PDA

View Full Version : How Todd Haley and Big Ben are getting along…

hawaiiansteel
10-18-2012, 08:43 PM
A look at the Steelers’ offense and how Todd Haley and Big Ben are getting along…

by Ian Rapoport

http://nfldotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/steelers-fan.jpg?w=199&h=300

Steelers fans… not happy. (Associated Press)

Through six weeks of the season, the Steelers are banged up, beaten up and 2-3. All, of course, is not well. That road loss to the Titans only underscored the issues. The defense is hurting, the offense hasn’t found its rhythm, they are currently looking up at the Bengals and Ravens in the AFC North.

Statistically, just like actually, it has been a struggle for the offense. Even with a talented quarterback like Ben Roethlisberger and WRs like Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace, they are ranked just 17th in scoring with 23.2 points and 16th in total offense with 360 yards. In other words, mediocre.

Now, there are some issues to point to as far as why the unit is inconsistent. Offensive line injuries have crushed them, and you can’t overlook that. Wallace’s holdout didn’t help. Neither have the injury issues of RB Rashard Mendenhall. But still, it is the responsibility of new offensive coordinator Todd Haley to produce, and it has yet to come together. Of course, the Haley-Roethlisberger relationship is one we have been discussing all season.

So, let’s discuss it.

I am told that the Haley-Roethlisberger relationship is what everyone expected. It is not great. They have butted heads. We’ve read about the much-publicized incident where Big Ben used last year’s signals, and that didn’t go over well. It also was indicative of a QB who didn’t trust or feel comfortable with the current system.

Before we continue the discussion on Haley — and everyone knew beforehand that he is as gruff as they come — let’s take a step back. How did the Steelers end up in this situation with an OC who clashes with the QB after Roethlisberger and Bruce Arians got along so well?

I’m told Steelers coach Mike Tomlin wanted to hire running backs coach Kirby Wilson as his offensive coordinator after last season. That was his intention. Yet Wilson was involved in a tragic incident with a fire, and no one could predict how his health would rebound. Sad to say, but the team had to essentially move on in its search. In fact, Wilson (the RBs coach, still) wears bandages from the incident.

While Wilson dealt with his health, Tomlin had to act. And so, on Feb. 7, he hired Haley. Tomlin knew there was nobody better available, thanks to Wilson’s situation. While Tomlin didn’t love Haley’s interview — it wasn’t great — he felt obligated to make the move. After all, Haley might be gone if he waited for Wilson to improve.

There is also the thought, I’m told, that Tomlin felt pressure from above, notably from Art Rooney II, to run a slightly tighter ship this year. Haley, who is intense, would theoretically help that. The issue, though, is that Big Ben and Haley have had their disagreements. With Wilson or Arians, Roethlisberger just meshed well. Thus far, it hasn’t happened with Haley.

All of which makes me wonder… If the trend of the Steelers’ offense continues, might we see Tomlin next year eventually promote Wilson, hiring the guy he always wanted to hire anyway? Could it be a one-year stay for Haley? It’s all up in the air.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/10/18/a-look-at-the-steelers-offense-and-how-todd-haley-and-big-ben-are-getting-along/

NJ-STEELER
10-18-2012, 09:37 PM
how did "last years signals not go over well" when its part (allegedly) of the play book now

steelz09
10-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Ben needs to worry about executing a bit better in the redzone and less whining about his lover Arians being gone.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-19-2012, 12:51 AM
"I am told ..."

Count up how many times he writes that. The words of a hack, not a reporter. I am told the author eats babies. See?

BSC points out this is the guy who reported DeCastro tore his MCL. So what he writes is pretty much not worth the pixels on our screen.

And finally - who cares if they are happy with each other. I think Ben is playing much better, and smarter, and I think his quick throws will probably wind up with his staying healthier and being our QB for a few more years than he would have otherwise.

What a D.

steelblood
10-19-2012, 07:32 AM
The writer would fail freshman English. His title is "A Look at the Steelers Offense and How Todd Haley and Big Ben are Getting Along." Most of the article deals with how Haley was hired. And his only two sentences about the relationship center around some gossip that he has heard that they don't get along. The internet is a wonderful thing, but some people should realize that they need to read more and write less.

Shawn
10-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Pure unadulterated silliness. Arians and Ben underproduced together for years....despite them being cozy. I could care less how Ben likes Haley or Haley likes Ben. I don't know what the stats say, but I see a young O...that looks better than it has in years despite the injuries on the OL. It passes the eye test and will continue to improve.

Mister Pittsburgh
10-19-2012, 09:33 AM
I would say most our offensive issues revolve around having no running game, a piss poor offensive line, and receivers on quite a few occasions have dropped passes. Nothing more.

Sugar
10-19-2012, 10:14 AM
If you look at the comments under the article, the author gets flamed pretty bad for this poor effort.

papillon
10-19-2012, 10:42 AM
I would say most our offensive issues revolve around having no running game, a piss poor offensive line, and receivers on quite a few occasions have dropped passes. Nothing more.

But, other than those few "minor" issues they're doing fine. :p

Pappy

Mister Pittsburgh
10-19-2012, 12:39 PM
But, other than those few "minor" issues they're doing fine. :p

Pappy

Yeah really Pappy. What else could go wrong? I see Ben rolled his ankle Thursday so the issue train keeps rolling on and on. If we are destined to miss the playoffs then I hope we go 4-12 and draft at the top for once cause we have a lot of areas we need some major talent infusions.