PDA

View Full Version : I think it was a bad decision to go for the field goal...

Dee Dub
10-11-2012, 11:56 PM
It was out of Suisham's range and it would have been better to punt and pin the Titans deep. Risking missing that field goal meant giving the Titans a short field and needing only one big pass play to get in field goal range. Bad call there Tomlin. Bad call.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-12-2012, 12:00 AM
I agree.

Punting would have been too.

ANYTHING that had our defense on the field would have been a bad decision.

So, by process of exclusion, I think the only thing to do would have been to go for it. At least there would have been a CHANCE we could have kept the defense off the field.

Steelhere10
10-12-2012, 12:01 AM
The defensive call on 3rd down all night was bad calls, Kurt Warner just said he don't understand why would you take your best pass rusher and put him on a tight end in a crucial situation.

Starlifter
10-12-2012, 12:01 AM
Even if he had made it, the titans still had 40 seconds to score. It would have made no difference in the outcome. With our inability to make a stop, the only way we win is a last second victory or up by two scores with less than a minute to go.

pfelix73
10-12-2012, 12:03 AM
Agreed. Tomlin blew it... Miss it, they get the ball on the 45- guess what? Stupid coaching there...inexcusable.

Dee Dub
10-12-2012, 12:04 AM
I agree.

Punting would have been too.

ANYTHING that had our defense on the field would have been a bad decision.

So, by process of exclusion, I think the only thing to do would have been to go for it. At least there would have been a CHANCE we could have kept the defense off the field.

I would have been ok for going for it too but like the field attempt if unsuccessful you give the Titans a short field. I would have preferred the Titans having to 80-90 yards than only 56.

feltdizz
10-12-2012, 12:06 AM
The D would fail regardless where they spotted the ball. Not sure why our 3rd down D looks like a Chinese fire drill.

Flasteel
10-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Bad decision doesn't even begin to describe the depths of the stupidity of that call. How can you even put that defense on the field 20 yards from FG range? You had to know there was a strong chance Sushi would not hit from outside his range. YOU HAD TO KNOW!!!!!!!

Steelhere10
10-12-2012, 12:08 AM
I also agree bad decision to kick, But the game was over when the passive Lebeau came back.

Dee Dub
10-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Bad decision doesn't even begin to describe the depths of the stupidity of that call. How can you even put that defense on the field 20 yards from FG range? You had to know there was a strong chance Sushi would not hit from outside his range. YOU HAD TO KNOW!!!!!!!

Flasteel, I agree with 100%. Dude has never made a kick over 52 yards in all his career. If you make them go 90 yards you at least have a chance the time runs out on them.

Steel Life
10-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Don't agree...Suisham had plenty of distance on the previous FG & they obviously felt he was good from that distance to feel good about it. It was just a little short...it happens.

Iron Shiek
10-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Flasteel, I agree with 100%. Dude has never made a kick over 52 yards in all his career. If you make them go 90 yards you at least have a chance the time runs out on them.
One would think. But they probably would've demaryius Thomas'd us.

Dee Dub
10-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Don't agree...Suisham had plenty of distance on the previous FG & they obviously felt he was good from that distance to feel good about it. It was just a little short...it happens.

So the fact that he has never ever made one from that distance doesn't mean anything? The fact that if you miss you probably will lose the game?

SteelBucks
10-12-2012, 12:18 AM
I've had it with some of Tomlin's decisions. A 54 yd FG is crazy. I had to laugh when he called a TO before the kick. He's the only one I know who would ice his own kicker.

DukieBoy
10-12-2012, 12:22 AM
I'd have gone for a 1st down before trying a 54 yard FG. I did not like the running play for a loss of 1 yard on 2nd down.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-12-2012, 12:26 AM
You know, thinking about it and with all respect ... if we have to discuss so passionately how to NOT LOSE THE GAME WHEN WE HAVE THE BALL ON THEIR END OF THE FIELD, the point is moot - we are arguing from a position of suckiness, and the real problem lies elsewhere other than what call to make in that specific down and distance situation.

LordVile
10-12-2012, 12:28 AM
not even mad at SUSHI.. as others have said, it was out of his range.. bad call by Tomlin, indeed.. they shoulda went for it or punted. as others have mentioned..

Steel Life
10-12-2012, 12:29 AM
So the fact that he has never ever made one from that distance doesn't mean anything? The fact that if you miss you probably will lose the game?
Tomlin just said what I thought in the post-game presser...added that the time-out was due to playclock & wanted to settle everyone down & not rush it.

I understand the concern but considering how well he hit the previous FG you've got to have some faith in the player he'll hit it.

SDSteel1
10-12-2012, 12:30 AM
We should have punted, but maybe Suisham should have kicked it harder.:) We also probaly should have run more effective plays on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down before the kick. I'm just really tired of every game...not just ours, coming down to the the final drive with the team who has the ball last winning. This is now the NBA. And for trying to make the game safer we seem to be getting alot more people hurt. Does that make any sense??

