PDA

View Full Version : Will Ta'amu ever get it?

BigRob
10-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Just a question. Does anyone think Ta'amu will become a dominant or productive tackle with the Steelers? A guy that physically gifted should not get dominated like he did in the pre-season. I was just thinking about this as Hampton will not be back next year, no way.

Slapstick
10-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Just a question. Does anyone think Ta'amu will become a dominant or productive tackle with the Steelers? A guy that physically gifted should not get dominated like he did in the pre-season. I was just thinking about this as Hampton will not be back next year, no way.

The Steelers decided that it was worth a 4th round pick to allow Ta'amu to learn for a year...he is going from being a one gap defender to being a two gap defender...it can take time...

I do think he'll get it...

Say what you want about the coaches and the time it takes to learn the system, but Mitchell does a great job more often than not...

Oviedo
10-10-2012, 02:44 PM
The Steelers decided that it was worth a 4th round pick to allow Ta'amu to learn for a year...he is going from being a one gap defender to being a two gap defender...it can take time...

I do think he'll get it...

Say what you want about the coaches and the time it takes to learn the system, but Mitchell does a great job more often than not...

By all means let's force him to do something diffeent than he has all through a college career where he played good enough to get drafted into the NFL. Force the player into the system...again. Oh, and take two to three years to see if it works.

Slapstick
10-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Usually, it does...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-10-2012, 02:56 PM
I think that it is a little early to try to answer that question.

lloydroid
10-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Watching McClendon dominate makes me think that T will be much better after his rookie year. McClendon was an undrafted free agent from Troy, if I recall. And he is playing lights out right now. I don't even know why fat Casey is on the field much, these days.

squidkid
10-10-2012, 03:04 PM
i think it will take him a year or two to learn to just stand there and get no push..............like casey is now

Dee Dub
10-10-2012, 03:04 PM
I think he will. Sometimes all it takes is for a player to get a chance.

Oviedo
10-10-2012, 03:55 PM
i think it will take him a year or two to learn to just stand there and get no push..............like casey is now

Isn't that what we train our DL to do, occupy blockers????? Why go after the QB?

Jigawatts
10-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Isn't that what we train our DL to do, occupy blockers????? Why go after the QB?

It would be nice to be mobile enough to go tackle a ball carrier every now and then.

hawaiiansteel
10-10-2012, 04:52 PM

you gotta give Ta'amu some time to learn that he's not supposed to you know, go after the QB. when he sacked the QB in training camp Ta'amu was scolded and quickly corrected that he's not supposed to do such a thing.

DukieBoy
10-10-2012, 07:48 PM
He'll be a monster in our 4 - 3 D. :tt2

phillyesq
10-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Of course, there is no empirical evidence suggesting that DTs develop faster in a 4-3. In fact, the only person on the Steelers D right now who started as a rookie? Casey Hampton. And Hampton is still here, as is McClendon, who many clamor for.

Rookies, especially 4th round picks, rarely start on teams that made the playoffs in the previous year or have playoff aspirations.

Slapstick
10-11-2012, 06:14 AM
And Casey didn't start until the 6th game...

RuthlessBurgher
10-11-2012, 01:17 PM
I can see a timeshare for McLendon and Ta'Amu in upcoming years were they are 1 and 1a (Steve on passing downs and Alameda on running downs) unlike in the past where Casey was the clear #1 and Hokie was the clear #2.

BigRob
10-11-2012, 01:42 PM
I am hoping his career trajectory is similar to that of Red Bryant with Seattle. He didn't play much at all his first two years in the league after being drafted in the 4th round. He developed into one of the best run stuffers in the league.

Oviedo
10-11-2012, 02:02 PM
I am hoping his career trajectory is similar to that of Red Bryant with Seattle. He didn't play much at all his first two years in the league after being drafted in the 4th round. He developed into one of the best run stuffers in the league.

I know we have an obsession with run stuffing but is that really what will beat us in the future. Wouldn't it be far more importnat to be the best pass defense and lead the leads in sacks versus having run stuffers. How many teams in this league right know are winning games with the run?

phillyesq
10-11-2012, 02:25 PM
I know we have an obsession with run stuffing but is that really what will beat us in the future. Wouldn't it be far more importnat to be the best pass defense and lead the leads in sacks versus having run stuffers. How many teams in this league right know are winning games with the run?

You mean teams like the 5-0 Texans and 4-1 49ers? Look at the standings. With the exception of the AZ Cardinals (and maybe the Falcons), every first place team right now has a strong running game.

The death of the running game has been greatly exaggerated. Being able to run and stop the run still matters, especially in the AFC North.

RuthlessBurgher
10-11-2012, 03:25 PM

We led the league in pass defense JUST LAST YEAR (not to mention total defense and scoring defense also) and you've been suggesting we blow that up and start over for years now.

BigRob
10-11-2012, 04:17 PM

Stuffing the run on early downs leads to 3rd and longs. 3rd and longs lead to sacks, turnovers, and poor third down conversion percentages. This in turn keeps the defense fresh. So yes, this is still very important.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-11-2012, 04:46 PM
It would be nice to be mobile enough to go tackle a ball carrier every now and then.

Ouch.

Casey's feelings are hurt now.

Slapstick
10-11-2012, 04:54 PM
3rd and longs lead to sacks, turnovers, and poor third down conversion percentages.

...unless your name is "Ben Roethlisberger"...then, 3rd and longs lead to conversions and big plays, baby!!!

