PDA

View Full Version : Troy Polamalu Is Our MVP

stopplayn
10-13-2012, 12:32 PM
The Steelers are 28-9 wit Polamalu in the lineup and 7-9 without Him. Opponents score 14.8 Points WITH him and we give up 21.6 WITHOUT him. It is clear that we need to keep him healty. I have never EVER seen a team so dependant on a defensive player. Ever.

stopplayn
10-13-2012, 07:45 PM
I know guys HATE to agree with ANYTHING I post. Merely because I posted it. Thats Ok but this is a fact that cannot be ignored, we are garbage without this man.

stopplayn
10-13-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm glad I got to witness such a great talent and great professional. 1st ballot hall of famer and best SS in the history of the NFL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0R0djSFq-s

skyhawk
10-13-2012, 08:41 PM
No question he is one of the BEST steeler MVPs of all time.

That said, he has played in only ONE 16 game season in his entire career.. He is hurt too much and his body is failing him now. He is on his way out.

stopplayn
10-13-2012, 08:54 PM
This is what Happens when people LISTEN to the masses and dont actually do the research or know what they are talking about. Polamalu has played in 16 games FIVE times in his 10 year career (half his career). Also, has a 13 a 14 and 11 game season in 07. So that is 8 out of 10 season playing MOST of the year. Do you see what happens when you actually do the research or know your stuff vs listening to someone else and being a follower? Of course no disrespect meant.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/4474/troy-polamalu

stopplayn
10-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Just look at the highlights. WHAT other Steeler has impacted games like this man has? I cannot think of one.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-13-2012, 11:20 PM
You're right that Troy has been one of the most valuable players on the team over the past few years, probably the defensive MVP.

However, he hasn't played up to his own standard this season (I'm talking about when he's been in). Whether it's because he was hurt, or because his skills are eroding, I don't know, but it's clear we can no longer afford to be so dependent upon one player.

skyhawk
10-14-2012, 12:30 AM
This is what Happens when people LISTEN to the masses and dont actually do the research or know what they are talking about. Polamalu has played in 16 games FIVE times in his 10 year career (half his career). Also, has a 13 a 14 and 11 game season in 07. So that is 8 out of 10 season playing MOST of the year. Do you see what happens when you actually do the research or know your stuff vs listening to someone else and being a follower? Of course no disrespect meant.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/4474/troy-polamalu

Wow. Aren't you smart.

I hadn't listened to anyone. But I stand corrected. The website I saw that had listed the games played in the regular season in Troy's career must have been wrong.

skyhawk
10-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Since you know all, maybe you can tell me where I can find the video of Troy's sideways tackle in the 2005 AFC championship against the Broncos? It's not in that video clip on youtube and I haven't been able to find it. That was awesome.

stopplayn
10-14-2012, 01:37 AM
You're right that Troy has been one of the most valuable players on the team over the past few years, probably the defensive MVP.

However, he hasn't played up to his own standard this season (I'm talking about when he's been in). Whether it's because he was hurt, or because his skills are eroding, I don't know, but it's clear we can no longer afford to be so dependent upon one player.

What exactly has he done wrong? When was he beat deep? When has he missed a coverage. Troy Polamalu is still the best SS in the NFL. Skills eroding? Please explain

stopplayn
10-14-2012, 01:44 AM
Since you know all, maybe you can tell me where I can find the video of Troy's sideways tackle in the 2005 AFC championship against the Broncos? It's not in that video clip on youtube and I haven't been able to find it. That was awesome.

I dont know all, thats silly. The sideways tackle that you speak of I dont recall (Told you I dont know everthing)

RKSteel
10-14-2012, 10:14 AM
I dont know all, thats silly. The sideways tackle that you speak of I dont recall (Told you I dont know everthing)
I believe the game was from 2008 against the Eagles. Watch the Top 10 Steelers on NFLN and the play is shown.

stopplayn
10-15-2012, 08:37 AM
Its not the Broncos its the Eagles? Too funny lol

Jigawatts
10-15-2012, 03:47 PM
I believe the game was from 2008 against the Eagles. Watch the Top 10 Steelers on NFLN and the play is shown.

