PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall critical of Pittsburgh fans in Tennessee

TD386Steel
10-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Dont know if this has been posted yet or not

Steelers fans filled about one-third of LP Field in Tennessee, but that didn’t prevent running back Rashard Mendenhall from posting a Twitter message Friday complaining about fair-weather fans.
“Seriously, if you’re going to talk trash about your team and everyone on it, don’t call yourself a fan,” he tweeted. “A fan is a supporter ...”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2768192-85/steelers-mundy-shaw-fans-season-titans-block-field-hit-punt#ixzz298MpsvGm
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=d-D-nM8emr4ALpacwqm_6l&u=triblive) | triblive on Facebook (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=d-D-nM8emr4ALpacwqm_6l&u=triblive)

Ghost
10-12-2012, 09:11 PM
What a load of nonsense. I should be spporting terrible individual play (too numerous to list), terrible team play - this D flat out blows, and I should also care more than some of the guys on the field - 'cause that's what it feels like. They just lost to 2 on the worst teams in the NFL. You know what that means - the Steelers are on that "worst teams in the NFL" list as well. A fan doesn't have to be a blind supporter of sh*tty football.

Snatch98
10-12-2012, 09:41 PM
A what a load of nonsense. I should be spporting terrible individual play (too numerous to list), terrible team play - this D flat out blows, and I should also care more than some of the guys on the field - 'cause that's what it feels like. They just lost to 2 on the worst teamd in the NFL. You know what that means - the Steelers are on that "worst teams in teh NFL" list as well. A fan doesn't have to be a blind supporter of sh*tty football.

I don't think you should be heckling your team on the road or in the stadium. Sure you shouldn't stand for crap play but I don't think the Steelers stand for it either. I just think it's happening and without blowing it all up or sprinkling magic dust on the injuries of the many the steelers are going to have some tough sledding this year. I don't disagree with Mendenhall. They've put out a high level product for a long, long time. I think they're entitled to some tough sledding.

squidkid
10-12-2012, 09:52 PM
STFU mendy. the last thing you did notable was fumble away the superbowl.

Snatch98
10-12-2012, 09:58 PM
STFU mendy. the last thing you did notable was fumble away the superbowl.

I didn't realize that fell squarely on Mendenhall. It was a telegraphed play, it was poorly blocked as a direct result and he was leveled by Matthews. I'd wager that every tailback in the nfl puts the ball on the ground in the same scenario. Mendenhall doesn't get the credit he deserves on this message board or within the fan base. He looked terrific last week. He was banged up this week.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-12-2012, 10:04 PM
It's hard to imagine exactly when a good time to tell your boss to STFU is. Probably not when you are calling in sick and your department just laid an egg. Mendy's injured (so we had to depend on our 3rd or 4th string RB to get the ball closer for the last FG attempt. "Where'sssss MENDY?!!"), the Steelers just blew a big game, and he's telling us off???

We buy the tix, and pay for his gravy ticket. Maybe I want to boo, maybe I don't. Either way - I do believe he ought to STFU, put his head in the playbook, and practice running better.

That's what employees who like to keep their jobs do. Not twitter off the boss.

Snatch98
10-12-2012, 10:15 PM
It's hard to imagine exactly when a good time to tell your boss to STFU is. Probably not when you are calling in sick and your department just laid an egg. Mendy's injured (so we had to depend on our 3rd or 4th string RB to get the ball closer for the last FG attempt. "Where'sssss MENDY?!!"), the Steelers just blew a big game, and he's telling us off???

We buy the tix, and pay for his gravy ticket. Maybe I want to boo, maybe I don't. Either way - I do believe he ought to STFU, put his head in the playbook, and practice running better.

That's what employees who like to keep their jobs do. Not twitter off the boss.

Umm Mendenhall is a big part of the reason we won last week. He got hurt this week. I don't think he needs to be overly concerned with "getting in the playbook" but instead concern himself along with the rest of the team with getting healthy. I swear after a loss a good percentage of this message board resides on a different planet.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Umm Mendenhall is a big part of the reason we won last week. He got hurt this week. I don't think he needs to be overly concerned with "getting in the playbook" but instead concern himself along with the rest of the team with getting healthy. I swear after a loss a good percentage of this message board resides on a different planet.

I'm not saying he's not the reason we won last week, that's great (glad his fumble was out of bounds, too). I'm saying as a player there is no upside in calling out the fans. You know that commercial about the Ticket Oak? Well that's just fantasy, but the real life reality is that "Fan = Owner's Money Oak". Not a good idea to piss them off. Best option - STFU (not you Snatch98, Mendy).

