PDA

View Full Version : This upcoming draft is loaded!!

Dee Dub
10-10-2012, 01:04 PM
If the Steelers choose to go defense in round one there are a ton of freakishly athletic, dominate defensive players that are going to be available. I think this is going to be one of the best drafts for defensive football players in a long time. And as a result there is going to be major quality in rounds 2 and 3 as well.

Johnathan Hankins DT Ohio State
Star Lotulelei DT Utah
Jarvis Jones LB Georgia
Barkevious Mingo DE LSU
Bjoern Werner DE Florida State
Manti Te'o LB Notre Dame
Sam Montgmomery DE LSU
Alec Ogletree LB Georgia
Johnathan Banks CB Mississippi State
Dee Milliner CB Alabama
Jackson Jeffcoat DE Texas
Eric Reid FS LSU
Alex Okafor DE Texas
Kawann Short DT Purdue
John Jenkins DT Georgia
Xavier Rhodes CB Florida State
T.J. McDonald FS Southern California
Kenny Vaccaro FS Texas
Kevin Minter LB LSU

Shawn
10-10-2012, 01:16 PM
I like that you have Hankins listed first...guy is a game changer. I watch him collapse pockets double teamed. I think he is a junior though. If I'm right he might not come out this season.

focosteeler
10-10-2012, 01:19 PM
If we draft right our D can be set for the future. There are some game changers available early on. This might be the year we move up in the 1st to get that special player.
We could still go BPA and get some good players

Dee Dub
10-10-2012, 01:21 PM
I like that you have Hankins listed first...guy is a game changer. I watch him collapse pockets double teamed. I think he is a junior though. If I'm right he might not come out this season.

Yes Hankins is but personally for the Steelers I would prefer Star Lotulelei over him. There are a lot of juniors on this list but I gotta believe most of them will turn pro. Of these Juniors I think they are all ready for the NFL.

steelz09
10-10-2012, 01:30 PM
FS and LB and preferably form the SEC.

phillyesq
10-10-2012, 01:43 PM
I would like to see the Steelers load up on defense early this year, but I think they have to retain Wallace in order to do that. Wallace-Brown-Sanders-Cotchery is a formidable set of weapons. Brown-Sanders-Cotchery-? is much less scary.

I would like to see a dynamic player in the secondary (don't really care what position) and a dynamic linebacker added to the fold. A DE could also help.

feltdizz
10-10-2012, 02:22 PM
I would like to see this thread anchored... I love college ball but its a little early for draft talk. I'm sure we will see more draft prospects shooting up or falling off with 3 months of college ball left.

Dee Dub
10-10-2012, 02:33 PM
I would like to see this thread anchored... I love college ball but its a little early for draft talk. I'm sure we will see more draft prospects shooting up or falling off with 3 months of college ball left.

This is "Steeler Draft Talk"...and that is a topic that can be discussed year round. Sorry for putting the gun to your head and forcing you to read it. :-P

Dee Dub
10-10-2012, 02:36 PM
FS and LB and preferably form the SEC.

Eric Reid and Kevin Minter from LSU. Would love that.

Oviedo
10-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Will we be drafting for a 3-4 defense or a 4-3 defense:stirpot

That will decide a lot on what players on the list are even considered.

BigRob
10-10-2012, 02:43 PM
If the Steelers choose to go defense in round one there are a ton of freakishly athletic, dominate defensive players that are going to be available. I think this is going to be one of the best drafts for defensive football players in a long time. And as a result there is going to be major quality in rounds 2 and 3 as well.

Johnathan Hankins DT Ohio State
Star Lotulelei DT Utah
Jarvis Jones LB Georgia
Barkevious Mingo DE LSU
Bjoern Werner DE Florida State
Manti Te'o LB Notre Dame
Sam Montgmomery DE LSU
Alec Ogletree LB Georgia
Johnathan Banks CB Mississippi State
Dee Milliner CB Alabama
Jackson Jeffcoat DE Texas
Eric Reid FS LSU
Alex Okafor DE Texas
Kawann Short DT Purdue
John Jenkins DT Georgia
Xavier Rhodes CB Florida State
T.J. McDonald FS Southern California
Kenny Vaccaro FS Texas
Kevin Minter LB LSU

What about Dion Jordan, major guy missing from your list. Or Buchanon from Illinois?

