PDA

View Full Version : Ziggy Hood Not Getting it Done

NorthCoast
10-22-2012, 07:39 PM
It seemed to me every time focused in to see what Hood was up to, he was getting pushed and generally roughed up all over the field. In my opinion he is the biggest disappointment on what I think is just an average DL. Maybe I got so used to seeing Smith basically stand his guy up that anyone else in comparison looks poor. Just seemed he was a big part of the failed run defense last night.

NJ-STEELER
10-22-2012, 07:51 PM
its amazing to me we have a couple of these high priced/highly drafted defensive guys being bigger busts(timmons, wallace) by a large margin over someone like mike wallace and seeing wally get all this criticism

Keyplay1
10-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Certainly not going to disagree with this. For the past few games I have been wondering why he is even playing.

But in the last Quarter and a half of last nights game even Ziggy Hood seemed to flash a reversal of form.

I don't know what went on at half time in TS lockeroom but it was like a night and day difference in the teams play in most of the 2nd half. No penalties in the 4thQ, the D line was attacking and getting in the face of the QB forcing bad throws, etc. I have no idea what caused this but it was nice to watch. It would be nice to keep this type of focus and intensity going.

pittpete
10-22-2012, 08:06 PM
THink it all started when Colon belly flopped on that Bengal and squished him into the ground

birtikidis
10-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Why did zingy startlaying better? Because Ryan Clark started coming from weird angles. I think that DL was afraid to leave mundy deep so he left both safeties deep. Now that Allen got in and was doing well, we started bringing weird pressure. That make OL assignments more difficult. Once Mundy came in, we brought Ryan a lot less. The bengals still worried about it though and it helped ziggy keep free more often.

SteelAbility
10-22-2012, 09:21 PM
It seemed to me every time focused in to see what Hood was up to, he was getting pushed and generally roughed up all over the field. In my opinion he is the biggest disappointment on what I think is just an average DL. Maybe I got so used to seeing Smith basically stand his guy up that anyone else in comparison looks poor. Just seemed he was a big part of the failed run defense last night.

I agree it looked like Hood was getting totally handled. There was one play where the OL guy engaged him and seemed to move him a good 3-4 yards. Sheesh!

NorthCoast
10-22-2012, 10:24 PM
THink it all started when Colon belly flopped on that Bengal and squished him into the ground

Had to be one of the funniest plays I have seen in a while, my sides were splitting watching the slo-mo replay of Colon wriggling around on top of the guy....

DukieBoy
10-22-2012, 10:52 PM
I noticed Ziggy getting double-teamed a few times. Would like to go back to the tape and check that out more carefully.

I thought that Colon's domination on that guy had a significant effect on the game. Reminds me of how fights change hockey games sometimes.

papillon
10-23-2012, 06:41 AM
its amazing to me we have a couple of these high priced/highly drafted defensive guys being bigger busts(timmons, wallace) by a large margin over someone like mike wallace and seeing wally get all this criticism

If Hood would have not shown up for camp wanting large sums of money and turned down a fair offer he would be getting the same treatment. However, the word in camp was that he became a workout warrior and was doing everything he could to improve himself and when that happens you get a pass of sorts from the fans and media.

Pappy

Slapstick
10-23-2012, 07:38 AM
What happened with Hood? For some reason, Zeitler stopped holding him...

hawaiiansteel
10-23-2012, 03:05 PM
from Ed Bouchette's latest chat:

It looked like Cinci ran right all night. Do they have an all pro right guard or tackle? Or do they think Ziggy is the weak link on the Steelers D line? I felt like Ziggy got pushed around most of the game.

ME: Did you stop watching after the Bengalsí first drive? Cincinnati ran for 49 yards on that series and they did run to their right on their final five plays, scoring a touchdown doing so. They ran for 49 yards on their opening drive. After that, they ran for only 31 yards the rest of the night. Also, Ziggy Hood was credited with deflecting two passes and was fourth on the team with four tackles. Iím not comparing Hood to Aaron Smith, but if youíre going to criticize, do so with the right facts because that may have been Hoodís best game so far.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ises-to-qno-2q

BigRob
10-23-2012, 03:42 PM

It looked like Cinci ran right all night. Do they have an all pro right guard or tackle? Or do they think Ziggy is the weak link on the Steelers D line? I felt like Ziggy got pushed around most of the game.