Ghost
10-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Minnesota beat the titans 30 -7. Houston 38 -14. San Diego 38 -10. New England 34-13. The Titans STINK and just beat the Steelers. What the Steelers did against them is a total disgrace. I'm sorry Mendy's feeling are hurt but how about taking that energy and turning it into the clubhouse to light a fire under a team that is playing atrocious. Don't worry about the fans - your own house is a mess.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Minnesota beat the titans 30 -7. Houston 38 -14. San Diego 38 -10. New England 34-13. The Titans STINK and just beat the Steelers. What the Steelers did against them is a total disgrace. I'm sorry Mendy's feeling are hurt but how about taking that energy and turning it into the clubhouse to light a fire under a team that is playing atrocious. Don't worry about the fans - your own house is a mess.

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

Starlifter
10-12-2012, 11:29 PM
This isn't his first stupid tweet.

pittpete
10-13-2012, 12:02 AM
We beat the lowly Jets and the turnover plagued eagles,just barely.
We have to face it, we're just not that good anymore.

hawaiiansteel
10-13-2012, 02:52 AM
Rashard Mendenhall tells fans they need to be supportive

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 12, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/mendenhall.jpg?w=250

Pittsburgh running back Rashard Mendenhall wasn’t happy with the way some Steelers fans reacted to Thursday night’s loss to the Titans.

Mendenhall took to Twitter after the game and said that fans who are critical of their team shouldn’t be able to call themselves fans, because fans are supposed to be supportive. Mendenhall didn’t specify what he was reacting to, but he apparently wasn’t pleased that some fans had ripped him on Twitter after gaining just six yards on six carries before leaving the game with an Achilles injury.

Rashard Mendenhall

@R_Mendenhall
Seriously, if you're gonna talk trash about your team and everyone on it, don't call yourself a fan. A fan is a supporter...
11 Oct 12

The good news is that Mendenhall’s injury isn’t expected to be serious. The bad news is that Mendenhall isn’t going to ingratiate himself to fans by telling them they have to be supportive. The Steelers have great fans, thousands of whom made the trip to Tennessee on Thursday night to see their team. And when fans travel to see their team and the team doesn’t play well, complaining about it afterward is just what fans do.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/12/rashard-mendenhall-tells-fans-they-need-to-be-supportive/

TD386Steel
10-13-2012, 03:26 AM
Rashard Mendenhall tells fans they need to be supportive

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 12, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/mendenhall.jpg?w=250

Pittsburgh running back Rashard Mendenhall wasn’t happy with the way some Steelers fans reacted to Thursday night’s loss to the Titans.

Mendenhall took to Twitter after the game and said that fans who are critical of their team shouldn’t be able to call themselves fans, because fans are supposed to be supportive. Mendenhall didn’t specify what he was reacting to, but he apparently wasn’t pleased that some fans had ripped him on Twitter after gaining just six yards on six carries before leaving the game with an Achilles injury.

Rashard Mendenhall

@R_Mendenhall
Seriously, if you're gonna talk trash about your team and everyone on it, don't call yourself a fan. A fan is a supporter...
11 Oct 12

The good news is that Mendenhall’s injury isn’t expected to be serious. The bad news is that Mendenhall isn’t going to ingratiate himself to fans by telling them they have to be supportive. The Steelers have great fans, thousands of whom made the trip to Tennessee on Thursday night to see their team. And when fans travel to see their team and the team doesn’t play well, complaining about it afterward is just what fans do.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/12/rashard-mendenhall-tells-fans-they-need-to-be-supportive/

Nice article. In my opinion Mendenhall, is way out of line, the fans should be upset. We should not have lost that game. Not what I want to hear after a loss. Say things like I take responiblity, appologize, well work harder things of that nature.

flippy
10-13-2012, 05:16 AM
Steeler fans should stop going to road games for the rest of this year. Heck why not boycott home games too.

BURGH86STEEL
10-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Who knows what moronic fans said to Mendenhall for him to respond the way he did??? I can only imagine what was said based on the negative and illogical ways fans react on message boards after every loss. I can't believe some of the reactions myself. As an example see: "Steelers fans should stop going to road games for the rest of this year. Heck why not boycott home games too." This team gave this fan base a lot of great moments. It's like fans only remember and focus on the negative moments and forget the great moments. For fans to turn on players and ridicule them when things are not going so well makes for a questionable/bad fan base. This teams been in every game they loss. A play here or there and the outcome of games would be different.