Slapstick
10-10-2012, 02:45 PM
I hope Big Hank stays for his senior season at OSU...I hope that the opportunity to compete for a bowl next year is a good enough reason to stay...

Dee Dub
10-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Will we be drafting for a 3-4 defense or a 4-3 defense:stirpot

That will decide a lot on what players on the list are even considered.

Those elite DE's (Mingo, Montogomery, Jarvis Jones), that would allow for the Steelers to change to a 4-3, are top 5 picks and if not wont last past number 10. So...should just stay at 3-4 and try to get T'eo or Minter to fit next to Timmons.

Oviedo
10-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Those elite DE's (Mingo, Montogomery, Jarvis Jones), that would allow for the Steelers to change to a 4-3, are top 5 picks and if not wont last past number 10. So...should just stay at 3-4 and try to get T'eo or Minter to fit next to Timmons.

T'eo or Minter would be nice. I think this is a deep draft at ILB and Safety. We need both. Do we think Troy is back next year? Should he be?

Dee Dub
10-10-2012, 02:52 PM
What about Dion Jordan, major guy missing from your list. Or Buchanon from Illinois?

Good football players but as of right now I dont have them as first round grades. Mid-second rounders.

hawaiiansteel
10-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Good football players but as of right now I dont have them as first round grades. Mid-second rounders.

I agree with your assessment, there's a lot of time between now and the draft but as of right now neither Jordan nor Buchanan are first-rounders.

Dee Dub
10-10-2012, 03:01 PM
T'eo or Minter would be nice. I think this is a deep draft at ILB and Safety. We need both. Do we think Troy is back next year? Should he be?

It will be interesting to see what happens to Bacarri Rambo. I think he is the best pure free safety in this draft. Even ahead of Eric Reid. Problem, is he has had some off field issues. Came up dirty for smoking weed. He had 13 picks in his first 3 years. I like Tony Jefferson the little guy from Oklahoma. He can be used all over the field.

Dee Dub
10-10-2012, 03:02 PM
I agree with your assessment, there's a lot of time between now and the draft but as of right now neither Jordan nor Buchanan are first-rounders.

If this list of Juniors declare the second round is going to be loaded as well.

hawaiiansteel
10-10-2012, 03:06 PM
If this list of Juniors declare the second round is going to be loaded as well.

that would be great for us, I would love to see us draft a stud ILB and safety in the first two rounds.

focosteeler
10-10-2012, 03:20 PM
first 3 rounds....Tony Jefferson, Shayne Skov, Bacarri Rambo....Strong Safety....3-4 ILB....Free Safety....

squidkid
10-10-2012, 03:33 PM
too many high picks lately for dline, gotta be looking at fs or ilb.
is there gonna be an ilb worth the 15th-20th pick?

BigRob
10-10-2012, 03:41 PM

Your WAY WAY off about Dion Jordan. Did you have Chandler Jones as a first rounder last year? Many consider Dion Jordan to be a better version of Chandler Jones and he is getting all sorts of love right now.

feltdizz
10-10-2012, 03:50 PM
This is "Steeler Draft Talk"...and that is a topic that can be discussed year round. Sorry for putting the gun to your head and forcing you to read it. :-P

So I'm free to leave? Cool... lol

lloydroid
10-10-2012, 04:29 PM
After going with first rounders on DEs the last few years, and with McClendon and T'amu in place at NT, I really think there is no way they go DL early, if at all. We got to find a replacement for Troy Always-hurt-mu and an upgrade at CB, first and foremost, plus get ILB help. DL won't be a priority compared to those spots.

hawaiiansteel
10-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Your WAY WAY off about Dion Jordan. Did you have Chandler Jones as a first rounder last year? Many consider Dion Jordan to be a better version of Chandler Jones and he is getting all sorts of love right now.

