PDA

View Full Version : David Paulson > Leonard Pope???

SidSmythe
10-08-2012, 07:37 PM
David Paulson was our #2 Tight End yesterday.
Noticed him mostly in the Double TE Wing Formation and he got his first career catch.
Leonard Pope was nowhere to be seen.

So with Saunders coming back this week, who's off the roster????

fezziwig
10-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Probably Paulson because isn't Pope the guy Haley brought in ? Haley was probably allowing Paulson some audition time before he sends him to the back of the line. Unemployment line that is. Wonder if they would or could place him on the practice squad ? To guess at my own question and please don't let this stop anyone from their opinion but, to answer my own question Paulson was probably only taken and considered to be a team entity only up to the time Saunders returns.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-08-2012, 08:05 PM
I disagree fezz.

I think paulson has looked pretty good and could develop into something down the road.

pope adds nothing to this roster.

fezziwig
10-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Oh I hear you and I agree he looks good and could amount to something good for this team. I just don't think that will be enough to get around the buddy influence of Haley and Pope.

Chadman
10-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Chadman is checking out your wife Fezzi... just sayin'...

Eddie Spaghetti
10-08-2012, 08:23 PM
tomlin was also very positive today when asked about paulson.

hawaiiansteel
10-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Leonard Pope is as useless as tits on a bull...

Chadman
10-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Not a bad place to be when the 4th string TE is outplaying the 3rd string. Pope/Paulsen... whichever deserves the spot is fine. To be honest- thought Pope played alright the last game he played.

DukieBoy
10-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Hoping Paulson sticks, for the youth and the upside I think he has. Been unimpressed with Pope, nothing he has done stands out positive, except he occupies vertical space more than most. It appears he is not going to be used as a RZ target, which was the one value I thoought he might uniquely offer.

SidSmythe
10-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Pope is rated higher on Madden. Cutting Pope will kill my 2 TE sets on Madden!!!

Shawn
10-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Don't kill Sid's two TE sets on Madden. That would be tragic.

phillyesq
10-09-2012, 10:57 AM
I remember hearing that the coaching staff was very high on Paulson in the preseason. If the Steelers keep Saunders (don't think it's outside the realm of possibilities that he gets cut) I think Pope is gone.

Pope was probably brought in because he was familiar with Haley, but the Steelers aren't going to play Paulson ahead of him game with pretty high stakes if he isn't the better player.

stopplayn
10-09-2012, 11:24 AM
I disagree fezz.

I think paulson has looked pretty good and could develop into something down the road.

pope adds nothing to this roster.

Looks good? What has he done that "looks good"

Slapstick
10-09-2012, 11:45 AM

Compared to Pope?

He has as many catches (1) for more yards (8 vs 7) and plays special teams...

Steelerphile
10-09-2012, 07:04 PM
I'd rather see them hang onto Paulson personally. He needs to add a little weight and power, but he definitely has nice hands. He has some upside and I think Pope has seen his best days, which were never that grand.

hawaiiansteel
10-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Compared to Pope?

He has as many catches (1) for more yards (8 vs 7) and plays special teams...

wow, Paulson and Pope have combined for 2 catches for 15 yards for the season?

Mike Wallace equalled that total last game alone...:razz:

8467thekraken
10-09-2012, 08:03 PM
I will be dissapointed if they risk losing Paulson in favor of Pope.

The future(potentially) at TE may already be on the roster. And both Saunders and Paulson are pups-23 yrs old.

Getting to watch Miller for the next few years will help these boys be ready when their name is called.

Just makes sense. My two, anyway.

Chadman
10-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Don't kill Sid's two TE sets on Madden. That would be tragic.

Gotta say that for once, Madden is playing close to reality- Chadman can't generate any running game with the Steelers & sure as Hell can't stop the opposition's passing game.

Kudos game designers.

hawaiiansteel
10-09-2012, 09:26 PM
October 9, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Roster decision

The Steelers roster exemption for returning tight end Weslye Saunders expires at 4 p.m. Friday, Tomlin said, and it did not sound as if rookie tight end David Paulson would be the one to go.

"I think the big thing is he's proven that it's not too big for him," Tomlin said. "He's an attention-to-detail guy. He works hard. He's been a productive player for us in special teams and that's not something that we underscore when you're talking about an offensive guy from the tight end position. He's been a multiple special teams phase participant."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-pentalties-on-tomlins-list-of-corrective-measures-656768/#ixzz28qZioiIa

Keyplay1
10-10-2012, 01:15 PM
I will be dissapointed if they risk losing Paulson in favor of Pope.

The future(potentially) at TE may already be on the roster. And both Saunders and Paulson are pups-23 yrs old.

Getting to watch Miller for the next few years will help these boys be ready when their name is called.

Just makes sense. My two, anyway.

Paulson would not last 1 second on the PS. He is 100% on passes targeted. And, it was an important one, coming on TS final drive.

Unfortunately, I can never seem to notice the blocking type of stuff but if he contributed anything at all to that phase of the game he is a lock.

Can anyone who sees this type of stuff fill us in?

phillyesq
10-10-2012, 01:39 PM

He had a big block on a return earlier this year. He's a willing blocker who needs to add some strength.

SidSmythe
10-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Gotta say that for once, Madden is playing close to reality- Chadman can't generate any running game with the Steelers & sure as Hell can't stop the opposition's passing game.

Kudos game designers.

thats ur fault cuz my running game works ...and my run D has suffered but prob not as bad as you. haha