PDA

View Full Version : Ta'amu now a felon.....wow.

Mister Pittsburgh
10-14-2012, 10:39 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/neighborhoods-city/vehicles-damaged-while-suspect-flees-police-657540/

This organization needs a good housecleaning.

tiproast
10-14-2012, 10:51 AM
This organization needs a good housecleaning.

Stuff like this happens to every team. Happens less to solid organizations like the Steelers, Giants and Pats, but it still happens. Isolated incidents are not an indictment of the front office or the team culture.

Haters will use it for a little while, then everyone (haters included) will move on.

Lebsteel
10-14-2012, 11:03 AM
...and so will Ta'amu...with another team.

DrCalculus
10-14-2012, 11:22 AM
And once again we see an example of a very simple truth: Alcohol makes you do stupid stuff. If you can't handle it, don't drink it. Period.

Jooser
10-14-2012, 11:23 AM
He's done, so much for that little experiment. Our draft picks have not been too hot lately.

ramblinjim
10-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Good lord, I've done some pretty dumb things but this is pretty bad...

Shoe
10-14-2012, 11:56 AM
He's done, so much for that little experiment. Our draft picks have not been too hot lately.

He might be done as a Steeler, but you mean as a football player? I think he can still have a future, obviously after MATURING a whole lot.

Whatever... he shouldn't be wearing the #95 anyway (should be on the officially/unofficially retired list).

Oviedo
10-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Freakin stupid. Problems getting a Nose Tackle for the 3-4 just got worse. We already have a completely ineffective Hampton. Herein lies the issue I rail about with regards to replenishing the talent required to run a successful, elite 3-4 defense.

Mister Pittsburgh
10-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Here is a more detailed account.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/neighborhoods-city/vehicles-damaged-while-suspect-flees-police-657540/

He is very lucky he didn't kill someone or that the cops didn't shoot him.

Oviedo
10-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Here is a more detailed account.

He is very lucky he didn't kill someone or that the cops didn't shoot him.

Or become the next Gabe Rivera????

I don't think Ta'amu is long for the Steelers.

DukieBoy
10-14-2012, 02:19 PM
By that detailed report, I'd think he's likely to wear a non-NFL uniform for quite a while. Sad. Hope he will redeem himself when the time becomes right for redemption.

steelz09
10-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Yikes... It's one thing to get a DUI but this?

Talk about making a bad situation.. a worse one.

hawaiiansteel
10-14-2012, 02:59 PM

our draft is quickly going from an A to a D-

Vindrow
10-14-2012, 03:00 PM
He has 15 charges against him and 5 of those are felonies.

I would say that he will see jail time....even if they plea bargain this I can't see them giving him a plea bargain with no jail time.

pittpete
10-14-2012, 03:28 PM
He definitely deseves jailtime, pro football player or not:mad:

bostonsteeler
10-14-2012, 03:39 PM
He definitely deseves jailtime, pro football player or not:mad:

They ought to conduct an IQ test on players. Nobody with an IQ less than 80 should be allowed on the team. This is beyond imbecilic behavior.

squidkid
10-14-2012, 04:02 PM
They ought to conduct an IQ test on players. Nobody with an IQ less than 80 should be allowed on the team. This is beyond imbecilic behavior.

the nfl would be down to 16 teams if you implemented the 80 IQ rule.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-14-2012, 04:12 PM
just wow. The stupidity of some of these guys is alarming. Never mind paying for a damn cab, the nfl provides a car service to avoid this kind of crap.

I bet he is cut before practice monday.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-14-2012, 06:16 PM
just wow. The stupidity of some of these guys is alarming. Never mind paying for a damn cab, the nfl provides a car service to avoid this kind of crap. I bet he is cut before practice monday. Sadly, if he had displayed anything of this running ability prior to this episode, he might have had a future playing offense for the Steelers...he's probably more elusive than any if the RBs on our roster....