WalterFootball.com, a very well-respected draft site has Dion Jordan going in the mid 2nd-round at #52 in their latest mock draft that was just updated yesterday:

52. San Diego Chargers: Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon

The Chargers just spent an early pick on a rush linebacker (Melvin Ingram), so why would they do that again? Well, Shaun Phillips will be a 32-year-old free agent next March, so San Diego will need a complement for Ingram.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013_2.php

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-10-2012, 05:20 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens to Bacarri Rambo. I think he is the best pure free safety in this draft. Even ahead of Eric Reid. Problem, is he has had some off field issues. Came up dirty for smoking weed. He had 13 picks in his first 3 years. I like Tony Jefferson the little guy from Oklahoma. He can be used all over the field.

Don't worry, we draft potheads now. He just has to get in his car and drive to Pittsburgh the week before the draft and tell our people that he has always wanted to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. :)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Where do you think Werner of FSU fits in the NFL? My Bro-in-law is an alum and I watched them a couple of times when he came to visit recently. I believe he is around 6' 4" and very athletic. What do you gurus think? 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE, 3-4 DE?

Dee Dub
10-10-2012, 05:26 PM
first 3 rounds....Tony Jefferson, Shayne Skov, Bacarri Rambo....Strong Safety....3-4 ILB....Free Safety....

I love all three of those players..but I dont think Tony Jefferson is a first round pick. Mid to late second rounder. Last year at this time before Skov got hurt I was advocating the Steelers getting him. ILB in a 3-4.

Dee Dub
10-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Where do you think Werner of FSU fits in the NFL? My Bro-in-law is an alum and I watched them a couple of times when he came to visit recently. I believe he is around 6' 4" and very athletic. What do you gurus think? 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE, 3-4 DE?

I think he can play both but since he's playing DE in a 4-3 I thank that would pay off a lot sooner in the NFL. If I'm not mistaken I dont think he has played a lot of football. So he is still learning.

Dee Dub
10-10-2012, 05:30 PM

I could be wrong. There is a premium put on pass rushers and he could shoot up the boards. Every draft publication I've seen has him rated mid second round. I just dont think he is in the class of those I have listed at this time.

Dee Dub
10-10-2012, 05:35 PM
too many high picks lately for dline, gotta be looking at fs or ilb.
is there gonna be an ilb worth the 15th-20th pick?

It's early but T'eo could be there mid first round. I have a feeling that because of Alec Olgetree's athleticism he is going to push T'eo for the top ILB spot. He will put up some impressive numbers in his work out. If T'eo goes 1 and and Olgetree goes 2 I think it could benefit the Steelers in that they could move back and get Kevin Minter who I feel is a better fit next to Timmons than Ogletree is.

NJ-STEELER
10-10-2012, 05:39 PM
if we get one of those guys, hopefully they'll be able to start in the defense by 2015

BigRob
10-10-2012, 06:02 PM
WalterFootball.com, a very well-respected draft site has Dion Jordan going in the mid 2nd-round at #52 in their latest mock draft that was just updated yesterday:

52. San Diego Chargers: Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon

The Chargers just spent an early pick on a rush linebacker (Melvin Ingram), so why would they do that again? Well, Shaun Phillips will be a 32-year-old free agent next March, so San Diego will need a complement for Ingram.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013_2.php

Yeah, and how many of them had Melvin Ingram going in the first round? We will see, but Dion Jordan is going to be a first round pick in this draft.

BigRob
10-10-2012, 06:03 PM
I could be wrong. There is a premium put on pass rushers and he could shoot up the boards. Every draft publication I've seen has him rated mid second round. I just dont think he is in the class of those I have listed at this time.

And all of these ratings were based on last years play. He is tearing it up this year.

hawaiiansteel
10-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Yeah, and how many of them had Melvin Ingram going in the first round? We will see, but Dion Jordan is going to be a first round pick in this draft.

I had Melvin Ingram going in the first round since he was a premier pass rusher but I'll admit that i never thought Chandler Jones was going to go in the first round.