That was the backwards tackle. Troy made some kind of amazing tackle in the 2005 AFC championship where he dodged a blocker and and took out the ball carrier. That's probably the one skyhawk is referring to. I know I didn't have a DVD recorder back then, but I may have recorded it off of the NFL Network a few years later, so I'll have to check my collection.

steelz09
10-15-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm pretty sure it was against the Broncos.

lloydroid
10-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Just look at the highlights. WHAT other Steeler has impacted games like this man has? I cannot think of one.

Joe Greene, Mel Blount. The NFL had to change it's rules because Blount was so outstanding in coverage.

Oviedo
10-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Joe Greene, Mel Blount. The NFL had to change it's rules because Blount was so outstanding in coverage.

They actually changed the rules because Blount was so physically dominant he beat the crap out of the WRs at the LOS of scrimmage and they never got into their patterns. He was also very good in coverage but it was his physicality that got the rules changed.

lloydroid
10-15-2012, 05:55 PM
They actually changed the rules because Blount was so physically dominant he beat the crap out of the WRs at the LOS of scrimmage and they never got into their patterns. He was also very good in coverage but it was his physicality that got the rules changed.

Being so successful at being physical ____IS____ why he was so good in coverage. He was allowed to harass WRs all the way down the field, making it impossible for them to get open. Prior to Blount, there was no 5-yard rule on how long a CB could make contact with WR. I was well aware of this, but short-handed it to saying the rules were changed b/c of his awesome coverage, which was due to how physically dominant he was.

virgilbosetti
10-15-2012, 05:58 PM
That was the backwards tackle. Troy made some kind of amazing tackle in the 2005 AFC championship where he dodged a blocker and and took out the ball carrier. That's probably the one skyhawk is referring to. I know I didn't have a DVD recorder back then, but I may have recorded it off of the NFL Network a few years later, so I'll have to check my collection.

That troy tackle was definitely the Broncs afc championship game. Someone from this board had it replay in their sig.

stopplayn
10-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Being so successful at being physical ____IS____ why he was so good in coverage. He was allowed to harass WRs all the way down the field, making it impossible for them to get open. Prior to Blount, there was no 5-yard rule on how long a CB could make contact with WR. I was well aware of this, but short-handed it to saying the rules were changed b/c of his awesome coverage, which was due to how physically dominant he was.

Mel Blount was just bigger than the wr's. He couldnt play today. Why isnt he mentioned as a great cover corner? Because he wasnt. He was just physically bigger. Troy Polamalu can play in any era. Joe Green would be a MLB in todays game (Kirkland)

stopplayn
10-15-2012, 10:05 PM

What Game did Blount impact like Troy Polamalu did? I posted Troys highlights. Post Blount and Greenes and lets compare

NJ-STEELER
10-15-2012, 11:17 PM
wow!!!
yeah, mean joe never impacted games like troy

unreal

steelz09
10-15-2012, 11:32 PM
wow!!!
yeah, mean joe never impacted games like troy

unreal

incredible. isn't it?

SteelBucks
10-16-2012, 12:00 AM
What Game did Blount impact like Troy Polamalu did? I posted Troys highlights. Post Blount and Greenes and lets compare

You've got to be kidding me?!?!

stopplayn
10-16-2012, 02:16 AM
Funny the incredulous ones CAN'T post any highlights. Snide comments arent proof. I'm fully aware of the intimidating Mean Joe. But SORRY a DT is not as impactful as Troy Polamalu. No disrespect Joe.

papillon
10-16-2012, 06:54 AM
Funny the incredulous ones CAN'T post any highlights. Snide comments arent proof. I'm fully aware of the intimidating Mean Joe. But SORRY a DT is not as impactful as Troy Polamalu. No disrespect Joe.

From 1974 through 1989 the video coverage of the NFL wasn't anything like it is today and in particular from 1974 through the end of the 70s (which is when these players were wreaking havoc). There may have been 2 angles recorded on any given play and nowhere near the coverage that is given today. The term "shutdown corner" or "cover corner" was coined recently and was rarely, if ever, applied to cornerbacks during the 70s.

I am guessing that you were too young to have been a fan of the Steelers during their dominating run during the 70s or, if you were, you were too young to understand what you were watching. Everything you know about the 70s teams is probably passed down from your father, mother, aunts and uncles and without any firsthand experience. you mention Rod Woodson, so my guess is that this about the time you really started watching and enjoying Steeler football.

