Shawn wants to know.

Chester33
12-20-2012, 03:02 AM
We ABSOLUTELY LOVE Pittsburgh!! We went to the game on Oct. 28th against Washington. I was like a kid in a candy store I never stopped smiling!! We stayed Downtown at the Doubletree and took the Free subway right to the stadium. After the game there is quite the line for the subway but it went fast and people were very friendly in line!! Can't wait til next time!!

flippy
12-20-2012, 06:53 AM
A first game at Heinz Field is a rite of passage. It's almost a religious experience that all fans should enjoy.

My first time was a preseason game. And I'd recommend preseason for any long time Steelers fans because you can truly enjoy the stadium without the distraction of a game. then go back for a game and enjoy the game at a later date.

i can't remember the year, but it was a preseason game against Miami and there was a thunderstorm that delayed the game which started at 8 pm. they had everyone come inside because of the lightning, but i snuck out into the stands by myself. coolest experience of my life. i was all alone and had the stadium to myself. i was king of the world for that moment. and the color of the sky was unreal. It was like I was in a cartoon or a Quentin Tarantino flick. it was an almost spiritual moment for me. and i thought to myself, if i die and go to heaven, this will be it. heinz field will be my home.

SidSmythe
12-20-2012, 10:45 AM
A first game at Heinz Field is a rite of passage. It's almost a religious experience that all fans should enjoy.

My first time was a preseason game. And I'd recommend preseason for any long time Steelers fans because you can truly enjoy the stadium without the distraction of a game. then go back for a game and enjoy the game at a later date.

i can't remember the year, but it was a preseason game against Miami and there was a thunderstorm that delayed the game which started at 8 pm. they had everyone come inside because of the lightning, but i snuck out into the stands by myself. coolest experience of my life. i was all alone and had the stadium to myself. i was king of the world for that moment. and the color of the sky was unreal. It was like I was in a cartoon or a Quentin Tarantino flick. it was an almost spiritual moment for me. and i thought to myself, if i die and go to heaven, this will be it. heinz field will be my home.

My first game at 3 Rivers was the Steelers vs Browns AFC Divisional Game in 1995 (1994 season). Boy was I spoiled
My first game at Heinz was Steelers vs. Ravens AFC Divsional Game two years ago. Was my kids first ever game. I think i set the bar too high for him right off the start.

flippy
12-20-2012, 11:13 AM
My first game at 3 Rivers was the Steelers vs Browns AFC Divisional Game in 1995 (1994 season). Boy was I spoiled
My first game at Heinz was Steelers vs. Ravens AFC Divsional Game two years ago. Was my kids first ever game. I think i set the bar too high for him right off the start.

The only thing better would be a SuperBowl in Pittsburgh. Never gonna happen though.

I never got to go to Steelers games at TRS. Couldn't afford it. Won tickets one time in the 80s and saw a regular season game vs the Broncos. In my head, TRS was a place for baseball. I saw Barry Bonds hit an inside the park homer back in the pre roids days when he was skinny as a rail. I also remember as a kid wanting to go when the Pirates played the Expos.

I was fascinated by the Expos for some reason. I thought they were European or something. I never quite grasped there's a French province in Canada. I also like their logo with the ELB and I never realized until I was older that there was no L in their logo. It was just a fancy M with an E and B in it and it stood for Expos de Montréal Baseball. It was an E M B.

As an adult, Montreal is one of my favorite cities outside of Pittsburgh.

SidSmythe
12-20-2012, 11:17 AM
The only thing better would be a SuperBowl in Pittsburgh. Never gonna happen though.

I never got to go to Steelers games at TRS. Couldn't afford it. Won tickets one time in the 80s and saw a regular season game vs the Broncos. In my head, TRS was a place for baseball. I saw Barry Bonds hit an inside the park homer back in the pre roids days when he was skinny as a rail. I also remember as a kid wanting to go when the Pirates played the Expos.

I was fascinated by the Expos for some reason. I thought they were European or something. I never quite grasped there's a French province in Canada. I also like their logo with the ELB and I never realized until I was older that there was no L in their logo. It was just a fancy M with an E and B in it and it stood for Expos de Montréal Baseball. It was an E M B.

As an adult, Montreal is one of my favorite cities outside of Pittsburgh.

Superbowls are overrated...now AFC Championships games are awesome. Went to the COLTS AFC CHamp game before Superbowl XXX and then when we lost to DENVER in 1998.

I've heard good things about Montreal from a friend

Slapstick
12-20-2012, 01:08 PM
My first game at 3R was an October 1990 game vs. the Chargers...the Steelers won handily and I remember seeing Dwayne Woodruff get a long INT return (no TD, though)...

My next game was the regular season Browns game in 1994...it was an excellent snowy day in December...Barry Foster pounded them for 100+ yards and Yancey burned them on a long pass play...

My first game at Heinz was the epic Drew Brees/Tommy Maddox tilt against the Chargers in 2003...okay, it wasn't epic...neither team was very good that year...but, I do recall DeShea Townsend returning a pick 6 after FINALLY having a chance at the starting job...