I think fans that live with such a high level of negative feelings and reactions after losses, bad seasons, ect. need to reevaluate what sports means in their lives.

pfelix73
10-13-2012, 09:48 AM

If you want to go down that road, we just beat the Eagles and the Eagles beat the Ravens and the SB Champs........Ya'll need to relax and take a chill pill......

pfelix73
10-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Furthermore, I HATE this Twitter crap....I'd like to see them (NFL) set a policy where the players can't use that or FB during the regular and post season.......This social media crap has to be reigned in- in my opinion...I'll use this website, but thats it...Twitter and FB suks.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-13-2012, 09:51 AM
If you want to go down that road, we just beat the Eagles and the Eagles beat the Ravens and the SB Champs........Ya'll need to relax and take a chill pill......
Sure hope this isn't what Tomlin is telling the team...

BURGH86STEEL
10-13-2012, 10:06 AM

Shhhhhhhhhhh some people haven't caught onto what the NFL has become. Fan would realize that close games and upsets happen every week if they paid attention.

pfelix73
10-13-2012, 10:09 AM
I would hope that Tomlin would quote some of the things the great 1st Emperor Chuck Noll used to tell his teams....I won't put the one quote I'm thinking of up here on the board, but if you listen to Tunch, every now and then he'll mention one that would be perfect right about now...

NorthCoast
10-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Who knows what moronic fans said to Mendenhall for him to respond the way he did??? I can only imagine what was said based on the negative and illogical ways fans react on message boards after every loss. I can't believe some of the reactions myself. As an example see: "Steelers fans should stop going to road games for the rest of this year. Heck why not boycott home games too." This team gave this fan base a lot of great moments. It's like fans only remember and focus on the negative moments and forget the great moments. For fans to turn on players and ridicule them when things are not going so well makes for a questionable/bad fan base. This teams been in every game they loss. A play here or there and the outcome of games would be different.

I think fans that live with such a high level of negative feelings and reactions after losses, bad seasons, ect. need to reevaluate what sports means in their lives.

A voice of reason in a sea of hysteria....

We may have to come to grips with the fact that this might be a down season for the Steelers. It happens.

I agree, the losses aren't fun but I look at it as an opportunity to see some young talent get on the field to see what we have. Listened to Willie McGinest on Total Access about the loss. He commented that "fans don't get it. With so many injuries on a team and so many teams have nearly equal talent, it is "hard to win consistently or be competitive in the NFL without your best players on the field. The Steelers need to work on getting healthy, and that will go a long way to restoring their competitiveness". Bridge-jumping is not necessary, relax and enjoy the games or find another productive thing to do on Sundays.

pfelix73
10-13-2012, 10:14 AM
lol- true... and to think we almost won the game. What would people be saying if we did? Probalby that we're off to the SB...lol... I'd like to see where we are come the 1st of December..lol..

Any of you old enough to remember the year we lost lost to Cincy like 54-0 and Cleve. 45-0 back to back weeks in Sept. and came damn close to going to the SB by the time January rolled around? That was the best coaching I've ever seen by a coaching staff....never forget it...

NorthCoast
10-13-2012, 10:24 AM
lol- true... and to think we almost won the game. What would people be saying if we did? Probalby that we're off to the SB...lol... I'd like to see where we are come the 1st of December..lol..

Any of you old enough to remember the year we lost lost to Cincy like 54-0 and Cleve. 45-0 back to back weeks in Sept. and came damn close to going to the SB by the time January rolled around? That was the best coaching I've ever seen by a coaching staff....never forget it...

I remember that season pfelix. Many were saying it was the end of an era for the Steelers but the turn-around was awe-inspiring. I will add that there is a reason why the players coming off the bench to replace injured starters are not the starters, it just might be that they are not as good as the starters!?!? And Tomlin can talk that "the standard is the standard" but we all know that is coachspeak to motivate the subs.

BURGH86STEEL
10-13-2012, 10:31 AM
A voice of reason in a sea of hysteria....

We may have to come to grips with the fact that this might be a down season for the Steelers. It happens.

I agree, the losses aren't fun but I look at it as an opportunity to see some young talent get on the field to see what we have. Listened to Willie McGinest on Total Access about the loss. He commented that "fans don't get it. With so many injuries on a team and so many teams have nearly equal talent, it is "hard to win consistently or be competitive in the NFL without your best players on the field. The Steelers need to work on getting healthy, and that will go a long way to restoring their competitiveness". Bridge-jumping is not necessary, relax and enjoy the games or find another productive thing to do on Sundays.