Jigawatts
10-14-2012, 06:51 PM
The cops should have had Marcus Gilbert fall on his leg to immobilize him.

DukieBoy
10-14-2012, 06:56 PM

Man, that is laugh out loud funny. My wife is asking "Whatta you laughing at, the Steelers lost".

Sugar
10-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Of course, the Steelers and the NFL have their obligatory investigation. However, I expect this guy will be cut loose in short order.

Jooser
10-14-2012, 08:01 PM
He might be done as a Steeler, but you mean as a football player? I think he can still have a future, obviously after MATURING a whole lot.

Whatever... he shouldn't be wearing the #95 anyway (should be on the officially/unofficially retired list).

Yeah, I guess we'll see how he develops for the penal league. He's a felon, and there's a girl with a serious head injury by police accounts because of him. He doesn't deserve a chance with any other team....:eek:

jj28west
10-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Now that is funny

phillyesq
10-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Freakin stupid. Problems getting a Nose Tackle for the 3-4 just got worse. We already have a completely ineffective Hampton. Herein lies the issue I rail about with regards to replenishing the talent required to run a successful, elite 3-4 defense.

This is completely Lebeau's fault. He must have been forcing Ta'amu to do shots. I mean, if we ran a 4-3, where you need not just one good DT, but at least 2, this never would have happened. :roll::roll::roll:

Oviedo
10-14-2012, 09:04 PM
This is completely Lebeau's fault. He must have been forcing Ta'amu to do shots. I mean, if we ran a 4-3, where you need not just one good DT, but at least 2, this never would have happened. :roll::roll::roll:

Who mentioned LeBeau? The comment was about how thin we are at the NT position.

birtikidis
10-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Philly, dl was obviously telling him not to do shots, but what dl was telling him was so complicated that ta'amu being a rookie couldn't figure it out

phillyesq
10-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Who mentioned LeBeau? The comment was about how thin we are at the NT position.

Ta'amu was stupid and this is a problem for him. But connecting it to the 3-4 that you constant rail again (in your words) is a complete stretch.

hawaiiansteel
10-15-2012, 02:53 AM
Steelers rookie arrested on 15 counts of DUI, resisting-arrest charges after car chase, wreck

By Jay Busbee

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/vXExoGWoxXa5_e1guv1oIQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnflexperts/c1014taamu.jpg

Off weekends can be trouble in the NFL. Without a game to play on Sunday, the Steelers' Alameda Ta'amu, a rookie defensive lineman, got himself into a whole mess of trouble with Pittsburgh police early Sunday morning.

Ta'amu began the public-relations nightmare by driving a 2006 Lincoln Navigator the wrong way down a street on Pittsburgh's South Side at about 2:30 a.m. Sunday. From there, it was a cascade of illegality:

• He was observed swerving into other lanes, passing multiple vehicles, running red lights and speeding in a pedestrian-heavy zone.

• He then refused several orders from police to stop the car and get out of the vehicle, apparently even driving his SUV straight at a couple of the officers and forcing them to dive out of the way. The officers drew their guns, but did not fire, according to the criminal complaint, "due to the large number of pedestrians and motorists on the sidewalks and roadway."

• He slammed into a parked vehicle, injuring the driver, who was still in the vehicle.

• He kept going, finally hitting several other cars so hard that he disabled his own SUV.

• He got out of the car, took off his shirt, and began to run from police.

• He was finally subdued in a parking lot --at 6-foot-3, 348 pounds, he required multiple officers -- and handcuffed when he resisted arrest.

• His blood-alcohol content was found to be .196 percent, more than twice Pennsylvania's legal limit of .08 percent.

Yeah, that ... that's not so good. Any one of those would be worthy of a harsh punishment from the league. Together? Put it this way: Ta'amu hasn't yet played this season, and that's not likely to change anytime soon. He was arrested on 15 counts and will face a preliminary hearing on Oct. 23.