Everyone has their own perspective and bias and guys like me that have been fortunate enough to watch the Steeler teams of the 70s and the current teams at least have a basis for comparing the two eras. I will say this, it was the rare game that at least one of the following players didn't have an impact on the game: Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham and Mel Blount. Discounting anything they did and the impact they had on games because the rules were different is discounting four of the greatest players to ever play the game. This isn't my opinion, this is a widely held opinion by players, coaches and scouts that have been around football for many, many years and know the game.

Polamalu will be as highly regarded as the other players by not just the fans, but by his contemporaries the same as the legacy players are highly regarded. Who had more impact on a game? there's no way to tell, but from perspective of having watched for 40 years, I would say that Joe Greene would be first, then Lambert, then Blount, then Polamalu and finally Ham. There is no shame in being 4th and 5th on that list, you're looking at players of extraordinary talent and football acumen, so much so that they are all first ballot HOFers (Troy is just waiting for his 5 years to be up).

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
10-16-2012, 09:08 AM
From 1974 through 1989 the video coverage of the NFL wasn't anything like it is today and in particular from 1974 through the end of the 70s (which is when these players were wreaking havoc). There may have been 2 angles recorded on any given play and nowhere near the coverage that is given today. The term "shutdown corner" or "cover corner" was coined recently and was rarely, if ever, applied to cornerbacks during the 70s.

I am guessing that you were too young to have been a fan of the Steelers during their dominating run during the 70s or, if you were, you were too young to understand what you were watching. Everything you know about the 70s teams is probably passed down from your father, mother, aunts and uncles and without any firsthand experience. you mention Rod Woodson, so my guess is that this about the time you really started watching and enjoying Steeler football.

Everyone has their own perspective and bias and guys like me that have been fortunate enough to watch the Steeler teams of the 70s and the current teams at least have a basis for comparing the two eras. I will say this, it was the rare game that at least one of the following players didn't have an impact on the game: Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham and Mel Blount. Discounting anything they did and the impact they had on games because the rules were different is discounting four of the greatest players to ever play the game. This isn't my opinion, this is a widely held opinion by players, coaches and scouts that have been around football for many, many years and know the game.

Polamalu will be as highly regarded as the other players by not just the fans, but by his contemporaries the same as the legacy players are highly regarded. Who had more impact on a game? there's no way to tell, but from perspective of having watched for 40 years, I would say that Joe Greene would be first, then Lambert, then Blount, then Polamalu and finally Ham. There is no shame in being 4th and 5th on that list, you're looking at players of extraordinary talent and football acumen, so much so that they are all first ballot HOFers (Troy is just waiting for his 5 years to be up).

Pappy

:Agree
I also have been watching for 40 years, and I concur.

virgilbosetti
10-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Well said Pap. Well said.

Slapstick
10-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Personally, I think that Greene dominated the games he played in a different way, for the most part...

Greene had the ability not only to command a double team, but to beat that double team while dominating RBs and pressuring QBs...he was a force on every down, every game...

Polamalu seems to come up with amazing, athletic plays at critical moments...he's not right on the ball, close enough to lay hands on the QB every play like Greene was, but offenses account for Troy on every play as well...

stopplayn
10-16-2012, 12:12 PM

Pappy

You are wrong. I am 46 and saw my Steelers at their best. What you described is an excuse. If you havent noticed from my posts, I'm not into excuses. Jack Lambert had a SHORT Career, was undersized with the heart of a champion. NO WAY he impacted games more than Polamalu. He was oft hurt (how do I know this? Because I was there). Jack Ham was FAR BETTER. He was more versatile than Lambert. Lambert gets more credit because of his "LOOK". See the below footage of Jack Tatum. You mean I can find footage of one of Greene, Lamberts etc contemporaries but according to YOU, there wasnt enough film back then or whatever you said. I think what you mean is "I couldnt find anything as equally impactful as what you posted". Hence making my point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEgQARSzaI0

Oviedo
10-16-2012, 01:24 PM
:Agree
I also have been watching for 40 years, and I concur.