I've been to a few games at Heinz...the 2005 Halloween Monday night game vs. Baltimore, for example...

It's always a great time...

BTW, Montreal is fantastic as well...

raycafan
12-20-2012, 04:20 PM
My first game was in 1978 I believe it was a night game, against the Rams in the Coliseum. I was 11 and I played for a youth team of the Steelers. I wore my #75 jersey and we were sitting in the end zone of the Steeler warm ups. My dad took my 1 sister and me. I yelled down to Joe Greene and pointed to my jersey he looked up and gave a thumbs up. Kinda cool to an 11 year old. The next season my uncle from Pittsburgh got a hold of about 12 tickets to the Super Bowl against the Rams. I have a few relatives that have season tickets to Heinz, in fact my uncles grandson now has the rights to the tickets first bought in 1934 I believe. I went to many games in the 80s and 90s against the Rams since I am in so cal. In 2009 I went to Heinz with a friend from here using some season tickets of some 2nd cousins. Went hoping for a cold day and what I got was a 60+ day in November. They were playing the Bengals, we lost in a offensive offense day. But my friend and I had a good time tailgating and checking out the stadium. Last year I took some money from my parents trust and bought tickets for the Cardinal game in Arizona. I bought 9 tickets so my sisters and their families could go. We paid big money for some good seats, we had a great time. Figured it was a once in lifetime opportunity for the 3 of us. I look forward to the day I can afford to take my family to Heinz to see a game.

BigRob
12-20-2012, 04:42 PM
it was her first time as well

No better way to pop a Steelers cherry than together for the first time. :Boobs

RuthlessBurgher
12-20-2012, 05:14 PM
I took my wife to Montreal for our anniversary during their annual Jazz festival a few years back. Not a huge jazz guy (don't necessarily love it or hate it...it can be cool in small doses if done right...gotta love the dude pecking away at the huge bass), but we had a great time there. I've never been to Europe, but Montreal's gotta be the closest thing to that type of experience in North America (that and New Orleans, I suppose...maybe our Steelers will go on an epic run to the Super Bowl this year and I'll get to experience N'Awlins as well).

flippy
12-20-2012, 07:46 PM
I took my wife to Montreal for our anniversary during their annual Jazz festival a few years back. Not a huge jazz guy (don't necessarily love it or hate it...it can be cool in small doses if done right...gotta love the dude pecking away at the huge bass), but we had a great time there. I've never been to Europe, but Montreal's gotta be the closest thing to that type of experience in North America (that and New Orleans, I suppose...maybe our Steelers will go on an epic run to the Super Bowl this year and I'll get to experience N'Awlins as well).

You'll have to take your wife for some Jazz in NO. I'm no big Jazz fan either, but I've got a buddy that's into every kind of non mainstream music on the planet. And he took me to some really cool places in NO. We saw some Jazz that he was insisting was some of the best performers in the world. Got a little Zydeco/Cajun music going on. A couple of the clubs we went to were the size of a walk in closet. It was a neat music scene. There were 2 places that were just a room and you were literally cramped in a room right next to the guys playing the music.

Some of the best food in the world too. NO is another one of my favorite cities with all the culture. Just don't go in the middle of summer. The one odd thing about NO is if you fly into the airport, you will have to drive by some of the poorest places in America to get to the city. I saw it pre Katrina and have heard it's gotten worse since. I just remember driving through areas thinking I was in a 3rd world country.

DukieBoy
12-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Honeymooned in Montreal many years ago. It is a great place to visit. We've always wanted to go back. Maybe one day ... maybe an anniversary.

SidSmythe
12-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Montreal is the new Boardwalk on Monopoly on Pogo.com
Must be the greatest city in the world!

pfelix73
12-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Hey Flippy, my fav. baseball team was the Expos too. Met Gary Carter once and have tons of his autographs. Ashame he passed away at such a young age. Well, now that I dated myself, my first 3Rivers game was against the Bills in one of those playoff games back in the early 90's. I'm very lucky in that I've been to at least one game in Pitt. every year since.

My 1st Heinz Field game was supposed to be Opening Day against the Browns. However, 9/11 happened and the game was post poned until the end of the year. Still have the ticket stub.

My tradition continues.... I'll be out there on Sunday......Here We Go Stillers! Oh yea, weather Gods, bring on the snow if you want, we're going via a brand new Jeep.... So dump all ya like...lol

RuthlessBurgher
12-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Montreal is the new Boardwalk on Monopoly on Pogo.com
Must be the greatest city in the world!

With all of the Hurricane Sandy devastation to the Jersey shore, you can't take Monopoly away from them and give it to the Canucks!

And, flip, your description of the drive from the airport to New Orleans sounds like the drive from the airport to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic.