''We are disappointed to hear about the situation regarding Alameda Ta'amu,''

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said in a press release. ''We will gather more facts before providing any further comment.'' Seems a wise idea.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/steelers-rookie-arrested-dui-charges-car-chase-wreck-204535847--nfl.html

Ghost
10-15-2012, 08:37 AM
I will NEVER, EVER understand why guys who make insane amounts of money can't pay for a cab (or a car service). If you know you are headed out for a night of drinking (and he definitley had double digit number of drinks), don't even bother taking your car. My wife and I have a date night this Saturday (w/ a 21 month old it doesn't happen much...) and I will have a taxi pick us up at the house. My BAC won't be double the limit, but enough that I don't want to be driving, even though we'll be only 4 miles form home.

This situation is beyond insane. No wonder he was struggling with the playbook. He's dumb as a bag of hammers.

phillyesq
10-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Philly, dl was obviously telling him not to do shots, but what dl was telling him was so complicated that ta'amu being a rookie couldn't figure it out

It's really amazing that he was even allowed to do shots as a rookie. Hampton and McClendon must have been injured.

Jooser
10-15-2012, 12:25 PM
It's really amazing that he was even allowed to do shots as a rookie. Hampton and McClendon must have been injured.

What's really amazing is that the Steelers FO actually let him have his own car as a rookie. Now we know why they won't let rookies drink and drive....

NW Steeler
10-15-2012, 01:25 PM
He's a UW Husky. What did anyone expect?

RuthlessBurgher
10-15-2012, 01:35 PM
It's rather easy for a 110 pound woman to get a little tipsy during a night out at the bar. But how much alcohol does it take to get a guy who weighs somewhere between 350-400 lbs. to blow nearly a .2? A mind-blowing amount of booze would be required, right? Wow...

Oviedo
10-15-2012, 01:42 PM
It's rather easy for a 110 pound woman to get a little tipsy during a night out at the bar. But how much alcohol does it take to get a guy who weighs somewhere between 350-400 lbs. to blow nearly a .2? A mind-blowing amount of booze would be required, right? Wow...

Also a mind-blowing amount of stupid. What I'm waiting to hear is who was he out with. I find it surprising that a young man in a new town, part of a professional football team just went out alone to get hammered. To me, it would seem like some of his teammates would be with him and if so they weren't taking care of each other.

I'll just be interested to find out if he was out with other Steelers.

Djfan
10-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Also a mind-blowing amount of stupid. What I'm waiting to hear is who was he out with. I find it surprising that a young man in a new town, part of a professional football team just went out alone to get hammered. To me, it would seem like some of his teammates would be with him and if so they weren't taking care of each other.

I'll just be interested to find out if he was out with other Steelers.

Does he have a "Posse"?

Slapstick
10-15-2012, 02:56 PM
I think Corbin Bryant is looking for a job, still...

bostonsteeler
10-15-2012, 10:08 PM

Rofl!! .

bostonsteeler
10-15-2012, 10:11 PM
I will NEVER, EVER understand why guys who make insane amounts of money can't pay for a cab (or a car service). If you know you are headed out for a night of drinking (and he definitley had double digit number of drinks), don't even bother taking your car. My wife and I have a date night this Saturday (w/ a 21 month old it doesn't happen much...) and I will have a taxi pick us up at the house. My BAC won't be double the limit, but enough that I don't want to be driving, even though we'll be only 4 miles form home.

This situation is beyond insane. No wonder he was struggling with the playbook. He's dumb as a bag of hammers.

IQ dude. You're comparing >>120 to <<80.

