PDA

View Full Version : Redundant Thoughts 2012 Week 8 @ Bengals

redundantman
10-24-2012, 07:53 AM
deleted...

Eich
10-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Entertaining as usual but I didn't come away from that game as down on the team as you:

12. Perspective: What is it with this team? Are they as bad as they seem to be trying to tell us? For heaven’s sake please do not let the Bengals talk to the Chargers anytime soon (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/21/chargers-facing-sanctions-for-illegal-use-of-stickum/) because if the Bengals catch a couple of those passes that were hitting them in the hands as they streaked through the Steelers secondary the Steelers might not have won this game. The weeks go by in 2012 and it seems like we learn nothing new about this group of players. That might mean that there is nothing more to learn.

Streaky, inconsistent, injury-riddled... yes. But you can just as easily point to a few bad plays here or there for us and if we make those plays, we're 6-0.

Ravens looked unstoppable week one and they got destroyed 43-13 this past weekend.

It's an odd season of football so far but I don't see us much worse off than many other teams in the AFC.

We put together a darn nice running game against a stout D-Line with an O-Line that didn't resemble what was supposed to be our starting line this year. And Ben and his group of skill players are still finding their stride with a new coordinator.

I still think there's reason to hope for a decent season. It's not how you're playing at the start of the season that really matters (see Giants last year). It's finding a way to scratch your way into the playoffs and then playing your best ball then.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Good post, if a bit depressing...but I agree; the Steelers didn't show enough to ease my concerns, either. Hopefully, they undergo huge improvement for the remainder of the season, but I fear their 2012 campaign will end up being characterized by the word "mediocre."

pittpete
10-24-2012, 10:18 AM
The only time the Steelers looked good against the Bengals in that game,was the last drive.
Other wise they did everything in their power to keep Cincy in the game.
INT,fumble,numerous ST penalties and dropped passes.
Niether team wanted it bad enough till that last drive.
Steelers this year should be deemed shoulda,woulda,coulda....
I hope they prove me wrong...
Plenty of time to turn it around;)

redundantman
10-24-2012, 08:40 PM
deleted...

redundantman
10-24-2012, 08:42 PM
deleted...

lloydroid
10-24-2012, 09:16 PM
I'm sorry, but I saw a team overcome many early problems, actually run the ball with authority since the first time since I can't remember, and actually close a team, with a pretty good offense, on D in the 2nd half for the firs time since I can't recall. And for that, we get a 99% negative take? I don't agree. They showed me they could finally run the ball with authority and put a D out there that can shut the opponent down when needed. Bengals had less than 200 yards off offense and 105 yards of total passing, and for that, no kudos? Their all pro WR was held to 1 catch for 8 yards, and you see nothing positive about this game? Wow. I don't see it that way AT ALL. This is the NFL, not college ball where Alabama is playing north AB. No games is a given in the NFL, especially a road div. game.

skyhawk
10-25-2012, 01:44 AM
You're right. I was thinking in the first half that this was the worst team I think I have seen since like the 1999 or 2003 seasons. That's been a long time.

Second half was almost a stellar opposite. We dominate the Bengals and we win by only 7 - and not til our last drive and running out the clock is the victory sealed. To me, that's the epitome of mediocrity!

Slapstick
10-25-2012, 06:00 AM
It was an AFC win , on the road, in prime time, that happened to be against a divisional opponent...

I'm freaking ecstatic...

redundantman
10-25-2012, 06:45 AM
deleted...

redundantman
10-25-2012, 06:46 AM
deleted...

redundantman
10-25-2012, 06:47 AM
deleted...

steelblood
10-25-2012, 07:46 AM
Just about everything you wrote about the Bengals miscues being the difference in the game could have been written about the Steelers (had we lost). In fact, I'd say we had bigger drops than they did (twice that would have resulted in easy TDs). The Bengals didn't play well, but there were lots of positives in that game. Todd Haley called a fantastic game from start to finish. If not for drops from Batch, Wallace, Wallace, Wallace, and Wallace, we likely would have scored about 40 points. We drove the ball all night long. The drops and Ben's two turnovers short-circuited drives. To me, that is a huge positive. If the coaching is that strong and offensive line play is good enough, this offense (if healthy) should be very good. The two biggest question marks about our offense were strengths on Sunday night. Heck, the run blocking, against a good defensive line, was excellent. The Steeler defense was not perfect, but they were very good. One Bengal touchdown came on an 80-yard drive. Other than that, the defense was effective. Yes, the Bengals ran pretty well on first down. Yes, we didn't get to the QB as much as we should. Yes, there is still plenty to improve. But, Keenan Lewis had good coverage and awareness all night. Woodley pressured the QB a few times and had a pick. Ryan Clark continued a very solid season. Ike had some very good coverage (albeit with help over the top usually). We forced them to look like the away team, and we had a defensive scheme that was effective.