ME: Did you stop watching after the Bengalsí first drive? Cincinnati ran for 49 yards on that series and they did run to their right on their final five plays, scoring a touchdown doing so. They ran for 49 yards on their opening drive. After that, they ran for only 31 yards the rest of the night. Also, Ziggy Hood was credited with deflecting two passes and was fourth on the team with four tackles. Iím not comparing Hood to Aaron Smith, but if youíre going to criticize, do so with the right facts because that may have been Hoodís best game so far.

Ziggy seemed to be playing a lot of nose on passing downs this game. We need Hampton from 8 years ago, not the version we have now. Not his fault, everyone gets old and he's coming off a knee injury.

BURGH86STEEL
10-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Only time will tell if Ziggy will develop more consistency.

RuthlessBurgher
10-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Yeah, he batted down two balls (finally someone was getting his paws up there...maybe coach Mitchell showed them some J.J. Watt tape to show them how it is done), and I believe Hood was pushing Zeitler back when Dalton hit Zeitler in the helmet with the ball, leading to Woodley's interception.

Oviedo
10-23-2012, 04:14 PM

ME: Did you stop watching after the Bengals’ first drive? Cincinnati ran for 49 yards on that series and they did run to their right on their final five plays, scoring a touchdown doing so. They ran for 49 yards on their opening drive. After that, they ran for only 31 yards the rest of the night. Also, Ziggy Hood was credited with deflecting two passes and was fourth on the team with four tackles. I’m not comparing Hood to Aaron Smith, but if you’re going to criticize, do so with the right facts because that may have been Hood’s best game so far.

Don't try to introduce facts into a veiled criticism of Tomlin's draft picks.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Don't try to introduce facts into a veiled criticism of Tomlin's draft picks.

so you feel like hood has lived up to his draft selection?

I don't.

he was never a good fit as a 34 end, IMO.

phillyesq
10-23-2012, 05:21 PM
so you feel like hood has lived up to his draft selection?

I don't.

he was never a good fit as a 34 end, IMO.

Eddie, I agree with you. I don't care who selected Ziggy Hood. He showed flashes in his second season but regressed last year. He did bat down 2 passes against the Bengals, but he was a target in the run game, especially early.

He seems like a good kid and a hard worker, but I'm not sure that he is a significant step up from a Nick Eason.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-23-2012, 05:30 PM
my thoughts exactly. This ridiculous debate over who picks who is mind numbing.

I'm a tomlin guy and I don't see how questioning hoods selection is viewed as a shot at tomlin. Maybe I'm just slow.

hood just hasn't impressed me very much. We heard all about his new workouts and new physique this year, but I wonder why it took him 3 years to get in that shape. Solid character guy, tries hard, just not a great football player.

flippy
10-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Solid character guy, tries hard, just not a great football player.

I wonder if all these high character guys are problematic. Don't you need a little crazy to play football. I'd rather find more guys with the demeanor of James Harrison. You've got the polar opposite in Troy, but he plays with a reckless abandon for his body, so I see him as having a little crazy in his style of play.

I just wonder if some of these character guys are willing to play with abandon and no fear. Not that I see anything wrong with anyone specific because of this, but it seems like it could be a collective issue.

steelz09
10-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Eddie, I agree with you. I don't care who selected Ziggy Hood. He showed flashes in his second season but regressed last year. He did bat down 2 passes against the Bengals, but he was a target in the run game, especially early.

He seems like a good kid and a hard worker, but I'm not sure that he is a significant step up from a Nick Eason.

I agree. I'm not trying to knock Hood (or a coule other high picks) but I'm not going to praise someone for 1 good season or a couple good games when they've underperformed the majority of their career.