SS Laser
10-15-2012, 11:32 PM
WOW! Serious trouble. But I hope the steelers get this young man REAL help. You guys throw him under the bus but let Harrison go. It happens. Let Ben go twice. And to non steeler fans he is a rapist. Overheard it at then titans game. This is a young man who needs help. It is sad he was not thinking about the impact his drinking would have. But most people that have a serious problem it is not till after the fact it hits home. Lets see if he learns anything before we condone him.

hawaiiansteel
10-16-2012, 03:04 AM
Ta’amu addresses Steelers regarding arrest

By Mark Kaboly
Published: Monday, October 15, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=6g$0u 58Oz3HPAeTEBYkr7c$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuoC47689qN_Lm RN6GixL78WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu during mini camp on the South Side June 2012.

Alameda Ta’amu was at the Steelers’ practice facility Monday and apologized to teammates, but the organization remains mum on what punishment the rookie defensive lineman faces in the wake of multiple felony charges following an early-morning police chase over the weekend.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin informed the team about Ta’amu’s arrest during a morning meeting, and according to some of his teammates, the 350-pound nose tackle apologized to his fellow defensive linemen during position meetings early Monday.

“I talked to him, and he was remorseful,” Casey Hampton said. “He feels really bad about it. He knows what happened was a bad thing. He made a mistake, and that’s the way I look at it, not taking away what he did because it was a terrible thing. We have to ride with him and see what happens.”

Ta’amu, 22, was driving a sport utility vehicle that hit several cars on 14th Street on the South Side and was arrested about 2:30 a.m. Sunday after a chase and scuffle in which an officer punched him twice, according to Zone 3 police.

According to the police report, Ta’amu faces felony charges of fleeing police, aggravated assault while driving drunk and three counts of aggravated assault for nearly running down three police officers.

Ta’amu also was charged with 10 misdemeanors, including resisting arrest, attempting escape, drunken driving and failure to obey traffic laws. His blood alcohol level was 0.196 percent, more than twice the legal limit, police said. Ta’amu posted $25,000 bail and was released Sunday.

“It is a serious situation. It is a dangerous situation,” safety Ryan Clark said. “You are just happy that he didn’t injure anybody or himself.”

The organization said it has no further comment regarding Ta’amu’s situation.

While his teammates said that they will continue to support Ta’amu, they also understand the severity of his actions.

“It is a very serious situation, and that’s how we are viewing it,” defensive captain Brett Keisel said. “Matters like these are touchy. I am glad I don’t have to make those decisions because they are very serious. They have a tough call to make.”

Ta’amu was the Steelers’ fourth-round pick this year out of the University of Washington. He is of Samoan descent, and his father is a retired pastor. Ta’amu made a connection with fellow Samoan Troy Polamalu.

Ta’amu, Polamalu and Clark bonded during training camp, and they routinely ate together and went to see movies.

Clark said he reached out to Ta’amu in a “nonjudgmental kind of way” Sunday, but refused to reveal details of the conversation.

“You don’t ‘Amen’ this as in it is OK to do, but you don’t throw him away,” Clark said. “You don’t exile him from the team, you don’t stop talking to him, you don’t stop being his friend because if you are family, you don’t do that. I want to help him through this and help him be part of the Pittsburgh Steelers and, if that’s possible, when he’s back, he is going to be the same brother before this happened.”

Fellow nose tackle Steve McLendon said he was surprised to hear of Ta’amu’s involvement in the incident. Ta’amu is widely regarded by his teammates as a down-to-earth family man with a pleasant demeanor.

“He has to be held accountable,” offensive tackle Max Starks said. “Something like this can happen to any of us. I am sure everybody has had the decision if you are OK (to drive or not).”

The Steelers refused to label Ta’amu’s arrest as a possible distraction.

“That’s overblown,” linebacker Larry Foote said. “We’re grown men. We’ve just got to go out there and execute.”

http://triblive.com/sports/2780255-85/amu-steelers-police-arrest-teammates-clark-situation-sunday-tackle-according#ixzz29R3WLQHg

phillyesq
10-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Apparently the Steelers are sticking with Ta'amu:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/16/steelers-support-taamu-after-dui-arrest/

What he did was incredibly dumb, but this is an organization that will give players support and a second chance. I support the decision.

