PDA

View Full Version : What triggered the turnaround?

Keyplay1
10-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Everywhere you looked today fans were excited by the coming to life of the team especially in the 2nd half. The D was attacking. The O was in sync.

Anyone have any idea of something happening in the 2nd half that might have triggered this change. [Woodley's INT was in the 1st half]

I jokingly gave credit for the change to the Steelers taking a slug of Uncle Richie's magic elixir cure-all at halftime. I tried to post some pictures of those old west medicine man wagons and advertisements from that era but they would not post. That was supposed to be the antidote to that negative post about the Steelers losing a lot of 4thQ leads called Uncle Richies #1 D which was was funny but not too flattering.

But anyway you get the idea. There was a very noticeable change all round in the teams play. What caused it?

Could it have been Uncle Richie's Tonic? The ad did say Transform your sluggish, listless defense into a powerful energetic force instantly blah blah ----

Anybody think of a more logical reason for the turnaround?

Snatch98
10-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Three things were key to stopping drives last night.

1. Ziggy Hood and his bat downs. He did it on 3 separate occasions and it stopped drives
2. Ike Taylor, he played a great game even with the help over top. It's what we should be doing anyway with teams that have top receivers. Ike played a pretty aggressive game and I think it's because he knew he had a safety valve over top.
3. Keenan Lewis - also played a strong game and had a couple of huge knock downs that stalled drives

McClendon needs to be rotated in with Hampton and Troy needs to get healthy. If the line can continue to make holes like they did last night (Really just Willie Colon shutting stuff down) we'll continue to win games in the manner that we did last night. It was nice as others have mentioned to finally put a game away by owning the time of possession and running the football.

Slapstick
10-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Collinsworth brought attention to it last night, but when Colon went off on Vontaze Burfict, it seemed to get the offense riled up...

Snatch98
10-22-2012, 02:44 PM
I was laughing my ass off with Colon wiggling back and forth on top of Burfict. Sooooo funny.

hawaiiansteel
10-22-2012, 02:45 PM
I thought Woodley's interception right before halftime that allowed us to go into the locker room tied at 14-14 was the play of the game that completely changed momentum around.

AkronSteel
10-22-2012, 03:16 PM
I think the Woodley play was the turning point of that game for sure. He gave the Steelers the chance to put that start they had behind them and when they went to the locker room tied 14-14, I knew the game was going to be ours. They dominated the Bengals in the 2nd half completely. They need to do a better job of finishing off opponents and putting those closing points on the board but I will take it for now. I think this puts the Steelers right where they need to be going into the next stretch.

ikestops85
10-22-2012, 04:17 PM
I was laughing my ass off with Colon wiggling back and forth on top of Burfict. Sooooo funny.

That was one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time. Man, I have to sympathize with any women who is underneath good ole Willie when he is going at it. :shock:

On a side note I was impressed with how well Burfict played. The Bengals might have picked up a winner in the UDFA sweepstakes.

SDSteel1
10-22-2012, 04:30 PM
That's what funny about fans. They think there was some kind of "turnaround". We won by a touchdown....as opposed to losing by a field goal. The offense is getting better under the new system, and maybe Lebeau game planned a little better. Other than that we made 2 or 3 more plays than they did. If you look at our margin of loss this year you can see that we could very easily be 5-1 if not 6-0. There was no turnaround, but after a few losses the players might have paid attention to detail on a few more plays, and that was the difference. Wallace dropped 3 balls, and Batch dropped a TD. Ike was stilll making some contact after 5 yards, Harrison was still pretty invisable, the D line got blown off the ball on the first drive, Ben threw a pick in the endzone and fumbled in our own red zone. We gave the ball back to them while leading by a TD 3 times in the forth quarter without putting it out of reach. There was no "turnaround" we just happen to be on the winning side today.

BigRob
10-22-2012, 04:32 PM
That was one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time. Man, I have to sympathize with any women who is underneath good ole Willie when he is going at it. :shock:

On a side note I was impressed with how well Burfict played. The Bengals might have picked up a winner in the UDFA sweepstakes.

I thought Burfict made 2 or 3 really good plays, but there were plenty of plays where he got the **** blocked out of him.

hawaiiansteel
10-22-2012, 04:43 PM

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/c50.0.403.403/p403x403/29349_547697811923137_801243560_n.jpg

Keyplay1
10-22-2012, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE=SDSteel1;529395]That's what funny about fans. They think there was some kind of "turnaround". We won by a touchdown....as opposed to losing by a field goal. The offense is getting better under the new system, and maybe Lebeau game planned a little better. Other than that we made 2 or 3 more plays than they did. If you look at our margin of loss this year you can see that we could very easily be 5-1 if not 6-0. There was no turnaround, but after a few losses the players might have paid attention to detail on a few more plays, and that was the difference. Wallace dropped 3 balls, and Batch dropped a TD. Ike was stilll making some contact after 5 yards, Harrison was still pretty invisable, the D line got blown off the ball on the first drive, Ben threw a pick in the endzone and fumbled in our own red zone. We gave the ball back to them while leading by a TD 3 times in the forth quarter without putting it out of reach. There was no "turnaround" we just happen to be on the winning side today.

True! But, almost all of the above occurred before TS tied the score at 17-17 with 8:20 left in the 3rdQ. Cinci took over 1-10 at their 39 yard line were forced to punt 4th-10 from the 39. Their next 4 possessions ended with forced punts from their 20, 39, 21, and 11. The last one with 3:57 left in the game. They did not see the ball again and only made 1 1st down in those 5 possessions.

That defensive effort was a far cry from recent games where big leads were being wasted. That could be regarded as a turnaround.

It is possible that poor execution on the Bengals part caused this. But, certainly plenty of stellar plays were made by the Steelers.

You said: "We gave the ball back to them while leading by a TD 3 times in the forth quarter without putting it out of reach. There was no "turnaround" we just happen to be on the winning side today."

That is also true. But the production of the Bengals last 5 possessions was 1 1st down.

TS 2nd possession resulted in a 67 yard drive for a TD. Their 4th possession TS drove from their 31 to the Cinci 37 Ben pooched the ball to the 11 a successful drive. The final Steeler drive ended near the goal line if more points were needed. Also TS did not get penalized in the 4thQ. Sounds like a turnaround of some kind to me.

feltdizz
10-22-2012, 09:17 PM
I thought someone said their starting Center went down.. They cashed us on the first drive but after that it.was shutdown.. the run D definitely.improved.

SteelAbility
10-22-2012, 09:31 PM
I think the Woodley play was the turning point of that game for sure. He gave the Steelers the chance to put that start they had behind them and when they went to the locker room tied 14-14, I knew the game was going to be ours. They dominated the Bengals in the 2nd half completely. They need to do a better job of finishing off opponents and putting those closing points on the board but I will take it for now. I think this puts the Steelers right where they need to be going into the next stretch.

An argument could be made that Woodley has better hands than Wallace. ;)