RuthlessBurgher
12-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Hey Flippy, my fav. baseball team was the Expos too. Met Gary Carter once and have tons of his autographs. Ashame he passed away at such a young age. Well, now that I dated myself, my first 3Rivers game was against the Bills in one of those playoff games back in the early 90's. I'm very lucky in that I've been to at least one game in Pitt. every year since.

My 1st Heinz Field game was supposed to be Opening Day against the Browns. However, 9/11 happened and the game was post poned until the end of the year. Still have the ticket stub.

My tradition continues.... I'll be out there on Sunday......Here We Go Stillers! Oh yea, weather Gods, bring on the snow if you want, we're going via a brand new Jeep.... So dump all ya like...lol

I'd suggest we get together on Sunday at some point before the game, but I'm not 100% sure I'll be there. My wife had surgery 2 days ago, and I had to stay home from work today to help her out. She is improving to the point that she doesn't help standing up and sitting down when she needs to go to the bathroom at this point, but I think she needs to improve a bit more before I would even consider leaving her for a full day. She really wants me to go (and I certainly want to be there for a game like this), but some things are more important. I may send my son to Pittsburgh with his grandfather for this game (with the understanding that he must scream his head off when we're on defense). She's trying to do more things herself tonight. We'll have to see how she's doing tomorrow before deciding what will happen on Sunday.

flippy
12-21-2012, 08:20 PM

I didn't know Gary Carter died. I really liked him and Raines and Dawson and Wallach. And then I think I liked the tie to Matty Alou for some reason. I thought it was neat they had Felipe and Moises. Mixing Spanish and French made them seem so exotic to me.

lloydroid
12-21-2012, 08:22 PM
My first game at Heinz was spent in the luxury club box seats (the seats in the 200s). It was in 2001, first year of HF. If you only make 1 game a year, or less, I suggest paying the extra $ for the luxury club (even though I didn't have to pay for the tickets, I would have - connections never hurt ;-) The experience of the club seats can't be beat. No lines in the bathroom, drinks of ANY sort, like a giant sports bar. A huge variety of food. I don't know if I will ever use a regular seat ticket ever again. I have been back several times, and only once didn't have the box seats. If you have to pay for an entire season of club seats, especially for four tickets, it could be cost prohibitive for most people, but if you are just going to one game a season, it makes it worth it, to do it up right. Also, we had tickets for a tail gate party, which was in a tent, outside the stadium and it was all you could eat and drink - with chefs cutting up beef, lamb, etc. How can you beat that? All of it was comped. I don't know how it could have been better than that.

flippy
12-21-2012, 08:29 PM
With all of the Hurricane Sandy devastation to the Jersey shore, you can't take Monopoly away from them and give it to the Canucks!

And, flip, your description of the drive from the airport to New Orleans sounds like the drive from the airport to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic.

Never been to Punta Cana, but I've driven an hour across Jamaica and saw the people living in outhouses that were 2 inches from the highway. I bet Punta Cana was poor like that. NO is a different kind of poor. Instead of huts and outhouses, it's more row houses but they look more run down than the huts in a foreign country. And I remember in Jamaica, there were people selling stuff on the street and they had some pride. They were like artists grinding to make a living but broke. In NO, the people look completely disenfranchised from society.

It's really depressing. Maybe it's a lot alike, but it just seems really bad going from so poor to an area that's so wealthy. The contrast throws you off a bit.

flippy
12-21-2012, 08:35 PM
My first game at Heinz was spent in the luxury club box seats (the seats in the 200s). It was in 2001, first year of HF. If you only make 1 game a year, or less, I suggest paying the extra $ for the luxury club (even though I didn't have to pay for the tickets, I would have - connections never hurt ;-) The experience of the club seats can't be beat. No lines in the bathroom, drinks of ANY sort, like a giant sports bar. A huge variety of food. I don't know if I will ever use a regular seat ticket ever again. I have been back several times, and only once didn't have the box seats. If you have to pay for an entire season of club seats, especially for four tickets, it could be cost prohibitive for most people, but if you are just going to one game a season, it makes it worth it, to do it up right. Also, we had tickets for a tail gate party, which was in a tent, outside the stadium and it was all you could eat and drink - with chefs cutting up beef, lamb, etc. How can you beat that? All of it was comped. I don't know how it could have been better than that.

My first game at Heinz, I talked one of the ushers into letting me in the club section. That really was nice. I watched some of the game from the corner of the endzone where there's no seats and it has to be the perfect view for watching a game.

If I was well off, I'd definitely get seats in the club section. I started talking to one of the ushers and found out he had family in NC and told him I drove 500 miles to see the game, it was my first time to see the stadium, yada yada and asked him if I could see what that section was like and for some reason he just said sure.

I bounced around the stadium looking for the perfect view. I watched parts of the game from everywhere.

RuthlessBurgher
12-21-2012, 09:24 PM

My Steeler season tix are in the upper deck end zone bleachers. My parents went to a summer concert a Heinz a year or so ago (some country stuff my mom likes) and he surprised her with club seats for that. When we go up to our Steeler seats now, my dad tends to brag about how great that was, and how he is spoiled now.