PDA

View Full Version : How about Worilds?

BigRob
10-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Don't know if he can play the run, but looking like he can at least rush the passer some. 3 sacks on the year in 5 games coming off injury.

Oviedo
10-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Worilds has never been as bad as his detractors make him out to be. His only fault is that he isn't a white LB from Penn State.

pittpete
10-12-2012, 02:16 PM
SITUATIONAL PASSRUSHER, not a starter in the NFL.
Black,white or green changes nothing

phillyesq
10-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Worilds has never been as bad as his detractors make him out to be. His only fault is that he isn't a white LB from Penn State.

That is a straw man argument.

I generally like Worilds, but his fault is not that he isn't a white LB from PSU - his issue is that he cannot stay healthy.

Oviedo
10-12-2012, 02:55 PM
That is a straw man argument.

I generally like Worilds, but his fault is not that he isn't a white LB from PSU - his issue is that he cannot stay healthy.

Plus he has a Defensive Player of the Year in front of him on one side and a Pro Bowl player on the other side. But then again it's not like Woodley and Harrison have been pillars of health either.

Dee Dub
10-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Plus he has a Defensive Player of the Year in front of him on one side and a Pro Bowl player on the other side. But then again it's not like Woodley and Harrison have been pillars of health either.

Not next year. James Harrison saves the team $5.1 Million if cut before 1 June and $6.5 after. At 34, having injury issues, plus the Steelers being close to $30 million over the cap next year, he is as good as gone.

Next year?

Worilds, Te'o, Timmons, and Woodley

BigRob
10-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Not next year. James Harrison saves the team $5.1 Million if cut before 1 June and $6.5 after. At 34, having injury issues, plus the Steelers being close to $30 million over the cap next year, he is as good as gone.

Next year?

People don't realize that Worilds has had only one true offseason in 3 years. He was hurt one offseason, lockout one, let's see how he develops this season and over the next offseason. If he can stay healthy he has the physical tools to succeed. The question is whether you move Woodley over to Harrison's spot or Worilds.

Oviedo
10-12-2012, 03:38 PM

Next year?

It won't be that way since Woodley will be playing DE in our new 4-3 once LeBeau is pushed out the door. ;)Te'o would be a great add.

Who knows, maybe Woodley is DE on one side of the 4-3 and Worilds on the other side!!!!!!

steelblood
10-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Don't know if he can play the run, but looking like he can at least rush the passer some. 3 sacks on the year in 5 games coming off injury.

I don't have a problem with Worilds. He is ok. But, his total of 3 sacks in 3 games is very misleading. 2 of Worilds sacks (in earlier games) came when he was schemed open on blitzes. He was unblocked on both. I don't think I could give him much credit for those (there were very easy plays). Last night he pressured the QB a couple of times (got a sack when he cleaned up after Keisel missed the QB), but generally he was just as ineffective at pass rushing as anyone else. We got no pressure 95 % of the time when we rushed with 4 men. That is pathetic. Changes need to be made. McClendon must play more for Hampton on first and second and for Hood on 3rd down. As long as Woodley is out, Adrian Robinson should be activated and given a shot on 3rd downs. He certainly couldn't do worse. Heyward should play more. We need younger hungry pass rushers who are capable of getting past offensive linemen with quickness and athleticism.

RuthlessBurgher
10-12-2012, 04:30 PM

It's interesting that a white LB from Penn State was probably the man most responsible for the loss last night (Tim Shaw's blocked punt changed the whole complexion of that game).

SidSmythe
10-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Stats don't tell the whole story.
IF I recall right, Worilds got 2 sacks from being unblocked and 1 sack where the QB was under pressure and he got a mop up sack.

A pass rusher needs to be disruptive. I hardly notice him out there vs the run or just getting pressure on the QB.

SDSteel1
10-12-2012, 04:56 PM
He was more dominant than Harrison was last night.

DBR96A
10-12-2012, 05:00 PM
I don't have a problem with Worilds. He is ok. But, his total of 3 sacks in 3 games is very misleading. 2 of Worilds sacks (in earlier games) came when he was schemed open on blitzes. He was unblocked on both. I don't think I could give him much credit for those (there were very easy plays).

I've seen plenty of unblocked defenders whiff on QBs before, so you have to credit him for actually bringing the QBs down once he gets to them.

BigRob
10-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Profootball focus says the following: Worilds was the only one bringing pressure last night.

Outside linebackers Jason Worlids and James Harrison could only combine to record four pressures, with three of them (1 Sk, 1 Ht, 1 Hu) coming from the third-year backup. .

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/12/refo-steelers-titans-week-6/

Not saying he's a stud. Just saying it's not time to give up on him yet.

Steelerphile
10-13-2012, 05:44 AM
I knew there would be people who would make an issue about how he supposedly gets sacks unblocked, like he now should not get credit for them. That is a talent in itself. The good ones find the opportunity to come in unblocked and the not-so-good ones dont. Did you see Carter getting sacks unblocked? No Worilds reads those situations well. He sees that opening, delays just enough and then has a good burst so that he can get to the QB. That is a an attribute to be praised not to discredit him. Other LBs could find those if they were aware enough, but they don't.

Keyplay1
10-13-2012, 08:05 AM
SITUATIONAL PASSRUSHER, not a starter in the NFL.
Black,white or green changes nothing

There does seem to be a glimmer of hope for this one now at least. Although he does seem to prefer to avoid contact but at least there seems to be something there.

btw: Methinks the Steelers [TS] could use a couple of those green players. Anyone know of any that can play LCB.

Slapstick
10-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Worilds has played two good games in the last seven days...

There are problems on this team, but he is not one of them...

hawaiiansteel
10-13-2012, 02:25 PM

this is one of the more ignorant comments you've ever made...