Same amount of time and double concur. If you did not see how the Steelers totally dominated teams in the seventies you have no idea what defense is. Even our best defennse over the past 20 years couldn't hold their jocks.

stopplayn
10-16-2012, 01:54 PM
That defense was amazing. My point is that Troy Polamalu would start on that defense. He would make Donnie Shell a backup. Who would Jack Lambert start for on our Defense? He is the same size as Ryan Clark. Joe Green at 275 would be ineffective in todays game.

ikestops85
10-16-2012, 04:45 PM
That defense was amazing. My point is that Troy Polamalu would start on that defense. He would make Donnie Shell a backup. Who would Jack Lambert start for on our Defense? He is the same size as Ryan Clark. Joe Green at 275 would be ineffective in todays game.

Now I think you have switched the bar. If we are comparing players from different eras I think you might have somewhat of a point. But if you are asking who had more of an effect on the game you don't have much of a point. Mel Blount took away one receiver ... half of the field ... just like Primetime yet you don't think that mattered. Joe Green reinvented how defensive tackles played and they had to come up with a new blocking scheme just for him. He was the first one who lined up on an angle facing the center which made it extremely hard for the guard to try and block him. He would jailbreak right between the center and guard and be all over the back or QB yet you don't think that mattered.

I'm not saying Troy isn't great because he has certainly caused nightmares for many a offensive coordinator but Blount and Green did the same ... and you might think Jack Ham couldn't play linebacker on this team but I'll bet you he could play Strong Safety and give Troy a run for his money. Ham was the best of the best in my book.

GO STEELERS!!

stopplayn
10-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Mel Blount did nothing like Prime Time. Mel Blount took advantage of rules that benefitted him. He wasnt regarded as the best cover corner, Willie Brown was. When they mention best cover corners, Mel Blount is never mentioned. In fact Blount is not even the best cover Corner for the STEELERS. He trails Woodson and Carnell Lake (SS,CB). How impactful can you be when you're not even the best at your position in your own organization? Polamalu is the best at his position ALL TIME (A case could be made for Ronnie Lott). Sure Blount was effective but once they changed the rules he was exposed.

Never said that Blount and Green werent great for the Steelers because they certainly were AND yes, they were impactful. My contention is that they just arent as impactful as Polamalu has been. I never said anything about Ham. I stated he was better than Lambert due to his versatility. No way could he play SS. He was way too slow. Battle Polalamu? Hyperbole lol

NJ-STEELER
10-16-2012, 06:02 PM
thats the same stupid arguement i see with hockey. saying players are so much faster today, wayne and mario wouldnt be as good.

but why do you punish them for being above and beyond everyone else in their era. they used the same equipment, same training techniques of their peers.

with anything, there's been an advancement of athletes being bigger and stronger due to a large part of the resources they have today

stopplayn
10-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Say what you want but I contend that Polamalu would be a beast in their eras yet they couldnt play in his. Lastly, no Steeler has had a bigger impact than Troy Polamalu has in games. Its not even close.

NJ-STEELER
10-16-2012, 08:04 PM
i'm sure troy could have got burnt just as bad in SB 9,10,13 as he was in XL, 43, and 45

stopplayn
10-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Too Bad his peers dont feel the same as you lol

NJ-STEELER
10-16-2012, 08:21 PM
his peers dont feel that jeremy stevens beat him for a TD? hmmm, thinkthere's a video or even a youtube on that

or that fitz split him and clark for the go agead TD in SB 43? pretty sure there's a youtube on that one

or how jennings Td came in the seam of the middle of the field with troy arriving a split second too late. yep, i've seen the youtube on that one

oh yeah, how did the peers of mean joe, jack, and mel feel abou them in their playing days

stopplayn
10-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Uh. We play Zone. Just because Troy was in the area doesnt mean he was beat. Fitz split him and Clark so that means that POLALMALU was beat? Course it does lol. That was a Cover 2. Again a zone. Jennings scored on again a Cover 2 (ZONE) .

Funny you cant produce any highlight of similar impact to make your claim. All you're left to do is TRY to disrespect a great Steeler JUST because I LIKE HIM. Im not that important, dont let me influence you. (wsttqg)

hawaiiansteel
10-18-2012, 02:10 AM
Torn calf muscle keeps Polamalu on sidelines

By Alan Robinson
Published: Wednesday, October 17, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=DD4eY uj0outKP2yGuXCJh8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYsjqo95q_aeif5 Rsmgj2K3wWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Troy Polamalu won’t play Sunday in Cincinnati. He probably won’t play next week or the week after that, not with a torn calf muscle that has turned his right leg a hideous shade of purple and red.