I hope, for Ta'amu's sake, that he makes the most of it and does not squander his opportunity.

phillyesq
10-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Guess he is also getting a 2 game suspension, according to reports on twitter.

Oviedo
10-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Apparently the Steelers are sticking with Ta'amu:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/16/steelers-support-taamu-after-dui-arrest/

What he did was incredibly dumb, but this is an organization that will give players support and a second chance. I support the decision.

I hope, for Ta'amu's sake, that he makes the most of it and does not squander his opportunity.

Hey, if Ray Lewis can commit conspiracy to commit murder and then become the league's poster boy there is hope for everyone.

feltdizz
10-16-2012, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we give him a second chance... if he was at the end of his career or up for a new contract we would probably cut him but the Steeler's high character reputation has always been a myth IMO.

He will be on a short leash but I doubt we give up on a 4th rounder because he can't control his liquor.

Oviedo
10-16-2012, 01:12 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we give him a second chance... if he was at the end of his career or up for a new contract we would probably cut him but the Steeler's high character reputation has always been a myth IMO.

He will be on a short leash but I doubt we give up on a 4th rounder because he can't control his liquor.

Wesley Saunders thought something similar to that was true also!!!!!!

BradshawsHairdresser
10-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Hey, if Ray Lewis can commit conspiracy to commit murder and then become the league's poster boy there is hope for everyone.

It's always amazed me what the NFL overlooked for Rah-Rah Ray, but you know they won't handle things the same way for every player and every team...

BradshawsHairdresser
10-16-2012, 01:14 PM

If you pulled the kind of crap he did, would your employer give you a second chance? I know mine wouldn't.

ikestops85
10-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Wesley Saunders thought something similar to that was true also!!!!!!

I was sad to see them drop Saunders. I think the guy has the potential to be a star in this league.

hawaiiansteel
10-16-2012, 03:15 PM
this is Ta'amu's 2nd DUI arrest, guess he didn't learn his lesson last time...

Steelers suspend rookie lineman Ta'amu after South Side DUI arrest

October 16, 2012
By Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have suspended rookie defensive lineman Alameda Ta'amu for two weeks because of his Sunday morning arrest on the South Side that resulted in 15 charges, including felonies.

Mike Tomlin revealed the punishment at the start of his noon press conference. He said Ta'amu would not be paid and will not be permitted in the team's facility during those two weeks.

"We deemed his actions to be detrimental to the our team," Tomlin said. "It's a disturbing incident, one we take very seriously in our community."

Ta'amau, a fourth-round draft choice, will not be allowed to practice with the team or attend the facility during his suspension. He will be allowed to return the week leading up to the Nov. 4 game against the New York Giants.

The action by the Steelers points up the league's desire to have the involved team handle disciplinary measures for offending players.

But Commissioner Roger Goodell can increase the penalty for the player and also fine or discipline the team if he thinks the original penalty is not severe enough.

Tomlin said there is no further punishment planned for Ta'amu, who is scheduled for a preliminary hearing Oct. 23.

"We thought it was very important to act quickly in addressing this," Tomlin said.

In the Sunday incident, Ta'amu faces felony counts of fleeing police and aggravated assault while driving drunk and three counts of aggravated assault because officers said he nearly ran down police with his vehicle.

He also is charged with 10 misdemeanors, including resisting arrest and attempting escape. Police said he crashed his 2006 Lincoln Navigator into several vehicles while fleeing them on the South Side.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported earlier that court records show that Ta'amu also was charged with driving under the influence in October 2011 for an incident that occurred Dec. 12, 2009, when Ta'amu was playing for the University of Washington.

Trooper Joe Gannon of the Washington State Patrol wrote in a report that he stopped Ta'amu for driving 73 mph in a 60 mph zone on Interstate 5 about 3:40 a.m. and "smelled an odor of alcohol coming from him and ... observed his blood-shot watery eyes."