Steel Life
10-12-2012, 12:31 AM
I'd have gone for a 1st down before trying a 54 yard FG. I did not like the running play for a loss of 1 yard on 2nd down.
Another unfortunate play...as the commentators pointed out, the play was there to the right but Batch missed it & took it inside for the loss.

DukieBoy
10-12-2012, 12:36 AM
Correct. And anyway, why not go with your stars on such an important play ... Heath or Brown, not your 3rd RB.

BURGH86STEEL
10-12-2012, 12:39 AM
i can only assume that he made fg kicks from that distance in pregame warm ups. if that was the case i understand why the coaches had confidence in him. plus hes kicked the ball well all year.

DukieBoy
10-12-2012, 12:41 AM
Tomlin said his decision was based on the 52 yard make earlier in the game, and he took responsibility for the decision and the result.

stopplayn
10-12-2012, 01:07 AM
You cant defend that DUMB decision. Tomlin is an idiot. ROONEY RULE.......

Steel Life
10-12-2012, 01:26 AM
Didn't take long for the peanut gallery to chime in...

Sword
10-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Why would the Steelers who are not high scoring team not have a kicker that can easily make from mid 50's..why?
I thought that was mandatory in the NFL now!!!

Sword
10-12-2012, 08:01 AM
I agree! If it's out of his range and are defense cannot stop...why would you not go for it.

Dee Dub
10-12-2012, 10:46 AM
The thing that bothers me is lately the Steelers seem to be playing for game winning field goals instead of game winning touchdowns. And I think this is sending a bad message to the offense.

pittpete
10-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Tough call
Personally I was hoping they punted and pinned them down inside the 20
Titans still had 3 Timeouts left at this point and the defense couldnt stop a 1 legged dog

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Tomlin earlier in the year had already signaled that he has no faith in the defense (didn't he go for it on 4th deep on OUR side of the field?). So the only supportable decision last night, assuming he hadn't thought the defense had improved since earlier in the year (and why would he do that?) would be the one that minimized the chances that the defense would be on the field.

So that would have been to go for it, or to have Sweezum try. Bad Vegas odds either way, but at least higher than anything that depended on the defense. I said during the chat I would have gone for it, but in retrospect I think the kick was the right call (I assume Sweez had done something to convince Tomlin he could make it) - with not a great chance of either the kick or going for it being successful, why not choose the one that at least has a chance of getting points on the board.

Long answer short - we can't win games, even if the offense is the best in the history of the universe, if we don't trust our defense to stop a 1-legged dog.

hawaiiansteel
10-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Tomlin's reason for attempting 54-yarder

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin decided on allowing Shaun Suisham to try a what-would-have-been a career long 54-yard field goal.

Suisham missed, the Titans got good field position and Rob Bironas kicked the game-winner a minute later.

This is what Tomlin had to say about the decision:

Was there debate?

"There was but he banged the other one before that pretty clean so I decided to give him a shot at it. I will take responsibility for the miss."

Was there a concern during the timeout that you might've iced you own kicker?

"Not at all. It was a clock stoppage. Shaun (Suisham) is a mentally tough guy. I didnít want the play clock to run down. We wanted to have a good, clean discussion about our options. He banged the previous one pretty good. We decided to give him a shot at it."

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/0a02db36-6370-4beb-a3ed-f104b8bb727d/?source=twitter

Ghost
10-12-2012, 09:28 PM
I think it's even a sadder bit of commentary that the Steelers needed a 54 yard FG at the end to beat the Tennessee a$$-clowns, playing with their second string QB (vet or not - he is not their starter and would not have played except for injury). This team looked bad last night, real bad. This was just the crap icing on the garbage cupcake.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-12-2012, 10:09 PM
I think it's even a sadder bit of commentary that the Steelers needed a 54 yard FG at the end to beat the Tennessee a$$-clowns, playing with their second string QB (vet or not - he is not their starter and would not have played except for injury). This team looked bad last night, real bad. This was just the crap icing on the garbage cupcake.

That ^^ . The problem wasn't the kick, or the decision whether to kick or not. It was that we were in this position at all.

eniparadoxgma
10-13-2012, 08:35 AM

I thought we were finally out of that ballpark. Thanks for bringing the collective intelligence of the board down a few notches.

BURGH86STEEL
10-13-2012, 09:47 AM
That ^^ . The problem wasn't the kick, or the decision whether to kick or not. It was that we were in this position at all.

It's the NFL and those types of games can happen any week. It doesn't matter if it's the team with the best record in the league vs a team with the worst record in the league.

NorthCoast
10-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Another unfortunate play...as the commentators pointed out, the play was there to the right but Batch missed it & took it inside for the loss.

Another case of inconsistency in play. There have been holes for the RBs, they just are not seeing them every time.