Troy Polamalu won’t play Sunday in Cincinnati. He probably won’t play next week or the week after that, not with a torn calf muscle that has turned his right leg a hideous shade of purple and red.

But the reason he’s hurting isn’t just because of an injury that usually takes up to six weeks to heal. It’s because the Steelers (2-3) need him badly after losing each of their first three road games, and he won’t be out there Sunday night in Cincinnati to help a struggling defense.

“That’s why they (NFL teams) pay the more talented players big money, to keep them on field,” Polamalu said Wednesday. “Obviously, you want your starters and your more experienced players out there.”

The best-case scenario for Polamalu’s return, according to teammates, is the second half of the season. He wishes he could return last week.

“Sometimes I wonder if it’s just us,” Polamalu said, referring to the Steelers’ current abundance of injuries that includes their top two running backs and two starting offensive linemen. “It seems like we deal with it pretty seriously every year. I’m aware of Baltimore’s situation (with Lardarius Webb and Ray Lewis out), but it seems like we face those situations year in and year out.”

Polamalu included. The Bengals game will be the fourth he’s missed this season and the 17th he’s sat out over the last four seasons. It’s frustrating to him, especially because he started every game at age 30 last season and made the All-Pro team.

Polamalu was hurt during the fourth quarter of the season-opening Denver game. He sat out two games and a bye week only to get hurt not long into the first quarter of the Eagles game Oct. 7.

A strained calf occurs when a muscle is forcibly strained beyond its limits, causing it to tear. Strains are graded at three levels, with the most severe requiring the most recovery time.

“Calf strains are in the muscle bellies, so they tend to heal on their own and take time,” said Dr. David Geier, an orthopedic surgeon and the director of sports medicine at the Medical University of South Carolina. “If you try to go back too soon, a sudden explosive (move) can stretch muscle fibers, and you start back at square one. Calf strains are a tough injury because everything you do in sports involves pushing off.”

Polamalu is certain he didn’t come back too soon against the Eagles.

“I felt really good,” he said. “I felt as good as I have in a while.”

For now, Polamalu said, he is combating the nagging injury “with just the normal stuff — treatment, massage, stretching, strengthening, and all the different techniques.” But rest is most needed.

Geier said there isn’t much that can be done to speed up the healing process.

A sprained left knee in 2009 and a strained right Achilles late in the 2010 may have indirectly contributed to his current injury.

“The body always compensates and it compensates from the ground up,” Polamalu said. “If the left toe hurts, it will compensate maybe to the right ankle or calf to the left knee to the right hip, all the way up your body. … That is basic sports physiology.”

This is basic Steelers-ology: They are a much, much better team when Polamalu plays.

And he is certain he will again, he just isn’t sure when. He is not worried this injury might be season-ending or career-threatening.

“Not at all,” he said.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2792211-85/polamalu-calf-season-injury-muscle-week-steelers-won-game-isn#ixzz29cWYWE6Y

BradshawsHairdresser
10-18-2012, 09:00 AM
If he can't come back from this injury until after game 8, it may well (in a sense) be a season-ending injury...for the team.

Again, I say...we can no longer afford to be so dependent upon one player.

feltdizz
10-18-2012, 09:21 AM
Troy is a beast... but if he played in the 70's he would be on the sideline hurt and his career would already be over.

Captain Lemming
10-18-2012, 07:35 PM
You are wrong. I am 46 and saw my Steelers at their best. What you described is an excuse. If you havent noticed from my posts, I'm not into excuses. Jack Lambert had a SHORT Career, was undersized with the heart of a champion. NO WAY he impacted games more than Polamalu. He was oft hurt (how do I know this? Because I was there). Jack Ham was FAR BETTER. He was more versatile than Lambert. Lambert gets more credit because of his "LOOK". See the below footage of Jack Tatum. You mean I can find footage of one of Greene, Lamberts etc contemporaries but according to YOU, there wasnt enough film back then or whatever you said. I think what you mean is "I couldnt find anything as equally impactful as what you posted". Hence making my point.