Oviedo
10-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Stuffing the run on early downs leads to 3rd and longs. 3rd and longs lead to sacks, turnovers, and poor third down conversion percentages. This in turn keeps the defense fresh. So yes, this is still very important.

Except teams are passing as much if not more than running on early downs.

Oviedo
10-11-2012, 05:04 PM
We led the league in pass defense JUST LAST YEAR (not to mention total defense and scoring defense also) and you've been suggesting we blow that up and start over for years now.

Yes, I have been wanting to "blow it up." But think about why I say it. The model we use is unsustainable. It is too hard and too risky to replenish the talent base we need to maintain a high level of performance given that, unlike 10 years ago, so many other teams are dipping into the same talent pool we fished with almost exclusivity.

Then when you add on the time it takes to convert players and train them to do unique things I just don't think we can sustain the system. That is why we have a large number of defensive players over 30 years old in our front 7 and the integration of youth is not going smoothly thereby resulting in very little depth.

You avoid a number of these problems by drafting players to play the positions they have always played and that they already know. My opinion on that won't change as I'm sure yours won't.

Slapstick
10-11-2012, 05:30 PM

In 2012, almost all NFL teams are passing more than running on 1st down...

27 out of 32 teams pass 52% of the time or more on 1st down...

New England passes 50.99% of the time on 1st down...

San Fran, Washington, J'Ville and Seattle pass less than 50%...

This year, both the Steelers and the Titans pass on 1st down more than 69% of the time...

hawaiiansteel
10-11-2012, 05:57 PM
This year, both the Steelers and the Titans pass on 1st down more than 69% of the time...

ah, if only Crash were still here...:D

Slapstick
10-11-2012, 06:01 PM
ah, if only Crash were still here...:D

Yeah, those were the days...:rolleyes:

I wonder how much, if any, that will change now with Mendenhall back...

BigRob
10-11-2012, 06:36 PM

You still need a run stuffer on your line. Can't have all pass rushers, otherwise they'll just cram the ball down your throat. And it is rare to field a d-line that can stuff the run and pass rush well.

BigRob
10-11-2012, 06:37 PM
In 2012, almost all NFL teams are passing more than running on 1st down...

27 out of 32 teams pass 52% of the time or more on 1st down...

New England passes 50.99% of the time on 1st down...

San Fran, Washington, J'Ville and Seattle pass less than 50%...

What about 2nd down?

Slapstick
10-11-2012, 06:44 PM
What about 2nd down?

That's a good question...I just did a quick bit of research over at www.teamrankings.com (http://www.teamrankings.com) and found the 1st down stats...I don't pay for this stuff!!!:cool:

RuthlessBurgher
10-11-2012, 07:25 PM

Have you seen what Chris Johnson, Jonathan Dwyer, and Isaac Redman have been doing during the first month of the season? If your run game was getting you 2 or 3 yards per carry, then you'd be passing twice as much as you run too.

phillyesq
10-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Yes, I have been wanting to "blow it up." But think about why I say it. The model we use is unsustainable. It is too hard and too risky to replenish the talent base we need to maintain a high level of performance given that, unlike 10 years ago, so many other teams are dipping into the same talent pool we fished with almost exclusivity.

Then when you add on the time it takes to convert players and train them to do unique things I just don't think we can sustain the system. That is why we have a large number of defensive players over 30 years old in our front 7 and the integration of youth is not going smoothly thereby resulting in very little depth.

You avoid a number of these problems by drafting players to play the positions they have always played and that they already know. My opinion on that won't change as I'm sure yours won't.

Just once, I'd like to see this speculation supported. The 4-3 defense is expensive. DEs are paid more than 4-3 OLBs. Fact. If you recall a few years ago, Suggs was campaigning to be considered a DE for franchise tag purposes. Look at the bust rate of first round defensive lineman. It is very high. Look how many DEs or DTs don't develop for 2-3 years.

phillyesq
10-13-2012, 09:11 AM

Yeah, having a run focused offense has been terrible for the 49ers and Texans. That Ray Rice guy in the division? Not at all important to the Ravens. Seattle with that Lynch guy? They must be relying entirely on that rookie qb they have.

Even NE with Brady and company have been running a lot more this year. Manning loves to run in the red zone. Bottom line in the NFL is that you need to be able to stop the run.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Maybe Ta'amu will never get it if he never gets a chance to get on the field.

Seriously, a lot of these guys really begin to develop when they finally get to start playing. Of course, they're going to make a few mistakes as they learn...but this might be the perfect year to get them started.

Bench Casey, Keisel and Ike. More McLendon, Ta'amu, Heyward, Cortez Allen, and Brown. I'd like to see Golden worked into the rotation at safety. I only see Sylvester on STs...why not rotate him in for Foote at times? It's not like Foote is going to be here a lot longer.

NorthCoast
10-13-2012, 10:37 AM

Actually, not true. If you can occupy two blockers while going after the QB, I would bet that the Steelers would like to see you in camp. What they ask is the DL to stay in their lane while getting the push to the QB. The DL's biggest problem has already been discussed ad nauseum. They are not staying in their lanes but are getting pushed all over the field and backwards.

BigRob
10-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Guess I am beginning to get the answer to this question. What a puking tard. He is likely going to be cut.

Djfan
10-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Guess I am beginning to get the answer to this question. What a puking tard. He is likely going to be cut.

Imagine how much time he will have to study Bad Word LeBeau's play book now!