It might be a down year for the Steelers or it may not be. There are still 11 games left. Until they are eliminated from playoff contention the season isn't over. The Steelers can beat any of the remaining teams on their schedule. No team on the schedule is unbeatable. Even the teams with the best records in the league had close games. The one difference is those teams found ways to win close games where no one on the Steelers made the necessary plays to help the team win the games they loss. The Steelers need to find a way to win games on offense, defense, or special teams.

DukieBoy
10-13-2012, 10:48 AM

Good post, Burgh. Good food for thought, I think.

NorthCoast
10-13-2012, 10:49 AM
This was a team one injury away from having to play a defensive lineman on the offensive line. This was a team down to their 3rd string RB. This was a team without their best player on defense. And yet with 1 min. they were in a position to win or tie the game. I know not everyone agrees, but I happen to think the coach err'd at the end by trying the field goal. Ben gives you a 50/50 chance at a first down, I think a 54 yd FG by Suisham is less than that. One first down and the Steelers likely win the game with a FG at the buzzer. Tomlin is not always the best in-game decisionmaker.

DukieBoy
10-13-2012, 10:52 AM
This was a team one injury away from having to play a defensive lineman on the offensive line. This was a team down to their 3rd string RB. This was a team without their best player on defense. And yet with 1 min. they were in a position to win or tie the game. I know not everyone agrees, but I happen to think the coach err'd at the end by trying the field goal. Ben gives you a 50/50 chance at a first down, I think a 54 yd FG by Suisham is less than that. One first down and the Steelers likely win the game with a FG at the buzzer. Tomlin is not always the best in-game decisionmaker.

I wanted to see the ball in Ben's hands on that 4th down, too. My second choice would have been the punt and get to OT with the ball in Ben's hands then.

pfelix73
10-14-2012, 10:12 PM
I 110% agree..... In that order... Ben with the ball, punt, FG attempt... Also, I never would've ran that 2nd down play. Wasn't that a Barron Batch stuff job for no gain? Think it was... That was a poor play call if you ask me.....

OK- onward to the Cincy game!

Go Steelers!!

Notleadpoisoned
10-15-2012, 07:38 AM
The product on the field was obviously substandard and the folks paying for that product just voiced their displeasure. Not much different than getting some cold, stale pizza delivered to your house and you call the pizza shoppe back to chew out the manager and employees. The NFL is a business and the fans are its' customers. I don't have an issue with booing really.

Ghost
10-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Cook: Mendenhall's lack of common sense can't cloud team's poor play:

Mendenhall will say he wasn't calling out all Steelers fans, just those who were critical of him, the team or both after the Tennessee game. That doesn't matter. A professional athlete never wins when he takes on the fans.

Steelers fans are more supportive of their team than any fan base in sports. Many paid big money to get to and into LP Field in Nashville. The place was nearly half-filled with Terrible Towels.

There was very little to like about the Steelers effort against the Titans. The team lost to an inferior opponent, which is becoming a sad trend this season. Fans at the game and those watching on television had every right to be disgusted. They also have every right to be critical if they feel it's warranted. That hardly makes them bad, unsupportive fans. It just makes 'em caring, passionate fans.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/rashard-mendenhalls-lack-of-common-sense-cant-cloud-teams-poor-play-657568/#ixzz29NOcGMIC

steelz09
10-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Mendenhall is a moron.

Some players should be banned from having media and social media at their disposal.

I wonder if Mendenhall watched thousands of KC fans cheer when Cassel was knocked out cold 2 weeks ago. If he wants lack of support, maybe Steelers fans can cheer if Mendy tears his ACL again.

Shoe
10-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Furthermore, I HATE this Twitter crap....I'd like to see them (NFL) set a policy where the players can't use that or FB during the regular and post season.......This social media crap has to be reigned in- in my opinion...I'll use this website, but thats it...Twitter and FB suks.

Don't blame twitter. Blame the idiot(s) behind the tweet. That's like blaming the drug, for ruining your life. YOU (not "you", just figurative) decided to do drugs... don't blame the drugs.

As for Mendenhall, STFU you wide-apart-eyed ignoramus. The fans pay their money... in effect pay your enormous salary, so they can say whatever they damn well want. Unless he'd like to give back money to those booing fans.