I am 48 and was very young during J Greenes best seasons. I bet you dont remember them. You talk about Shell? If the Greene you remember is the one that played along Shell as a starter he was already past his prime. Shell was a backup to begin his career. You want video you got video.

Top 10 Steelers "of all time" number one.....Joe Greene:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/09000d5d81d2bbb6/Top-Ten-Steelers-of-All-Time-Joe-Greene

Career highlights:

• 1972 Defensive Player of the Year (AP, NE, PW)
• 1974 Defensive Player of the Year (AP, NE, PW)
• 1969 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year (AP, PW)
• NFL 75th Anniversary Team
• Super Bowl Silver Anniversary Team
• 1970s All-Decade Team
• All-Time NFL Team (selected in 2000)

Note the EARLY 70s were his best seasons. How old were you?

Do you remember this:

He had career-high 11 sacks in 1972 when Pittsburgh reached the playoffs for the first time ever. In a must-win game against Houston, Greene recorded five sacks and a fumble recovery. All anybody remembers is the immaculate reception that year. If not for MJG we dont even make the playoffs that year.

Sorry I dont have video of that game. It was kinda rare. That is why video is a ridiculous argument to make.

Nevertheless, please tell me what game of any current Steeler can compare to THAT kind of dominance

skyhawk
10-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Hahaha. They didn't have Sunday ticket back then. So unless you went all 16 games, including the away games, back when Steeler fans actually DID travel well and didn't already live in away cities, no one knows the players as well as we do now.

I started watching back in 1978, and aside from the rare game on TV or Monday night game (in Southern Indiana), I got my info from the newspaper and the evening news (didn't have sportscenter). And we all didn't start watching every game until Sunday ticket came out at the bars in 1992.

DBR96A
10-18-2012, 08:24 PM
If stopplayn is 46 years old, then I'm a rich man.

NJ-STEELER
10-18-2012, 09:44 PM
I
He had career-high 11 sacks in 1972 when Pittsburgh reached the playoffs for the first time ever. In a must-win game against Houston, Greene recorded five sacks and a fumble recovery. All anybody remembers is the immaculate reception that year. If not for MJG we dont even make the playoffs that year.
e

so your saying he had 6 sacks in the other 10 games......OVERRATED

LOL (SARCASM OFF)

gotta love a newbie trying to Dis one of the best DLs ever to play the game. a 2 time Defensive palyer of the year

papillon
10-19-2012, 12:43 AM

Oh, okay, you were 8 years old in 1974 and that makes you 14 or 15 in 1980 when their run ended which makes my point exactly, you don't remember the teams and the players whether you were there in person or not. Which puts you at 20 or 21 when Woodson was drafted and is the reason he is your frame of reference. When Joe Greene was drafted you were 4 years old. The media coverage was vastly different, there weren't any cable outlets covering football around the clock, instant web uploads to youtube, twitter, etc, etc, there was CBS, NBC and ABC, that's it.

Jack Ham was not "far better" than Lambert your 10 year old eyes deceived you as you watched all those games as a youth.

I'm not sure what excuse I made and for whom. Greene, Lambert, Ham and Blount do not need excuses their long HOF careers do all the talking that is needed. The brightest football minds of the past 45 years are all pretty much in agreement on those four football players and their impact on any game in which they played. I'm not sure what you consider a "short" career:

Jack Lambert - 11 years, 9 pro bowls and 6 all pro seasons
Joe Greene - 13 years, 10 pro bowls and 5 all pro seasons
Jack Ham - 12 years, 8 pro bowls and 6 all pro seasons
Mel Blount - 14 years, 5 pro bowls and 2 all pro seasons
Troy Polamalu - 10 years, 7 pro bowls and 4 all pro seasons (and, this is why Polamalu will be considered one of the all time greats along with the others)

Regardless, I'm not going to debate the impact these 5 players have now or had in the past on football games. But, I do think you are misremembering a lot of football from the early 70s.

Pappy

papillon
10-19-2012, 12:46 AM

And, if those guys were playing in today's game they would have been in the weight room to get bigger and stronger to be able to compete in today's game. The goal posts continue to move, we're comparing impact on the game during their respective eras, not getting into our DeLorean and bringing Lambert into 2012 as a 24 year old middle linebacker or taking Polamalu back in time to 1976.

Pappy