DBR96A
10-13-2012, 02:29 PM
I knew there would be people who would make an issue about how he supposedly gets sacks unblocked, like he now should not get credit for them. That is a talent in itself. The good ones find the opportunity to come in unblocked and the not-so-good ones dont. Did you see Carter getting sacks unblocked? No Worilds reads those situations well. He sees that opening, delays just enough and then has a good burst so that he can get to the QB. That is a an attribute to be praised not to discredit him. Other LBs could find those if they were aware enough, but they don't.

Those people probably read Stillers.com and want to compare one LB named Jason to another, if you know what I mean.

SteelCrazy
10-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Stats don't tell the whole story.
IF I recall right, Worilds got 2 sacks from being unblocked and 1 sack where the QB was under pressure and he got a mop up sack.

A pass rusher needs to be disruptive. I hardly notice him out there vs the run or just getting pressure on the QB.

:Clap That's exactly right!

Shoe
10-13-2012, 06:12 PM
I don't have a problem with Worilds. He is ok. But, his total of 3 sacks in 3 games is very misleading. 2 of Worilds sacks (in earlier games) came when he was schemed open on blitzes. He was unblocked on both.

Exactly. I obviously want him to succeed, but nothing I've seen from watching him play makes me very excited. Adjepong needs to show he can a) stay healthy and b) be a difference maker. He has not shown that yet.

steelblood
10-14-2012, 04:25 AM

Worilds sacks are a legitimate stat. However, he was not beating a man to the QB on two of them. It was not his technique nor necessarily a "talent" but the play design (and corresponding offensive mis-step) that freed him up. This is not to say that he didn't do his job. He did, which is good. However, in general, Worilds is not providing regular pressure through his individual play. When Worilds (or any linemen or linebacker for that matter) starts pressuring the QB regularly without the aid of a stunt or a blitz, I'll be ecstatic about that player. Right now, our pass rush is pathetic. Without blitzes, we get no pressure on most plays. That really exposes our CBs.

Steelerphile
10-14-2012, 05:06 AM
Worilds sacks are a legitimate stat. However, he was not beating a man to the QB on two of them. It was not his technique nor necessarily a "talent" but the play design (and corresponding offensive mis-step) that freed him up. This is not to say that he didn't do his job. He did, which is good. However, in general, Worilds is not providing regular pressure through his individual play. When Worilds (or any linemen or linebacker for that matter) starts pressuring the QB regularly without the aid of a stunt or a blitz, I'll be ecstatic about that player. Right now, our pass rush is pathetic. Without blitzes, we get no pressure on most plays. That really exposes our CBs.

I think I will disagree with you. Why would it not be his "technique", That is your value judgement. Whether it was a play design or not is also speculative on your part, since you were not in on the call of the play. Recognition of an opportunity to get to the QB, is a "talent". It is more a talent from the mental side, a sense of how to set up that opportunity and how best to exploit it. All of sports is mostly mental. The best athletes use guile and their understanding of the game to get the most of a play. Sports is not all physical just beating someone across from the physical side. So I think Worilds shows a good grasp of how to exploit and opening, which I call a "talent" even if you don't. He gets to the QB and when he gets there, he doesn't miss or let the QB slip away and puts him down. That is something I think also is a talent.

I think Worilds probably still is being affected by the wrist injury. He didn't play the preseason. He very well might not be able to lift weights as much as he should. I don't think he is playing outstandingly. The defense overall isn't. But I think he is being as effective as any of their outside LBs have been, that includes Woodley, Harrison and especially Carter.

Steel Life
10-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Giving Adrian Robinson some PT...now that's an idea.

steelblood
10-15-2012, 02:11 PM
I think I will disagree with you. Why would it not be his "technique", That is your value judgement. Whether it was a play design or not is also speculative on your part, since you were not in on the call of the play. Recognition of an opportunity to get to the QB, is a "talent". It is more a talent from the mental side, a sense of how to set up that opportunity and how best to exploit it. All of sports is mostly mental. The best athletes use guile and their understanding of the game to get the most of a play. Sports is not all physical just beating someone across from the physical side. So I think Worilds shows a good grasp of how to exploit and opening, which I call a "talent" even if you don't. He gets to the QB and when he gets there, he doesn't miss or let the QB slip away and puts him down. That is something I think also is a talent.

I think Worilds probably still is being affected by the wrist injury. He didn't play the preseason. He very well might not be able to lift weights as much as he should. I don't think he is playing outstandingly. The defense overall isn't. But I think he is being as effective as any of their outside LBs have been, that includes Woodley, Harrison and especially Carter.

Running free to the QB (unblocked) requires little to no pass rushing "technique." Claiming that his first two sacks were a good indicator of his talent is silly.

Again, I'm not saying Worilds doesn't posses talent or potential, only that two of his sacks were scheme related, not necessarily an indication of skill.

Oviedo
10-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Running free to the QB (unblocked) requires little to no pass rushing "technique." Claiming that his first two sacks were a good indicator of his talent is silly.

Again, I'm not saying Worilds doesn't posses talent or potential, only that two of his sacks were scheme related, not necessarily an indication of skill.

If it is so easy why haven't we seen Woodley or Harrison do it? Are they never unblocked? Part of being unblocked is being in a position and reacting quick enough to make it impossible to block you. I think Worilds does that better than either Woodley or Harrison both of who seem to think the only rush technique is a bullrush through the OT.

BigRob
10-15-2012, 02:33 PM

You are also ignoring that Worilds was the only OLB putting pressure on the QB Thursday. Harrison was a non-factor. Let's see what kind of year Worilds has before we throw dirt on him all of the way.