Dee Dub
10-10-2012, 06:19 PM
I had Melvin Ingram going in the first round since he was a premier pass rusher but I'll admit that i never thought Chandler Jones was going to go in the first round.

Yeah I dont know what Rob is talking about. A lot of people had Ingram in the first round. I think he means Bruce Irvin who has actually turned out to be a solid pass rusher for Seattle. Everyone was questioning Pete Carroll for that pick but he is getting the last laugh so far.

steelblood
10-10-2012, 06:21 PM
It's early but T'eo could be there mid first round. I have a feeling that because of Alec Olgetree's athleticism he is going to push T'eo for the top ILB spot. He will put up some impressive numbers in his work out. If T'eo goes 1 and and Olgetree goes 2 I think it could benefit the Steelers in that they could move back and get Kevin Minter who I feel is a better fit next to Timmons than Ogletree is.

T'eo is a football player. IMHO, he is a better prospect than Keuchly (who went 9th I believe). If we could get that value in the first, I'd be thrilled.

Ogletree, Jones, and Rambo all looked like dog meat against S Carolina. John Jenkins was about the only defensive player playing with passion. I don't know why, but defensive players from this Georgia team scare me.

Dee Dub
10-10-2012, 06:38 PM
T'eo is a football player. IMHO, he is a better prospect than Keuchly (who went 9th I believe). If we could get that value in the first, I'd be thrilled.

Ogletree, Jones, and Rambo all looked like dog meat against S Carolina. John Jenkins was about the only defensive player playing with passion. I don't know why, but defensive players from this Georgia team scare me.

I agree about T'eo, but the difference this year from last year IMO is that there are a lot more better plays ahead of T'eo this year than there was last year ahead of Keuchly. Thus I think he may be available mid 1st round.

And I think Ogletree played well versus So. Carolina Saturday. Keep in mind that he and Rambo were playing in only their 2nd game of the year due to their suspensions. But overall the Dawgs didnt do well on defense.

hawaiiansteel
10-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Yeah I dont know what Rob is talking about. A lot of people had Ingram in the first round. I think he means Bruce Irvin who has actually turned out to be a solid pass rusher for Seattle. Everyone was questioning Pete Carroll for that pick but he is getting the last laugh so far.

yeah, 4.5 sacks after 5 games for a rookie isn't too shabby...

BigRob
10-10-2012, 07:57 PM

Naw, Ingram wasn't considered a first round lock in October Last year by a lot of people and it wasn't even considered a lock until he tore up the Senior Bowl. And there is no comparison with Dion Jordan and Bruce Irving. Just wait, you guys will be late to the bandwagon. 6-5, 250 lbs of a cat quick pass rusher.

Dee Dub
10-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Naw, Ingram wasn't considered a first round lock in October Last year by a lot of people and it wasn't even considered a lock until he tore up the Senior Bowl. And there is no comparison with Dion Jordan and Bruce Irving. Just wait, you guys will be late to the bandwagon. 6-5, 250 lbs of a cat quick pass rusher.

Dude I like Dion Jordan I just dont think right now he is a first round pick. I am on the west coast so i see a lot of Pac-12 football. I know about Dion Jordan. Oregon uses him in a hybrid role. They stand him up and move him around a lot.

BigRob
10-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Dude I like Dion Jordan I just dont think right now he is a first round pick. I am on the west coast so i see a lot of Pac-12 football. I know about Dion Jordan. Oregon uses him in a hybrid role. They stand him up and move him around a lot.

That's cool, just think your undervaluing him a lot. He will end up going ahead of a lot of those players you listed in this thread.

Dee Dub
10-11-2012, 06:58 PM
That's cool, just think your undervaluing him a lot. He will end up going ahead of a lot of those players you listed in this thread.

You just may be right. Here are some others that could move up the board too.

Kevin Minter ILB LSU
Sean Porter LB Texas A & M
Chase Thomas OLB Stanford
Kwann Short DT Purdue
Corey Lemonier DE/OLB Auburn
Arthur Brown OLB Kansas State
Demontra Moore DE/OLB Texas A & M