PDA

View Full Version : Titans DC suggests his players should injure opponents

hawaiiansteel
10-11-2012, 03:37 AM
Titans DC uses some disturbing words to motivate his players

Posted by Darin Gantt on October 5, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/350x-319-e1349449654909.jpg?w=203

Jerry Gray used to work for Gregg Williams.

And apparently he learned a thing or two about a turn of phrase from his old boss.

The Titans defensive coordinator used some frankly disturbing language in reference to his team’s inability to stop passes across the middle of the field.

Gray told Jim Wyatt of the Tennesseean he wanted his guys to play without regards to possible fines.

“If you are worrying about that, you are not going to go out and try and blow the guy up,” Gray said. “Great football players have to put that out of their mind. You have to say, ‘This is my territory between the numbers, and if you throw the football you better bring the Gator truck.’

“And that’s how you have to play. You can’t play timid in the NFL.”

The Gator is the green tractor/cart teams use to haul off injured players.

If that’s not quite “Kill the head and the body will die,” it’s at least running down the same road, and the kind of thing coaches should be smarter than to say out loud in the wake of the Saints bounty investigation, for which Williams was suspended.

There’s a way to read it that comes up well short of “Jerry Gray is telling his guys to hurt opponents,” but he opened the door when referencing what amounts to a “cart-off.”

The Titans currently rank last in the league in points allowed, next to last in yards. They’ve also been outscored 41-13 in the first quarters.

“Have we blown anybody up? … Maybe we are playing too timid,” Gray said. “We can’t give up touchdowns as soon as we get off the bus. We didn’t do that last year. You can’t give up touchdowns in the first quarter and expect to get sacks and expect to get turnovers. . . .

“I don’t coach a defense like this, and I don’t think they intend to play a defense like that. But when it happens, what do you do to fix it? And that is our job. We have 12 weeks to fix it.”

Gray should also expect to spend part of that time on the phone with someone in New York, who will explain to him that you can’t even approach the suggestion of soliciting injuries at a time when the league’s preaching player safety.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/05/titans-dc-uses-some-disturbing-words-to-motivate-his-players/

Slapstick
10-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Stay classy, Nashville!

Djfan
10-11-2012, 08:50 AM
The NFL is run by the girl scouts.

Oviedo
10-11-2012, 09:16 AM
The NFL is run by the girl scouts.

The NFL is run by smart lawyers who know that the players profiting from the NFL today will be the same ones suing them tomorrow. Anyone who can even be remotely considered in a leadership or management positions will be eligible to be brought in to testify about what they said and what they meant.

You want the NFL to change their approach then have the players sign liability waivers. This is not an NFL management initiated problem this is a former player initiated problem.

Djfan
10-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Smart lawyers can kiss my thin mints.

Oviedo
10-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Smart lawyers can kiss my thin mints.

You should add washed up players looking for a big payday after they blew the money the earned to your list of those who need to "pucker up." They are the real source of the problem. The "new rules" put in place by the league are a symptom of that problem.

Djfan
10-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Tort reform in this nation is LONG overdue.

flippy
10-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Too bad Hines isn't still around. This sound like some fuel that might motivate him to put a Ten defender on the Gator.

Unfortunately, Ben's the only tough guy left on O and given his position, there's not much he can do in the pocket. Other than put 45 up on them :)

Mister Pittsburgh
10-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Players know damn well the risks they are taking putting the pads on and going out on that field, that is why they are paid so handsomely. To then come back after their careers are over and say they want paid cause their body's suck...is ludacris. Make them sign waivers to step out on the field.

Avg. NFL players salary = millions
Avg. Arena league players salary = thousands

flippy
10-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Players know damn well the risks they are taking putting the pads on and going out on that field, that is why they are paid so handsomely. To then come back after their careers are over and say they want paid cause their body's suck...is ludacris. Make them sign waivers to step out on the field.

Avg. NFL players salary = millions
Avg. Arena league players salary = thousands

In 2000, the average salary was ~$900k, the median was ~$400k.

In 1990, the average was ~$300k, couldn't find the media but I'd assume ~$100k.

The average NFL career is 3.5 years.

So the typical guy made $350k 20 years ago in the NFL.

10 years ago - $1.4M.

Take out taxes, agent fees, living amongst celebs and their lifestyles, etc. and it's easy to see why there wouldn't be anything left.

And to think these guys know what they're doing, remember this is their first job. They're young 20 year olds. They probably know very little. And unfortunately they probably come from a background that hasn't prepared them for being successful. There's loads of rags to riches stories. Some do ok, others not so much.