It wasn't beautiful, but it was a decisive road win against a division rival. Many positives came out this game. I've tempered my enthusiasm because it was just one game, but your gloom is certainly overstated.

Shawn
10-25-2012, 09:02 AM
I think Eich is onto something. Call it wishful thinking, but I truly believe the Steelers can sneak into the playoffs, get healthy, get more comfortable with the O, and peak just at the right time.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

pittpete
10-25-2012, 09:55 AM
The Bengals were in it until the last drive.
You can paint any picture you want, bottom line is we COULD NOT put the game away.

lloydroid
10-25-2012, 02:48 PM
It was an AFC win , on the road, in prime time, that happened to be against a divisional opponent...

I'm freaking ecstatic...

I am too. I don't get people who are mad at a win like this. If you want to complain about a win (and many feel you never should, a W is a W), then it would be the Iggles game, not this one. To hold a decent Cinci offense to under 200 yards is a stellar job. To run right over them in crunch time is exactly what this team needed. This game was great. Yea, the kept them in the game, but when it mattered most the D stepped up and the rushing game pounded them to crap. I have no problem with this win. I can't believe how negative some are.

lloydroid
10-25-2012, 02:49 PM
You can paint any picture you want, bottom line is we COULD NOT put the game away.

So, Cinci doesn't want to try to win too? Gee whiz, let's just shoot the Steelers for not winning by a wide margin. They should win every game by 40 or we should be depressed.

lloydroid
10-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Just about everything you wrote about the Bengals miscues being the difference in the game could have been written about the Steelers (had we lost). In fact, I'd say we had bigger drops than they did (twice that would have resulted in easy TDs). The Bengals didn't play well, but there were lots of positives in that game. Todd Haley called a fantastic game from start to finish. If not for drops from Batch, Wallace, Wallace, Wallace, and Wallace, we likely would have scored about 40 points. We drove the ball all night long. The drops and Ben's two turnovers short-circuited drives. To me, that is a huge positive. If the coaching is that strong and offensive line play is good enough, this offense (if healthy) should be very good. The two biggest question marks about our offense were strengths on Sunday night. Heck, the run blocking, against a good defensive line, was excellent. The Steeler defense was not perfect, but they were very good. One Bengal touchdown came on an 80-yard drive. Other than that, the defense was effective. Yes, the Bengals ran pretty well on first down. Yes, we didn't get to the QB as much as we should. Yes, there is still plenty to improve. But, Keenan Lewis had good coverage and awareness all night. Woodley pressured the QB a few times and had a pick. Ryan Clark continued a very solid season. Ike had some very good coverage (albeit with help over the top usually). We forced them to look like the away team, and we had a defensive scheme that was effective.

It wasn't beautiful, but it was a decisive road win against a division rival. Many positives came out this game. I've tempered my enthusiasm because it was just one game, but your gloom is certainly overstated.

Crackalackin pop-a-moppin. THIS /\ /\ /\ /\.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IBRbzf3Fws

They jacked them up down the final stretch like Rob Bass.

Slapstick
10-25-2012, 03:03 PM

If the Steelers had a lead, didn't give it up and won the game, isn't that the very definition of "putting the game away"?

Did the Chargers "put the game away" by going into halftime up 24-0?

pittpete
10-25-2012, 05:02 PM
My definition of "putting the game away" is going up by more than 7
Im sure you have watched the games this year when the Steelers couldnt put the game away and we lost.
I didnt watch the Chargers game and I could care less about them.

eniparadoxgma
10-25-2012, 05:29 PM
What's your avatar say, rm? I can see "White, Straight, Republican, Male" but not the bottom half.

redundantman
10-25-2012, 07:05 PM
deleted...

Slapstick
10-25-2012, 07:11 PM
White, straight, Republican male.
How else can I piss you off today?

Why would that piss anyone off?

eniparadoxgma
10-25-2012, 07:42 PM
White, straight, Republican male.
How else can I piss you off today?

Nice (although Republicrats are stupid! Long live the Democraticans!1).

redundantman
10-26-2012, 08:46 AM
deleted...

redundantman
10-26-2012, 08:46 AM
deleted...

BradshawsHairdresser
10-26-2012, 02:31 PM
I really hope John McCain wins this time.
I think he already has...