NorthCoast
10-23-2012, 09:30 PM

ME: Did you stop watching after the Bengals’ first drive? Cincinnati ran for 49 yards on that series and they did run to their right on their final five plays, scoring a touchdown doing so. They ran for 49 yards on their opening drive. After that, they ran for only 31 yards the rest of the night. Also, Ziggy Hood was credited with deflecting two passes and was fourth on the team with four tackles. I’m not comparing Hood to Aaron Smith, but if you’re going to criticize, do so with the right facts because that may have been Hood’s best game so far.

I guess two people can look at the same game and see things totally different. Here is what ProFootball Focus had to say:

Cincinnati’s offensive line has gained a reputation as a good pass blocking group that struggles in the running game, though they played a balanced game on Sunday. Both guards played well as LG Clint Boling (+2.4) and RG Kevin Zeitler (+1.9) were the top-rated linemen for the Bengals. As usual, quiet is good for linemen, and neither player surrendered pressure on the Bengals’ 50 snaps. Zeitler did a particularly nice job in the running game getting to the second level and sealing Pittsburgh’s inside linebackers while Boling had a key block in the screen game. For the season, the duo remains in the Top 10 in our guard rankings

and this:

Steelers DE Ziggy Hood did not pick up any pressures on his 26 pass rushes, but he did bat down two passes.

So apparently Ziggy (and the whole OL) did their job of 'occupying blockers' but getting no pressure whatsoever. I disagree with those that claim the OL isn't designed to attack the QB and I would like someone to find a direct quote from the coaching staff stating such, cause in the game today that doesn't cut it.

Flasteel
10-23-2012, 10:12 PM
I guess two people can look at the same game and see things totally different. Here is what ProFootball Focus had to say:

and this:

So apparently Ziggy (and the whole OL) did their job of 'occupying blockers' but getting no pressure whatsoever. I disagree with those that claim the OL isn't designed to attack the QB and I would like someone to find a direct quote from the coaching staff stating such, cause in the game today that doesn't cut it.

Hood is a 3-4 DE. They line-up in what is called a 5-technique, which is head-up on the Tackle. What Bouchette is saying and the grades assigned to Cincy's guards by Pro Football Focus are not mutually exclusive...they can both be accurate assessments.

The guards will double-team either the NT or DE, while the other will pull or try to get out to the 2nd level and seal off the backers. The primary responsibility for the 3-4 defensive linemen is to occupy those blockers and either make the play, clog-up the running lanes, or keep the linebackers clean to make a play. They have 2 gap responsibility, which means they are supposed to engage, read, shed, and do one of those things I just mentioned.

It's tough to find guys who are stout enough to consistently defeat double-teams and display pass-rushing skills at the same time. The ones like Aaron Smith, or what we are seeing out of J.J. Watt, are obviously rare finds. You should expect your 3-4 DE to be able to mount some type of occasional pressure, but the scheme puts the linebackers in a position to make the play.

hawaiiansteel
10-24-2012, 01:13 AM
Hood is a 3-4 DE. They line-up in what is called a 5-technique, which is head-up on the Tackle. What Bouchette is saying and the grades assigned to Cincy's guards by Pro Football Focus are not mutually exclusive...they can both be accurate assessments.

The guards will double-team either the NT or DE, while the other will pull or try to get out to the 2nd level and seal off the backers. The primary responsibility for the 3-4 defensive linemen is to occupy those blockers and either make the play, clog-up the running lanes, or keep the linebackers clean to make a play. They have 2 gap responsibility, which means they are supposed to engage, read, shed, and do one of those things I just mentioned.

It's tough to find guys who are stout enough to consistently defeat double-teams and display pass-rushing skills at the same time. The ones like Aaron Smith, or what we are seeing out of J.J. Watt, are obviously rare finds. You should expect your 3-4 DE to be able to mount some type of occasional pressure, but the scheme puts the linebackers in a position to make the play.

great post :Clap

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-24-2012, 01:32 AM
Also, keep in mind that Dalton gets rid of the ball unusually quick. They showed some film during the game and on those plays he had the ball out in less than two seconds - and there were several instances. Cincy linemen don't have to keep there blocks for very long and we managed to get some push and were able to crowd Dalton when he dropped back even though he was not sacked.

Slapstick
10-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Watt also plays in a one-gap 3-4 scheme while Ziggy is responsible for two-gaps...that is a big difference....