And if these beatings are really causing brain injuries and these guys are self medicating with drugs and alcohol, it's not likely they're in a position to make decisions. Mental illness could be running rampant in the NFL all things considered.

It seems like we project ourselves onto this guys and what we'd do in their situation without understanding their situation. The NFL uses these guys. They take advantage of young men that don't have an alternative. It works out very well for a small few. But for the majority, it's a horrible system.

And the cycle will only change if we fans change. As long as we demand the product it will be produced. The NFL really isn't all that different than prostitution or other seedy industries.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-11-2012, 12:34 PM
This is not a story without the Saints.

Nowhere does he mention extra pay as motivation for putting out opponents.

Nowhere does he mention illegal hits or cheap shots.

The idea that you tackle a guy so hard that he is forced to come out of the game is nothing new in football.

This should warrant nothing, but will probably get a reprimand but no more.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-11-2012, 12:35 PM
...The NFL uses these guys. They take advantage of young men that don't have an alternative. It works out very well for a small few. But for the majority, it's a horrible system.

And the cycle will only change if we fans change. As long as we demand the product it will be produced. The NFL really isn't all that different than prostitution or other seedy industries.

I find myself agreeing with much of this, but there is another side to things that seems relevant as well. If these guys truly "don't have an alternative", their lifetime $$ potential would be much lower without the few years in the NFL they do have. What I mean is ... if they are going to be stocking boxes at Walmart when they are "retired" after 3 years, they probably would have been doing that straight out of high school if it weren't for the NFL.

So is it really an "abuse by the NFL", or do both parties get something out of it?

Shawn
10-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Tort reform in this nation is LONG overdue.

Preach it brother DJ!

flippy
10-11-2012, 12:52 PM
So is it really an "abuse by the NFL", or do both parties get something out of it?

Sure, both sides get something. I'm all for a free market and letting people make decisions for themselves. I'd even be for legalizing prostitution, marijuana, other drugs, etc.

Even though everyone gets something still doesn't make it right. It's like prohibition and alcohol. Should the gov't have ever tried to control alcohol? No. However, alcohol still causes a lot of problems for a lot of people - from DUIs, to prisons, to alcoholism, etc.

Mr Miyagi could teach us all a lot about balance. I can see both sides of the argument here.

Oviedo
10-11-2012, 12:53 PM

10 years ago - $1.4M.

Take out taxes, agent fees, living amongst celebs and their lifestyles, etc. and it's easy to see why there wouldn't be anything left.

And to think these guys know what they're doing, remember this is their first job. They're young 20 year olds. They probably know very little. And unfortunately they probably come from a background that hasn't prepared them for being successful. There's loads of rags to riches stories. Some do ok, others not so much.

And if these beatings are really causing brain injuries and these guys are self medicating with drugs and alcohol, it's not likely they're in a position to make decisions. Mental illness could be running rampant in the NFL all things considered.

It seems like we project ourselves onto this guys and what we'd do in their situation without understanding their situation. The NFL uses these guys. They take advantage of young men that don't have an alternative. It works out very well for a small few. But for the majority, it's a horrible system.

Where does personal responsibility come in. No one forces any of these players to play in the NFL. Each one of them got the opportunity a free education and a university that my daughter would never have the chance to get. If they did not take advantage of that "gift" then shame on them..again personal responsibility and choice. Playing in the NFL is an option, but it is an option that many take because of the potential pay offs..again personal responsibility and choice. It is no different than someone being a deep sea diver, logger, coal miner or soldier. All those jobs have risks far greater than the NFL but you don't see them suing former employers.

The notion that anyone played in the NFL and didn't realize they could get hurt after playing football for 10 years before they even got to the NFL is beyond ridiculous. No one is forced to show up at an NFL training camp so portraying these guys as "victims" of a system is ridiculous.

RuthlessBurgher
10-11-2012, 01:40 PM

10 years ago - $1.4M.

Did you see the ESPN "30 for 30" show that came out about a week or so ago titled "Broke"? A lot of ESPN programming is crap these days, but the 30 for 30 films are typically of high quality. And it is Steeler relevant, because one of the guys that they profile is Leon Searcy.

feltdizz
10-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Where does personal responsibility come in. No one forces any of these players to play in the NFL. Each one of them got the opportunity a free education and a university that my daughter would never have the chance to get. If they did not take advantage of that "gift" then shame on them..again personal responsibility and choice. Playing in the NFL is an option, but it is an option that many take because of the potential pay offs..again personal responsibility and choice. It is no different than someone being a deep sea diver, logger, coal miner or soldier. All those jobs have risks far greater than the NFL but you don't see them suing former employers.