Police said Ta'amu, who was 19 at the time of the Washington arrest, blew a 0.097 and 0.098 on breath tests and told them he drank six Budweisers in three hours before he attempted to drive home in a 1993 Chevrolet Suburban.

Prosecutors initially charged him with driving under the influence, but he instead later pleaded guilty to negligent driving, for which he was sentenced to one day in a community-work program and ordered to pay a $350 fine.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-suspend-rookie-lineman-taamu-after-south-side-dui-arrest-657765/#ixzz29U0fPQ30

pittpete
10-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Doesnt matter if they keep him, hes going to do jail time.....
Next time he probably kills someone.
Lock him up and install a device on his vehicle he blows into.

Oviedo
10-16-2012, 04:28 PM
The Ta'amu incident is another reason not to like Thursday night games. If we had a game on Sunday unlikely this ever happens.

hawaiiansteel
10-16-2012, 04:31 PM
The Ta'amu incident is another reason not to like Thursday night games. If we had a game on Sunday unlikely this ever happens.

Ed: Tomlin Forgot to Give 'The Speech'

TUESDAY, 16 OCTOBER 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Linebacker Larry Foote said this morning that Mike Tomlin did not give his normal speech warning his players not to get into trouble since they had the weekend off. He gave them a speech Friday back in Pittsburgh after the Thursday night game, but he did not tell them not to get into trouble as he normally does. Less than two days later, Alameda Ta’amu got into a heap of legal trouble on Pittsburgh’s South Side.

Speaking on his regular Tuesday morning slot on FM radio’s 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh, Foote said Tomlin always warns his players before a long weekend or bye week:

“Not to throw more gasoline on the situation but that’s Mike Tomlin’s number 1 speech – don’t be the guy, especially with days off.”

But he said Tomlin was “a little more upset” on Friday because of Thursday night’s loss and may have forgotten to give his normal warning.

“Friday wasn’t a happy sendoff meeting or speech, but he didn’t drill into our head as” he nornally does, Foote said. “All through training camp and before our bye week or when we have a couple days off, he always says Don’t be that guy, don’t be down in Miami getting Tasered by the police.’ He always gives us numbers if you’re drinking to call this person, they’ll pick you up. He’s firm about that.’’

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118516-ed-tomlin-forgot-to-give-the-speech

Eddie Spaghetti
10-16-2012, 08:01 PM
sadly, this reeks of desperation on the steelers part, IMO.

they already have 2 picks tied up in this guy and drafting another NT costs them another. They just can't afford it due to poor drafting on that side of the ball recently.

hopefully this serves as a wake up call for this young man and he gets the help/counseling he seems to need.

aggiebones
10-16-2012, 11:40 PM
2 picks? It was a 4th rounder. Let's not exaggerate this.
Its not RG3 here that we gave up our future for. He fell to us and had some hope.

Seems like guys that fall to us...should be skipped. Of the years, we always get excited about higher rated guys that fall and maybe we shouldn't. I wanted this guy in the 2nd! At least that didn't happen.

zaracolnn
10-17-2012, 04:52 AM
Pittsburgh Steeler, Alameda Ta’amu was arrested on numerous charges Sunday following a DUI incident (http://www.quicksr22insurance.com/) in which he sped in and out of lanes on the wrong side of the street, hit a driver in her parked car, and hit seven other cars while leading police on a chase that ended with him resisting arrest before being taken into custody. Drunk driving is a serious offense and can have different consequences depending upon where you live.

feltdizz
10-17-2012, 08:50 AM
If you pulled the kind of crap he did, would your employer give you a second chance? I know mine wouldn't.

I'll never understand why fans keep using their job as an example of what should happen to a football player.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-17-2012, 09:28 AM
2 picks? It was a 4th rounder. Let's not exaggerate this.
Its not RG3 here that we gave up our future for. He fell to us and had some hope..

we traded our sixth and spent our fourth, so yes, that is two picks.