The notion that anyone played in the NFL and didn't realize they could get hurt after playing football for 10 years before they even got to the NFL is beyond ridiculous. No one is forced to show up at an NFL training camp so portraying these guys as "victims" of a system is ridiculous.

These players do something 99% of the student body can't do... if your daughter finds something she can do really well... math, science, basketball, softball, etc. She can get a free education too.

..and employees sue former employers all the time for medical reasons. If a deep sea diver was given a faulty tank because the employer was too cheap to get the good ones... they sue. If a mine collapses and they find out the owner didn't follow regulations... they sue.

I don't think it's about the injuries as much as it's about the NFL teams encouraging players to play through the pain or doctors signing off/shooting up players who weren't ready to play.

feltdizz
10-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Did you see the ESPN "30 for 30" show that came out about a week or so ago titled "Broke"? A lot of ESPN programming is crap these days, but the 30 for 30 films are typically of high quality. And it is Steeler relevant, because one of the guys that they profile is Leon Searcy.

Great show...

unless you were born with money you won't be responsible with it at 21.

flippy
10-11-2012, 03:05 PM

Didn't see it. But there was one on the other night about Olympic runners, Carl Lewis, Ben Johnson, steroids, etc. and it was fascinating. I like those whenever I see them, but I never have any idea when they're on.

flippy
10-11-2012, 03:17 PM

It's pretty unlikely these kids are getting great guidance heading into college. They're 17, 18, 19 when they're going to school. I can remember the things I was concerned about back then and personal responsibility wasn't at the top of the list.

Plus they're going to school to play football. That takes up a lot of time. Especially if they're striving for that to be their full time job when they leave college. Education is probably an after though. And guys on a scholarship are being told how great they are by everyone. And their positive reinforcement is all about football.

We've seen the SAT scores of a lot of these players. I bet it's hard to focus on education if you have problems with basic reading and writing. I've seen smart kids get easily lost in school. If school isn't a focus or you didn't win the DNA lottery for brains, you're probably going to struggle. And then lose interest. And then get lost. Especially in these big college programs with huge numbers of students.

It works out for some, but others could probably use some guidance and positive role models in their lives. They probably need some people that care about them as people and don't objectify them as football players.

We're all victims or slaves in this world to money, power, greed. We all start out innocent. And someone eventually takes advantage of our innocence and takes it away. We're lucky if we have someone to protect it. Not so much if we don't. We've all gotta make the best of it and do the best we can.

But it looks from the outside like big dollars are involved and many of the players that make it in the league come from modest backgrounds. They're effectively kids when they start down this path.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-11-2012, 04:34 PM
It's pretty unlikely these kids are getting great guidance heading into college. They're 17, 18, 19 when they're going to school. I can remember the things I was concerned about back then and personal responsibility wasn't at the top of the list.

Plus they're going to school to play football. That takes up a lot of time. Especially if they're striving for that to be their full time job when they leave college. Education is probably an after though. And guys on a scholarship are being told how great they are by everyone. And their positive reinforcement is all about football.

We've seen the SAT scores of a lot of these players. I bet it's hard to focus on education if you have problems with basic reading and writing. I've seen smart kids get easily lost in school. If school isn't a focus or you didn't win the DNA lottery for brains, you're probably going to struggle. And then lose interest. And then get lost. Especially in these big college programs with huge numbers of students.

It works out for some, but others could probably use some guidance and positive role models in their lives. They probably need some people that care about them as people and don't objectify them as football players.

We're all victims or slaves in this world to money, power, greed. We all start out innocent. And someone eventually takes advantage of our innocence and takes it away. We're lucky if we have someone to protect it. Not so much if we don't. We've all gotta make the best of it and do the best we can.

But it looks from the outside like big dollars are involved and many of the players that make it in the league come from modest backgrounds. They're effectively kids when they start down this path.

It's the American way. Think coal miners, migrant workers, any one of a number of professions, I mean jobs, where kids grow up with few other options and so get hired at great short term and long term personal risk for the benefit of stockholders . "Would you have it any other way?" (he asked at least somewhat rhetorically)?

(Dang, how is that sentence supposed to be punctuated????)

Slapstick
10-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Personal responsibility is a big part of it...

That is a very difficult thing to instill in teenagers and young adults these days...they seem to want to learn the hard way...

I teach at a high school that has produced three NFL players over the last 10-11 years...those players come back and tell the students here to stay in school, make the most of opportunities, etc....and it even sticks for a few days before all of those lessons go out the window...

It is the nature of teenagers and young adults...and difficult to overcome...